The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
July 26, 2014, 08:08:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Official Facebook page: Brass Goggles

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GUESS presents "Glasgow By Gaslight" - Aug 8th - Maker Fair and Show  (Read 15553 times)
Daibhidh Fox-Talbot
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: June 22, 2009, 02:05:50 pm »

Hello all. Steampunk hits Scotland at last!

8th of August, year of our Lord 2009 please come to the 2nd City of the Empire for "Glasgow By Gaslight" We will have several local makers (myself included) showing a variety of creations from clothing, goggles and jewellery to miscellany of a contraptional nature.

In addition to our skilled makers several talented performers will be on hand for two proper period shows of variety. On the bill at present are the comic Incredulities of Chester Drawers and Tommy Tallboy, the magnificent magical marvels of Mr. Jim Cuthbert (including perhaps a small lecture on stage magic in the Victorian period), Several proper juggling acts, and many more to come!

But that is not all Glasgow offers, the event will be at the amazing and historic Britannia Panopticon Victorian/Edwardian Music Hall (http://www.britanniapanopticon.org/1.html) the oldest surviving music hall in all of the UK, which has been graciously donated for our use. By donated we do indeed mean the event is FREE of CHARGE to attend. Donations to the Panopticon Restoration Trust are of course greatly appreciated, as this all goes directly to the final full restoration of the hall.

The event itself runs from 1pm-6pm with shows at 1:30 and 4pm. After the show all are welcome to join G.U.E.S.S. (Glasgow University E. Steampunk Society) for dinner (location TBD) and then drinks at one of the many fine Victorian and Victorianesque pubs around Glasgow. There is a lot to do around Glasgow on a Saturday evening.

Also for anyone staying on until Sunday we will be pleased to arrange a trip to the Hunterian Gallery wherein are several of Lord Kelvin's own tools and equipment, as well as Watt's original modification of the Newcomen steam engine.

Above are the basics of the event, but more will be added, especially more acts. Please ask any questions you have about transit or accomidations.

Thank you,
Dean Halcyon Coolridge
Quartermaster - GUESS

Halcyon Atherton
Quartermaster - G.U.E.S.S.
Daibhidh Fox-Talbot
Gunner

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 10:05:37 pm »

Also on the bill for 'Glasgow by Gaslight', for your enjoyment the popular (in the late 1800's) songs of Mr. Harry Champion!

And for those with questions about life and themselves ask Dr. Freud, who's incarnation and psychoanalytic skills have been cleverly assembled into the marvellous "Freud Box" by our most skilled artisan Louise Lockhart!

Come see it all for no ticket price at all, that's right, free!

Dean Halcyon Coolridge
Quartermaster - GUESS
stardust
Zeppelin Overlord

friend of polar bear

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 11:35:14 pm »

i am not very far from glasgow and am interested in coming to this. can you tell me roughly how many people are to be expected?

and doesn't Mr. Kipling make exceedingly good cakes.......
greensteam
Zeppelin Overlord

Steamed up from birth

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 11:54:43 am »

i am not very far from glasgow and am interested in coming to this. can you tell me roughly how many people are to be expected?

Officer Stardust
Apart from local members and guests, the event is open to the public so I am hoping lots of curious citizens from the Second City of the Empire(http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/AboutGlasgow/History/The+Second+City.htm) will attend and be enthused.
regards
Dr Greensteam

So it's every hand to his rope or gun, quick's the word and sharp's the action. After all... Surprise is on our side.
stardust
Zeppelin Overlord

friend of polar bear

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 12:06:11 pm »

why thank you Dr Greenstream.
neon_suntan
Rogue Ætherlord

Gravatar

The scribe wore black

neonsuntan
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 01:03:26 pm »

This sounds fantastic... and Glasgow is such a great city... how far is the event from Byers Road?

greensteam
Zeppelin Overlord

Steamed up from birth

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 05:40:06 pm »

This sounds fantastic... and Glasgow is such a great city... how far is the event from Byers Road?
My Lord,
Not too far. Byres road (not Byers) is in the westend at underground station Hillhead and the Britannia Panopticon is in the very centre of the metropolis, on Trongate nearest underground station St Enochs or overground at Argyle st or High st. The Panopticon is a treat in and of itself and def worth a visit.
moremattrlessrt
Inactive Users
Swab

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 09:48:50 am »

Good day sirs,

This sounds absolutely marvelous, although I'm afraid I will be unable to attend on account of prior engagements.  Because it is also local and may be of interest to other enthusiasts, I'll mention it here.

I am involved with a production of William Shakespeare's Hamlet at the Edinburgh Fringe, a production specifically drawing its visual influence from Steampunk and Victoriana.  A previous run of the same production has already received a good deal of critical acclaim, and this one promises to be an even more engaging experience.  If you by chance may be interested in seeking us out, we are on at 7:25PM every night from the 7th of August until the 31st of the same month.  Details of the show may be found at:

http://www.edfringe.com/ticketing/detail.php?id=16440

Thank you my fine company, and I do so wish that I could attend the event in Glasgow.  Shame.

Christopher Z
Palmyrin Rosette
Snr. Officer

Gravatar

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 05:41:39 pm »

Excellent news, some Steampunk in Glasgow.

I've always meant to visit the Panopticon Theatre on the likes of Doors Open Day but have never got around to yet.

But this is in my diary now!

Smiley

Have you ever been alive?
Curious sensation isn't it..
Doctor Munchkinstein
Deck Hand

MapleWhiteLand Explorer Of The Year

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 08:27:43 pm »

The Panopticon is a fine old building with a wonderful atmosphere. The perfect place for such an event.

This does sound a most interesting afternoon and I look forward to stopping in.
Daibhidh Fox-Talbot
Gunner

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 09:21:49 pm »

Most Excellent to hear all of your enthused responses gentlemen and ladies.

I am pleased now to announce a further addition to our festive day. The Sarasvati Tribal Fusion bellydancing troupe will be performing for us as well (http://www.sarasvatitribal.co.uk/)

For the interest of planning, who may we count with us to the ale-hall following the show?

Halcyon Atherton,
Quartermaster - GUESS
PromethianConstruct
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 08:53:52 pm »

No FREAKING WAY!  I'm out climbing the Cobbler that day, and I fly out thursday back to the US.  How late will events be running?
Obsidian
Inactive Users
Swab

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 01:04:33 pm »

Good evening gentlemen, ladies,

This events sounds delightful, but unfortunately I have been asked to work during the day. Has there been a decision as to where dinner or drinks will be located in the evening? I was most disappointed that I missed G.U.E.S.S's last meet up.

Regards, Obsidian
Winny
Gunner

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2009, 07:28:32 pm »

How many people are local to Glasgow? I'm about 45 minuets by car away - no other options for transport but I'm thinking of coming along with my eldest - she is also hooked Cheesy
greensteam
Zeppelin Overlord

Steamed up from birth

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2009, 07:56:12 pm »

How many people are local to Glasgow? I'm about 45 minuets by car away - no other options for transport but I'm thinking of coming along with my eldest - she is also hooked Cheesy

GUeSS itself has 15-20 members now I think and we are hearing of quite a lot of nonmembers - friends and friends of friends etc from nearby.

Winny, I dont suppose you are going to the Lincoln steampunk event in September by any chance are you? Son and I getting desperate for a lift down as the trains would get us there so late. We would cover the petrol.
Winny
Gunner

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2009, 09:25:39 pm »

I'm not really making plans to travel to England at the moment, Limited funds due to looking for work, again, but as I am new to all this it was just to get idea of the local going ons, I've been doing this type of stuff for years and had no idea it had a name or following. Just to give an idea of where I am - we look out at the Trossock Hills, ace place to live but a little far to most things
Daibhidh Fox-Talbot
Gunner

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2009, 11:48:09 pm »

Hope its not too late to respond to a few questions here.

The event itself will be runing until 6pm, then we will be reconvening at Sloans pub and restaurant in Merchant City (very close) at about 7:30  until midnight...from then on its in the air. If you can't make it to the show we shall miss you, but join us at Sloans, we shouldn't be too hard to spot =)

Winny, I think the GUESS is actually pushing 30 members now (we haven't counted in a bit) and lots of folks coming from around and about. There are at least one contingent we know of coming from the 'Burgh.

Hope that was everything that was asked, and not too late as well.

Halcyon Atherton
Quartermaster - GUESS
Winny
Gunner

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2009, 09:34:40 pm »

I had a wonderful time  - thank you for such a lovely afternoons entertainment, my 12 year old daughter enjoyed it too, it was good to see the event went well, we couldn't get in at first due to the maximun amount of people in the hall.
I would be very interested in coming along to the next one and would have been happy to stay in to the evening but with child in attendance it was no impossible but not always the easiest mix public houses and children
Doctor Munchkinstein
Deck Hand

MapleWhiteLand Explorer Of The Year

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2009, 05:27:40 pm »

I would also like to add my thanks and congratulations. A most diverting entertainment and one I would happily repeat.

Keep up the good work chaps and chapesses.
Daibhidh Fox-Talbot
Gunner

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2009, 08:45:30 pm »

A fond thank you to all who attended! We count our first foray a successful endeavour, and will certainly in the future plan further revels.

Shocked I was to find such a response that some folk had to wait outside until the hall cleared a bit, an extra special thank you to those who did so, we at GUESS greatly appreciate that wonderful compliment!

I will post some pictures of the even here as I get some in over the next week. If anyone else has good pictures please do post them as well. I was running about so much at the affair that I scarcely had time to see some of our own exhibits =)

Halcyon Atherton
Quartermaster - GUESS
Atlas Cascade
Deck Hand

Alchoholic.

AsmodeusNOIR
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2009, 12:24:57 am »

Was a brilliant performance, and exquisite night.
One of the best nights out I have had in years.
Both the Panopticon and our booked room in Sloans were beautiful interesting places, and the company was of similar standards.
Just waiting for the next one!

Also, pictures?
Not many, not without myself in them anyway.

[Featuring the lovely Sarasvati Tribal Fusion Belly-Dancing Troupe.]
Glasgow Jon
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2009, 12:36:22 am »

Both the Panopticon and our booked room in Sloans were beautiful interesting places, and the company was of similar standards.

Also, pictures?

Blazes......... me cravat is all skewed from the excitement of the day. Must do better next time.

Better to be a dead Airship Pyrate than to exist in mediocrity!!

Glasgow Jon.
Lady Aeryn
Deck Hand

Mad Scientist Girl!!!

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2009, 12:39:21 am »

Also, pictures?

Blazes......... me cravat is all skewed from the excitement of the day. Must do better next time.

All said Darling.....still quite dashing in your top hat and cane.....

Lady Aeryn
Atlas Cascade
Deck Hand

Alchoholic.

AsmodeusNOIR
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2009, 12:41:27 am »

Ach, askew or nay, it was still a decent photograph.
briantomhson
Inactive Users
Swab

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2009, 08:03:00 pm »

Very nice post with a ton of informative information. I really appreciate the fact that you approach these topics from a stand point of knowledge and information
instead of the typical “I think” mentality that you see so much on the internet these days.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: