The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 20, 2019, 11:34:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... 36   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Extended Steam Salon  (Read 96236 times)
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #650 on: July 09, 2009, 11:16:13 pm »

Singing along, she brought out coffee and breakfast. After it was passed out, she set her own plate down, smiling. "Just keep playing, Brantley, anything..." She pulled Tommy's hand. "Think ya could dance with a dame for a few?" Her voice was playful, and it sparkled in her face.

Action! Adventure! Possible Harlotry!
Abis do it for SCIENCE!
BrassGoggles 2012 Pin-Up Calander!
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #651 on: July 09, 2009, 11:38:17 pm »

"I ain't much of a dancer, sweetheart, but if it'll make ya happy, I'll try. I'll try not ta step on yer feet."
She is a bouncy, charming armful, and the lack of gravity makes even Tommy's clumsy efforts seem almost graceful.

Yet well thy soul hath brooked the turning tide, with that innate, untaught philosophy,Which, be it wisdom, coldness, or deep pride, is gall and wormwood to an enemy.
Miss Cheshire Cat
Officer

http://public4.tektek.org/img/av/0909/d06/2144/c7f

« Reply #652 on: July 09, 2009, 11:41:56 pm »

Evie let her bag go slightly, and looked up at Brantley.

"No, I'm fine, but thanks for your concern. Space travel is just a little...different."

She was glad to see that everyone was finally in better spirits as she got up. She made herself a bit more comfortable, and felt a little better. The absence of gravity was odd, but somewhat exhilerating. The dinner the night before seemed somewhat grim, and it made her feel better to see that either everyone forgot or no longer felt like this would be their last day. She smiled and hummed along to the tune, swaying slightly, not wanting to break into a full dance in the strange conditions.

I apply my personality in a paste- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #653 on: July 10, 2009, 12:10:14 am »

Brantley  played Lil Redwing, The Ramblin' Rover, Under the Double Eagle, Somewhere Across The Sea; Several Waltzes, including Margravine's Waltz, Shepherd's Wife's waltz, Jessica Waltz; some really old tunes such as Apple Blossom, and the ragtime barn-burner T'ain't No Sin
If the heat just gets ta burnin',
and you can't get ice cream cones,
well, t'ain't no sin
just take off yer skin.
and dance around in yo bones...

a few new ones such as Orange Colored Sky ("crack, bam, allakazam"),

I was walkin along,
mindin' my business,
underneath an orange colored sky,
CRACK! BAM! ALLA KAZAM!
Wonderful you walked by...

And attempted Sing, Sing, Sing, but made a really hysterical mistake during the jungle-dance segment and fell over laughing uproariously at himself.

After he recovered, he saw the other staring at him, and said, "Well, you know, blowin' that much air, kinda makes you light-headed..."

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #654 on: July 10, 2009, 01:33:57 am »

She laughed breathlessly when the music stopped, leaning against Tommy. "I'm glad we can have fun today."

She saw Evie loosen up a bit, but the rest were still quiet, minding their breakfast. She wondered what was on their minds briefly, but thought that each of them were going to process everything at their own pace. Not everyone was going to try to ignore the empty space with such reckless abandon as she. Snuggling against Tommy, she was glad to have something to remind her what they were doing this for.
Captain Brandsson
Zeppelin Admiral

"We've done the impossible, that makes us mighty."

« Reply #655 on: July 10, 2009, 02:56:17 am »

This was a type of crazy I'd only ever seen once before.
We were sitting in an egg on the way to a mass murder/suicide and Cross was singing and dancing.
I shouldn't have been there.  I should have been drinking lousy booze at a lousy dive in lousy part of town, but I was here, instead.
Why? Because she'd never let me die alone, not if she could help it.  The least I could do was return the favor.

I checked my gear: one borrowed suit.  That was it.  Great.

- Maximilian
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #656 on: July 10, 2009, 03:53:15 pm »

She felt more than saw Max's dissapproval. It was heavy, and settled between her shouldblades. She turned to see him, still in his seat, and the look in her eyes spoke volumes. She believed in what they were doing, even if it wasn't an ideal course of action. She was happy to be against the man beside her, she was sad that Max had a problem with it all, she new they needed to speak, and she knew he'd approach her when ready to talk about it. And she was worried about him, so very worried about him.
Captain Brandsson
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #657 on: July 10, 2009, 04:50:21 pm »

"So are we gonna go over this plan or are we just gonna make like it's the Brown Derby until we die?"
If there was even a one in a million chance of getting out alive I wasn't lose it because this gang wanted to treat slaughter like a Fourth of July party.
"Everybody needs a job to do and they need to know it in their sleep by the time we land or they get a new job: Get shot instead of me."
I'd already died once this week.  I didn't care for it.
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #658 on: July 10, 2009, 06:12:50 pm »

Tommy isn't much of one for dancing, and though he enjoys holding Abiliegh, when she goes to talk to the somber faced Max Brandsson, he gets a cup of tea, and, taking a seat on the bunk, begins leafing through one of the mysterious comic books. Reading through a few pages, he is soon engrossed in the story, and a few minutes later startles everyone in the cabin when he sits bolt upright and hollers, "Holy Cow!" Everyone looks at the big detective, on whose face is a look of utter surprise and consternation. "MW," he says quietly, "Get on the radio, and signal the Baron's transport...there's another way to do this...a better way. We're not going to kill all th' Martians after all, and we're still gonna save th' Earth. An' before ya ask, it ain't my idea...it's all right here in this comic book!"
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #659 on: July 10, 2009, 06:20:55 pm »

She went over to make, sitting sideways on the chair next to him. She kept her voice low. "Max.. I know you're sore with my bein' frivilous like this, but let me explain somethin'..." She stumbled over what was happening inside her, tried to explain her fear at the void presented to a psionic is open space, and she was just about to tell him about the voice when Tommy started shouting.

"Well, Tommy... Tell us!" Her hand squeezed Max's as she looked expectantly at Tommy for the story, and she prayed to whomever could hear her out here that it was a executable idea.
Captain Brandsson
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #660 on: July 10, 2009, 06:23:13 pm »

"Have all the fun you like...  Just don't let it kill you."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #661 on: July 10, 2009, 06:24:20 pm »

Brantley replied,"Whoa there, Tommy, before you get all high behind, look to the end and see if it works. I don't think we can turn this rig around from inside this egg, and once we're out of it, we're stuck in the cabin, unless we use the pressure suits."
Captain Brandsson
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #662 on: July 10, 2009, 06:28:02 pm »

I leaned over and nudged Abi.
"You still got the timepiece from when I dropped into the bar?  If so, can I see it?"
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #663 on: July 10, 2009, 06:29:35 pm »

I leaned over and nudged Abi.
"You still got the timepiece from when I dropped into the bar?  If so, can I see it?"

"It's been set into the controls of the ship, and we're not supposed to be messing with those, lest we get stuck out here in nothingness...."
OldProfessorBear
Zeppelin Overlord

Werebears RULE!

« Reply #664 on: July 10, 2009, 06:39:55 pm »

At a table back in a corner of the cabin, "Bertie" sat down and whispered to the Professor, who was engulfing coffee from a one-liter mug.

"Another one," he said. "Since we are outside of any gravitic frame of reference, this one at least must have been on board when we left Earth ... " and he handed the Professor this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Professor nodded resignedly. "I've been half expecting this ... "

Another Entirely Reasonable Opinion from
Bill P_______, Nul.D. (Unseen U.), F.R.S.*, Restorer of Old Photographs,
Sexagenarian Boy Genius and SUPREME NERD GOD!!! (score=98)
Down in the Belly of Brooklyn, NY, US
* http://forum.retrofuturist.org
Miss Cheshire Cat
Officer

« Reply #665 on: July 10, 2009, 08:57:48 pm »

Evie perked up when Gunn started yelling. When he said there was another way out, she became a deep red.

"I've had those all this time, and I have to admit that I've never read them. I was keeping them... I guess I was keeping them so people wouldn't think I was insane. I didn't know until after I had them that it was rather dangerous to keep them with me."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #666 on: July 10, 2009, 09:09:24 pm »

brantley decided to call the Baron anyway, just i case it was a viable plan...

he switched on the radio, a rather more-advanced model than the tube-ridden wireless the Beau Rosin was originally equipped with, found the Baron';s frequency, and thumbed the transceiver. "Beau Rosin to Claddaugh Thistle, Beau Rosin to Claddaugh  Thistle, do you read, over, crewmember requesting change of plan..."
OldProfessorBear
Zeppelin Overlord

Werebears RULE!

« Reply #667 on: July 10, 2009, 10:55:43 pm »

The Professor said, "So this colorful literature is indeed yours, as we first suspected, young Evie? What can you tell us about it?"

Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #668 on: July 10, 2009, 11:44:12 pm »

"Here's what's in this one," says Tommy. "It's th' one about you, Professor, th' "Adventures in Time 'n Space." He holds up the comic. "Th' whole story o' how we beat th' Martians is in here. Remember how th' Baron said we couldn't activate th' Time circuits with th' Super-Bomb on board? How the Time-Lords had ta change history 'cause the Baron tried ta go back in time, and th' few grams o' radium in his power pack had a matter-antimatter reaction that blew up th' whole district, an' that was what I saw in that vision? The Baron said that if th' Super-Bomb went off th'  same way, it would blow up th' whole Earth. Well, th' radium didn't explode when th' Baron phased out of time...it only blew up when he tried ta phase back in. The Martians might not be willing ta negotiate with us...but any creature alive will respond to a threat...a credible threat. We're gonna take th' Super-Bomb, hide it in a caldera..there are hundreds of 'em...and activate a Time-circuit around it, in an endless loop. That's gonna be hooked to a radio signal that we control, anything happens ta us, or th' Earth, and the signal stops, then th' Super-bomb comes outa th' loop, and when it phases back in.."PA-DOOM!"..th' whole planet o' Mars is blown ta smithereens. It still ain't gonna be easy..we gotta hide th' Bomb, and then we gotta fight our way inta th' Martian throne room, an' convince th' Martian King Squid hisself that we mean business..we're gonna force 'em ta make peace, an' leave th' Earth alone. It's a "checkmate" move...the Martians stay alive as a race, and th' Earth is protected from then on...as long as we control that signal, they don't dare attack us again, an' even if they find where we've hidden th' Bomb, they can't mess with it while it's outta phase, and if it comes back inta phase..like I said, "PA-DOOM!"
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 11:46:36 pm by Sgt.Major Thistlewaite » Logged
Miss Cheshire Cat
Officer

« Reply #669 on: July 11, 2009, 12:31:00 am »

"Sounds like a plan. It's strange enough to work, but fighting into the throne room might be interesting. I just can't imagine they allow their king to sit around all alone all day..."

She looked to the Professor and combed her fingers through her hair. "Yes, they are mine. They're one of the few books that were sold in my alternate universe," she smiled softly, looking towards the comic book that Gunn held. "I picked them up in the drugstore down the street from my alley. They're essentially propaganda, I believe. I didn't read them for that reason. I don't know if it does work though. I never grabbed the next issue, and I started jumping universes after I found them."
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #670 on: July 11, 2009, 02:05:06 am »

"I dunno...it is just a comic book, even if it's a comic from th' future, it might not be our future..." says Tommy, doubtfully..."But it ends good fer us...look at th' next ta last page..." he holds the book out so that the others can see it.

"As much as he hates th' Martians, my Uncle's gonna love it if this is what actually happens!"
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 07:53:44 am by Sgt.Major Thistlewaite » Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #671 on: July 11, 2009, 07:31:16 am »

Now, thyat's interesting, said brantley, "here we have these comic books. I wonder who te author is? does it mention the name of the cartoonist anywhere? And the idea of it being "propaganda"  -- I deduce that you mean subversive propaganda, from your usage of the term itself and teh word usage that surrounded it. am I correct? Who has the audacity to sell something like this in their drugstore, in such a repressive culture, that's what I'd like to know. The person must be a veritable revolution-era Benjamin Franklin type to pull something like that.
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #672 on: July 11, 2009, 07:58:43 am »

"Yeah...when ya get him on th' radio, MW...ask him if he's wearin' his old scarlet tunic over his pressure suit. If he says 'yes,' then I'm gonna think this is crazy enough ta work!" says Tommy.
Miss Cheshire Cat
Officer

« Reply #673 on: July 11, 2009, 04:07:21 pm »

"If the author was a revolutionary, he would've had a pseudonym. It would be brave, but unbelievably stupid to use one's real name. This might work though," Evie's whole face lit up. "Perhaps after this is over, we may find the person who wrote these."

Despite her world's faults, she was starting to feel rather homesick.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 09:38:57 pm by Miss Cheshire Cat » Logged
OldProfessorBear
Zeppelin Overlord

Werebears RULE!

« Reply #674 on: July 11, 2009, 08:05:14 pm »

The Professor, who had been thumbing through The Adventures of Cap'n Max, looked up and said, "There are credits here, in the small print: Publisher - Ben Franklin; Editor - Tom Paine; Artist - Paul Revere ... and so on. Mmm ... "
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... 36   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: