The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 15, 2019, 07:16:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Corsets for males  (Read 3948 times)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2016, 08:35:58 pm »

Most people think of gender as a binary concept and that includes many clothing types. Those with more radical opinion like you may consider people following such rules not true steampunk, but everybody is entitled to their opinion.

What is "true Steampunk"?  Huh  I don't remember making such a remark

If I tell a 20 year old "you may not wear a corset," it's the same as if I told you that to be a "true Steampunk" you have to abstain from using Philips screws, everything you wear must be brown, or goggles were canon, but as of September they're no longer "in." Yes?  Just an observation differentiating history from the modern movement.

Keith_Beef
Snr. Officer
France France

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2016, 09:02:43 pm »

Their use was supposedly quite widespread during the eighteenth century, and George Washington is reputed to have worn one.

But the things were put on very young boys and deformed their skeletons even more than the wearing of corsets did among adult women of the Victorian period.

--
Keith
ChiefStoker
Deck Hand

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2016, 09:19:04 pm »

If I tell a 20 year old "you may not wear a corset," it's the same as if I told you that to be a "true Steampunk" you have to abstain from using Philips screws, everything you wear must be brown, or goggles were canon, but as of September they're no longer "in." Yes?  Just an observation differentiating history from the modern movement.

As a reminder the first post started with
What's your opinion on this?
. Again whats wrong with saying I do not think corsets are for those 20 years old or for those with too much weight? Isn't that answering the original question? I don't like the wording may not as it connotates lack of permission. My wording is merely suggestive.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 10:01:18 pm by ChiefStoker » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2016, 01:47:08 am »

I think men can wear wast shaping garments to matter their age.  The thing to remember is the shape of a corset isn't necessary female curves and a slim waist.  A lot of the ones I have seen would be considered more like back braces today to give you straight posture and hold you in to s certain shape. Look at this not very feminine but very much a corset like garment.

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2016, 09:55:06 am »

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.
Apology accepted, Admiral.

I'm new to all this, (obviously!) and have yet to accustom myself to using Japanese manga and anime as aesthetic resources. I spend my 'free' hours reading articles from the 19th century, looking at 19th century art and photos and imaging how these people would fit into an alternative, steampunk world. I find the visionary artists of the time such as, Jean-Marc Côté, Aubrey Beardsley, even Edward Gorey at a pinch to be reference points for me.

For example, this fantastic article has inspired me more than any anime that I've encountered.
http://jv.gilead.org.il/evans/illustr/

But this may change as time goes on- who can say?

In any case, corset or not to corset.
First of all, consult your kidneys. People with bad kidneys should avoid tight-lacing, whether they be male or female.
The rest is aesthetic taste, nothing more.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2016, 07:43:19 pm »

Hmm... what about combining the corset idea with armour? A friend of mine once planned to make a (female) corset from shaped steel plates for the 'panels' of the corset joined by thin strips of leather. Depending on what you did with the design, you could certainly make it a very masculine garment.

Yours,
Miranda.
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2016, 09:05:37 pm »

Hmm... what about combining the corset idea with armour? A friend of mine once planned to make a (female) corset from shaped steel plates for the 'panels' of the corset joined by thin strips of leather. Depending on what you did with the design, you could certainly make it a very masculine garment.

Yours,
Miranda.

If the quality of the design, it would probably be nice and cool.

But if as a reality. The corset should fit snugly to the body that would to support it. And the armor should defend away from the body to soften the blows.

Sorry for the tediousness.

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2016, 10:13:55 am »

Never tedious, morozow- I find your posts to be informative and inspiring.
That's an interesting point about the difference between a corset and armour.
And we go back to aesthetics- if it's gorgeous, is it valid?

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
morozow
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2016, 11:24:35 am »

Never tedious, morozow- I find your posts to be informative and inspiring.
That's an interesting point about the difference between a corset and armour.
And we go back to aesthetics- if it's gorgeous, is it valid?

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

As part of the entourage? As part of the image and costume? Yes. It will be a beautiful, stylish and manly.

As a real protection of the carcass? If it was actually. Smiley It's not a good idea.
I.e. it will provide some protection, for example from a knife or a small pistol. If the kick will be stronger, the armor-corset can and will survive, but part of the force of impact will have on her body.

Something like that.

P.S. I remembered the custom. Wrap around waist sash, wide band in many many layers. It's like a corset. And many, many layers of tissue protect the stomach.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 11:35:08 am by morozow » Logged
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2016, 07:34:27 pm »

(snip)

As part of the entourage? As part of the image and costume? Yes. It will be a beautiful, stylish and manly.

As a real protection of the carcass? If it was actually. Smiley It's not a good idea.
I.e. it will provide some protection, for example from a knife or a small pistol. If the kick will be stronger, the armor-corset can and will survive, but part of the force of impact will have on her body.

Something like that.

(snip)

If the armour's panel remained rigid, it would at least spread the force over a larger area thus reducing the pressure and potential injury - a bit like the way a bullet-proof vest works, which is of course also a close-fitting garment. And if you really wanted to think of how you could make such a thing actually work, it would need to have layers to dissipate the force and prevent penetration through the material; I'm thinking here of the design of the shielding of spacecraft designed to pass through the tails of comets (e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giotto_(spacecraft)). The inner layer could still have a thin layer of cushioning.

Yours,
Miranda.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2016, 08:57:03 pm »

Some time ago when I was in engineering school,  I toyed around with the idea of making a flexible armoured cover for automobiles. The issue was the  very large hail and rain during the  colder months in Fall and Spring.  Then we also get tremendous solar irradiation in Summer.

So I thought of a car cover comprised of large dragon-like scales. Each scale was hexagonal, and had an outer rigid layer made from fiberglass and the lower layer underneath was made from Styrofoam.  I used analytical materials science and compared to finite elements numerical (computer) simulations to try to predict the impact and maximum deflection of the plate upon impact from a large hail stone (sometimes between a 50 pence or quarter count to the size of a golf ball,  and occasionally as large as a hand ball -  if you're unlucky,  as large as a baseball)

The outer layer spreads the impact over a larger area.  The energy is then absorbed by the Styrofoam.

The outermost layer was made of reflective material to reduce radiative heat, and UV light, and the Styrofoam also serves as thermal insulation.

I called the cover the "Carmadillo"   Grin
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 09:53:22 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
morozow
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2016, 10:36:11 pm »

(snip)

Something like that.

(snip)

If the armour's panel remained rigid, it would at least spread the force over a larger area thus reducing the pressure and potential injury - a bit like the way a bullet-proof vest works, which is of course also a close-fitting garment. And if you really wanted to think of how you could make such a thing actually work, it would need to have layers to dissipate the force and prevent penetration through the material; I'm thinking here of the design of the shielding of spacecraft designed to pass through the tails of comets (e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giotto_(spacecraft)). The inner layer could still have a thin layer of cushioning.

Yours,
Miranda.

If I understand correctly. Sorry if I confuse something.

We're not talking about the image and about intended functionality.

If you have to wear a corset. Yes, you can strengthen it and protect yourself.

If You can't wear real armor, but can wear a corset. Yes, you can strengthen it and make light armor.

But if we go to war, it is better to choose a real armor.

At least, the corset, the same disadvantage as that of the armor-bra. Protects not the whole body.

As I understand it, You just offer those measures that make the garment - the corset, just in armor. To wear the armour and push the screen away from the body.
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2016, 07:45:04 am »

Morozow wrote:
I remembered the custom. Wrap around waist sash, wide band in many many layers. It's like a corset. And many, many layers of tissue protect the stomach.

Curiously, that is also used by by bullfighters and those who carry images in the processions of Holy Week here in Spain.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2016, 07:20:55 pm »

(snip)

If You can't wear real armor, but can wear a corset. Yes, you can strengthen it and make light armor.

At least, the corset, the same disadvantage as that of the armor-bra. Protects not the whole body.

As I understand it, You just offer those measures that make the garment - the corset, just in armor. To wear the armour and push the screen away from the body.

Just musing on how you might make the idea work if you really wanted to. Coming back to the application in a Steampunk outfit then it would be simply decorative; you might make its patterning as ornate as some of the medieval creations (e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parade_Armour_of_Henry_II_of_France).

Yours,
Miranda.

P.S. if I was to go into battle in a Steampunk manner, I would be 'wearing' a steam driven WWI tank. Kitted out with a Martian heat-ray. Slung beneath a massive airship...  Grin
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2016, 08:32:35 pm »

(snip)

Just musing on how you might make the idea work if you really wanted to. Coming back to the application in a Steampunk outfit then it would be simply decorative; you might make its patterning as ornate as some of the medieval creations (e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parade_Armour_of_Henry_II_of_France).

Yours,
Miranda.

P.S. if I was to go into battle in a Steampunk manner, I would be 'wearing' a steam driven WWI tank. Kitted out with a Martian heat-ray. Slung beneath a massive airship...  Grin

Wearing a WWI tank??   Might as well wear a destroyer...  Now you are firmly in Japanese Anime territory (Google Kantai Collection  / Kancolle).  Grin
morozow
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2016, 01:07:54 am »

If we look at plate armor, cuirass, they all more or less convex. It removes and softens the blow.

You want to be a General? To be a General cool Smiley
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: