The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
June 20, 2019, 10:03:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: South Africans? Steampunks? Never the twain meet?  (Read 6626 times)
Colonial Steele
« on: July 17, 2009, 02:36:50 pm »

This is a long shot.
Does anyone know if there is a steampunk scene at all in South Africa?  Preferably Cape Town.
I know there is SCA. 

I maybe moving there.
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 02:45:53 pm »

This is a long shot.
Does anyone know if there is a steampunk scene at all in South Africa?  Preferably Cape Town.
I know there is SCA.  

I maybe moving there.

I don't think 'punk' has made it to Seth Ifrica yet...nevermind steampunk! Good luck with that, Colonial.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 05:00:07 pm by Capt. Dirigible » Logged

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
Colonial Steele
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 04:24:02 pm »

This is a long shot.
Does anyone know if there is a steampunk scene at all in South Africa?  Preferably Cape Town.
I know there is SCA. 

I maybe moving there.

I don't think 'punk' has made it to Seth Ifrica yet...nevermind steampunk! Good luck with that, Colonel.

Well goth is there, so I though there maybe some steampunks.
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 04:29:08 pm »

This is a long shot.
I know there is SCA. 

I maybe moving there.

I don't think 'punk' has made it to Seth Ifrica yet...nevermind steampunk! Good luck with that, Colonel.

Well goth is there, so I though there maybe some steampunks.

Seth Ifrican goths!?? Well then there is hope! For where there are goths there will be steamgoths...
wildilocks
Gunner
Australia Australia

Mme Ermyntrude Millais

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 04:45:44 pm »

They have Burners too - one of the biggest Regional Burns outside the US is AfrikaBurn... and where Burners are, there are probably Steampunks!

Follow the Antipodean League of Temporal Voyagers on Twitter!
Colonial Steele
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 11:53:24 pm »

Seth Ifrican goths!?? Well then there is hope! For where there are goths there will be steamgoths...

Well, otherwise they have all left for London.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 03:30:58 pm by Colonial Steele » Logged
Colonial Steele
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 03:31:42 pm »

They have Burners too - one of the biggest Regional Burns outside the US is AfrikaBurn... and where Burners are, there are probably Steampunks!

What on earth are burners fellow Australian, please enlighten me.
wildilocks
Gunner
Australia Australia

Mme Ermyntrude Millais

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 04:58:22 pm »

The Burning Man thread above should give you some idea (and explain why there are Steampunk Burners), but for a more general run down, check the Wikipedia page. Smiley
Colonial Steele
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009, 06:03:14 pm »

The Burning Man thread above should give you some idea (and explain why there are Steampunk Burners), but for a more general run down, check the Wikipedia page. Smiley

Ahhh, okay, that explains a lot (I know burning man but had not heard the burners term).  Considering the trance scene and outdoor party scene in South Africa, it makes sense.  Possibly no the same sense of steampunk and burning man but any way.
I expect what ever steampuks there are it will be small.
Zwack
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

And introducing the wonderful Irish (Mrs Z).

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 03:22:19 pm »

steampuks

I believe you are missing a letter.... Steampukes.  Presumably a steampuke is a baby steampunk.  One that hasn't got past the random regurgitation of meals stage.  Cheesy

"At least those oddballs are interesting" - My Wife.
I'm British but living in America.  This might explain my spelling.
Colonial Steele
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 05:13:44 pm »

steampuks

I believe you are missing a letter.... Steampukes.  Presumably a steampuke is a baby steampunk.  One that hasn't got past the random regurgitation of meals stage.  Cheesy

Ahhh, yes, my poor grasp on my mother tongues haunts me in an amusing moment.  that is quite good!
Sitizen Cane
Snr. Officer
South Africa South Africa

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 03:29:49 pm »

Being "born and bred" in South Africa, specifically Cape Town, for the last 37 years, it amazes me how little people know about it.  

So, straight from the "horse's mouth", so to speak, as far as I know, there is no "official" steampunk movement or organisation in South Africa, and trust me,....i have searched.  However, there are thousands of goths, goth clubs, and alternative movement fans.  
Also, most of the Fantasy/Sci-Fi fans in South Africa, know what Steampunk is, due to RPG Games etc, so there is awareness.

I am actually looking at starting a small group of tinkers and all things steampunk, in Cape Town, but have no idea of how to "find" South African "steampunkers".

When it comes to tinkering, South Africa has HORDES of antiques, left overs from the British Colonial times, and Boer Wars, and you can pick up just about anything in terms of "steampunk-able" items.  As an example, today I saw an item on gumtree.co.za, http://capetown.gumtree.co.za/c-Stuff-for-Sale-antiques-jewellery-collectibles-Medical-surgical-collectables-W0QQAdIdZ162112293, which would pretty much fit the bill for steampunk AS IS....

Anyways, I digress...  Just wanted to let everyone know....staying in context with the thread...the "twain doth meet".

Colonial Steele, drop me a line, and we can organise a Steampunk meet.  It would be quite cool to meet others.
Sitizen Cane
Snr. Officer

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009, 04:14:20 pm »

On that note, it would also be great if I could find a point of contact in the UK and US, perhaps, for trading and shipping, as we have items which seem to be pretty rare in the UK and US, and vice-versa.  (THere are a number of things which we simply cannot get this side, as the demand is not big enough.)

I also made contact with someone who has a brass binocular collection (approx 300 pieces)..(which I will try to locate the photo for and post later) which he has been collecting since 1960 or so, which he is selling for R 12 000.  (Thats about 1 200 euros and about $ 1 600). 

He told me a story about how he acquired one particular item, which he obtained from one of the farm labourers, who was given the binoculars by his grandfather, who..it turns out was part of an african tribe which attacked and killed a group of boer settlers in the late 1800s in Mozambique and looted the caravan. (The late 1800s and early 1900s in South Africa, was filled with 3 warring groups, i.e. the British Army, the Boers (nee Dutch settlers) and the native african tribes.  There was a lot of bloodshed at the time, hence the Anglo-Boer wars.)

He actually managed to trade this fellow, the binoculars, along with a whole lot of items, from farming implements, family bibles, and even journals of the settlers. 
Very rich history for African "Victorian" and some good "steampunk" material and items to be had out this side of the globe.
So if anyone is keen,...let me know...
Edge
Deck Hand

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2010, 03:50:23 am »

And on that note everybody seems to have lost interest in the thread. FWIW just popped in to fill ( Huh ) the South African ranks. I'm 1800km away from Cape town in a small little dunghole by the name of Lydenburg. Pleased to meet ya'll.
Sitizen Cane
Snr. Officer

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2010, 08:07:39 pm »

Hey Edge
You make knives and the likes i see...  Nice work.
When you coming to Cape Town again?  Would love to have a chat with a local 'punker...
Lemme know
Edge
Deck Hand

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2010, 08:41:50 pm »

Thank you, Sir. I would move to CT without further avail if I could have it my way, but life is never fair. I'll be sure to give you a shout when I journey down South.
Peregrine
Gunner

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2010, 09:17:12 am »

Lydenburg.

I'm so terribly sorry.
As far as I can tell I am steampunk in Durban (and I'm very, very new).
If there's anywhere in the world you can comfortably sit on the verandah, pith helmet by one's side whiile the drinks-wallah brings endless G&Ts, Durban is it.
Duane
Deck Hand

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2012, 07:18:31 am »

THREAD NECROMANCY MUHAHAHAHA.

erm...on topic again. There are actually a decent amount of Steampunks in the Johannesburg Pretoria region (ok maybe a dozen or so but that is decent for RSA). Last year's ICon was actually even Steam Punk themed. I am pretoria based myself.
Mechanical_Zombie
Deck Hand
United States United States

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2012, 07:27:32 am »

It's hard to say. On one hand, their view of the Victorian era was likely shaped by them being conquered by other world powers. On the other hand, that's not all there is to it, so who really knows?

Until I hear the opinion of a South African, I can't say.
andrew craven
Snr. Officer

Clanker Zep Kapitan...From Prussia with Love

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2012, 12:02:23 pm »

I know for certain that punk/goth is deffinately down in South Africa as I have a couple of facebook acquaintences on my friend list there who are from that ilk. When I developed into steampunk in Manchester England I could not find any steampunks local at the time and the Goth/rock/cyber community were very welcoming with me. From my own experience you are better off in being yourself (steampunk) at Goth venues and the such. At the end of the day you dont really have to an absolute steampunk scene to get down with it! Take up this path and who knows you may come across someone who has steampunk interests....it may grow to a gang/community of steampunk friends and so on! Smiley
BB BlackDog
Officer

aka lieutenant Jager Schnitzel

bbblackdog
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2012, 04:15:24 pm »

We've been getting Airplay in S.A. for a while, as a steampunk band, especially around Jo Burg, so must be some Awareness.

Links to my Band "BB BlackDog"'s website's WWW.steampunkrecords.COM/BBBLACKDOGUK
WWW.YOUTUBE.COM/BBBLACKDOG            
WWW.BBBLACKDOG.EU
PM
Deck Hand

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2012, 11:40:59 pm »

Something Wicked magazine in Cape Town published a couple of my steampunk stories. They produced a great radio play adaptation of my Victorian ghost story "The Resident Member", which you can listen to on their website:
http://www.somethingwicked.co.za/2009/11/episode-5-the-resident-member-by-paul-marlowe/

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤
Paul Marlowe, FEEC
http://www.PaulMarlowe.com
Archivist of The Etheric Explorers Club
Auguste van Ardenhat
Deck Hand

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2012, 11:39:29 am »

There definitely is awareness here, just on a lower scale. Many people seem to like the idea of Steampunk and the few vendors at cons seem to sell goggles and the like quite well but that seems to be where the majority of interest ends.

Those few other South Africans on the boards are welcome to PM me. I would be more than happy to get to know some more Steampunks in this country as I do travel from time to time so meeting up is not entirely impossible.

Auguste van Ardenhat; Artist, Gentleman and Scholar.
Jimmeh
Gunner

function is more important than aestetics

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2012, 08:57:03 am »

dunno if this thread is still running but I'm from Port Elizabeth South Africa and i have to agree that the general population of South Africa is completely ignorant to the steam punk way of life, or any other alternative life style (note i say general population i.e. not every one but most)

"What good is a gun that doesn't shoot bullets?"
Mr Addams
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2012, 10:35:44 pm »

I recently found THIS ARTICLE online, about A Steampunk Coffee shop in Cape Town South Africa.
Possibly a good place to hold meetings?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: