The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 17, 2019, 04:11:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Corsets for males  (Read 3950 times)
Heliomance
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: July 11, 2009, 03:37:14 pm »

What's your opinion on this?
Theodosia
Officer

Creator of all manner of things!

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 03:47:15 pm »

Hello!

I think this thread may be helpful to you...
http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=687.msg8130#msg8130

I don't see anything wrong with male corsets... Smiley

Everything happens for a reason. Nothing happens by chance or by means of good or bad luck. Illness, injury, love, lost moments or true greatness and sheer stupidity all occur to test the limits of the soul.
diamantequeen
Officer

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 04:30:29 pm »

Go for it, more men should wear them  Wink If you're thinking of making one there is at least one easily available male corset pattern I can think of off the top of my head. Wish my hubby would let me make him one  Sad
Gaspard de Coligny
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 08:20:44 pm »

What's your opinion on this?

Awesum against beer belly...
PennyDreadful
Officer
United States United States

Studying the white savages of the plains.

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 04:15:54 pm »

Why not.
I am unsure exactly when they fell out of fashion.
Proper undergarments or even the understanding of their use has sadly fallen out of the common understanding of society.

When I taught costuming at a college I would have to go over this with most students. You can't wear a strapless gown without something underneath unless you have Playboy style implants etc. Or you can't wear tight bikini underwear under a lycra skirt.

I say go for it. :-)

Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
    Oscar Wilde
Nikola Tesla
Zeppelin Captain

Angel of Timefoolery

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 04:38:25 pm »

...Proper undergarments or even the understanding of their use has sadly fallen out of the common understanding of society....

...You can't wear a strapless gown without something underneath unless you have Playboy style implants etc....

I just had the disturbing thought that maybe that's why so many people are turning to drastic measures like surgery?

Sure there were health warnings about corsets (worn improperly or taken to extremes) and such, but general anesthesia is nothing to mess with...if you've gotta do one or the other...

"An announcement that a poetry-reading is about to take place will empty a room quicker than a water-cannon." - Daniel C. Stove, The Oracles and Their Cessation

Remember, if it's the Warden Regulant asking, you did NOT see this.
Vienna Fahrmann
Zeppelin Admiral
Austria Austria

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 05:28:28 pm »

Dear Heliomance,

I'd go for it if you want one.

Vienna

lilibat
Rogue Ætherlord

gamer geek goth girl

lilibat
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 12:34:50 am »

They are period and can seriously help wrangle a belly. If you can stand wearing one and want to, go for it.

Have you seen Topsy Turvy? There is a scene with a guy in a corset!

PennyDreadful
Officer

Studying the white savages of the plains.

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 01:22:28 pm »

...Proper undergarments or even the understanding of their use has sadly fallen out of the common understanding of society....

...You can't wear a strapless gown without something underneath unless you have Playboy style implants etc....

I just had the disturbing thought that maybe that's why so many people are turning to drastic measures like surgery?

Sure there were health warnings about corsets (worn improperly or taken to extremes) and such, but general anesthesia is nothing to mess with...if you've gotta do one or the other...

Ironically what is the first thing they do if you injure your back, put you in a back brace. One downside to wearing most corsets daily is it can weaken your back muscles due to too much support.
groomporter
Zeppelin Admiral

HMA Todd, Combined Highland Expeditionary Force

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 03:07:56 pm »

There was an episode of CSI where they found a American Civil War reenactor who was murdered and wore a corset.
http://www.csifiles.com/reviews/csi/way_to_go.shtml

If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.
-Spider Robinson
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 03:18:42 pm »

For males? Gentlemen, the fairer sex is designed to bear children, and the capacity for expansion is built in, with correspondingly arranged abdominal muscles. No such adaptation is required in the male, therefore I should say that the "male corset" is original equipment...abdominal muscles. Do sit-ups. Lose some weight if you have too much of a belly. A corset on a man is just an indication of extreme laziness and lack of will-power. Suck it in, Sir, and lay off the cheeseburgers and french fries! Cheesy

Thistlewaite

Yet well thy soul hath brooked the turning tide, with that innate, untaught philosophy,Which, be it wisdom, coldness, or deep pride, is gall and wormwood to an enemy.
groomporter
Zeppelin Admiral

HMA Todd, Combined Highland Expeditionary Force

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 04:32:42 pm »

One problem I could see is that it was an undergarment. If it is worn as an outer garment as has become common today for women, the "general pubic" might assume you are just cross-dressing.
Miles (a sailor)Martin
Zeppelin Admiral

Just a head full of random thoughts

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 06:13:39 pm »

or an old fat Harley Rider.  i have a eight inch wide belt that was sold as a kidney support belt for motor cycle  riders by J.C.Whitney some ten to fifteen years back . fits ok nice back support when i am working  in the yard,riding lawnmower/yard tractor.  at 51 years old ,6'2" tall and 208 lbs i can still wear my Navy dress blues i was issued at 26, so i do not need a corset to suck it in i would need it for the back support.                                             miles

Who you calling old, Sonny boy? Just because my birth certificate is on birch bark there isn't any reason to be calling names.
machinist for hire/ mechanic at large
Warning : minstrel with a five string banjo
SashaGears
Gunner

Black Market Treasure Hunter

hexinfiniti
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 08:37:42 pm »

I actually just bought a corset-styled waist-belt thing a few days ago...like, it doesn't go onto the chest but I wore it over one of my shirts and vests and got a lot of compliments on it.

Male corsets FTW

"We're incredibly misunderstood, and so they label us witches...we're locked away in Containment zones, by those who would condemn us."-Noah, Arc of Gelen
Kelley
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 07:05:53 am »

Corsets for men were used historically, early in the century and petered out by the end when the corset as a whole started to die out.

If you look at any early fashion plates (1820s-40s), the men were clearly wearing corsets and idealised at such. Men's clothing was more colourful as well, and both these things fell out of fashion due to the industrial revolution, really. Everything became as muted and black as the smog.

Most corsets "for men" I've seen in modern times are either just women's corsets, or just somewhat-modified women's corsets. I've seen some nice ones when this topic has come up before, and I'd say if anyone's looking to do this, take inspiration from Victorian back-braces, not any kind of women's corsets unless that's the look you want.
Prof. Alistair Crayborne
Gunner

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2011, 02:31:01 pm »

I can't picture what a corset would look like. Maybe you have a picture to share, Sasha?

Prof. Alistair Crayborne
Mr. Boltneck
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2011, 05:29:14 pm »

Here is a page for Fakir Musafar, the original "Modern Primitive": http://www.bodyplay.com/fakir/. This photo, taken in the 1960's, shows him in business clothes, wearing a tightlaced corset underneath. He did business as the Old Corsetier for some years, way back when. If you put his name into Google Images, you can find other pictures of him in corsets. Nice guy, too.
ChiefStoker
Deck Hand

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2016, 07:19:09 pm »

There seems to be quite a good selection of steampunk corsets for men nowadays. Just check out google, search for "steampunk male corset vest", "male corset' switch to images and ignore the occasional drag queens there  Smiley

It's usually a corset vest to give gentelman/artistocratic look. There are some underbust models too. The corset vest is a male specific design, the underbusts are basically adapted female corsets (less curve, straight top, men compatible colors). Wearing such corsets is not really about V shaping but unconventional look, differentiating from others, looking interesting yet still as a male.

Some examples you may want to see:

It's absolutely critical to have it look properly. From pictures you can see that the wearer is usually a gentelman in his 30s, slim figure. If you are in 20s or younger, it may look funny. If you are not slim then forget it as it may look hillarious. If you are in your 40-50s a corset vest can look good. Shirt color is usually the same color like corset or white.

Underbust is the easiest to fit properly since it's short. Corset vests are much more difficult to fit (in my opinion not worth buying remotely unless custom made). It's also possible to use a real corset (underbust or male overbust) underneath a vest for figure shaping (for slim figure without belly). The vest can have very light boning just to copy the shape of corset.

Due to high cost and being considered a female only garment you can be sure very few males will try it.
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2016, 11:44:06 pm »

Regency males wore corsets so that their over-garments did not wrinkle in use.  Even the military wore them to improve their bearing.  In use the male corset should not be seen, unless it is so designed - like eg one in leather with holes and studs.
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2016, 01:01:10 am »

Good evening, ladies and gentlemen.
I'm learning about fashion, both feminine and masculine for the years between 1820-1840 and found an interesting entry at Wiki on the subject o male corsets in the 1820s:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1820s_in_Western_fashion

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2016, 08:01:09 am »

But we are 21st C Steampunks, not Victorian Era re-enactors. I could give my opinion on how a corset should or should not look, but my opinion in the context of Steampunk may be considered more radical than what is expected as "normal" in the gender binary context. What if instead of rigidly defining the way it looks, we deliberately used it to bend the norms? Think of a Steampunk or Dieselpunk Ziggy Stardust.

Renji "Range" Murata's concept for Dio in the Last Exile anime.

Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2016, 08:44:13 am »

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.
Of course you're right, admiral. We are not historical re-enactors.
No, indeed not!

However, I find find historical sources to be an endlessly fascinating and continual source of inspiration for splendid steaminess. I thought the same would be true for other steamers.
Sorry to be wrong!

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2016, 01:07:37 pm »

Cant say i dont like men in corsets. Got to be honest there.

I actually know basic clockmaking now!
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2016, 01:38:34 pm »

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.
Of course you're right, admiral. We are not historical re-enactors.
No, indeed not!

However, I find find historical sources to be an endlessly fascinating and continual source of inspiration for splendid steaminess. I thought the same would be true for other steamers.
Sorry to be wrong!

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

Please forgive me, Prof. Cecily I wasn't specifically replying to your post. I also find inspiration in history (you may see that from my historical development of the backstory for alternative timelines, such as the background for the Austro-German Luftschiffengel, and the saga of Admiral Wilhelm over the Franco-American War over the Sonora Desert, basically a collision between the Freanch Intervention in Mexico and the American Civil War.  Also note  my posts in the Historical section (e.g. Ragtime and Honky Tonk music...), The Food thread (e.g. Victorian Food Brands Still Extant), and many posts peppered in other threads (The French influence on Mexican cuisine after the Maximilian Period), as a few examples, as I am, after all, an amateur historian).  So I wasn't critiquing your use of historical references at all.

Rather, I was giving a counterpoint on the purpose and usage of the corset (as extension of secondary male sexual characteristics, perhaps?), and replying to the previous statements above your post, in which it's stated in which specific way a male corset should be worn (implying a specific gender role), how it should look (it should be hidden from view), and even going as far as stating in which age range and weight range the corset should be worn!

So beware 20 year old young men, effeminate men or overweight men, corsets are definitely not for you!

Good analysis for history, perhaps, but rather poor analysis for modern Steampunks, I'd say.
ChiefStoker
Deck Hand

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2016, 07:24:13 pm »

Rather, I was giving a counterpoint on the purpose and usage of the corset (as extension of secondary male sexual characteristics, perhaps?), and replying to the previous statements above your post, in which it's stated in which specific way a male corset should be worn (implying a specific gender role), how it should look (it should be hidden from view), and even going as far as stating in which age range and weight range the corset should be worn!

So beware 20 year old young men, effeminate men or overweight men, corsets are definitely not for you!

Good analysis for history, perhaps, but rather poor analysis for modern Steampunks, I'd say.
Most people think of gender as a binary concept and that includes many clothing types. Those with more radical opinion like you may consider people following such rules not true steampunk, but everybody is entitled to their opinion.

When you dress in a different way from the mainstream you do it because:
  • you do not like mainstream
  • you do not want to follow rules
  • you want to be yourself
  • you want to be unique
  • you want attention
  • you want to send certain message to others

So when it comes to corsets, there may be many reasons why you want to incorporate them in your steampunk outfit. My opinion expressed conditions when I think a) it looks best b) the way others usually do it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: