The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
April 14, 2021, 02:28:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 40   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Non-steamed steampunk guns  (Read 428593 times)
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

~~Blast from the past~~

« Reply #300 on: March 19, 2011, 02:31:00 pm »

That Webley Fosberry could have been so much sexier with a few design tweaks.. time to start photoshopping.. Smiley
Leadmill
Snr. Officer
England England

British Army liason on HMS Valkyrie

« Reply #301 on: March 19, 2011, 03:53:05 pm »

Vickers MMG Smiley
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

~~Blast from the past~~

« Reply #302 on: March 25, 2011, 10:40:08 pm »

I found a definite contender just now:

Yeah, that's a pistol based on the Mosin Nagant rifle..

Here's a video of a similar weapon:

Mosin Nagant 91/30 (NFA, SBR) (External Embedding Disabled)

I'm actually surprised how manageable that looks, I was expecting the gun to fly all over the place.. rifle rounds in a pistol and all that..

Grumfoss
Zeppelin Captain
Wales Wales

« Reply #303 on: March 25, 2011, 10:43:47 pm »

Mosin Nagant 91/30 (NFA, SBR)

I'm actually surprised how manageable that looks, I was expecting the gun to fly all over the place.. rifle rounds in a pistol and all that..

Ooooh I like that, what a great looking gun, Fab.

Tower
« Reply #304 on: March 26, 2011, 01:17:44 am »

With that short of barrel I suspect that the bullets leave the gun at close to pistol velocities anyway so It should be manageable.  Cool gun, personally I'm saving up for a .44 mag Mare's leg pistol to go with my .44 revolver.
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

Capt of the "AO Victoria," Cdr of the Aeronauts!

« Reply #305 on: March 26, 2011, 06:45:57 am »

Time to dust off the Class III SBR forms and save up the tax stamp money again...  Dognabit, why did you have to post that?!?!? 

And on a  side note, that gun is TOTALLY steampunk, it's basically a short Mosin Nagant M1891 (the 91/30 is the same rifle, just a little lighter, and the magazine spring is attached to the base of the mag.).

The actual design is historical as well, russin trench fighters would chop their 91/30s short like that, called an Obrez.  Great for putting a 6 inch hole in your target's chest, AND setting them on fire!  Granted, it may break your finger...

Still, I'm a huge fan of the classic "Mare's Leg" Winchester 92 SBR.  Great thing is, Rossi is now making one called the "Ranch Hand," same thing that Steve McQueen carried in "Wanted: Dead or Alive!"  Needless to say, I'm quite stoked...

Don't let these shakes go on, it's time we had a break from it. Send me to the rear! Where the Tides of Madness swell, and men sliding into Hell...

Oh please don't let these shakes go on...
Arvis
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Never underestimate the power of a hairless monkey

« Reply #306 on: March 26, 2011, 07:12:50 am »

*Licks lips and looks to the left at the 1891 in the corner behind the door and then right across the room at the hacksaw hanging on the wall*
 I think I'm going to be thinking this over long and hard...   ...I'm done thinking. I'm going to get another 1891 to butcher unless it's better than my current one. I bet it would look really nice with the bayonet mounted to the muzzle. I'd have to save the "good" ammo for the pistol though. The cheap surplus Bulgarian rounds I have are the devil to cycle!

Arvis

DAG-NABBIT...I cut it and cut it and cut it... an it's STILL TOO SHORT!
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

« Reply #307 on: March 26, 2011, 10:56:53 am »

*Licks lips and looks to the left at the 1891 in the corner behind the door and then right across the room at the hacksaw hanging on the wall*
 I think I'm going to be thinking this over long and hard...   ...I'm done thinking.

$200 in tax, approval from BATF, and Big Brother can come knocking any time and say "It says you have THIS serial numbered SBR, SHOW us."

AND you have to keep your papers WITH the gun, and take them WITH you when you shoot.

In the end, is it really worth it?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Note:  I could be wrong on Big Brother and the papers, but that's what I've been told by friends with Class III goodies...  At any rate, I'll be doing the same thing-there's a gunshow locally in May, what's more!  YAY!!!
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

~~Blast from the past~~

« Reply #308 on: March 26, 2011, 01:04:44 pm »

Yeah, it would be a short-barreled rifle.. now if only you could get blank receivers that haven't been made into a rifle yet - based on that, the exact same thing would be classified as a pistol. Same exact trick the mare's leg builders use.. or the 'pistol' variants of the AK47-clones..
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

~~Blast from the past~~

« Reply #309 on: March 26, 2011, 03:59:06 pm »

How ´bout one of these, but based on the American M1 Garand.. 8 rounds of .30-06 and semi-auto? Grin
Arvis
Zeppelin Admiral

Never underestimate the power of a hairless monkey

« Reply #310 on: March 26, 2011, 04:01:35 pm »

How ´bout one of these, but based on the American M1 Garand.. 8 rounds of .30-06 and semi-auto? Grin

Not as much trouble, where's the fun in that!?

Edit: (Besides, do a cost comparison before you go hack'n em up!)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 04:03:13 pm by Arvis » Logged
Darkhound
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #311 on: March 26, 2011, 04:56:46 pm »

Cutting a Garand's barrel back to the end of the gas system would get you about an inch and a half. Major re-engineering to shorten the gas system. Too bad.

"Stupidity is a curse with which even the Gods struggle in vain. Ignorance we can fix."
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

~~Blast from the past~~

« Reply #312 on: March 26, 2011, 07:12:02 pm »

Hmm, yeah.. that's true.. hadn't thought about that.. Oh well.. the Mosin pistol looks bad-ass enough..
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #313 on: March 26, 2011, 08:59:57 pm »

I think I'm going to be thinking this over long and hard...   ...I'm done thinking.

$200 in tax, approval from BATF, and Big Brother can come knocking any time and say "It says you have THIS serial numbered SBR, SHOW us."

AND you have to keep your papers WITH the gun, and take them WITH you when you shoot.

In the end, is it really worth it?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Note:  I could be wrong on Big Brother and the papers, but that's what I've been told by friends with Class III goodies...  At any rate, I'll be doing the same thing-there's a gunshow locally in May, what's more!  YAY!!!

I think the gov't, any gov't of any nation has no buusiness stopping people from self-defense.

What do we want? Decapitations!
Tower
« Reply #314 on: March 26, 2011, 09:40:55 pm »

There really aren't any laws in most states that limit actual every-day self defense,  they just limit doing fun things with guns Smiley  A .38 revolver could solve 99% of self defense problems but wouldn't be very much fun to own and useless for the actually purposes of the second amendment.

The real problem is that most gun laws have nothing to do with self defense, either pro or con. SBR is good example.  Cutting down a gun you already own is illegal without at tax, buying a gun with the exact same spec's is fine, probably because the Gov. is knows it gets paid taxes on those or because fifty years ago someone thought that sawed off rifles where somehow more dangerous than a handgun.

Anyway, I like my guns too much to hack them up. I'm just going to buy one of those Rossi "handguns"
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 09:44:42 pm by Tower » Logged
Astalo
Zeppelin Captain
Finland Finland

« Reply #315 on: March 26, 2011, 10:11:13 pm »

That Mosing Nagant "pistol" look very interesting. It also reminds me of this silly air rifle modification from my teen years.  Roll Eyes

akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

~~Blast from the past~~

« Reply #316 on: March 26, 2011, 10:19:11 pm »

break-barrel airgun? Must be a pig to cock with that short barrel. Not a whole lot of leverage there.. Unless it's a pretty weak gun to start with - my only airgun experience is with 1000fps Gamo guns..
Astalo
Zeppelin Captain
Finland Finland

« Reply #317 on: March 26, 2011, 10:33:31 pm »

Yeah.. That's why I put the bayonet thing for giving it more leverage.

It's modified from some cheap Chinese air rifle and I used it mainly for shooting rats very close ranges in our barn house. Last time was almost ten years ago.
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

~~Blast from the past~~

« Reply #318 on: March 26, 2011, 10:46:02 pm »

Grabbing a knife by the blade doesn't seem like a very safe way to cock a gun.. Grin
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

« Reply #319 on: March 26, 2011, 10:50:37 pm »

Yeah, it would be a short-barreled rifle.. now if only you could get blank receivers that haven't been made into a rifle yet - based on that, the exact same thing would be classified as a pistol. Same exact trick the mare's leg builders use.. or the 'pistol' variants of the AK47-clones..

*Starts googling*

I WILL win...
elvisroe
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #320 on: April 06, 2011, 11:10:20 pm »

There was an Aussie film recently about an underground battle between German and British/Aussie miners on the Western Front during WW1 (Beneath Hill 60) That had the Aussie miners taking sawn-off Enfields with them down the mines.  Great little Indy flick if you like your military history.

Anyway...
These little relics were apparently found near that particular battlefield.

Kick like a bastard I reckon!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 11:25:57 pm by elvisroe » Logged
Musist
Gunner
Australia Australia

Bohemian

« Reply #321 on: April 07, 2011, 12:34:00 pm »

My wrist hurts just looking at it!

Elphinn H. Steelvolte

The trouble with our times is that the future is not what it used to be.
Ambroise-Paul-Toussaint-Jules Valéry
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

The noblest pleasure is the joy of understanding.

« Reply #322 on: April 08, 2011, 01:21:53 am »

this?

I have had one of these "kits" from Dixie Gun Works for years.  Since you need to actually drill/bore the barrel out mine might never shoot.  A couple pounds of brass key is probably more effective as a club that a small caliber matchlock any way.   I do not think that I can recommend this to anyone unless you can get it really cheap. 

-Karl
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #323 on: April 08, 2011, 05:13:56 am »

There was an Aussie film recently about an underground battle between German and British/Aussie miners on the Western Front during WW1 (Beneath Hill 60) That had the Aussie miners taking sawn-off Enfields with them down the mines.  Great little Indy flick if you like your military history.

Anyway...
These little relics were apparently found near that particular battlefield.

Here's a battlefield pic of one of those in action:

Grin

Cheers!

Chas.

Captain Sir Charles A. Lyerly, O.B.T.
Soldier of Fortune and Gentleman Adventurer
wire: captain_lyerly, at wire office "Yahoo dot Qom"

"You'd think he'd learn."
"Heh! De best minions neffer do!"
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain