The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 22, 2019, 07:32:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... 36   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Extended Steam Salon  (Read 102589 times)
OldProfessorBear
Zeppelin Overlord
United States United States

Werebears RULE!

« Reply #625 on: July 06, 2009, 03:45:46 pm »

The Professor said, "Hmm ... I had the impression we would be encapsulated until we reached Mars. If not ... "

The half-hour chimed somewhere in the room. Seven and a half hours to go ...

He frowned, then said, "I need a few minutes to think this through. And I'm famished! Cap'n Max, what are you thinking?"

And they tucked into what they came to call the "last supper".
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 03:49:29 pm by OldProfessorBear » Logged

Another Entirely Reasonable Opinion from
Bill P_______, Nul.D. (Unseen U.), F.R.S.*, Restorer of Old Photographs,
Sexagenarian Boy Genius and SUPREME NERD GOD!!! (score=98)
Down in the Belly of Brooklyn, NY, US
* http://forum.retrofuturist.org
Miss Cheshire Cat
Officer

http://public4.tektek.org/img/av/0909/d06/2144/c7f

« Reply #626 on: July 06, 2009, 04:12:05 pm »

Evie sat down quietly. She was over the shock of decadence, and didn't gasp at the sight of so much food. It was a precious commodity where she came from, and it was often lived without in her old life. Even being homeless, no one threw away food.
She had learned to live without it for days on end, and as a consequence, she put a very small serving on her plate.

I apply my personality in a paste- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #627 on: July 06, 2009, 04:20:18 pm »

She took a bit of food, nerves making her less than hungry, despite the arduous day they'd had.

"We've got a lot of little details to sort out, if we're gonna do this right."

Action! Adventure! Possible Harlotry!
Abis do it for SCIENCE!
BrassGoggles 2012 Pin-Up Calander!
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #628 on: July 06, 2009, 04:30:21 pm »

Brantley decided not to mention the gateway he'd seen the martians and humans constructing down that side tunnel, just before Tommy had summoned him back to help them get to the Capn's individual timeline. with a large enough gateway, the space travel question would be moot -- but the only example of it that he knew of had been destroyed...

Sidebar: just a tidbit in case we can't figure out anything else when we get to mars; yes, Brantley did get down a side passage, and did see the enemy building something that he hoped he wasn't really seeing, but I didn't make it more specific than that, for just that reason...
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 02:02:41 am by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Captain Brandsson
Zeppelin Admiral

"We've done the impossible, that makes us mighty."

« Reply #629 on: July 06, 2009, 04:35:19 pm »

Sidebar: just a tidbit in case we can't figure out anything else when we get to mars; yes, Brantley did get down a side passge, and did see the enemy building something that he hoped he wasn't really seeing, but I didnt make it more specific than that, for just that reason...
That is actually similar to what I have in mind, honestly.  The room where I was harnessed was in sort of a "pocket".

- Maximilian
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #630 on: July 06, 2009, 04:47:51 pm »

Brantley decided not to mention the gateway he'd seen the martians and humans constructing down that side tunnel, just before Tommy had summoned him back to help them get to the Capn's individual timeline. with a large enough gateway, the space travel question would be moot -- but the only example of it that he knew of had been destroyed...

Sidebar: I really don't do such things to be sneaky or underhanded; its just that in my own writing i tend to forget about leaving an "out," so I tend to drop in little side bits whenever I think about it, in case I make some horrific error of plot.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 02:05:44 am by MWBailey » Logged
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #631 on: July 06, 2009, 04:53:46 pm »

The Baron reappears. He is dressed in his old scarlet Royal Horse Marines uniform. As he bustles in, he hands the white pith helmet to Willoughby. "Hmmmpph..yes, yes...I see Cook has outdone herself, ...I say, Tommy, pass me that platter of sardines, if you please..." he says, seating himself at the head of the table. "Now then, preparations are proceeding apace, bit ahead of schedule, actually." He forks up a mouthful of sardines, gnashes them with his titanium teeth, swallows, then continues. "Let me acquaint you with at least a brief outline of the War Plan. You will not be going in alone. No, indeed." His movements are rapid, animated, and there is a sparkle in his eyes. "In fact, Earth has just rotated around to the point that.." The silverware and glasses on the table rattle, and a tremor vibrates through the room. A vase tumbles from a shelf, which Willoughby deftly catches.
"Wait for it..," says the Baron, smiling. A stupendous *BOOOMMMMMM!!!* rumbles through the room. "Vibration travels faster through the rock, you see.." says Thistlewaite. "We have only the one Super-bomb, you know, and that must be delivered precisely, hence your mission..but we have a plenitude of conventional ordnance, and that is being fired as I speak, canistered  blockbusters, which will fall on the outskirts and outlying environs of the Martian capitol city. Another vibrating rattle shakes the house, followed a moment later by another *BOOOMMMM!!!!* "Every two minutes, from now until your ship is fired tomorrow morning, and continuing afterwards, as well. They shall see us coming...oh yes, indeed they shall, but you shall be but one target amidst thousands. The bombardment of the outlying districts is calculated to drive all the Royals into the Palace Grounds...get all the rats into one trap, you see...and, with any luck, the Super-Bomb should take them all out in one fell swoop!" He puts another fork full of sardines in his mouth, and washes it down with a gulp of champagne. "Three transports, about the same size as the Beau Rosin, will be fired just prior to your shot..they will be full of United States and Royal Marines, who will engage the ground troops of the Martians, and hopefully occupy the full attention of the Royals controlling them. I shall be in the first transport..I wouldn't miss this for the world..hmmm.ah...ha ha...or for two worlds, as the case may be!" He stands, and raises the champagne glass, "To Earth! And to Victory!," he toasts, punctuated by another rattle, and then another *BOOOOOMMMMMM!!!*
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 05:22:13 pm by Sgt.Major Thistlewaite » Logged

Yet well thy soul hath brooked the turning tide, with that innate, untaught philosophy,Which, be it wisdom, coldness, or deep pride, is gall and wormwood to an enemy.
fireheart storm
Zeppelin Captain

Monster hunter, researcher, & cyberjacques's rival

« Reply #632 on: July 06, 2009, 05:47:08 pm »

Ms storm was eating quietly, her mind going over the past few hours.  She felt as if she had been on a turbulent airplane ride and was glad for the food.  She jumped when the loud sounds started, looking completely in awe.

The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #633 on: July 06, 2009, 06:40:29 pm »

The tremors weren't doing anything to settle her nerves. She'd hoped to cathc a nap before they launched, but she didn't see that being ap ossibility now. Hopefully she could use the nervous build-up to their advantage.

"Baron, perhaps i'm misremembering, but wasn't it said that we'd break loose of the Egg before we hit Mars? What's being done to protect us and the Beau Rosin on the return trip? And are there construction materials going out on the other transports? I trust your planning on this, sir, but I do worry. I might have done pulled some outrageous stunts in my time, but this one certainly takes the cake."
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #634 on: July 06, 2009, 09:00:02 pm »

"My dear Mrs. Cross, your questions are excellent, and I fear the answers that I am able to give you may not suffice to fully allay your concerns," The Baron answers. He hands his plate to Willoughby, and says, "I'll have some of that calamari, if you please, old chap...now then, Mrs. Cross, I'll tell you what I can. The "egg" surrounding your ship is indeed sacrificial, actually composed of several nested shells, like a Russian toy, yes...as you hit the upper levels of the Martian atmosphere, the outermost of these will open much like a flower, with petals hinged around the central perimeter. These will provide a braking effect, and then that shell will burn off, scattering the pieces. Each successive shell will do the same, until the last one burns away in the lower atmosphere, at which point you will have slowed sufficiently for the motors of the Beau Rosin to take over. The added benefit will be that all the canisters we have fired are similarly encased, so, as you get closer to the martian guns, they will have not just thousands of targets, but tens of thousands, most of which are only debris from the eggs. Dr. Einstein and I had an extensive conversation just a while ago, and we have decided that any attempt to move backwards in time on the Red Planet is too fraught with risk..once the Martians are dead, we must insure that they stay dead..taking the risk of having the construction crew discovered, captured, and made to 'spill the beans,' shall we say, could conceivably undo all we've accomplished. Therefore, alternative methods are being discussed, among these are the possibility of adapting the Martian's own technology, and the interesting possibility that, Mars being a volcanic planet, there are several calderas which may have lava tubes pointing more or less in the proper direction, which, with minimal engineering, could be made to serve as return guns. As regards constructing an egg for the return encasement, that should be no problem, assuming of course that we win...there will be plenty of Martian scrap around which can be melted down and reformed..their metals technology is nearly identical to our own. Of course, should we fail to carry the day, then the point is moot. I will add also, that all of the ordnance which is being expended has been launched in a manner known as 'time on target'...the ones fired first are on longer trajectories than the ones fired later, so that all of the bombs, transports, and the Beau Rosin should arrive over the capitol at virtually the same time...you folks on the Beau Rosin, and we in the transports will use our capacity to maneuver to hang back a bit, and let the blockbusters do their work." He chews a mouthful of calamari, and takes a sip of champagne."Then, you will head for your mission at the Palace, and we shall land and engage the Martian defenders. Shortly after we shoot the egg containing the Beau Rosin, the Earth will rotate out of firing range, and, by the time it rotates back around 12 hours later, it will be too late to fire any more shells and have them arrive at the time of the attack. The voyage through interplanetary space will take just over a week, and the personnel here will wait for radio contact as to whether we have won, or failed. If we win, then the personnel here at the Iron Furnace will begin firing construction crews and materials. That is pretty much where we are as of this moment...now, eat, my dear, eat...you are far too lovely to waste away!" There is a twinkle in his eye. "Uncle," says Tommy, "Stop flirtin' with my girl!" Everyone laughs, some of the tension ebbing a bit. The shaking and the BOOOOMMMS! have continued throughout the conversation, but, oddly, the assembled company is already growing used to them.

Sidebar: Thanks to Robert Heinlein for the innovative atmospheric insertion method, which was used in his novel 'Starship Troopers,' but completely ignored in the movie of a few years ago.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 09:13:26 pm by Sgt.Major Thistlewaite » Logged
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #635 on: July 06, 2009, 09:16:44 pm »

sidebar: I think we can always give Heinlein thanks for *something* hehehe

Abiliegh smiled and playfully nudged Tommy before planting a little kiss on his cheek. "Oh, Baron, don't mind him. You can flirt all you'd like, so long as you know I'm bound to flirt back." But she took a bite of food obediently.
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #636 on: July 07, 2009, 06:12:32 am »

"Uncle T," says Tommy, "There's somethin' I been meanin' ta tell ya...that ray-gun ya put on board for me ta test..it's still got a few bugs in it." Thistlewaite querys, "How so, lad?" Tommy answers, "Well, I fired it twice..it's plenty powerful, as far as that goes, obliterated a whole ship with each shot..but th' electric charge that built up liked ta killed me." The Baron smacks his forehead with the heel of his hand. "Of course..static build-up! On a test stand, it's grounded..I'm sorry, Tommy, I certainly should have thought of that!" "Well," says Gunn, "It would be mighty useful if ya could fix that so it was safe." The Baron thinks a moment, then moves to the telephone. He dials, then speaks, "Thistlewaite here...While you are modifying the Beau Rosin, build copper grounding receptacles into the deck, spaced every three feet along the rail, one foot from the gunwale. Then take the largest of the pressure suits, the one with the name patch of 'Gunn,' and put a grounding strap, with a bayonet plug attached to the right boot, up the outside of the right leg, up the side, and along the underside of the right arm, with a grounding attachment at the cuff on about six inches of extra wire. Use a #3 grounding plug. How are the rest of the modifications coming along? Good..good..electric lifting motors installed and tested? Good. Thistlewaite out." He hangs up. "Right then, Tommy. The next time you fire it from the deck, just make sure you are standing where you can push the bayonet plug on your boot into one of the copper sockets in the deck, and you should not have that problem any more. Dreadfully sorry, lad..it really could have killed you. An oversight..hope I haven't overlooked anything else...I get in too much of a hurry sometimes, and miss the little things that should be obvious." " It's OK, Uncle...if we hadn't had it, those other ships would have had us outgunned for sure, and it didn't quite kill me. Glad ta know it was an easy fix..we may just need that thing."
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #637 on: July 07, 2009, 06:38:55 pm »

Dinner went on amicably, everyone in the group doing their best to act like they weren't facing the possible end of the world.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #638 on: July 08, 2009, 05:40:09 am »

Brantley finished his repast, complimented the chef, and then when his plate was cleared away, took his handkerchief out of his coat pocket, and them took out the Mauser and field-stripped it, making sure that all metal moving parts received a drop or two of oil from a watch oiler that he pulled out of anoither pocket. HE then reassembled it in record time, holstered it, and pulled out his "blaster," (actually a generic name for a very uncommon gun, as adjustable and versatile as it was powerful)disassembled it, and made sure all power connections were not corroded, and all mirrors and optical crystrals were clean an dspotless, and that the variuous power-collection units were primed to gather power as quickly as possible. These things done, he relaxed, and let his mind unwind, and fell to the floor. one of the ladies gasped "Oh my God!" and Tommy asked where he';d gone, and another Lady just laughed and laughed... he grasped the leg and seat of his former chair, dragged himself up out of the floor, and said, "well that's what I get for drinkin' before supper..."
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #639 on: July 08, 2009, 03:00:12 pm »

Tommy finishes his dinner. It was a little startling when Brantley disappeared briefly..then everyone laughed when it became apparent that he'd actually fallen through the floor. Gunn's own thoughts are somber...this is a huge undertaking, and everything depends on a lot of things going right. He's also concerned about the argument between his Great-Uncle and Max Brandsson. They both feel strongly about their position, and Tommy thinks Brandsson gave in a little too easily. Mrs. Cross obviously thinks a lot of the man, and it looks as though he's coming along for the ride...but Tommy decides he's going to keep a close eye on the Captain. "Who knows?," he says to himself, "Mebbe those guys did somethin' to his brain..they had him for quite a while..hate ta have this mission fall apart because we've got a saboteur on board with us. When th' time comes ta drop th' big bomb, I'm gonna make sure I'm right at Brandsson's elbow."

0600 the next morning,having gotten as much rest as they were able , the intrepid group is secured in their individual acceleration chairs, the Beau Rosin in its protective egg is lowered into the massive rock-hewn barrel of the mega-gun. All are in their pressure suits, and they do not have much freedom of movement, but Tommy manages to turn his head enough to see Mrs, Cross, and finds her gazing back at him. He grins, weakly, and gives her a "Thumbs up." The display forward of them counts backwards in flashing red numbers...5....4....3....2....1....Noise, pure awesome noise, fills the world, and Tommy feels as though a giant hand is at his back, pushing with indescribable force, a feeling which seems to last forever, but in reality is only about ninety seconds. Then the pressure eases, replaced by a feeling of lightness. Enclosed in the egg, they cannot see it, but the Beau Rosin is in space. The voyage has begun.
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #640 on: July 08, 2009, 04:22:15 pm »

Take off was interesting, to say the least. She wished, as she was pressed forcefully into the seat, that she could be holding Tommy's hand. As they got further and further from the earth, she began to feel like something had turned off inside her. The extra senses she'd been gifted with were weakening, held in place only by few people on the Beau Rosin.

She'd never felt blind like this before, and it was shockingly disconcerting.
Miss Cheshire Cat
Officer

http://public4.tektek.org/img/av/0909/d06/2144/c7f

« Reply #641 on: July 08, 2009, 04:57:29 pm »

Evie laughed nervously, her arms wrapped in a death-grip around her bag. She had never been off the several different versions of the planet she had seen, and she could safely say that she didn't like it much at all. Flying put her a little out of sorts, but space travel was even worse. She felt out of place, and trapped. She couldn't use her clock at all, and that worried her a little.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #642 on: July 08, 2009, 08:59:37 pm »

After the incident with the chair and the floor, Brantley was doubly on his guard and concentrating, keeping his body from phasing through things. in a gravity-influenced environment, he was ok as long as he didn't get too drunk or distracted; even then, he usually only partially phased through anything (for some reason, he never phased through anything while asleep; he always managed to stay on top of the bed and under the sheets, except for that one time back in Tijuana...but that was when Professor Reich's gravitometric destabilizer malfunctioned (or rather, functioned altogether too well) when he , Brantley, was off-shift and taking a nap after a short wingding with the physicists from Bangkok...

Brantley, just on a whim, stuck his hand through the back of his chair, just to see if he still could. Hmp! he thought, I suppose I'll retain that; but I'm having trouble seeing beyond the next few seconds, and I cant imagine what I did with my ring...he felt his pockets and found that the ring was in his left font pants pocket. Well, so much for more than low-level finding, he thought, but then found that he could make his psionic talents function in a manner approaching normalcy if he concentrated on them.I wonder if we'll gain any new talents when we land...
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #643 on: July 08, 2009, 09:26:23 pm »

She was having trouble focusing. She could sense Brantley from his seat, a sudden flare of psionic activity, she could sense Tommy, stalwart and protected by his non-belief, and inbetween those extremes, her other companions, curious, worried, and brave.

But that wasn't unusual. The vastness beyong them, however...

And then, she felt the barest flicker of... of soemthing... something meant just for her.

It sounded like a sigh, a soft exhale... but she could have sworn it breathed her name.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #644 on: July 09, 2009, 03:02:10 am »

*Bink* *Bink* *Bink* *Bink* *Bink*... a bell sounded a few minutes later, and a green light on a row of light-up windows just below the counter flashed out the message "Safe" , but also flashed "Do Not Touch Controls" in amber-pink at the other end of the row. brantley unstrapped himself, got up, and poked aound un the rear of teh cabin, which had been remodeled to accommodate an actual gunner's cockpit and the wickedest rear-pointing deck gun Brantley had ever seen; it looked like a giant, long-barrelled Schofield revolver, except the "cylinder" had eighteen chambers, and a magazine such as one would find on a gatling gun, but three or four times larger by dimension -- that and it had no giant hammer or trigger where they would have been on the actual sidearm. He whistled; "Boy Howdy, now that's a big pistol!" he exclaimed.

MW continued to poke around and finally found what he had been searching for; his own crate of murderous little flash-and-fire grenades, and another sample-sized bottles of whiskey, but without wrapping of any kind, presumably so that one could tell the two apart. MW grabbed three of the wrapped bottles and put them into various pockets.there were also crates filled with bandoliers of ammunition; several heavy-bladed cutlasses and carbines of the old SMLE pattern, complet with liong-bladed, scabbarded dagger bayonets. It looked as if there was enough of everything for everybody.
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #645 on: July 09, 2009, 03:37:39 am »

When the green light comes on, Tommy unclamps the helmet of his pressure suit, and pushes it back. Overhead, the silvery coloured inner surface of the 'egg' curves to the bow, attached to the Beau Rosin by struts. Unzipping the front of his pressure suit, he rummages in his coverall pockets and extracts a cigarette. There is air inside the egg, and, on deck at least, smoking is OK. A week. The Baron said the travel time to Mars would be just over a week. That they are in space is evident by the lack of gravity. The boots of the pressure suits are magnetic, and there is enough metal in the deck and frame of the ship to keep 'up' up, and 'down' down, but the feeling of weightlessness is noticeable. Mrs. Cross is unbuckling herself from her acceleration chair, and Tommy watches her with interest. Zero gravity is kind to the human female physique...very kind. He finds himself wishing that the close quarters of the Beau Rosin provided more privacy. He sighs, and lights the cigarette. "Hey, doll...," he says, "Yer lookin' good...bein' a spacegal agrees with ya..." He grins, and offers her a smoke.
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #646 on: July 09, 2009, 04:40:13 am »

She takes the smoke, offering Tommy a small, private smile. Standing in near weightlessness, she felt years younger, and she guessed she looked it too.

But she didn't take long to relish in that, needing something far more even than the cigarette. She kissed Tommy hard, using his sturdyness to ground herself, to keep herself centered on the Beau Rosin, to keep herself from hearing that gentle seductive voice.

"Did your uncle send us with anythin' to keep us occupied for the week?"
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #647 on: July 09, 2009, 07:01:25 am »

"Miss Evie? it doesn't take a scientist or a mind-reader to see that you're a bit ill at ease," Brantley said sympathetically to the young lady. He hated seeing a frown on such a pretty face.
"Is there something i can do to make this trip less irritating for you? Perhaps a cup of tea or something? We don't want to burn up our oxygen supply with an open flame, but the Baron  seems to have provided a battery-powered kettle, so hot water doesn't appear to be a problem."
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #648 on: July 09, 2009, 06:35:51 pm »

She headed over to a small trunk Tommy pointed out, which held a few games and some playing cards. Hearing Brantley talk about tea, she started busying herself about the small cooking area, figuring breakfast, tea and coffee wouldn't go amiss. She wanted to keep herself busy.

She sang softly to herself while cooking. Singing always kept her spirits high. "Memphis in june...
A shade veranda under sunday blue sky..."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #649 on: July 09, 2009, 11:01:15 pm »

Brantley didnt know teh tune or the words, but he hummed along anyway. after a fewminutes he rummaged in his steamer trunk and found his old wooden flute, picked up in England in the 1890s after the first debacle with Jack Pulcifer. he played the tune Mrs. Cross had sung, and then an odd, bouncy little piece, singing the words in his head as he played...

Well, I can hearthat old piano,
from down the avenue.
I can smell them ol' pine trees,'
I look around for you.

Just that sweet, sweet ol' someone
that I use dto know
It's Saturday, an'
the band is playin,'
Honey, could you ask for more....

he played a couple more verses, ane then asked, half-jokingly, if anybody had a request...
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... 36   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: