Author Topic: Steampunk Kansas  (Read 17898 times)

NicholasTheRed

• Zeppelin Captain
Re: Steampunk Kansas
« Reply #125 on: July 20, 2011, 06:32:03 am »
Your welcome.

I'd give a report on the events that have happened the past two weekends, but I'm afraid I was not in attendance at the Social in KC or the photoshoot that followed.  And I was at Anime Fest Wichita first and foremost for the anime.  I did go to some of the panels hosted by Airship Isabella, where all of the seats were filled and there were people standing at the back of the room which is a good sign of the amount of interest in the area.  And of course was there for the Emerald City Steampunk Expo. planning meeting as I have been ask to return this year.  I did step out for the photos taken in front of the hotel, and showed off my rubber band gun which was received very favorably.

Jeremiah Vantries

• Deck Hand
« Reply #126 on: July 28, 2011, 11:56:12 am »
Well Nicholas, you were missed at both events, and so was Camille and her friend.

The Social Circus was a lot of fun, unfortunately I missed most of the entertainment due to my engagement of social activities (I am more engaging when in my cups).  Luckily both bands also played the next day at the photo-shoot, so I was able to hear them there and also purchase both of their albums.  The Aeronauts are a lively band that plays a neat sounding, funky sort of music and Master "Bones" Jangles plays pirate music.  The Social Circus venue was lacking in space, G.E. said he was expecting more people, I was glad they didn't show.  It would've been to crowded to move around.  Also the night shift waitresses were not as nice as the lady that worked during the day which made procuring drinks a might un-fun.  Overall we had a great time and am hoping G.E. does more events like this in the future.

The photo-shoot could be described in one word, HOT!  With the lingering effects of the alcohol from the night before and the un-air-conditioned building it was a might miserable.  Dana Marie Monaco did however provide plenty of water, snacks and entertainment.  It was miserable but worth it, check out the pics on my facebook page (Jeremiah Loder) and you can see both photographers(Kris Hanke and Dustin Draper) did a great job with the photos!  You can also find Dana, Kris, Dustin, and G.E. Bailey on face book, we all frequent the Great Plains Steampunk Group, so come look us up and get involved in the growing Steampunk presence in Kansas!!

Delireus

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #127 on: August 03, 2011, 12:42:15 am »
I'm so glad I found you guys! I've just joined brass goggles, but I've been a huge fan of steampunk for years now. I go to school in Manhattan currently (but I'm from Texas and go back there in the summer)

I went to Nakakon, an anime con in Kansas City, for the first time last year and wore my steampunk outfit. It was so much fun! As well as being my first con, I attended a panel on steampunk and met a lot of cool people there. I am very excited about the Emerald City Expo coming up and will be there! I also go to the Kansas City Renaissance festival about once a season and just went to the spring Wichita faire.

Because I'm in Texas now, I have missed all of the Kansas City social things sadly. My boyfriend is from Kansas City and we are in that area quit a bit through the year. Hope to see some of you sometime though!
Home is where the faire is

NicholasTheRed

• Zeppelin Captain
« Reply #128 on: August 03, 2011, 02:35:58 pm »
Welcome Delireus, always glad to find more of us about.  Depending on where abouts in Texas you are you may be in luck to find some steamy goings on this weekend.  There will be a major showing at San Japan in San Antonio this Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, August 5th 6th and 7th.  If you are on facebook, and haven't already, you might want to join SCARS - South Central Armada of Renegade Steampunks, and of course GPS - Great Plains Steampunk, both are open groups and would love to have you.  GPS is where you'll find most of the info about what is going on in Kansas on the steampunk front.  And if you are at Emerald City you'll probably see most of the Kansas group at one point or another.

Delireus

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #129 on: August 03, 2011, 11:58:13 pm »
Yes, I just joined the GPS on Facebook. I won't be able to go to the San Antonio thing, but thanks for the info! I just missed a huge con in Houston (I live right outside the city) because I was in Kansas and the second I get home, I missed a gathering in Kansas City, blah. But yes, I shall be at the Emerald City expo and I can't wait!

NicholasTheRed

• Zeppelin Captain
« Reply #130 on: August 16, 2011, 08:52:47 am »
The new Emerald City Expo site is up, you can find it here http://www.emeraldcitysteampunkexpo.com/  This is kind of a shameless plug because I am listed on the site lol.  Hope to see you all there

Delireus

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #131 on: August 17, 2011, 02:06:27 am »
I'm so incredibly excited! I'm just having a hard time deciding on which pass to buy. Do you think the Emerald Pass is worth it?

http://www.emeraldcitysteampunkexpo.com/#!tickets

It's either that or the Tin pass plus the saturday night concert.

Hope to see you all there!

SteamLove.com

• Deck Hand
    • www.SteamLove.com
« Reply #132 on: September 09, 2011, 01:55:33 pm »
I am not to far from you all. We have been to Planet Comic Con a few times, but not for Steampunk. Maybe we will steam it up for next year! ^^

Delireus

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #133 on: September 21, 2011, 06:57:14 pm »
I'm a student at Kansas State and I've sadly noticed a distinct lack of steampunks here. So, last night, I started a steampunk club! This is a very big step for me, I'm terribly shy around new people and get pretty flustered when i have to talk to them, but I'm really passionate about this so said "to hell with it" and stared it. It's unofficially called the Steampunk Society of Manhattan Kansas, but I'm sure when we have or first meeting, that may change.

It will be next thursday, September 29th, at the library on campus, called Hale Library, in room 401. It will start at 8 and I have the room till 10, but I don't know if it will go that long.

I'm pretty excited/crazy scared. My biggest fear is that either no one will show up, which would be fine, I haven't put too much work in this yet, or that 50+ people will show up and I'll have no idea what to do with them. I've made a flyer for around town and on campus, people write out things on the sidewalk with chalk to advertise activities and clubs, so I've done that as well. Hopefully a nice solid number of 10-20 people will come.

For the first meeting I figured I'd introduce what steampunk is to those who may be new, talk about upcoming cons and events, and talk about what other meetings might be like. So, if anyone is in the area and would like to stop by, that would be awesome.

NicholasTheRed

• Zeppelin Captain
« Reply #134 on: September 25, 2011, 07:50:21 am »
Only six weeks left until Emerald City and still so much to do.  Things are coming together now though.

Delireus, I wish you the best luck with your club.  Hopefully you will have a solid turn out.

Vivienne Crow, who I met through the pen pal thread here on brass goggles and has since become my girlfriend, has put together a flyer for the event I'm hosting at the Expo.

:

SteamLove.com

• Deck Hand
    • www.SteamLove.com
« Reply #135 on: September 25, 2011, 11:09:08 pm »
I come to KC twice a year for events but that is mostly for sci-fi stuff. I only know one or two Steampunks in that area.

NicholasTheRed

• Zeppelin Captain
« Reply #136 on: September 28, 2011, 08:19:04 am »
More steampunk fun to be had soon.  Oct 28 there will another art crawl in Wichita, this time with steampunk artists featured.  For those interested, the meet up point will be Old Town Square at 7 pm.  And then, starting at 9 pm there is a concert at America's Pub with Barrel Bright, Marquis of Vaudeville, and Red Eye Rising.  There will be a costume contest at the concert and the majority of Wichita's steampunks will be roaming the down town area in full kit so don't be afraid to dress up.

BB BlackDog

• Officer
  • aka lieutenant Jager Schnitzel
    • BB BlackDog
« Reply #137 on: September 28, 2011, 02:43:56 pm »
Hi
Anything on in March or April ?
We're over to play Anomaly Con in Denver so looking to visit all things steampunky we can, within reasonable range.
Links to my Band "BB BlackDog"'s website's WWW.steampunkrecords.COM/BBBLACKDOGUK
WWW.YOUTUBE.COM/BBBLACKDOG            
WWW.BBBLACKDOG.EU

NicholasTheRed

• Zeppelin Captain
« Reply #138 on: September 29, 2011, 02:02:57 am »
BB Blackdog, I asked over on the Great Plains Steampunk page on facebook, http://www.facebook.com/groups/great.plains.steampunk/ , and the only other convention in the area anyone knew about was Starfest in April which is also in Denver.  There was a suggestion of maybe trying finding a venue for you to play at.  Great Plains Steampunk is an open group and gets a lot more traffic than this thread does, so feel free to join and ask there about what is happening in the area

BB BlackDog

• Officer
  • aka lieutenant Jager Schnitzel
    • BB BlackDog
« Reply #139 on: September 30, 2011, 12:09:37 pm »
BB Blackdog, I asked over on the Great Plains Steampunk page on facebook, http://www.facebook.com/groups/great.plains.steampunk/ , and the only other convention in the area anyone knew about was Starfest in April which is also in Denver.  There was a suggestion of maybe trying finding a venue for you to play at.  Great Plains Steampunk is an open group and gets a lot more traffic than this thread does, so feel free to join and ask there about what is happening in the area
Thank you kind sir.
We'd be very open to you helping arrange a Venue.
I shall Contact StarFest, and pop over to join the great plains group.
Most helpful, thanks again
Cheers Dale

steampunkrusski

• Deck Hand
  • Steampunk with a Russian twist
« Reply #140 on: October 05, 2011, 11:53:40 pm »
GASP! Fellow Kansians that live steampunk :) I think this is the best night in the past few months lol. Anyways, i'm stationed at Fort Riley and live in the JC area and my wife is from Wichita so I can often be found running around down there as well. Currently i'm deployed to afghansitan but may be on my way back home within the next few days. Hopefully I get to catch the expo coming up [never managed to attend any events :(] so i look forward to actually meeting fellow peoples with the same interests.

lil side note, I got into trouble this deployment for sneeking brass goggles out on a mission and keeping them on my kevlar lol I couldn't resist.
menya zovut Dominik Xavier Tagiov. :) Pleasure to meet you.

Delireus

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #141 on: October 06, 2011, 05:15:34 am »
GASP! Fellow Kansians that live steampunk :) I think this is the best night in the past few months lol. Anyways, i'm stationed at Fort Riley and live in the JC area and my wife is from Wichita so I can often be found running around down there as well. Currently i'm deployed to afghansitan but may be on my way back home within the next few days. Hopefully I get to catch the expo coming up [never managed to attend any events :(] so i look forward to actually meeting fellow peoples with the same interests.

lil side note, I got into trouble this deployment for sneeking brass goggles out on a mission and keeping them on my kevlar lol I couldn't resist.

I hope you get to come home soon! If you have a chance, I've started a steampunk club in Manhattan, which is not far from Fort Riley you know? Currently, we meet on Thursdays at 7-9 on campus, but times may change. If you get the chance, I hope you can make it, and be safe!

Here's our facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/ManhattanKansasSteampunk

steampunkrusski

• Deck Hand
« Reply #142 on: October 06, 2011, 07:40:45 am »

I hope you get to come home soon! If you have a chance, I've started a steampunk club in Manhattan, which is not far from Fort Riley you know? Currently, we meet on Thursdays at 7-9 on campus, but times may change. If you get the chance, I hope you can make it, and be safe!

Here's our facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/ManhattanKansasSteampunk

I would love to. Once i'm back in KS I look forward to being able to join the community to events and such, it does get lonely when you persue a passion by yourself.

NicholasTheRed

• Zeppelin Captain
« Reply #143 on: October 06, 2011, 08:14:40 am »
Welcome, always happy to have more enthusiasts in the area.  I have heard there is another person in Kansas also working on a Russian persona, though it may turn out that you are the same fellow.  Delireus has quickly become the most active Kansan here on brass goggles, and I try to keep this thread updated with news of events as I hear about them.  There are a few others who pop in from time to time.  It will be good to have another roaming the boards.

steampunkrusski

• Deck Hand
« Reply #144 on: October 06, 2011, 12:47:45 pm »
It could quite possibly be myself, so far I have only ran into two Russians from Russia that reside in the Kansas area. Ofcourse i'm sure there's more as well as people with the interest in our culture but i'm well known for being the crazy russki lol. I'll be browsing the boards pretty often and have been spreading the word about the steampunk culture.

NicholasTheRed

• Zeppelin Captain
« Reply #145 on: October 24, 2011, 10:17:27 am »
Don't forget about the art crawl and concert in downtown Wichita this coming Friday the 28th

steampunkrusski

• Deck Hand
« Reply #146 on: October 30, 2011, 11:39:52 am »
Yet another event i've missed :( This whole process of getting back to Kansas is taking much longer than expected. I do look forward to meeting people though ^,^ How is everyone?

NicholasTheRed

• Zeppelin Captain
« Reply #147 on: October 30, 2011, 12:57:32 pm »
Unfortunately I missed the art crawl and concert as well, building a rather large prop for Emerald City next weekend and couldn't spare the time for the fun and still be able to get it finished on time.  Everyone is getting everything in order for the Expo next weekend so excitement is high in the Kansas steampunk community right now.

Delireus

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #148 on: October 31, 2011, 03:42:06 am »
I've been planning a gun for months, but school and theatre have gotten in the way and I don't think I'll have time to make it before the con, but I plan to have a great time none the less! I'm so excited  :D

NicholasTheRed

• Zeppelin Captain
« Reply #149 on: November 03, 2011, 01:28:02 pm »
One more day until Emerald City!