Author Topic: Steampunk Kansas  (Read 17900 times)

tophatdan

• Zeppelin Captain
  • I'm not Steampunk, I Live Steampunk....
    • Danism
Re: Steampunk Kansas
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2010, 02:53:08 am »
jeremiah will we see you at coffee rules this week?
you gotta love livin babe, cause dyin is a pain in the ass -----
 frank sinatra

Jeremiah Thomas Amblar

• Officer
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2010, 04:36:54 am »
nope Im working in Salina for the next couple of weekends

Historian

• Gunner
    • The Adventures of the HMA Badger
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2010, 01:16:14 am »
Just thought it was high time I stopped into this thread: My husband and I will be moving to McPherson in mid-August. I don't think we will try anything so ambitious as Steam Century there, but we would love to meet like minded people and make new friends.

Historian

• Gunner
    • The Adventures of the HMA Badger
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2010, 12:05:39 am »
A friend of mine just sent me this link on Facebook, knowing where I was headed. My first thought was "why does she think I am moving to Seattle?" Then I looked a little closer:

Emerald City Steampunk Expo

Looks like it is in the early planning stages yet, but something to look out for.

tophatdan

• Zeppelin Captain
    • Danism
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2010, 02:17:25 am »
i had not heard about this, i will surely be checking it out... i will contact them and i may even vend there!

flashmasterbrass

• Deck Hand
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2010, 04:21:52 am »
Actually, I recently attended a panel at Anime Festival Wichita where the Emerald City Steampunk Exposition was announced. There was a Q&A session with the people who are planning to host it, and it sounds like it is going to be pretty interesting. They have yet to set a venue or date, but they are looking at either November or March. I am on the list of potential volunteers, so I will be in contact with the directors. If I get any information, I'll shoot it your way.

tophatdan

• Zeppelin Captain
    • Danism
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2010, 07:39:46 am »
that would be great!!! please be in touch...

flashmasterbrass

• Deck Hand
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2010, 08:23:43 am »
Will do. Also, for the record, I live in Arkansas City, which is a little less than an hour south of Wichita.

By the way, if you plan on vending there, I assume that means you have products to vend. What are you considering vending? I'm wondering because I could relay the information to the directors for demographical purposes, and also because I would like to know some of the local artisans for purely personal reasons. Y'know, so we could all combine our creative prowess and take the world by storm.

tophatdan

• Zeppelin Captain
    • Danism
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2010, 01:36:29 am »
i am a pipe maker, the only hedgewood pipemaker in the state of kansas. i do shows all over the state, im sure that my pipes would go smashingly with steampunks.

flashmasterbrass

• Deck Hand
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2010, 10:04:37 am »
While it is not entirely steampunk, I highly advise everybody here to attend the Arkansas City Renaissance festival entitled "An Enchanted Summer's End." Last year was the first year, and it turned out excellent, so I am expecting an even better fair this year. It should also be mentioned that a few of the people that are working on the Emerald City Steampunk Exposition are in charge of the fair, so it would be a good chance to meet them and perhaps suggest any ideas you might have. The fair will be held August 20-22 at Paris Park. Attendance is less than $20.00 for an entire weekend, and it is well worth it. Besides, this would be a good chance for you to meet all of the Arkansas City steampunks! I mean it. The two of us are cool people.

tophatdan

• Zeppelin Captain
    • Danism
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2010, 04:43:23 pm »
oh i do wish i could make it, let me check the work schedule and we shall see

Stamm

• Gunner
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2010, 06:36:43 pm »
Stamm saying Hellow from Dodge city, Ks. Its hard to fined other steampunks in Ks.

You know Dodge City Days is coming around the corner.
In loving memory MOM 1966 - 2010.
The one who would let me be who I want to be
Steampunk Outlaw

Stamm

• Gunner
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2010, 04:10:33 pm »
If any body cares Dodge city days is july 30th - aug 8th.

tophatdan

• Zeppelin Captain
    • Danism
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2010, 06:50:46 pm »
i would love to make it but our county fair is running through those dates and i have obligations there.

Stamm

• Gunner
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2010, 02:07:34 pm »
Is any body going to steamcon II in seattle, wa ?

flashmasterbrass

• Deck Hand
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2010, 11:31:38 pm »
Unfortunately, due to time conflicts with work, I generally only attend conventions that are within the state, or at the most are one state away. Some day, though, I'll make it further than that. Just not any time soon.

tophatdan

• Zeppelin Captain
    • Danism
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2010, 01:38:28 am »
i have no interest in returning to seattle...

AirShipLover

• Swab
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2010, 05:59:26 am »
Hi. I live in Kansas City Kansas about 3 minutes away from the Missouri bridge.

flashmasterbrass

• Deck Hand
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2010, 08:39:35 am »
Y'know, me and a group of friends have been talking about moving to Kansas City at some point during the next year and a half. I just need a few more months to get my college degree and save up some money. If we do move up there, we'll be looking ya' up!

tophatdan

• Zeppelin Captain
    • Danism
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2010, 03:31:02 pm »
i get up to overland and lanexa quite a bit, perhaps we should all try to run into one another in that area some time

Kevinius Smythe

• Swab
    • KSImagery Photography
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2010, 02:52:25 pm »
A friend of mine just sent me this link on Facebook, knowing where I was headed. My first thought was "why does she think I am moving to Seattle?" Then I looked a little closer:

Emerald City Steampunk Expo

Looks like it is in the early planning stages yet, but something to look out for.

Very cool and looking forward to hopefully vending at this event! I just sent a FR to their FB page so, hoping to hear something soon. Nice to know there are some more Steampunkers in KS and KC.

NicholasTheRed

• Zeppelin Captain
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2010, 06:00:05 am »
I too was at AFW and now here I am.  I'm really looking forward to Emerald City and have also signed up to volunteer.  I haven't ventured past the design stages on any builds yet as I am still gathering parts, but when I finish something I'll be sure to post pictures.  I did my time in Ark City, finishing the engineering program at Cowley, then spent a year at WSU were I switched my major from engineering to art, spent some time as a machinist until I was laid off, and now I get by on odd jobs and photo shoots.  So I have a myriad of skills I plan to apply to the steampunk arts.  I live in Rock which is the first little town north of Winfield on 77.

flashmasterbrass

• Deck Hand
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2010, 06:26:10 am »
Here is something that might be of interest to all of you Kansas steampunks out there: http://www.newscow.net/story.php?StoryID=4202

In short, there will be $5.00 hot air balloon rides at 7:00PM in Arkansas City in order to raise funds for An Enchanted Summer's End, the local Renaissance festival. If I am able to spare the time, I shall be donning my finest vest and top hat to enjoy such a splendephorous opportunity. Hope to see some of you there, as well.

Guyver

• Zeppelin Captain
  • If you need me, I'll be in the lab.
    • Fauxfire Arms
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2010, 01:53:52 pm »
Captain of the Bedlam here, Kansas City Mo. Midtown. We all need to get together at the next Planet Comicon for a SP group shot or some odd thing.
"If I get kicked out of con for shooting a NERF gun I'm stabbing someone with a toaster!"
Hail Bedlam.

flashmasterbrass

• Deck Hand
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2010, 05:13:44 am »
This isn't directly steampunk, but there is going to be an electronics recycling day here in my hometown of Arkansas City on Saturday, August 28th from 8:00AM to 12:00PM. They will be taking things such as monitors, televisions, cellular phones, and various computer components. All they request is an optional $1.00 donation to help cover the transportation cost of the items. Again, this is not particularly steampunk, but I feel that part of being a steampunk is doing things like recycling to help ensure that items are not simply thrown away when they can instead be repurposed and/or salvaged. I will post more information if it becomes available.