The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 10, 2019, 07:21:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The VR guide to steampunk costumes on the cheap  (Read 8903 times)
Theodosia
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Creator of all manner of things!

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2009, 10:43:48 am »

feecycle.org is great! i know in US there may not be a local freecycle 'unit' but here in the UK our units aren't so separate... you can get anything and it's free. Smiley
i use it all the time... i recently stocked up my nursery and got a computer with a desk!

Everything happens for a reason. Nothing happens by chance or by means of good or bad luck. Illness, injury, love, lost moments or true greatness and sheer stupidity all occur to test the limits of the soul.
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2009, 10:46:46 am »

At first glance had you not said it was from a shoe I wouldn't have seen. That turned out quite well!
I still don't see the shoe.  Huh

It's like one of those 'Magic Eye' pictures..you have to look through the picture to see it. Wink

The bit that goes over his mouth and nose is the back/heel of a shoe he has split up the middle and removed the sole.. The two sides of the shoe go up his cheeks to the strap. See it now?

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
lilithbunny
Gunner
United States United States

...suffers from visions of dandyism.

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2009, 12:16:33 pm »

I say don't be afraid to step out of the period box. Distinctly Victorian pieces pair well with "timeless" neutral pieces (and trendy modern versions of classics) to give an overall "modernly Victorian" look with very little cash required.

Example:

Straight Leg Striped Pants: JC Penney (got them forever ago, I'm sure they were less than $30)
Gray Puff Sleeve Shirt: Express $25
Burgundy Lace Corset: Hot Topic (on clearance)
Black Portrait Collar Jacket: Ducky's New York (an overstock store) $14
Red and Pink Cameo Pin: JC Penney $8 (on sale)
Gray Multi-Chain Pearl Necklace: Forever 21 $10
Black Lace Choker: homemade with a pair of gray pearl snaps, cost to make <$5

The only things I paid more than $30 dollars for are the hat (real wool) and the boots (real leather... but still on sale) and everything in this picture was bought new and fits great.

For ladies, I highly recommend checking out Forever 21, Express and H&M for great shirts with wonderful little Victorian details like puff sleeves and ruffled collars and vests in neutral colors -which are easily jazzed up with new buttons- (generally $10 to $25).

Pair existing classics (which are bereft of period reference to the modern eye) in your closet like dress pants, pleated skirts and dress shirts with a few trendy (but cheap) modern but Victorian-detailed pieces, one or two "authentic" Victorian style pieces that can be worn with many outfits (like a great top hat or a proper morning coat) and period-evocative accessories like lace gloves or a pocket watch; you will quickly find that you have acquired a great number of versatile Steampunk outfits with very little investiture. Separates and layering are two great modern fashion inventions that lend themselves well to steampunk, don't be afraid to use them.

Violet Rose
Snr. Officer

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2009, 04:22:11 pm »

What a spiffy outfit!
Yes, if you invest in one good piece that is difficult to fake like the topper, it will give any outfit a Victorian aura as long as you are teaming it with classic pieces as shown here

I'm in Darkshines sewing swap!

Declaring war on mediocrity and a pox on the foot soldiers of stupidity
Llrael
Snr. Officer

In it for the lulz.

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2009, 10:34:46 pm »

One tip I've discovered when perusing charity shops: if you find a clock or watch with a tag saying "Needs new battery", for gods' sakes try winding it up! XD I was so ready to whip the back off a tiny little watch I found and give it a new battery when I discovered that it was mechanical. Cheesy

Just because something is one colour doesn't mean it needs to stay that colour! I found a lurvely denimy skirt with pretty patterns on it which I am going to dye brown. This may or may not work, but I'll be damned if I'm not going to try!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 10:36:57 pm by Llrael » Logged

"I asked Mr Lacey if he'd let me work his lovely machine. He hit me with a spanner."
Mrs Van Horne
Officer

Lady Rat Fancier

« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2010, 11:09:18 am »

love this topic! I was viewing some older topics and thought I'd revive this one.

I think most of my clothing has come from charity shops (I work in one which helps!), I'm in the charity shops at least every other day, which I think is essential if you really want to spot the suitable stuff.

Also - keep an eye open for local amateur dramatic societies (also sometimes larger theatres too) - sometimes they do sell off old costumes - I one had an old whale bone corset, a very 'adam and the ants' military style black jacket and a long black wool hooded cloak from one sale many years ago.

We have a lovely large flea market here intermittently which is wonderful to browse around, though tiring on the bank holiday weekend as the market then is huge!

20th & 21st October 2012
Steampunk Weekend at the Commandery (Worcester, UK)
on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/388026347890155/
web: http://steampunkcommandery.moonfruit.com/

Steampunk and Retro Jewellery & Accessories
~ http://ixykix.etsy.com/ ~
Member of Etsy Steam Team - Search for steamteam on etsy!
~ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ~
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: