The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 21, 2019, 06:28:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk 4th plinth  (Read 13625 times)
Maximum Humphries
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: June 18, 2009, 09:26:21 am »

Hullo all,
so i don't know if you guys have heard about Anthony Gormley's 4th plinth project, one & other, but basically he's getting one different person to stand on the empty plinth in trafalgar square for 1 hour for a hundred days. and i got picked. obviously i'm going to go up as something steampunkish, possibly building on the mechanical wings i built a couple of months ago, anyone got any suggestions for definitive bits for a steampunk costume?

"Ever forward, my darling wind..."
anno
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 02:15:36 pm »

Brilliant. For those who don't know about the project, you can find out about the project here.

What bits and pieces of costume do you already have?
Maximum Humphries
Officer

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 08:52:28 am »

well, i've already got loads of bit's of steampunk stuff, but i make costumes and props for my job, so i'm kind of planning to make something new from scratch, possibly some sort of flying suit with wings, or go as the "Spirit of Invention", whatever that is...
The Kernel
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 09:40:23 am »

May I suggest photographs would definitly be in order
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 10:09:42 am »

well, i've already got loads of bit's of steampunk stuff, but i make costumes and props for my job, so i'm kind of planning to make something new from scratch, possibly some sort of flying suit with wings, or go as the "Spirit of Invention", whatever that is...

That's a great idea..be careful of strong winds around the top of the plinth, though. If you've got big wings on and a stong gust gets you.....

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
markf
Goggleologist
United States United States

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 11:52:44 am »

That's a great idea..be careful of strong winds around the top of the plinth, though. If you've got big wings on and a stong gust gets you.....

Still another great reason for photos please.  markf

US ARMY-WORKING HARDER, NOT SMARTER. Steampunk Smart Car & Office Cubicle, Levitating Mossarium, Dive Pocket Watch; 1915 Wilson Goggles/Swing-Arm Monocular; Boiling Tube Lamp; Pocket Watch/Cell Phone; Air Kraken Augmentotron. http://sites.google.com/site/steampunkretrofuturedesignsmd
Countessa Lenora
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

CountessaLenora
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 05:20:40 pm »

What a great project.  You are very lucky.  Have fun with it and definitely give us photos  Smiley

Proud to be a Canadian Steampunk
Maximum Humphries
Officer

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 10:24:24 pm »

so, i've decided to dress up as a steam-bot, started my costume last night, but i'm working ten till four each day, so to get it finished i'm working the dreaded 6am till midnight shift on top, haven't had to do that since i made those dinosaurs...

here's the start of the head, still a way to go before final casting...

and here's what will be cast in rubber for the shoulder joints...

here's the chest piece (will have to cut it up into small pieces to make it more flexible). the main body is made from sheet reno-flex, if anyone wondering, it's that super-lightweight, fabric-impregnated thermoplastic that's probably in the toes of some shoes in your house, v.usefull (you can see my mannequin i cast it from in the background, if you ever get a chance to get a mannequin in your dimensions, take it, one of the best buys i ever made)...

only got a week left from tommorrow, i'm up from 7 till 8pm on tuesday the 21st, so anyone near trafalgar square, please come down and show me some support. i'm hoping if my costumes good enough something i've made might make it up onto the actual blog. a boy can dream...

Maximum Humphries
Officer

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 10:25:42 pm »

here's a bad photo of me in it, made the trousers last week, check out those 16th century half falls all you pattern cutting lovers!

Maximum Humphries
Officer

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 10:26:30 pm »

...and finally, last but by no means least, here's the new addition to my little family, everyone, Margot, Margot, everyone...

Titus Wells
Zeppelin Captain

Forward The Steamtomaton Apocalypse!

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 10:28:42 pm »

Aaaah. (The Cat that is!)

Is renoflex cheaper than wonderflex? Wonderflex is a superb material but always out of my price range for personal projects. I know Jonny was using renoflex last week but he couldn't tell me how much it cost.

"Who would have guessed that behind the formidable brow of his, which appeared to be made of some kind of rook, there lay so strange a mixture of memories and thoughts?"

Herr Döktor
Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 10:33:30 pm »

Excellent work, Mr. Humphries!

Just make sure it's well ventilated, or stick some PC fans in it, I don't want to hear any stories of fainting steampunk robots in Trafalgar Square!

Smiley

PS: Hello Margot!

Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 10:36:27 pm »

I was tempted to apply, and spend a hour up there in a chair, reading a newspaper.

That said, London's a long way away if you only want to read the Times on a big rock box in an open space.
Maximum Humphries
Officer

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2009, 11:09:26 pm »

Is renoflex cheaper than wonderflex? Wonderflex is a superb material but always out of my price range for personal projects. I know Jonny was using renoflex last week but he couldn't tell me how much it cost.

way cheaper, wonderflex is the same material, just at a staggering 600% markup, it.s 13.50 a sheet plus p&p, as opposed to £73. that's why i don't use Flint's very often...
cori's getting in on an order with us in the next couple of weeks, give her a ring...

Excellent work, Mr. Humphries!

Just make sure it's well ventilated, or stick some PC fans in it, I don't want to hear any stories of fainting steampunk robots in Trafalgar Square!

Smiley

PS: Hello Margot!

i hadn't thought of that, and it's going to get even hotter as i spent this morning rebuilding a "given up for dead" Look Solutions Tiny Fogger to power the chimney, it may be the world's smallest fog machine, but it can get pretty hot!  i'll just have to rely on my constitution.

p.s. Margot says hi back...
Maximum Humphries
Officer

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 09:16:50 pm »

just stuck on the first shoulder joint...

stardust
Zeppelin Captain

friend of polar bear

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2009, 09:41:00 pm »

my friend who i live with has been chosen for 20th august. he's hasn't made up his mind what he's going to do yet. if the nanny state will allow it he wants to make a fire (in a fire pan not on the stone) and boil the kettle and make  cup of tea.

i think your idea is much better! it's 8m high though so i'd definately watch out for strong winds.

and doesn't Mr. Kipling make exceedingly good cakes.......
sebastian Inkerman
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

scrounger and builder of mildly interesting stuff.

S_Inkerman
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2009, 01:09:51 am »

wow, shaping up to be an excellent costume there Mr. Humphries, very impressive indeed.

Maximum Humphries
Officer

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2009, 07:20:16 am »

my friend who i live with has been chosen for 20th august. he's hasn't made up his mind what he's going to do yet. if the nanny state will allow it he wants to make a fire (in a fire pan not on the stone) and boil the kettle and make  cup of tea.

i think your idea is much better! it's 8m high though so i'd definately watch out for strong winds.

that's quite cool, my other idea was to dress up as a 1950's housewife and drag up a massive old hover and just spend an hour hoovering, which i thought would have been funny (especially with my sideburns)...
Titus Wells
Zeppelin Captain

Forward The Steamtomaton Apocalypse!

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2009, 08:48:48 pm »

that's quite cool, my other idea was to dress up as a 1950's housewife and drag up a massive old hover and just spend an hour hoovering, which i thought would have been funny (especially with my sideburns)...

Sings: "I want to break free, I want to break free...."
Copper Sulphate
Zeppelin Captain
Denmark Denmark

Teslarian Electrosteam Contraptor

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2009, 11:21:17 pm »

i hadn't thought of that, and it's going to get even hotter as i spent this morning rebuilding a "given up for dead" Look Solutions Tiny Fogger to power the chimney, it may be the world's smallest fog machine, but it can get pretty hot!  i'll just have to rely on my constitution.

How about attaching the smoke machine and its battery in custom compartments on the outside of the torso shell? Could easily be made to look like whatever you want, camouflaging the devices while giving them both much better cooling. Also this would leave room for a few small fans to be inserted into the chimneys. You don't need much of a draft to have a noticeable effect, particularly not if you are sweating. Wink

July 19th, 02009: Lab project delayed. Local home 'improvement' stores have apparently stopped carrying any kind of quality DIY materials... Huh
July 15th, 02009: Much progress was made today on clearing out my future laboratory, yet there is a ways to go still.
Maximum Humphries
Officer

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2009, 12:34:18 pm »

here's the head coming along...

JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord

The Green Dungeon Alchemist

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2009, 12:43:57 pm »

Your costume will be fantastic my good man!
Now I have a small request, that you shout "DOCTOR STEEL FOR WORLD EMPEROR!" Atleast once while on the podium Smiley

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.
Cpt Wallace
Snr. Officer

Stand and Deliver

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2009, 01:37:01 pm »

What day are you going up and at what time?
Maximum Humphries
Officer

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2009, 01:53:22 pm »

What day are you going up and at what time?

i'm up this tuesday evening from 7-8pm, so it's boilers on full steam!
sebastian Inkerman
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

scrounger and builder of mildly interesting stuff.

S_Inkerman
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2009, 02:43:11 pm »

Just had a gander and there is a SkyArts live feed HERE

Should anyone want to cheer on our Automaton Humphries (that is of course if you can't make it down in person)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 03:28:41 pm by sebastian Inkerman » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: