The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 16, 2018, 09:21:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... 40   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Non-steamed steampunk guns  (Read 329922 times)
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #425 on: February 16, 2012, 02:43:35 am »

The Nagant 1895 is most assuredly Steampunk in nature.  I converted mine to single action (for Cowboy Action Shooting), it is a simple conversion and can be reversed just as easily.

I have a damascus double that I shoot, from about 1902; I use light loads or black powder in it, and it doesn't worry me.  It is a nice piece, though not rare or expensive.  Someone even had the hammers and triggers gold-plated.

Cheers!

Chas.

Captain Sir Charles A. Lyerly, O.B.T.
Soldier of Fortune and Gentleman Adventurer
wire: captain_lyerly, at wire office "Yahoo dot Qom"

"You'd think he'd learn."
"Heh! De best minions neffer do!"
The Timemachinist
Deck Hand

« Reply #426 on: February 16, 2012, 05:17:03 am »

These are both Webley & Scott flare guns

Tower
« Reply #427 on: February 16, 2012, 07:03:05 am »

Those flare guns are great...I made need to build something like for my next handcannon. I think they would be a good match for my .81 caliber cartridge with reduced loads so it doesn't snap your wrist.
Story
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #428 on: February 16, 2012, 06:08:49 pm »

If the gun was made before 1898 it did not have to be registered it was grandfathered by the fact that it was made before what is considered a modern firearm.... I own a Beretta M1918/30 it is a short barreled semiauto 9mm carbine a grandson of the Villia perosa WWI Smg. because of it's age and collectability it was grandfathered by ATFE. no registration required... of course who is going to rob a liquor store with a $2000.00+ gun? this was more a case of the local ATFE agent not knowing the law or just wanting to add something neat to the collection.

D. Oakes might have been describing a factory-made Howdah pistol (discussed elsewhere in this thread, I think), in which case a sharp lawyer should have argued that it fit the BATFE's C&R Exception list (like the  Ithaca Auto/Burglar).

If the breechloader taking 12 gauge cartridges (even if made before 1898) started it's life as a full-length shotgun and was then cut-down, it's a No-Go unless registered *before conversion* as a Short Barrel Shotgun ($200 tax stamp).

A scrimmage in a Border Station
    A canter down some dark defile
      Two thousand pounds of education
        Drops to a ten-rupee jezail
Uncle Arthur
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #429 on: February 16, 2012, 06:18:48 pm »

Those flare guns ROCK! But the brass truncheon rocks even more!

If at first you don't succeed , CHEAT!
MRBLUE
Swab

« Reply #430 on: February 16, 2012, 09:28:14 pm »

I have a replica Jongen A Liege prop pistol do u happen to know the value or history on it?
Tower
« Reply #431 on: February 16, 2012, 09:51:55 pm »

If the breechloader taking 12 gauge cartridges (even if made before 1898) started it's life as a full-length shotgun and was then cut-down, it's a No-Go unless registered *before conversion* as a Short Barrel Shotgun ($200 tax stamp).

Which is hilarious to me since if it wasn't cut down and actually started life as a pistol its fine.  I never understand the logic of a system where you can have two weapons that are exactly the same in form and function yet one is illegal and one is not because of how they where made.

Its just like those Rossi mare's leg guns, cut down a lever gun and its illegal, buy a lever action pistol in the same caliber and length and its fine.
Uncle Arthur
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #432 on: February 16, 2012, 09:58:01 pm »

At what point did the government EVER resort to logic?
KABAR2
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #433 on: February 16, 2012, 11:54:03 pm »

Which is hilarious to me since if it wasn't cut down and actually started life as a pistol its fine.  I never understand the logic of a system where you can have two weapons that are exactly the same in form and function yet one is illegal and one is not because of how they where made.

Its just like those Rossi mare's leg guns, cut down a lever gun and its illegal, buy a lever action pistol in the same caliber and length and its fine.

The reason this is so is because the law reads you can't make a pistol out of a rifle with out registering it as a Short barrled rifle. but a manufacturer can build rifle type actions registering them as pistols as long as the action has never been built as a rifle it can be built as a pistol.

Alter-ego Baron Rinehold Tredmore on Sparegoggles
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #434 on: February 17, 2012, 07:51:50 am »

The reason this is so is because the law reads you can't make a pistol out of a rifle with out registering it as a Short barrled rifle. but a manufacturer can build rifle type actions registering them as pistols as long as the action has never been built as a rifle it can be built as a pistol.

That answered a question I've been having about a potential purchase.  (Of course the fiance is begging me to get her something a lot more modern in some really interesting hot pink camouflage scheme.... Grin....I must admit it looks really cool.  I'd post a picture if I could find it and if it was compliant with the rules of the thread.)

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over." -Rhett Butler
KABAR2
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #435 on: February 17, 2012, 11:20:27 pm »

If someone has a question as to the Federal gun regulations within the U.S.A. feel free to pm me,
I should be able to give you an answer or stear you to a web site that will be able to, also each state has it's own regulations/laws and they are not alway the same state to state or to federal.......
just remember I am not a lawyer nor do I pretend to be but I will try to help those with questions
stay out of trouble with the law.
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #436 on: February 18, 2012, 12:10:26 am »

I have a replica Jongen A Liege prop pistol do u happen to know the value or history on it?

Is it a single shot or revolver? details and indeed a picture would greatly assist.

Check Finnlock's post halfway down here btw.

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=16489.250
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 12:16:42 am by Argus Fairbrass » Logged

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
elvisroe
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #437 on: February 18, 2012, 05:45:12 am »

These are both Webley & Scott flare guns

I love those brass webleys!! I passed up on one going cheap a few years back and have always regretted it  Embarrassed
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Wot's a personal text?

« Reply #438 on: February 18, 2012, 10:57:29 pm »

Jezails. Accept no substitutes or  disagreements.

Toll the Great Bell Once!
Pull the Lever forward to engage the
Piston and Pump...

Toll the Great Bell Twice!
With push of Button fire the Engine
And spark Turbine into life...

Toll the Great Bell Thrice!
Sing Praise to the
God of All Machines!
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #439 on: February 20, 2012, 04:03:35 am »

Jezails. Accept no substitutes or  disagreements.

This thread keeps reminding me of sad stories from my days a collector and seller.   :'(

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Wot's a personal text?

« Reply #440 on: February 20, 2012, 04:20:29 am »

Sad, but hopefully he'll realize the value of what he's got.
ProperRocket
Gunner

« Reply #441 on: February 22, 2012, 01:42:54 am »

Take a look at this monstrosity. 48 shot revolver (If you could hold it up). Tongue

Do automatons dream of clock work sheep?
Uncle Arthur
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #442 on: February 22, 2012, 02:25:20 am »

Fantastic gun but WAY beyond NUTS!
KABAR2
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #443 on: February 22, 2012, 03:38:15 am »

Take a look at this monstrosity. 48 shot revolver (If you could hold it up). Tongue

The brass shield is there so you can hold onto the barrel by the brass bit in front of the shield...
Being percussion I cringe at the thought of a chainfire.......
elvisroe
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #444 on: February 23, 2012, 08:46:05 am »

Sweet mother of God!!!
Darkhound
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #445 on: February 23, 2012, 09:50:09 am »

All right mate. Show me the holster.

"Stupidity is a curse with which even the Gods struggle in vain. Ignorance we can fix."
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #446 on: February 23, 2012, 11:21:44 am »

All right mate. Show me the holster.

I think we just stumbled on the reason for introducing open-carry laws in certain states.. Grin

OswaldBastable
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Not in front of the men..................

« Reply #447 on: February 23, 2012, 09:55:19 pm »

Do you get a free child as a mobile rest when you buy one?

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #448 on: February 24, 2012, 03:40:09 am »

Indeed.  A chain-fire could leave one...

Wait for it!

Short-handed?

Grin

Chas.
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #449 on: February 27, 2012, 06:51:52 pm »

I've seen some interesting ideas for increased shot capacity, but I think that takes the cake.  Cheesy

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... 40   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: