The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 21, 2019, 07:18:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Things to see in London?  (Read 3181 times)
havardr
« on: May 15, 2007, 08:28:03 pm »

Hey!

I'm heading over to London this summer for a week or two, and as you seem to know a lot about steampunkstuff, I was wondering if there was anything steampunkish i just HAVE to see while in London?
Lilithgow
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Spiff.

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 10:43:19 pm »

The Science Museum has huge engines that are most entertaining. Well worth the admission.

It's free.

"I am a wordsmith. I take the words available to me and shovel them into the furnace of literature."
Professor Fzz
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 11:54:17 pm »

The Science Museum has huge engines that are most entertaining.

Yes, the steam engines there are fabulous.  And Stephenson's Rocket is there.

They also have two difference engines, plus their project to build a replica working difference engine #2. 

Click for larger image:

And the flight gallery, with Beta.

If you're here on a day when they're steaming, then the Kew Bridge Steam Museum is fabulous.  You can stand a right next to (almost inside of, actually) a 40 foot high Cornish Beam Engine while it's operating.  This engine has 90-inch diameter pistons to give you some idea of scale.

Slightly late for Steampunk (1920s), but awesome nonetheless, are the great engines at Kempton:

Didcot is less than an hour from Paddington on the train:

More Didcot pictures here and here and here.

If your tastes are more on the decorative side, then there's the Victora and Albert Museum.

For something different and some great Victorian architecture,visit the Royal Courts of Justice.  Anyone is allowed in; just turn up, but don't bring any weapons or cameras as they're not allowed.  Always amusing watching the barristers running around in wigs.

Well, that's enough to be starting with.  Depends what your tastes are really.

- Fzz

« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 12:17:23 am by Professor Fzz » Logged

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something. -  Thomas H. Huxley
Professor Fzz
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 12:15:10 am »

Oh, and I nearly forgot.  Too early really for Steampunk, but for me unmissable partly for their beauty and partly for their historical significance, are Harrison's clocks at the Greenwich Observatory.

And if you're going to Greenwich, the Cutty Sark in Greenwich isn't steamy, but outpaced steamships in her day.

The engines that power Tower Bridge are nice too.

- Fzz
Professor Fzz
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 12:42:51 am »

I keep remembering extra things.  I've not been myself, but I'm told Crossness pumping station just out of London to the South East is worth a visit too.  But they're not open to the public very often - only five steamdays this year,

- Fzz
Lilithgow
Officer

Spiff.

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 12:45:32 am »

Ah, the pumping station. A tribute to Victorian Mentality.

"We've got to make a sewage facility."
"Ugh."
"Hows about we make it more attractive than most buildings?"
"Like that plan."
Professor Fzz
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 12:55:05 am »

Ah, the pumping station. A tribute to Victorian Mentality.

"We've got to make a sewage facility."
"Ugh."
"Hows about we make it more attractive than most buildings?"
"Like that plan."

Indeed  Smiley

From the Crossness web page:

The Southern Outfall Works, as the complex was originally called, was officially opened on April 4th 1865, by HRH The Prince of Wales (later Edward VII), attended by Prince Alfred, the Duke of Cambridge, Prince Edward of Saxe-Weimar, the Archbishops of Canterbury and of York and the Lord Mayor of London, and many other persons of rank.

Following an address by Joseph Bazalgette, the Royal party toured the works and reservoirs, and the Prince then turned the wheel which started the engines and, as the Illustrated London News observed, "a sensible vibration was felt throughout the building, showing that the enormous beams, lifting-rods and flywheels were in operation" Following that, in the true Victorian spirit, the "Prince and five hundred guests sat down to an excellent dejeuner, in one of the ancillary sheds, beside the Engine House"

Can you imagine this for the opening of a sewage pumping station these days?   

- Fzz
KhaiJBach
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 12:58:49 am »

here's one a lot of ppl miss.

goto Convent Garden. apart from the London Underground Museum there's a little Gem thats always over looked.

now I can't guide you exactly here remember.. I left London a few years ago forever.

but in one of the Subcourts in the shopping area is a Victorian Coin Operated Machine Museum.

yup. all the old coin operated puppet machines, music players, games etc. it's tucked away in a subcourt there and a great place to visit.. I hope it's still there (not seen it since 2000)

KhaiJBach
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 01:01:39 am »

Got it!damn no longer at Convent Garden...

but...

I found it here

http://www.cabaret.co.uk/news.htm
Professor Fzz
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2007, 01:09:29 am »

goto Convent Garden. apart from the London Underground Museum

The London Transport Museum is also closed at the moment, as they're refurbishing the place.  I hope they don't spoil it - I rather liked it before.

- Fzz
VonBlimp
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2007, 08:54:54 am »

And if you're going to Greenwich, the Cutty Sark in Greenwich isn't steamy, but outpaced steamships in her day.

I believe it is currently under renovation... sadly  Embarrassed I was there a month or so ago.
CinnamonAndSpite
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2007, 09:08:15 am »

I keep remembering extra things.  I've not been myself, but I'm told Crossness pumping station just out of London to the South East is worth a visit too.  But they're not open to the public very often - only five steamdays this year,

- Fzz

I want my house to look like that! Just beautiful!
Professor Fzz
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2007, 10:15:05 am »

I believe it is currently under renovation... sadly  Embarrassed I was there a month or so ago.

Oh no!  The Curry Sark caught fire last night.   Cry
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: