The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 20, 2017, 06:46:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Club of the Damned- the Fortean Society  (Read 12068 times)
Herr Döktor
Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
Governor
Master Tinkerer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« on: August 03, 2009, 12:08:50 am »

Welcome, one and all to another little corner of the world touched by insatiable appetite for the odd and unquantifiable:

The Club of the Damned- the Fortean Society

Only one requirement for entry, a healthy scepticism tempered with an open mind and sense of wonder.

So, anyone been caught in a frog fall, time slip, seen a ghost, phantom airship, or anything else inexplicable but experiential?

Archaeo_fozz
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 12:40:56 am »

count me in, for i have had odd experiences a plenty the most recent of wich inolves me bing photographed with what appears to be the fain impression of an old lady in the back ground... most disturbing i shall see if i can retriive the image for your veiwing delight.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence!"
--Some archaeologist
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 04:00:49 am »

I don't know that I would consider myself damned (no matter what my mother says), but I've certainly had my fair bit of odd occurrences.

Granted, I like to go ghost hunting, so I'm regularly *asking* for trouble. Smiley

Action! Adventure! Possible Harlotry!
Abis do it for SCIENCE!
BrassGoggles 2012 Pin-Up Calander!
Bianca von Bavensen
Gunner

I started it tomorrow, I will finish yesterday.

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 04:17:56 am »

I've certainly had my fair share of odd experiences.  The strangest had to be when my friend and I were spending an evening cruising around the local lake, talking about the supernatural and what have you, when we glanced down into the ditch along the roadside and saw something crashing through the underbrush, keeping pace with my car.  She instantly concluded that it was something supernatural, but I still haven't come to any conclusions as to what it might have been. 
Right up there is a time another friend and I were heading down a small country road, we crossed a bridge, saw a patch of fog on the road ahead and thought nothing of it until it moved quite suddenly up the hill and into the woods. O.o 

So, yes, I humbly ask for admittance into this club, it seems like just the place for me. ^^
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 07:52:22 am »

hmm...I spoke to my dog this evening as I was getting a pencil from the drawer of the built-in desk in the living room; I distinctly felt his presence behind me and caught a glimpse of his form as he moved toward and behind me. I started to and nearly did speak to him in the baby-talk-like voice we all used, to verbally stroke him or even just speak to him -- and then suddenly I remembered that Pretzel (his name, and such a wonderful little dachshund he was, too) has been dead for nearly three months!

This is only the latest in a long string of such occurrences, ESP encounters (mostly acts and experiences of what family and locals have referred to as "finding"), etc. that I have experienced for as long as I can remember.

This might therefore be a place where I could just possibly fit in.

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Archaeo_fozz
Snr. Officer

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 01:25:38 pm »

I feel it appropriate to bring to your attention a strange thing that happend to me during the time i spent living alone in the woods  a few years ago, this period of time lasted a little over two weeks, and i did it.. well just because I know how.

For the first few nights sat by the fire trying to sleep ones mind begins to play tricks on you. you will begin to hear all kinds of menacing and ghastly sounds it the darkness that lies just outside your own glowing orange ring of saftey. After these initial first few days the noises of the wildernes however do become quite as normal to you as the sound a motorcar passing in the street or areroplanes passing over head and you begin to pay them no attention, and thus I firmly belive that the events that transpired upon my 10th day out there was no trick of the mind.

It was late septeber 2004, though the specific date now eludes me, it was relatively warm and i had not been drinking nor sleeping, when around the time of about half past one in the morning i began to hear quite clearly the cries of a baby in the woods, at first i assumed it was the sound of the branches of trees rubbing against each other squeaking in the damp night air, as they frequently do. However after some time the crying became more distinct and obvious to me. being unable to fathom why i would be able hear the cries of a child in such a remote place at such an odd time I took up my wood cutting axe and my knife and set out to find the souce of the sound. My proceeding two hour search in the dark was utterly in vain when eventualy the crying ceased, I wandered a little while longer and came across nothing living nor dead, then headed back to my camp unable to work out what had happend, I did in truth put it down in the end to some trick of the wind in the trees.

I never thought of this incedent for years afterward, untill I attended my first ever achaeological dig in 2006. This dig took place in a feild adjacent to the woods where I lived for that sort period of my life, and it was the excavation of some victorian copper mill cottages, the dig revelaved the outline of the cottages and a few atrefacts of the glorious passed age, though the strangest and indeed rarest thing that was unearthed was a preserved skeleton of a child - a rare thing indeed since the un-developed bones of children rarely escape the ravages of time and nature.

All that I have said here has been the unabridged truth as it happend, i hva eused descrpuitions of the place and setting to put you into the frame of mind that i my self was in, but I can assure you that no exaduration has been made, and no lies told. Make of this Story what you will, I would be interested to hear peoples veiws, since I can honestly say that i still am unsure about what I heard in the darkness on that strange night.
Bianca von Bavensen
Gunner

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 05:23:16 pm »

Wow, that's quite interesting.  Was it happy chance that you were on that dig or did you join it because you knew the area?
Isobel
Deck Hand

Leave it to me.

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 06:28:00 pm »

I am an avid ghost-hunter and a member of our city's historical society, so I get to tell local ghost stories on a regular basis.  (I sideline as a storyteller).  So, I suppose this just might be the place for me.  I've seen the inexplicable, and lived through the unmentionable, my live is an oddity in and of itself.

Fate and life, both cruel and beautiful.
Archaeo_fozz
Snr. Officer

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 08:07:24 pm »

'twas by happy chance I ended up there.. even when i was on the dig the location hadnt crossed my mind. Was a weird experience that I shall never forget for aslong as I live.

Are there any people here who belive in or have expeirenced un-natural inhabitants of this world that are not ghosts?
JohnSix
Zeppelin Admiral
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Doctor of Magic

Johnsix
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 08:29:46 pm »

I think I would enjoy such a club.
I have a large interest in the paranormal, but I take a more disbelieving slant than most.

I've experienced many things that at the time I believed were paranormal, but after a bit of research and reading I came to a more scientific and reasonable conclusion.

Steampunk Radio Play.
Now taking auditions.
http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=16578.0
Archaeo_fozz
Snr. Officer

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 08:39:12 pm »

is science in it self not a form of paranormal? i think that far too much stock is put into science, afterall it contains the same attributes of any magical beleif... primarily the belife that life the universe and everything is controlled and govened by omniscient forces that cannot be changed, and are in many cases difficult to harness.

- Just my two pence
JohnSix
Zeppelin Admiral

Doctor of Magic

Johnsix
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 08:49:59 pm »

Not really.
Science doesn't believe that any of the forces of nature are "omniscient".

These forces aren't taken on faith, they are measurable and demonstrable and they are clearly defined.

But science isn't just a library of facts, it's a process for learning the truth.
A process that can be applied to the paranormal.
Grymm
Officer
England England

"If I want your opinion I'll thrash it out of you"

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2009, 09:01:26 pm »

"If any spiritualistic medium can do stunts, there is no more need for special conditions than there is for a chemist to turn down lights, start operations with a hymn, and ask whether there's any chemical present that has affinity with something named Hydrogen."

Charles Fort.

Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis.

I've tried to see it from your point of view but I can't fit my head up your arse'ole too.
Archaeo_fozz
Snr. Officer

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2009, 09:03:09 pm »

im not sure i agree, in all my years studying science (mostly physics and biology, i have to admit a defecit of knowledge where chemistry is concerned) I have found that much of science is based upon theroeritcal ideas, the empirical evidence for which can only be obtained with in our tinesyst realm of the cosmos... i think that there are many MANY forces at work that cannot be explained by modern science, simply because scientists are looking in the wrong places.

We have infact.. in my humble opinion addapted the same attitude that religious thinkiers and workers have adopted in the past - the paranormal is what runs the world and science is heresy, only we have it the other way around.

Although i have to agree with you the point that yes the paranormakl CAN be explained through scientific proceedures, provided that we are willing to break the boundarys of our limited scientific knowledge!.. hence my fascination.

to re-enforce my point i presnt you with the flight of the bumble bee conundrum.
Herr Döktor
Governor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 09:18:50 pm »

Oh dear. The fallacy that is the bumble bee- Hitler was fond of telling his engineers that the bumble cannot, by the rules of science, fly- but in his ignorance still does! It's not the poor bumble bee that was ignorant- 'twas Adolf:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bumblebee#Flight

Edited to add:
A true scientist will constantly question thier model of the universe, only those blinded by the seeming all-answering nature of modern science consider everything explicable and proven- after all, 'nature abhor'd a vacuum', til Magdeburg...

Wink
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 09:23:55 pm by Herr Döktor » Logged
Sir Nikolas Vendigroth
Captain Spice
Immortal

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2009, 09:22:45 pm »

is science in it self not a form of paranormal? i think that far too much stock is put into science, afterall it contains the same attributes of any magical beleif... primarily the belife that life the universe and everything is controlled and govened by omniscient forces that cannot be changed, and are in many cases difficult to harness.

- Just my two pence

Science is a process of observation and logical deduction, not a belief or even a set of beliefs. It's a flawed assumption to liken it to a magical belief.

Quote from: elShoggotho
HE WRESTLES BEARS, HE DRINKS HIS ALE, HE LOVES HIS AUTUNITE! ON WEDNESDAYS HE GOES SHOPPING, THIS SONG IS UTTER SHI-

PM me about adding a thread to the OT archive!

_|¯¯|_
r[]_[]
JohnSix
Zeppelin Admiral

Doctor of Magic

Johnsix
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2009, 09:26:01 pm »

Then do you propose that the bumble bee flies by magic?
Pixie dust and happy thoughts perhaps?
 Tongue

This is a common myth that physics can't explain how the bee flies.

It originates when they first studied bee flight and they were indeed unable to explain where the lift was coming from.
It wasn't until high speed photography until they realised the problem.
They assumed the bee's wing remained straight and flat as it flapped. However the wing in fact twists and distorts providing the extra lift.

Yes much of science is theoretical but that by no means implies that they are just guessing. There is alot we do know about the universe.
They use verifiable equations and such based on what we do know.

And science isn't as dogmatic as some people think it is. It's very open to change by it's nature.
If you have clearly, verifiable, repeatable evidence a new theory will be accepted.
Herr Döktor
Governor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2009, 09:27:57 pm »

Then do you propose that the bumble bee flies by magic?
Pixie dust and happy thoughts perhaps?
 Tongue

This is a common myth that physics can't explain how the bee flies.

It originates when they first studied bee flight and they were indeed unable to explain where the lift was coming from.
It wasn't until high speed photography until they realised the problem.
They assumed the bee's wing remained straight and flat as it flapped. However the wing in fact twists and distorts providing the extra lift.

Yes much of science is theoretical but that by no means implies that they are just guessing. There is alot we do know about the universe.
They use verifiable equations and such based on what we do know.

And science isn't as dogmatic as some people think it is. It's very open to change by it's nature.
If you have clearly, verifiable, repeatable evidence a new theory will be accepted.

I think you just said what I just said!

Co-incidence?  Fort would be proud!

Smiley
Bianca von Bavensen
Gunner

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2009, 09:28:36 pm »

Isobel, sounds like a wonderful job!  There is an old hotel in a nearby town, The Baker Hotel, that used to be The Spot back in the 40s and 50s.  It was really a beautiful place, but unfortunately when the mineral baths dried up the hotel was forced to shut down.  It's supposedly quite haunted, with allot of anecdotal evidence like doors slamming shut, footsteps, and things like that.  It's a favourite local activity of bored teenagers to spend a night at the Baker.  I've always wanted to do an actual investigation, ala TAPS, in that building. ^^  
Mr. Fozz, that was a lucky coincidence, then!  
I tend to be allot more skeptical now than I used to be.  I used to believe almost anything, so I guess it's my system trying to balance itself out. :p I like to have concrete evidence of a thing...video, photos, recordings, scientific readings, etc.  Of course, all those can be flubbed or faked, as well.  I suppose I'm just hard to convince, but I think it's more like a healthy level of skepticism.  But, I want to believe!  It's an interesting idea that science and the paranormal are very similar, and I agree that they aren't mutually exclusive.  I was reading about String Theory and Membrane Theory, and the scientific possibility of alternate universes and it was all very interesting.  And it seems that if parallel universes are possible, then why not ghosts and werewolves and all sorts of supernatural phenomenon?  Just because it hasn't been proven doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.  I have an open mind. ^^
JohnSix
Zeppelin Admiral

Doctor of Magic

Johnsix
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2009, 09:32:27 pm »

I think you just said what I just said!

Co-incidence?  Fort would be proud!

Smiley
Both of us using wikipeda?
Too spooky to be a coincidence I think.  Wink
Herr Döktor
Governor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2009, 09:34:52 pm »

I think Fort would have approved of Wikipedia: a constantly changing, never fixed, encyclopedia free to, and editable by, all!

I even think he'd of liked the occasional piece of vandalism...

Smiley
Archaeo_fozz
Snr. Officer

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2009, 09:53:15 pm »

the bubmblee bee thing is a mth.. damn i feel a fool, but my point still stands that there are a great many things that aught to have been proved/explained by science by now, but have not! But please dont let my attitudes towards science lead you to belive that i think it is all tosh, infact quite the opposite, i just get rather upset when people assume that if it has been theroeticaly proven by a scientist then it must be true...

however as much as i am thouraughly(damn that word for spelling!) enjoying this discussion, i am here to follow, for fortean.. unexplainable happenings.
JohnSix
Zeppelin Admiral

Doctor of Magic

Johnsix
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2009, 10:04:14 pm »

the bubmblee bee thing is a mth.. damn i feel a fool, but my point still stands that there are a great many things that aught to have been proved/explained by science by now, but have not!
Things such as? And why ought they have been proven/explained by now?

But please dont let my attitudes towards science lead you to belive that i think it is all tosh, infact quite the opposite, i just get rather upset when people assume that if it has been theroeticaly proven by a scientist then it must be true...
That's a bit of an oxymoron something can't be "theoretically proven". And science doesn't prove anything in the strict sense. Absolute proof only exists in pure logic and math.

Noone who really understands science would believe something is true purely because a scientist says so.

Everything in science is subject to change and revision.
However some theories have so much supporting evidence and the theory is so sound that they are effectively proven.

however as much as i am thouraughly(damn that word for spelling!) enjoying this discussion, i am here to follow, for fortean.. unexplainable happenings.
Remember: unexplained doesn't mean unexplainable.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 10:09:27 pm by JohnSix » Logged
Herr Döktor
Governor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2009, 10:14:19 pm »

I like that, I may have to steal it...

Wink
JohnSix
Zeppelin Admiral

Doctor of Magic

Johnsix
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2009, 10:16:48 pm »

I like that, I may have to steal it...

Wink
Don't worry that's what I did.
Probably from Sagan
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 10:18:55 pm by JohnSix » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: