The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
July 23, 2017, 02:10:40 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: terminology for futuristic steampunk weapons  (Read 3854 times)
dark_angeluk1
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: August 01, 2009, 08:02:07 pm »

hello all, i'm new to this site and steampunk really, i was directed here by a friend who said you might be able to help.
i am going to start making a small series of short web based films/series, in it one of the charactors is from a alternate universe which is steampunk based, but their time line is running a little faster than ours and they are about 200 years in our future, what i want to know is, what would be the victorian/steampunk name for sheilds as in for spacecraft/aircraft to stop attacks, also what would they call heavy weapons like tanks, plasma guns etc, (note i was going to call it a forced plasma gun) also things like laptops/viewscreens/compact discs/jet engines/rocket engines (though i feel rocket and jet might be the same names there as here) repulsor lifting forces etc etc, if you can help out i'd be ever so greatful and i will put credits into the titles etc of the film.
many regards
sean

Captaen Victor Greywind
Deck Hand

Captaen of the Hollow Wind

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 03:10:15 am »

I'm proud of my ability to name things, hence why I became an author.

Shields: Anti-Particulate (par-tick-yoo-lit, not late) Displacer Field
Tanks: Ambulatory Armored Howizter
Plasma Gun: Charged Particle Projector
Compact Discs: There really shouldnt be CDs in a steampunk world, or at least not like ours... Try something more like "wax cylindars" or such, like the ones they used to use with phonographs. Or, you could use something a little nature-futurist, like crystals or such.
Viewscreens: Crystaline Display Screen

Everett R.I. Krowley, III
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Federal Bountyhunter and Investigations Agent

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 04:34:02 am »

Captaen Greywind.

On the existance of CDs in steampunk if one wanted to say they belonged to a now-lost advanced civilization you could indeed go with Crystals.  I had a thread about growing and shaping crystals one's self to make those.  I called them Crystalline Daguerreotypes, or Cyrstalline Disks

as for computers... Telecommunicational Difference Engine comes to mind

screen might be a ... Audio-Occular Displaying Mirror

Mouse could be TDE Interfacing Module

perhaps a BIT too wordy but these were all pulled from my rear, save the CDs, I took time on that one.

Ah!! My apologies!  I got busy thinking I forgot this was for weapons!

in that case.  how about Fragmentary Luminal Missiles for well... frag flashbangs?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 04:37:16 am by Everett R.I. Krowley, III » Logged
H. MacHinery
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 04:48:12 am »

I'd suggest reading "The DIfference Engine" for some ideas .

Most obvious things would have an obvious name - shields, for instance are pretty much shields, engines are engines.  The beam weapons might be Aetheric beams, for example.
Darkhound
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 06:15:22 am »

The original English name for what we now call a tank was "landship". "Tank" was originally a cover name to disguise their purpose. "Land Monitor" would be even more descriptive, particularly with modern full traverse turrets. Or you could have litteral "Battllewagons"!

Is there any reason you couldn't call plasma cannon just that? Both words were available in the late nineteenth century and the combination is natural. In general, simple and direct names will usually work better than trying to force "steamyness".

(It was only a cover story in 1916, but I do think all-terrain self-propelled water tanks for desert campaigning is an idea worth a serious look at least.)

"Stupidity is a curse with which even the Gods struggle in vain. Ignorance we can fix."
dark_angeluk1
Deck Hand

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 01:44:54 pm »

hi all, man these are great idea's, also bare in mind i did say that their universe while being steampunk in nature, is at least 200 years in front of ours (time differential/physics being slightly different there) keep the idea's coming for maybe other weapons, that could be used, i was thinking that since they had electricity in the victorian period they would also come up with ideas to use it in a variaty of ways or am i wrong, i once read somewhere that war speeds up the progress of everything or was i wrong? i'm also researching when various forms of radiation types were discovered, since these could probably be also used in weapons.
as promised all the people who've give me idea's will be given a credit in the film/series, it'll be cheaply made so dont expect hollywood lol, but i will do my best, while most of it will be set in our universe there will be various flash backs/scenes etc also taking place in their universe, i am doing my best to keep it original, but well idea's will leak in from other programms i watch, lol i wont say which, but i will let everyone on here know when the first episode is ready to see.
once again thanks everyone and keep them coming, i need all the idea's i can find.
regards
sean
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 03:04:26 pm »

Shield: Electro-Magnetic Repulsion Coil
Tank: Mechanical Artilery alternative: Armored Locomobile
Plasma Gun:Plogiston Cannon (but if the concept of plasma really existed in the 19th century, well just call it a Plasma Gun)
Laptop: Wireless Teletyping\Computing Engine
Viewscreens: Electroluminescent Display Televisor
Compact Disc: Vinyl Audio-Visual Micro-Disc
Jet and Rocket Engines: Jet Engines have been invented in the 1900's decade and Rocket are around since medieval China, so yay your suposition are true.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 03:36:12 pm by chicar » Logged

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
dark_angeluk1
Deck Hand

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 12:27:47 am »

hi again
all these names are cool, and i'd have a hard time choosing, lol so they may all get used in one form or another.
if at all possible keep them coming. theres a lot of good suggestions here. not just for weapons but for things like cd's and computers.
regards
sean
Dr. makebot
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 09:46:54 pm »

computers: Babbage patented numerical calculators (or Babbage calculators for short)
laptops: portable numerical analysers
view screens: lumear image engines
CDs: use wax cylinders for lots of data (hard drive) and punch cards as actual CDs
tanks: war engines
space ships: aether craft
rocket/jet engines: chemical thrust producers
repulser engines: electromagnetic gravetic nullification modules
plasma weapons: high energy particle displacers
Shields: projectile and threat withholding engines

yes I am a mad scientist, now live with it.

dark_angeluk1
Deck Hand

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 07:36:11 pm »

hi again guys,
once again thanks for all the help just a couple of quickies, i've started making my props for my mini film,
1) do you think a futuristic victorian society would have bio-organic weapons? (i ask this because the victorians did toy with the brain in quite a few different ways, so i'm extending this to them discovering how to build/make bio-organic things)
2)do you think 'Photon Bow', would be a good name for a victorian assult rifle?

i look forward to reading your replies.
many regards all
sean
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: