The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 21, 2017, 12:17:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Lair Workshop  (Read 6419 times)
Vincent M. Dantes Esq.
Officer

Draftsman of the Imagination

« on: May 22, 2007, 08:26:49 am »

A Draftsman of the Imagination in his natural habitat: a tool shed.

Here are some photographs of me roosting in my workshop/smoking room/den of vice. The Lair is the second story of the shed in my backyard while the ground floor provides storage and houses my larger power tools.

Sincerely,
Vincent M. Dantes, Esquire

Gentleman of Fortune by trade, Sky Pirate by nature. Habitual liberateur of all things valuable.
Maverick inventor and Captain of the H.M.S. Amaranth.
Smaggers
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

You cannot mesmerize me...I'm British!

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 09:10:37 am »

What an inspiring den!  and the third from last photo would make a cracking painting.

"I should probably finish one project before taking on another, but the badger won't fit in the freezer." -Steamblast Mary

http://smaggers.deviantart.com/
http://www.bongofish.co.uk
NazT
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 12:02:11 pm »

Excellent!  NICE den...  Cool

Oh and nice photo's!  I'm not sure if its my rubbish work screens or the filtering on the photo's but they look as tho they could be realistic computer rendered scenes (altho the level of detail would be VERY impressive if they were)...  Grin
sidecar_jon
Snr. Officer

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 12:27:53 pm »

tell me about the LAMP!

Col. Adrianna Hazard
Officer
Canada Canada

A Most Improper Victorian Lady

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 02:03:37 pm »

How delightful! Now I really want my own den/workshop/awesome room.

When do we get to see those goggles you are working on in the photos?
Duke Aynsworth III
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 05:56:19 pm »

How very fortunate of you to have such a sbiffing retreat. I must say, you’ve turned one green eyed with envy. If it were possible to fit your “Lair” in to ones pocket, you would have to combat one heck of an attempt at a swipe. All in good fun mind you. What a cracking name “The Lair”. Jolly good show my lad, jolly good show.
Dr. Tobias Archer
Officer
United States United States

Ship's Surgeon

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 08:27:04 pm »

Inspiring!  My own humble work space can hardly be called such in comparison to this Tinkerer's Temple that you so quaintly call a "Lair".

The Voyage of the Gangrel Sole

The forceps of our minds are clumsy forceps, and crush the truth a little in taking hold of it.
Marcus Bell Of Ulm
Officer

Technikaiser/Skilled Scrounger

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 05:17:22 am »

A brilliant suggestion Drewid! I shall paint this last picture, as school is drawing to a close and I should like something with which to occupy myself (My, how I need a ladyfriend). A most excellent lair by the way sir. I especially enjoy the chain and oil lantern combo. Most pleasing!

Nothing is foolproof to the sufficiently talented fool.
heavyporker
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 06:43:00 am »

Mr. Dantes. You have engendered a most dangerous jealousy within me.

I hope you all enjoyed Air Kraken Day
Daemon
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2007, 06:48:14 am »

An astonishing workshop indeed! My question is. What is the contents of the bottle with the silver foil/cap who's label is ever so elusive in your renderings?
Jake of All Trades
Zeppelin Admiral

Brass addict, inventor, and scoundrel with a heart

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2007, 07:38:43 am »

Incredible!  If I may ask, how are you liking that Dremel Stylus? 

"...it's a form of fiction, and as such, while there may be times when it's considered a worthy vehicle for pointing out some of society and individual flaws - I still want a side that will let there be lighthearted adventures in the clouds, on mars, or under the sea."
--Tinkergirl
Vincent M. Dantes Esq.
Officer

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2007, 10:16:58 am »

Thank you all for the wonderful compliments! I am humbled by your responses. I'd invite you all over for a glass of wine and a hookah puff or three if you lived close enough. My Lair is your Lair in spirit, so there's no need to be envious. You're all welcome here should the opportunity to visit arise!

tell me about the LAMP!

*chuckles* There's not much to say about it, actually. I believe I bought it at Target a few years ago. ^_^

How delightful! Now I really want my own den/workshop/awesome room.

When do we get to see those goggles you are working on in the photos?

As soon as I finish with them, my dear! Which should be soon. I hope. My good friend, Promethium, helped me a great deal with them. And by helped me, I mean did most of the work so far. I lack the equipment and training to machine brass, but he is showing me the ropes.

A brilliant suggestion Drewid! I shall paint this last picture, as school is drawing to a close and I should like something with which to occupy myself (My, how I need a ladyfriend). A most excellent lair by the way sir. I especially enjoy the chain and oil lantern combo. Most pleasing!

I am deeply moved by the gesture! I... I don't know what to say.

An astonishing workshop indeed! My question is. What is the contents of the bottle with the silver foil/cap who's label is ever so elusive in your renderings?

Hahah, it is a bottle of 2004 Red Diamond Cabernet Sauvignon. It wasn't bad for $9, but I preferred the bottle next to it, which is a 2004 Avalon Cabernet Sauvignon.

Incredible!  If I may ask, how are you liking that Dremel Stylus? 

I am liking it a great deal! Trying to engrave with my old 400 Series XPR was a nerve wracking ordeal as well as a monumental pain.

Smaggers
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2007, 01:55:02 pm »

I was thinking of the one two up from last, but either would work nicely. You could change the background a bit, pull in that row of bottles with the horns in the middle, and the workbench stuff with the tools hung on the netting.
rogue_designer
Zeppelin Admiral

clockwork gypsy

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2007, 02:19:58 pm »

Thank you all for the wonderful compliments! I am humbled by your responses. I'd invite you all over for a glass of wine and a hookah puff or three if you lived close enough. My Lair is your Lair in spirit, so there's no need to be envious. You're all welcome here should the opportunity to visit arise!

Hmm... I may take you up on that at some point. My girlfriend's family is in Decatur, so we are down your way on a reasonably regular basis.

Very nice space. I am still trying to get the condo association to let me build a workshop and observatory on the roof. They remain skeptical. Bastards. Wink

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
(Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes. But deserve a nice glass of absinthe. I have some Montemarte in the cabinet, if you wish.)
modelmanjohn
Snr. Officer

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2007, 05:39:03 pm »

An enviable lair, sir, with one exception: the plastic chairs. If you have few visitors, I would say Begone! to those.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
Doctor Trakov
Officer

Admiral of the 14th Belogravian Airship Navy

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2007, 07:39:35 pm »

My lair is a unpleasantly modern-looking PC (Not mac, god no), a old Kitchen chair, a battered stool from Ikea, and a tatty desk covered in my parents papers. No brass in sight, apart from a valve from a tap i stuck on my computer case.
Smaggers
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2007, 09:41:32 pm »

ah.  But what about the lair in your head?
Vincent M. Dantes Esq.
Officer

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2007, 06:05:58 am »

An enviable lair, sir, with one exception: the plastic chairs. If you have few visitors, I would say Begone! to those.

Ah, but then my visitors would have no place to sit, and I'd rather offer them an ugly chair than a spot on the floor, as it is covered with ash, sawdust, metal filings and shrapnel. I sweep and sweep, but it is almost as if the floorboards generate debris.

I hate those chairs as well, but there's nothing I can do about them at the moment. They were free, and worth every penny. I just have not found any suitable replacements on my dumpster diving expeditions. Yet.
heavyporker
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2007, 07:17:19 am »

About these chairs, why not just make a few plank chairs? That way, cheap and very easy to put out of the way if not in use, and much more rustic and era-appropriate.

If you're not familiar with the concept of a plank chair, it's basically two planks - one with a central slot cut along some of the width, and the other plank with one end shaped to fit into the slot. Shaped end goes down on floor. Once done, it looks rather like an large x if you look at it sideways. Quite comfortable for such simplicity. Lemme find the instructables link.

Here it is. http://www.instructables.com/id/ETKKGR8IDSEQHOAPHS/   

I heartily encourage you to attempt this.
Vincent M. Dantes Esq.
Officer

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2007, 11:22:07 am »

About these chairs, why not just make a few plank chairs? That way, cheap and very easy to put out of the way if not in use, and much more rustic and era-appropriate.

If you're not familiar with the concept of a plank chair, it's basically two planks - one with a central slot cut along some of the width, and the other plank with one end shaped to fit into the slot. Shaped end goes down on floor. Once done, it looks rather like an large x if you look at it sideways. Quite comfortable for such simplicity. Lemme find the instructables link.

Here it is. http://www.instructables.com/id/ETKKGR8IDSEQHOAPHS/   

I heartily encourage you to attempt this.

That is quite cool! I've seen chairs similar to this, but not this particular configuration. However, I'm afraid they simply wouldn't fit up here. There is not much room from the table edge to the wall.

But thank you for the pointer! ^_Q
Dr von Zarkov
Zeppelin Captain

<Maddest Scientist>

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2007, 12:18:45 pm »

If the resin chairs are unsightly and offensive, disguise them with fabric throws and pillows.

"Use it up, wear it out; make it do, do without."

"The fact that I wear the protective coloration of sedate citizenship is a ruse of the fox — I learned it long ago."
– Loren Eiseley
Radio Saturday
Officer

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2007, 02:39:46 pm »

All this talk about the chairs, and here I had to go back to the photos and look for them. I guess I'm just not very observant.  Grin

Is there any significance to the Albanian flag on one wall, or is it just for looks?

OBSCURE
<a href="http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2190763/1/">Anapura</a>
<a href="http://www.radiosaturday.com">Radio Saturday Press</a>
Duke Aynsworth III
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2007, 05:19:42 pm »

If the resin chairs are unsightly and offensive, disguise them with fabric throws and pillows.

"Use it up, wear it out; make it do, do without."

Joy good idea about the throws and pillows. One wouldn’t want ones guests walking away from a very pleasant experience with sore derrières.
The Grand Duchess
Snr. Officer
Patior Sed Supervivo

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2007, 01:55:47 pm »

I'd suggest fabric throws also, if you wanted to make the chairs more attractive.  You could also built aq small bench, if you wished.  The cheapest way? Three milk crates, a board, and a fabric throw.  The third crate adds stability. And if you know anyone who knits or crochets, even better- because the fabric arts would be a perfect way of covering furniture.

Or- don't worry about them.  There are better things on which to spend money.

A true alternative subculture is one that not only questions the social status quo but poses viable solutions to some of the perceived underlying problems. Difference from the norm is not the same as superiority to the mainstream unless it can be  argued that the difference is positing a better way.
Proffessor Varne
Snr. Officer

ProF-Fess-or hence the extra F

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2007, 07:19:40 pm »

I am extremely jealous! I love the lanterns on the chains, the decor and the space, it looks very, very much like a lair any Steampunk Inventor would be proud to have. Where did you find the lanterns? Now I have to go add to my plans to clean out and decorate my own workshop/lair..........

As for chairs, what about some pipe from the local hardware store, bolted to the floor as a kind of solid stool, maybe a solid pipe with a chair like wooden seat, or even getting some pipe (pvc or metal depending on skill) and making a 3 or 4 legged "standard" chair with removable cushions (for those times that metal will be flying, they can be quickly moved out of shrapnel range as fabric will grip the metal shrapnel/scraps quite well, sadly). One could also cheat and get some cheap folding fabric and metal lawn chairs that they sell for camping/taking to outdoor events, throw a few fabric pieces over them to cover and paint the frames a nice brass/copper color.

I have a head simply brimming with seemingly useless information. Useless, until I find a post that I can relate it too that is...........

"Is it hot in here?"

"No, just Steamy"
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: