The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 22, 2017, 07:38:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Club of the Damned- the Fortean Society  (Read 12072 times)
Victoria The Mistress
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #100 on: August 31, 2009, 08:04:34 pm »

Actually I would like a condition that causes me to see people in anachronistic dress - plenty of ideas to steal !!
Victoria The Mistress
Snr. Officer

« Reply #101 on: September 23, 2009, 10:31:16 pm »

I did it, didn't I?

Murdered another thread.

Sorry.
Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Zeppelin Overlord

Fellow of the Victorian Steampunk Society

« Reply #102 on: September 23, 2009, 11:32:35 pm »

The Sheffield Star had a nice bit in it today on Dr David Clarke regular FT contributor. He has done a book on UFO's utilising the Freedom of Information Act.

Nice chap, he did a talk on Springheeled Jack at LX earlier this year.

Proudly giving the entire Asylum The Finger!
Dr cornelius quack
Rogue Ætherlord

Arrant Carney. Phmebian Cultural Attache.

« Reply #103 on: September 26, 2009, 10:54:09 pm »

The aliens have a Freedom of Information Act?

Wow! They are advanced!

Such are the feeble bases on which many a public character rests.

Today, I am two, separate Gorillas.
Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #104 on: September 27, 2009, 12:45:38 am »

The aliens have a Freedom of Information Act?

Wow! They are advanced!

No much weirder the Ministry of Defence has one!
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #105 on: October 01, 2009, 05:17:37 pm »

I suppose I can advertise this here as well, I have completed my dissertation on Victorian Mesmerism, and if you would like a paper bound copy, please PM me. They will cost, oooh, lets say a tenner, I'm feeling generous today.

Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

www.etsy.com/shop/celticroseart
Dr cornelius quack
Rogue Ætherlord

Arrant Carney. Phmebian Cultural Attache.

« Reply #106 on: October 04, 2009, 09:45:26 am »

I dropped a piece of toast this morning and it didn't land butter side down.

(Note to self. Remember to buy butter.)

Dr. Q.
Herr Klinger
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Hmmm... Must shoot better photos...

« Reply #107 on: November 17, 2009, 12:11:29 am »

Not sure if this is truly Fortean or not, but here's a link to PSI self tests...

http://www.irva.org/resources/tests.html

You have to sign up, but no terrible personal information is taken. (Unless the psychics really want it, then you don't even have to type it in!)

"In what country is there a place for people like me?"
~ Andrew Ryan
Violet Rose
Snr. Officer

« Reply #108 on: November 21, 2009, 10:54:03 pm »

If a tree falls in an empty forest, does it make a sound?
Answer: Yes if the laws of physics hold for that area of forest.

And that's why the philosophy department is always a long way from the physics department, at most universities, anyway...

Wink

Unless of course rooms are allotted alphabetically

I'm in Darkshines sewing swap!

Declaring war on mediocrity and a pox on the foot soldiers of stupidity
ulfnir
Gunner

Because the undead won't kill themselves.

« Reply #109 on: November 22, 2009, 01:44:32 pm »

Another British Fortean here. I would be honoured to join this  club. A singular lack of pirates is also welcome.

As to Fortean experiences, yes I have had a few, here and there.

You may be smarter than me, but can YOU shoot four rounds a minute?
Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #110 on: November 22, 2009, 04:41:02 pm »

Not sure if this is truly Fortean or not, but here's a link to PSI self tests...

http://www.irva.org/resources/tests.html

You have to sign up, but no terrible personal information is taken. (Unless the psychics really want it, then you don't even have to type it in!)

Unless one has taken the precaution of lining ones hat with tinfoil.
SashaGears
Gunner

Black Market Treasure Hunter

hexinfiniti
« Reply #111 on: December 30, 2009, 01:27:53 am »

when I was younger I used to hear screams and whispers coming from the closet door at night(while I was awake) and so now I don't sleep with a closet door open, I've also awoke in the morning ((about three weeks ago)) to find scratches and slashes all over my torso, one running from my stomach all the way to my upper armpit, and several smaller ones all over, even one from my nose to the hinge of my jaw.

very clean, straight cuts, mother said feather comforters sometimes do that but....I don't use my feather comforter when I sleep, I use a plush blanket.

so I suppose, perhaps, I could potentially belong here as well?

"We're incredibly misunderstood, and so they label us witches...we're locked away in Containment zones, by those who would condemn us."-Noah, Arc of Gelen
Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #112 on: December 30, 2009, 01:34:27 am »

You have an evil monkey living in your closet.
SashaGears
Gunner

Black Market Treasure Hunter

hexinfiniti
« Reply #113 on: December 30, 2009, 02:56:19 am »

it was more like an alligator mixed with a howling cat type of thing.

but I have seen an evil goat before, it chased me around the petting zoo when I was small.
Miriavas
Deck Hand

Prof of Myriad

« Reply #114 on: January 20, 2010, 10:45:38 pm »

Ah! This, it would seem is the correct club in ingratiate myself with. If you will have me.

I have had a fair number of fortean events happen to myself and my family.  I grew up in a haunted house, and as such have always retained a fascination with the subject.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 10:47:11 pm by Miriavas » Logged

For the Benefit of Brass Goggles
the following signature is forthwith to be announced.

Signed your humble servant,
Herr Döktor
Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
Governor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #115 on: January 20, 2010, 10:51:42 pm »

I have neglected this club- please, do tell of your experience; even if we're only 50/50 in our belief of your tale, then, on average, we are all Fortean!

Wink

Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #116 on: January 22, 2010, 01:35:20 am »

I do like to keep an open mind, but over the New Year there were a lot of reports of UFO's. However a lot of people (a group of steampunks included at Burn Hall Hotel), celebrated the New Year by lighting and launching Chinese Wish lanterns, which provide an unearthly (but fun) experience, which to the unknowing would look to be an UFO.

Indeed one of our number was tracking on a message board 'UFO' sightings to much amusement of us all.
Lilith-Nighthawk
Zeppelin Captain

beautious thorn

« Reply #117 on: January 22, 2010, 09:21:36 am »

Science doesn't know all, and some people that claim to be real scientists refuse the seemingly impossible to be real. Until then can prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the more realist "mythic" creatures have never and don't exist, I will continue to doubt them. There is proof that higher and lower frequency sounds are near impossible for most humans hearing. I proposse there exists a  group of visual frequencies we can see, and a group we don't see.

When i was under a year old I experienced  what could be seen as triple death. I remember the feeling of the place like i remember my name and age. It was quite soothing dark and almost womb like, with a sound that was like a super sonic breeze. The "breeze" was very gentle to, not harsh at all.

I remember nothing about my grandfather other then he was warm and spoke to me in the myriad of languages he knew. He died when i was three and a half. My mom confirmed when I was older that he did speak to me and my little sister in those languages some times. I remember nothing more then the warmth and the sound of those languages.

I wonder how they would explain some peoples natural aversion to certain languages? Or empathic abilities. How would they explain a mothers intuition?

"I've been sliding through an interdimensional wormhole seeing how many ways people like you can screw up civilization!"
        - Quinn Mallory, "Sliders"

"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who's in ruttin' command here."
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #118 on: January 22, 2010, 08:47:45 pm »

"Science doesn't know all, and some people that claim to be real scientists refuse the seemingly impossible to be real. Until then can prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the more realist "mythic" creatures have never and don't exist, I will continue to doubt them."

The problem is you can´t really prove scientifically that something doesn´t exist. What Sagan referred to as the "Dragon in my garage" problem.

"There is proof that higher and lower frequency sounds are near impossible for most humans hearing. I proposse there exists a  group of visual frequencies we can see, and a group we don't see."

Well, we´ve known about there existing non-visible electromagnetic waves for over a hundred years.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Miriavas
Deck Hand

Prof of Myriad

« Reply #119 on: January 22, 2010, 09:18:59 pm »

"There is proof that higher and lower frequency sounds are near impossible for most humans hearing. I proposse there exists a  group of visual frequencies we can see, and a group we don't see."

Well, we´ve known about there existing non-visible electromagnetic waves for over a hundred years.

What an excellent way of putting it.

I've also pondered on the new astrophysical fad of M theory.  Multi-verses, and extra dimensions laying around like lost socks or keys. I think perhaps the 21 grams of weight the soul is proposed to weigh is allowed or able to exist in these extra dimensions. Perhaps the visual for these extra dimensions can be in the unseeable range.

I recently watched a ghost hunting show where instead of the normal infra-red cameras, they used an ultra violet camera.  In it it seemed when they got intelligent responses, a purple or bluish mist traveled around.  I would like to see more work done in this spectrum, it seems they might have something.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #120 on: January 22, 2010, 09:30:17 pm »

Ehh, what I said was not meant to be a defense of invisible beings.
Miriavas
Deck Hand

Prof of Myriad

« Reply #121 on: January 22, 2010, 09:38:07 pm »

I suppose I flipped this around on you. Cheesy

Who was it that said, the more we know the more we know we know we don't know anything?

Science is changing and morphing with new data at all times. Theory's are used and discarded when a more perfect theory comes along.  You say until they are proven you will continue to doubt them. People believes in the resistance of things like Atoms, black holes, etc. before they were proven.

An open, yet critical mind is necessary for the pursuit of science.
Lilith-Nighthawk
Zeppelin Captain

beautious thorn

« Reply #122 on: January 22, 2010, 11:29:10 pm »

I am open to new discoveries in other sectors of the field. But people hardly study paranormal activity scientifically. They tend to take the attitude that if we can't get a body and measure it then it cant exist. I still want them to explain a mothers intuition and other human abilities that are beyond easy explanation. Cheesy
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #123 on: January 22, 2010, 11:39:58 pm »

I´m still waiting to meet someone whose female intuition is better than pure chance.

I´ve had an interest in the paranormal all my life, but I still wouldn´t want to spend my working time investigating it. So much chaff, so little wheat.
Miriavas
Deck Hand

Prof of Myriad

« Reply #124 on: January 23, 2010, 01:55:22 am »

I´m still waiting to meet someone whose female intuition is better than pure chance.

I'll explain it! Ever watch lie to me?  It's part of us that read people's emotions and whether they are lying. Ticks, tones of voice, a million little things. We aren't aware of doing the reading, it's subconscious, but it's from years of experience.  Why women? we are wired differently, and more aware of emotions than our dear male counterparts.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: