The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 20, 2014, 03:01:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forum highlights on twitter: @BG_couk

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk Kilts  (Read 13569 times)
Dr. Zeus
Snr. Officer
United States United States

« on: August 21, 2009, 02:27:12 pm »

Kilts.  I've never really considered wearing one, but when I started thinking of new things to make, the idea came upon me and won't seem to leave.  It's been several days, and still the idea is jammed into my cranium solidly.

The idea came upon me while examining the bracer I wear.  I wear this every day.  It is my watch, my purse, and my tool collection.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It has a flashlight on a metal tentacle, a pair of scissors, two screwdrivers and a pair of fingernail clippers.

Thick leather.  Metal.  Condiut.  Gadgets.  This is what I was thinking about when I thought of a steampunk kilt.

So I did some searching.  I found some steampunk kilts

These are just... not what I'm looking for.  They look kind of like a utilikilt with cloth gears sewn on.  The rivetwork is pretty cool on the first one, but that's the FIRST step in what i'm looking for, not the last.
is probably more the style I was thinking about for the kilt itself, it looks more leathery and less brown-denimy, ... but I'd still need some gadgets in there... some metal plating with attachments... Some utility other than just a couple of loops.

So I guess my question is - is there anything else out there I haven't seen?  Any suggetions on where to get kilt patterns or what kind of gadgets could go on  a kilt?  Any things to put on there other than leather, metal plating, electrical conduit and gadgets?

And I know kilts often come with some frilly purse looking jobby in the front (as if it's not feminine enough to wear a skirt, we get to carry purses too!) Any thoughts on what can be done with that?  Just standard riveted leather would look neat, but not really set it apart from any other pouch.

Zeus - god of ideas
Utini420
Immortal

it is OK to tell me when its time to shut up

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 03:14:20 pm »

Hay, dude.
First, I love your wrist purse.  As in, I think I might go make one.
I also dig the utility kilt stuff.  I'm a big fan of Utilikilts, I've got two.  More pockets than you could shake a stick at, but pretty conservative in design.  I've seen the kilts you posted, love 'em.

Take a look at this artist, I think you might dig it:
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6209554

And here's an Instructable on making a utility kilt:
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-a-Cargo-Kilt/

I've got a few other ideas on kilts and utility belts, but no time just this moment to bang them out.

If you have a Dremmel, everything is compatible.
Utini's Workshop:   http://utini420.blogspot.com
jringling
Immortal

convicted Rogue and Vagabond…long story…

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 03:21:03 pm »

And I know kilts often come with some frilly purse looking jobby in the front (as if it's not feminine enough to wear a skirt, we get to carry purses too!)
easy now... comments like that could cause some trouble... you are referring to a sporran... if you can wear a kilt without a sporran, you are not man enough to wear a kilt...  Wink

Dr. Zeus
Snr. Officer

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 03:32:31 pm »

And I know kilts often come with some frilly purse looking jobby in the front (as if it's not feminine enough to wear a skirt, we get to carry purses too!)
easy now... comments like that could cause some trouble... you are referring to a sporran... if you can wear a kilt without a sporran, you are not man enough to wear a kilt...  Wink

Hey, I wouldn't be posting this if I didn't intend to wear one myself. Smiley   I always felt that those who wore kilts were simply people who didn't give a damn if they looked masculine or feminine.  They wanted to wear one, so they did, and shove it if you don't like it.  But manly?  Maybe 200 years ago, but at this point, a skirt and purse are feminine.  If you want to wear one, cool.  But that's like wearing brass goggles and saying they're fashionable.  Cool, yes.  Cool 300 years ago, yes.  But fashionable.... no, they're for people who want to look good to themselves, not to others.

In a somewhat related tangent... the name "Alison" used to mean "Alice's Son", and was a very masculine name.  But these days... it's pretty feminine, for some unknown reason.  Time has a way of changing perspective.

Zeus - god of manly skirts
Utini420
Immortal

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 04:19:22 pm »

I dunno, y'all.  I sport a kilt, sans sporran, but granted its not that old scotish plaid stuff.  And yet I still come out feeling pretty darn secure in my masculinity and fashionability.  The thing sure does draw in feminine attention.
jringling
Immortal

convicted Rogue and Vagabond…long story…

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 04:39:29 pm »

I have never worn a utilikilt, so it may not apply to them, but if I do not wear a sporran with my old scotish plaid kilt, the "thing sure does draw in feminine attention"... if you know what I mean... wink, wink, nudge, nudge...  hence my previous comment...
TimeTinker
Immortal
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Steampunk Facilitator MVSS

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 04:42:31 pm »

Absolutely right Utini - the kilt is without doubt a very masculine garment and it never fails to get the interest of the ladies.  Sporrans are essential if you are wearing a traditional kilt which does not have pockets - the sporran is your pocket.  I must say I have never seen a frilly one, decorated, hairy or bemetalled but never frilly. A sporran is the perfect item to steampunk and accessorise. By showing a lack of understanding and a prejudicial view of what you don't understand Dr Zeus you are missing an opportunity. May I suggest that you actually learn a little more about kilts before making such sweeping and offensive statements. If you said similar things over this side of the pond you would likely be picking up your teeth as someone demonstrated their masculinity to you.

The sporran also hides your blushes a little since the drape of a traditional kilt actually makes your manhood a little too evident to the ladies as jringling points out.

May I direct your attention to the following thread where there has been extensive talk of kilts and may provide alternative references for you.

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,5669.0.html

BTW Fashionable simply means "popular". Within steampunk circles (i.e. this population) goggles are very fashionable. They are perhaps not fashionable within the general population of the United States if that is what you mean.  If you want to argue semantics and meanings try to be clear about what you are saying.

BE SPLENDID!
Utini420
Immortal

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 04:59:52 pm »

A sporran is not required with a Utilikilt, as the liberal use of snaps renders them unnecessary.  This is no way detracts from the feminine appeal.
akumabito
Goggleologist
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 08:52:33 pm »

Take a look at this artist, I think you might dig it:
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6209554

Cool even for non-kilt wearing types.. Smiley

EDIT: Ignore that comment and change it to "freakin' AWESOME stuff for all!!" http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=28555095 DO WANT!!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 08:57:26 pm by akumabito » Logged

Athena
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 08:54:55 pm »

Now, the question is, do you wear it traditionally, with no underwear? (I knew someone who did. Fun times...)
Utini420
Immortal

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009, 09:02:35 pm »

Wait, what?  What clown's runnin' around sportin' drawers under his kilt?  Normally this distinction is meaningless to me, but if the chap has drawers on under it, then and only then is he wearing a skirt.

Many times have I been tested, and never once have I failed a kilt check.  Cool
Athena
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2009, 09:06:21 pm »

Good job!!!! (My sister and I agree.....+20 to your charisma.)
Utini420
Immortal

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2009, 09:15:19 pm »

Athena
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2009, 09:20:49 pm »

*laughing* Agreed sir! But I do have one question about wearing it "traditionally"....*ahem* Does it count for females as well? (I'm dying to make a utilikilt!)  Grin
Utini420
Immortal

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2009, 09:22:39 pm »

Of course it does. Why wouldn't it?
In fact, one might go so far as to speculate that wearing it regimental, as the Scots say, would be the only real factor making it a kilt instead of a pleated skirt, even moreso for women than for men.

You realize we're just chasing eachother back and forth between these two threads, right?  Cheesy
Athena
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2009, 09:23:47 pm »

Well this is gonna be fun.....*evil smirk*

I was wondering if I wore one, because I'm female, would everyone just think it was a skirt instead of a kilt.  Angry
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 09:28:56 pm by Athena » Logged
Utini420
Immortal

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2009, 09:31:34 pm »

Naw, anyone worth their salt could tell the difference.  Most women seem fashion conscious enough, and most guys are trained to scan for panty lines.
Athena
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2009, 09:35:05 pm »

... most guys are trained to scan for panty lines.

That's good to know, seeing as how I won't be wearing any.  Shocked
Utini420
Immortal

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2009, 09:36:35 pm »

And that's how they'll know its not a skirt!  Kiss
Athena
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2009, 09:43:20 pm »

Right. *blush* This thread's been derailed enough. I'm going back to my corner now.
Utini420
Immortal

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2009, 09:49:27 pm »

To make up for derailing the thread and help it back on course, here's another link to making your own kilt:

http://www.scottishdance.net/highland/MakingKilt.html
Athena
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2009, 09:53:01 pm »

You realize we're just chasing eachother back and forth between these two threads, right?  Cheesy

Yeah...I'll have to look at that site tho. I liked the one you posted earlier, it looked like it was a little clearer on the instructions.
Utini420
Immortal

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2009, 10:00:09 pm »

Are you looking to make a traditional, "Scotish Style" kilt, or one of the modern "urban" kilts?
Athena
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2009, 10:01:52 pm »

One of the more modern urban style. And that Etsy site is very nice...I will most likely be ordering from it in the near future.  Grin
Dr. Zeus
Snr. Officer

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2009, 11:07:14 pm »

By showing a lack of understanding and a prejudicial view of what you don't understand Dr Zeus you are missing an opportunity. May I suggest that you actually learn a little more about kilts before making such sweeping and offensive statements. If you said similar things over this side of the pond you would likely be picking up your teeth as someone demonstrated their masculinity to you.

It's wierd. I never understood it, but for some reason, there's a decent percentage of kilt clad men out there who seem rather jovial, and then there's another percentage that are just looking for a fight.  You kind of seem like the latter.  I showed no lack of understanding.  No prejudice. (I have a master's degree studying prejudice, I think I'd know it when I saw it)  I simply showed a different opinion than your own.  I'm not looking for a fight, and I think you're looking into this a bit too far - the only offense was inferred, not implied, and the threat of physical violence was not only uncalled for, but kind of childish.  On this side of the pond, fighting skill is more useful than masculinity in the act of violence. Smiley  I've sparred with more than one woman who was a real scrapper.

My opinion is actually based on the fact that I would be unable to wear this garment at work.  I teach at a rather large University in New England, and I'd be cutting the throat of my career to attempt to teach or conduct research while wearing a kilt.  Perhaps after tenure, when they really can't fire me, but before that it would be career suicide.  It doesn't matter if I like it.  What matters is that 90 percent of the peple who see me will see me as a man in a skirt and purse..  Take offense if you like, but I wouldn't reccomend fighting the whole world - there are better fights to be fought.

For the rest, I appreciate all the websites so far.  The instructable on the utilikilt was very good and complete.  The measurements and what not are really neccessary for this sort of garment.  I'm wondering how it will come out when made in leather.  While the utilikilt is a good starting pattern, I really want this to be a steampunk creation.  Gadgets, electronics, Metal, Rivets, Leather, cogs if possible, - I want this to be a batman utility steampunk kilt.  I was thinking of going with a tartan pattern, just so it's more obvious to americans that it's a kilt and not a man crossdressing (I've met only a handful who would ever tell the difference) but I'm not sure it would have a steampunk look that way, and I'd really like to make it in leather.  And something tells me plaid leather would look a bit silly.

Ironically enough, I get all my thin leather by going to thrift stores and buying leather skirts.  Technically, I'll be taking a skirt, and making something not a skirt, that will often be mistaken for a skirt.  Wierd.

Zeus - god of kilification
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: