The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
August 25, 2019, 12:23:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk 4th plinth  (Read 13608 times)
anno
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2009, 07:02:45 pm »

He's up there right now!

http://www.oneandother.co.uk/

--

edit: And looking fantastic:

« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 07:06:42 pm by anno » Logged
stardust
Zeppelin Captain

friend of polar bear

« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2009, 07:51:59 pm »

wow, he's looking awesome!

and doesn't Mr. Kipling make exceedingly good cakes.......
sebastian Inkerman
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

scrounger and builder of mildly interesting stuff.

S_Inkerman
« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2009, 08:04:56 pm »

the buffering was getting to be a right pain in the arse by the end there, But kudos to you for not bowing to public pressure and "dance" or whatever the hell they were yelling at you. All the plinthers are a work of art in themselves without having to resort to entertaining the crowd.

I'm not sure if it was the angles that you were being broadcast from but I couldn't see the smoke stack smoking... Shame, but then it was a great outfit anyway.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 08:06:54 pm by sebastian Inkerman » Logged

Herr Döktor
Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2009, 08:16:27 pm »

Oh, very well done, sir! I've been dipping in and out for your hour on the plinth, and I'm impressed by your tenacity in the face of shouty people! It'#s a pity that your smoke ran out early, but at least your governor kept spinning!

Smiley

anno
Snr. Officer

« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2009, 08:27:01 pm »

Some random highlights below the spoiler tag. I loved that you took the crowd's photograph.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
passbyguy
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2009, 08:28:22 pm »

that is definitely one of the coolest things i've seen. great job!
Invision
Gunner
Christmas Island Christmas Island

« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2009, 09:56:16 pm »

that looks excellent haha, kudos
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2009, 10:12:57 pm »

I went down to Trafalgar Sq to watch him 'live'. He had a large contingent of family and friends  all cheering him on and taking snaps (while drinking wine..why not, eh?). I'd liked to have seen him do a few 'robot dance' moves but he only has two very small eye holes to see out off and probably couldn't see where the plinth ended.
I also couldn't see the smoke coming out his chimney but his back pack was so cool. The mouth moved on his mask as well but he didn't open and shut it very much.
I was wondering why he chose to paint it green and red and thought it might be because they're colours associated with old steam engines

I also met up with 'Colonial Steele' who was a lovely lady....and not just because she thought I was about 35  (I'm actually 50).
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 10:14:42 pm by Capt. Dirigible » Logged

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
Colonial Steele
« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2009, 10:46:19 pm »

I was wondering why he chose to paint it green and red and thought it might be because they're colours associated with old steam engines

I also met up with 'Colonial Steele' who was a lovely lady....and not just because she thought I was about 35  (I'm actually 50).

Why thank you!
And I thought it was green and red because he wanted to double it as a Christmas outfit.

I was very impressed with the outfit.  I saw smoke but could not capture it.  OP you capture my imagination, I took 250 photos and a lot are you!

This is a taster, I have a set on my flicker page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cjsteele/sets/72157621642891475/with/3743395739/

Now, back to housework before having to go to Heathrow at silly o'clock.
Maximum Humphries
Officer

« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2009, 10:30:14 am »

dear friends,
thanks to everyone who came down or watched the stream, it was fun, apart from the slipped velcro on the side seam (it makes me a bit sick to see it), special thanks to Steele for the lovelly photos, some really nice ones. i had to fill out forms and be interviewed for hours so i only had 7 mins to get ready, which was vexing, no time for my final checks, hence the slipped seam and mis-alined balaclava, which was why my mouth didn't work properly, and my steam whilstle was still in it's down travel position, but i guess that's the joy of live theatre. the smoke worked but was lost against the muggy sky or blown away for a lot of it, hadn't tried it outside, shame...
but enough about the stuff that didn't work, i had an awesome time!

p.s. ...totally right about the steam engine colour scheme...

"Ever forward, my darling wind..."
sebastian Inkerman
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

S_Inkerman
« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2009, 11:31:31 am »

Woo to you Sir. it is your effort that inspired me to apply myself (I had the idea of a Steampunked "Golf Sale ---->" sign)
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2009, 11:42:04 am »

p.s. ...totally right about the steam engine colour scheme...

You only needed a pair of rollerskates and you could have  been a character from Starlight Express!

Another thing you reminded me of (and I don't mean any offence by this as it was an awesome costume) but I commented to Colonial Steele that you  reminded me of a steampunk version of a Power Rangers villain.
Maximum Humphries
Officer

« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2009, 09:51:50 am »

You only needed a pair of rollerskates and you could have  been a character from Starlight Express!

Another thing you reminded me of (and I don't mean any offence by this as it was an awesome costume) but I commented to Colonial Steele that you  reminded me of a steampunk version of a Power Rangers villain.

The power rangers thing is definitely a compliment, but lloyd webber? ...yeesh...
Titus Wells
Zeppelin Captain

Forward The Steamtomaton Apocalypse!

« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2009, 12:55:56 pm »

Rolling Stock, we're Rolling Stock! You got no wheels you don't know how it feels...

I do love it... but only that one!

Okay, and JC Superstar but that's it I promise!

JCB anyone?

"Who would have guessed that behind the formidable brow of his, which appeared to be made of some kind of rook, there lay so strange a mixture of memories and thoughts?"

helios
Zeppelin Overlord
New Zealand New Zealand

Probably not Death, the Destroyer of Worlds

eliasvonhelios
« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2009, 12:59:08 pm »

We are watching that in school at the moment. It annoys the heck out of me.

In smoggiest day, in sooted night
no ignorance shall escape my sight.
Let those who worship ignorance's might,
beware my power... Brass Goggles light!
Titus Wells
Zeppelin Captain

Forward The Steamtomaton Apocalypse!

« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2009, 01:01:56 pm »

We are watching that in school at the moment. It annoys the heck out of me.

The original video version? Yeah, it's pants. The modern one which is almost filmed straight off the stage is better. Gethsemane is just such a haunting tune, and the 'heaven on their minds' lick is nassty!
The Hon. Archibald Keyes
Gunner

But Zeppelin!

« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2009, 02:04:33 pm »

Well done sir! I am thoroughly disappointed I couldn't come and cheer you on, but I had to assist my family in moving house.

Looked spectacular though!

Pew pew pew! I got you!
Maximum Humphries
Officer

« Reply #67 on: July 24, 2009, 11:32:47 am »

over a thousand views! finally i've done a post that cracks a thousand! hoo ha!
The Hon. Luc Du Rette
Snr. Officer

« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2009, 06:15:37 pm »

I just saw this today, and am I ever pleased that I could still watch your "hour of (steam) power"!
I can't think of a time when I have been more entertained by watching someone stand relatively still for an hour.
The costuming looked great, I noticed no defects, and I think you were truly inspiring.
On the few occasions your "exhaust" was against a dark background, I could even see the steam.
Even the close-up shots showed interesting detail, that was not necessarily visible from afar. (In particular, the area between your thorax and breastplates, it looked like springs or woven wire up close)
I think your "robot" had a noble bearing and a kind face.
I also liked the bits where you took photos of the crowd, was that for real? If so, did they come out?
It was nice to see you had so much support.
What an amazing project, and how thrilling it must have been to become a part of it!
On the other hand, I am sure you were relieved when the next plinther, Alan took over; and you could relax!

I doubt I would have had the courage to stand on that plinth with my own fear of heights.

-And on another note: The universe repair team needs more duct tape already
Gazongola
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

I am the flashing monocle.

« Reply #69 on: July 27, 2009, 12:56:11 am »

Wow, thats amazing. Teach me your ways!! Also I wish I had known about the signing up to the 4th plinth cos I would have tried. And I have just found out I can apply for September so I have signed up! I personally would be in my Toy Soldier (Dr Steel's army of) uniform.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 01:03:34 am by Gazongola » Logged
sebastian Inkerman
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

S_Inkerman
« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2009, 02:09:27 am »

Well, well, well, that's a turnip for the books...

As I said previously, I entered into the draw and was accepted. I've been allocated between 50.00 and 6.00 am on Thursday the 17th of September. I'll need to check with work to see if they will let me have the day off, but I'm all of a palaver now, I was kind of thinking about the Golf Sale sign and how it might be a bit amusing, but now I'm not so sure, so I'm throwing it open to suggestions... What do YOU think I should wear/do on the plinth? I don't want to make people aware of anything in particular, and let's face it, between 5.00 and 6.00am isn't really the best time to get a MESSAGE out there. So something whimsical and amusing would be the order of the day I think.
Maximum Humphries
Officer

« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2009, 04:25:47 pm »

Here's the interview i did with Clive Anderson on Skyarts, if anyone's interested...

I'm passing the thread over to you now Mr Inkerman, it's a lot of fun, i'm sure you'll come up with something good, can't wait to see...

anno
Snr. Officer

« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2009, 06:30:16 pm »

That was a great piece. They were clearly interested in what you'd created, which is nice.

Also: cute cat!
Kittybriton
Zeppelin Captain

Steampunk: absinthe-minded professors!

« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2009, 09:54:02 pm »

Mummy! Mummy! Is that C3PO's Grandad?

Join me in exploring the music of time!
(http://kittybriton.multiply.com/journal
Wayland2002
Snr. Officer