The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 20, 2019, 08:41:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... 36   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Extended Steam Salon  (Read 96234 times)
Captain Brandsson
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

"We've done the impossible, that makes us mighty."

« Reply #600 on: July 05, 2009, 05:13:05 pm »

"So...  Wait..." Maybe I was still disoriented, "Are you actually planning on going to Mars and wiping them out?"

- Maximilian
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #601 on: July 05, 2009, 06:44:09 pm »

The Baron nods, his face grim. "Yes..the previous two incursions we have fought off here, on Earth, without ever carrying the fight to them. The Martians have shown they are implacable..total conquest is all they will accept, and we shall all of us be either slaves or food..there is no middle ground, there can be no peace between us...we must eradicate them, wipe them out to the very last being, thoroughly scourge the Red Planet, and end the Martian threat once and for all. There is no other way. It's them, or us."

Yet well thy soul hath brooked the turning tide, with that innate, untaught philosophy,Which, be it wisdom, coldness, or deep pride, is gall and wormwood to an enemy.
Captain Brandsson
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #602 on: July 05, 2009, 06:45:54 pm »

"I can't accept that.  We do that then we become them."
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #603 on: July 05, 2009, 07:11:57 pm »

Thistlewaite responds, " Your noble sentiments do you justice, Sir, but I must disagree...they attacked us..twice now..and their aim is to eradicate us, or breed us as a food source. They are merciless. I, for one, cannot accept humanity in slavery, bred for food for soulless creatures. It is wipe them out, or accept the consequences. It does not reduce us to their level...we would have been perfectly willing to leave them in peace, they on their planet, and we on ours..but they won't let it be that way. They mean to destroy us, enslave us, eat us...I shall die first, before I allow that to happen. Better a dead lion than a live pig."
Captain Brandsson
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #604 on: July 05, 2009, 07:26:20 pm »

"So, the plan is to beat them to it and make ourselves into soulless creatures?"  This was insane. "Yeah.  They attacked us.  Twice.  We fought them back.  Twice.  I got to help us do it the last time.  And they had help, too, or did you forget about that?  Is Germany on your 'defensive genocide list'?  Italy?  Japan?  How about Kansas?  I found a traitor, there, too.  Better safe then sorry, yeah?"
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #605 on: July 05, 2009, 07:43:08 pm »

"I wish it could be otherwise, Sir..but they are different creatures than we are..they are a 'hive-mind' organism. We must kill the Royals, and, without the Royals, the rest will die. It is their biology. I fought in both the Martian Wars, Tommy here fought in the last one, and I must point out that all Germans, Italians, and Japanese did not embrace the idea of Martian masters...only their corrupt leaders did, believing that they themselves would be spared if they handed over the rest of humanity. And, to answer your second question, yes, a most emphatic yes, I believe that any human who would betray his own kind, such as the despicable Lipschitz, should be stood up against a wall and shot."
Tommy pipes up, and growls, "So..what..we all risked our lives to save a..Martian lover? Whose side are ya on, Captain?" The Baron says, "Now, now, lad, nothing so harsh as all that..the Captain has a good point..but I do not believe that defending ourselves is risking our souls..human values apply only to human kind. The Martians are altogether alien..I fear, Captain Brandsson, that they would not be so kind-hearted towards you as you are willing to be towards them..I should think you'd already had ample demonstration of that."
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 07:52:09 pm by Sgt.Major Thistlewaite » Logged
Captain Brandsson
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #606 on: July 05, 2009, 07:48:20 pm »

"I fear, Captain Brandsson, that they would not be so kind-hearted towards you as you are willing to be towards them..I should think you'd already had ample demonstration of that."
"So you think a creature that could do to me what was done can't be reasoned with?  Doesn't deserve to live?"
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #607 on: July 05, 2009, 08:11:16 pm »

"Exactly, Sir!" The Baron nods. "You have hit the nail on the head. They cannot be reasoned with, no more so than a pig can expect the butcher to be reasoned with...they regard us as nothing more than animals, to be slaughtered for their sustenance. One does not reason with a pig, and they feel no need to reason with us. As regards 'deserving' to live...who can say? Beyond our own will to live, do any of us 'deserve' life? An interesting philosophical problem, Sir, but with all of humanity at risk, and time being of the essence, one which I very much think we do not have the luxury of contemplating. I quite understand if you do not care to participate..as I have said, no one will be thought less of should they choose not to go on what very likely may be a suicide mission, and in any case has no guarantee of success. If you have a better plan, Sir, than by all means, let us hear it...otherwise, we shoot, " the Baron consults his watch, "in eight and one half hours.  After that, the planets will not be correctly aligned, and we will have lost our one chance to save the Earth. Given more time, perhaps our researchers could come up with a way of successfully shielding the planet from the depredations of the Martians...but that we do not have. It is now, or never. Victory, or death."
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 02:07:13 am by Sgt.Major Thistlewaite » Logged
Captain Brandsson
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #608 on: July 05, 2009, 08:31:18 pm »

"Humans did to me every wound you saw.  Humans killed me. Humans brought me back to do it again.  Not brainwashed not coereced.  Just greedy and oprotunistic like each of us at one time or another.  The Martians can't even live on our planet, not for long.  They'll get the hint, eventually, and until they do we'll bash 'em back.  Everytime."
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #609 on: July 05, 2009, 08:56:10 pm »

"At what cost, Sir? How many more thousands of human lives? For that matter, how many more thousands of Martian lives...not that they are anything more than 'cannon fodder' in the minds of their own Royals."
Thistlewaite shakes his head. "We have a chance to end this, once and for all. Otherwise, we shall have to do it over and over again, every ten or twenty years. They will not 'get the idea'...they will never relent..'Live and let live' is not a concept of which they can conceive. Did you not kill Martians during the last War, Captain? To save your own life, and the lives of your comrades in arms? The Third War of the Worlds has begun, Sir! The humans who did this to you are no better than vermin, Captain, vermin which we will get around to exterminating. And no, Sir, all people are not 'greedy and opportunistic at one time or another'....some are noble, brave, and self-sacrificing, putting the greater good ahead of even their own survival..such as these," he indicates the assembled company with a wave of his hand, "who risked their lives to rescue you, a man who most of them do not even know..all they knew was that there was a human being, held in captivity by the lackeys of the Martians, a man important to one of their companions, Mrs. Cross...that was enough. There was nothing in it for them, no profit, no self-interest, and yet they willingly threw themselves into harm's way. No, Sir, your estimation of the worth of the human spirit is woefully lacking."
Captain Brandsson
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #610 on: July 05, 2009, 09:47:44 pm »

"No, Sir, your estimation of the worth of the human spirit is woefully lacking."
"And yours is turned inside out.  'Genocide' is the human spirit, now? 'Do unto others before they do unto you'?  We do this and there will be no human spirit to debate.  There has to be a better plan than that."
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #611 on: July 05, 2009, 10:20:00 pm »

"Genocide, Sir, is a term which would properly be applied to describe humans killing humans...not to the extermination of monsters. Should they prevail, after they have extracted all they can from the human population, they will strip mine this planet, and transport everything of worth back to Mars, eventually leaving the Earth nothing more than a lifeless rock orbiting the Sun. Think what you will, Captain Brandsson...I certainly do not need your approval to carry this through. I have already been in communication with the President of the United States, and Her Majesty the Queen of England, and they are both in full support of this plan of action. Our two nations suffered enough in the last two invasions..we shall not tolerate a third." He checks his watch. "Eight hours. I have much to attend to..Willoughby will see to any needs you have. Good night, all, for now." And with that, the Baron turns and exits.
Tommy speaks up. "Try not ta judge th' old man too harshly. He was born in 1839, went ta sea as a powder monkey on one o' Her Majesty's warships at th' age o' ten, served Queen an' Country until around th' turn o' th' century, when he got cashiered, some political flap havin' ta do with th' Boxer Rebellion, then came here an' built this place. He's a warrior..war is all he knows. He's doin' what he thinks is right, an' once he gets somethin' in his head, he's mighty hard ta convince of anythin' otherwise. Killin' all th' Martians seems extreme...but that's th' way he sees it."
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 01:08:50 am by Sgt.Major Thistlewaite » Logged
Miss Cheshire Cat
Officer

http://public4.tektek.org/img/av/0909/d06/2144/c7f

« Reply #612 on: July 05, 2009, 11:41:54 pm »

"I know it's bad, but there's really no better plan. Someone's going to die either way..." Evie trailed off. It was a good point, but she couldn't see any other way. If the war was allowed to happen, humans would die, martians would die, and no one would be better off. She walked across the room somewhat dejected.

"Willoughby, I was told someone could make me a holster for that gun... if you could kindly show me the way?"

I apply my personality in a paste- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #613 on: July 06, 2009, 12:12:25 am »

"I shall have one of the crafters from the leather shop come up here to the house, Ma'am. Holsters for that model are already produced, so it's just a matter of choosing where you wish to wear it, and fitting the straps." He crosses the room to a telephone, speaks for a few moments, and then says, "Just a few moments, Ma'am, and the man will be here. Does anyone else need anything at this time? I shall have Cook prepare a supper, which should only take a little while." Tommy lights a cigarette, and says, "Another bottle o' this bourbon might be a good idea, Willoughby...this one's almost done for..." Willoughby nods, and departs. Tommy says, "Personally, I don't have a problem with killin' Martians, or people workin' for 'em, either..I blew two whole ships of 'em ta atoms yesterday, an' I ain't gonna lose a wink o' sleep over it." He shrugs. "I lost some pretty good buddies ta those squids in th' last war...they hate us, we hate them...what's th' problem? What ya gonna do, keep a few of 'em ta put in a zoo or somethin'?" He blows a smoke ring, then continues, "It don't really matter what we think about it anyhow..if it ain't us and th' Beau Rosin, th' Baron will just send one of his own transports, with a crew o' US an' Royal Marines. If I had my druthers, I'd stay here an' hunt down Lipschitz...I don't even like flyin'...much less flyin' through space."
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 12:43:50 am by Sgt.Major Thistlewaite » Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #614 on: July 06, 2009, 03:34:57 am »

Brantley spoke up."Cap'n, I can understand your horror at the prospect of wipng out an entire race, or even just their royal family, but consider the alternative: we stay here, do probably the wrong thing for about the hundredredth time, and then mankind has to start all overn' a different universe. No thanks, from my end. I've been doin' this for more years than I feel like remembering, now, and quite frankly, I'm ready to end it.

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #615 on: July 06, 2009, 03:52:49 am »

sidebar: I, for one, like seeing this story turn away from "If you've got a hammer, every problem becomes a nail." It was something I had noted a while back, and it was starting to get a bit old. So, I'm glad we're letting this happen "the hard way." I do hope we can keep this worked out. I agree with no writing out what's already been established. It gives us all challenges as writers, and it keeps it interesting. I, for one, certainly didn't expect to find us fighting off world destruction!

Mrs Cross had been quiet while the men argued. She saw both sides of the argument, and perhaps it made her a bad person, but she was ready to go off and destroy the Martians. She'd seen too much "unfinished business" come back and bite her recently to think in any other manner.

"Max..." she spoke softly. "I know it's not the ideal solution. But it's still a good one. You know as well as the next fella what happens when a job is left half done. I mean, even Larry came back..." She paused, realizing he didn't know what had happened. "That's a long story for later, but the short of it's that he's a clockwork now, or will be, and he's gotten incredibly powerful. I'm lucky to be alive right now, t'be honest..." She smiled at Tommy then, the moment of her attention full of thankfulness. "We've got to do this, Brandsson. We've just got to. And I need you there. No one works together so well as we do."

Action! Adventure! Possible Harlotry!
Abis do it for SCIENCE!
BrassGoggles 2012 Pin-Up Calander!
Captain Brandsson
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #616 on: July 06, 2009, 03:54:49 am »

I grunted, hoping she still knew what that meant.
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #617 on: July 06, 2009, 04:39:09 am »

Abiliegh smiled, one of those rare smiles that lit up all of her face, taking years off. She threw her arms around him, until he winced, which, honestly, didn't take long, as he was still recovering from being nearly dead all day.

Backing up a bit, she actually managed to look a bit sheepish. "Sorry, dear. Thank you. I know it's hard, but you wont regret it." She tried to sound somber and professional, but a bit of joy shined through.

She poured two drinks, bringing one to him, then offered him a cigarette before lighting one for herself.

"So it's settled. I wish there was another way, but it's time for us to be heroes." She lifted her drink a bit, a toast to the aether. Her voice dropped to almost inaudible levels. "To humanity. May we save it."
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #618 on: July 06, 2009, 06:42:43 am »

Just in the nick of time, Willoughby returns with a fresh bottle of bourbon...Tommy takes it, uncorks it, and tops off his glass, which he then raises in return to Abiliegh's toast, "To Humanity!" Willoughby says, quietly, "Hear, hear!" Willoughby has been with the Baron since 1912. Even Tommy doesn't know the whole reason behind Thistlewaite's vehement hatred of the Martians..but Willoughby does. In 1898, during the first Martian incursion, Thistlewaite was in Hong Kong when the tripods destroyed London. At the time, he was just Sgt. Major Thistlewaite, of Her Majesty's Royal Horse Marines. His young wife and infant son were living with his wife's mother, in London...the entire block of flats was reduced to cinders by the Martian ray weapon. Thistlewaite never remarried, and vowed then and there that someday, somehow, he would erase the Martians from the Solar System. It is why he built the Iron Furnace.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #619 on: July 06, 2009, 07:31:25 am »

Brantley had edged ove rbehind teh bar, and found a conveniently-placed bottle of olive oil, and then the bottle of Medusa, adn had prepared the shot of Medusa in the proper manner.

At Abileigh's Toast, he shouted , "Hear! hear!" and knocked the shot back such that it went directly into his throat, and he clamped his mouth shut, and didn't breathe the whole time it went down.

He then belched, the chemicals and the phosphorus gas from the shot reacting with the air in front of his face, and causing a jet of flame to shoot four feet out in friont of him. luckily, Mrs. Cross and the Cap'n had moved away by then...

"Now, thats a good batch o' Medusa!"  he announced.

Sidebar: The "Medusa" liquorcomes from the novel I never finished nor had published and which basically ate my mind; it's an alcoholic liquor beverage with teh unique quality of a chemical reaction that occurs when the liquid is exposed to an oxygenated atmosphere; in short, it produces, in much the same way that carbonated beverages put off carbon dioxide, several different gases, and chemicals in gaseous suspension, which basically flare up in the epresence of oxygen. The olive oil serves as a covering liquid to keep the liquor from coming into contact with air until and while it is being drunk. (a pipe-like spout with a valve on the bottle being used as teh means by which to decant the lkiquid into teh glass below the oil.

I admit it is somewhat childish, and i'll remove it if necessary.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 07:41:58 am by MWBailey » Logged
OldProfessorBear
Zeppelin Overlord

Werebears RULE!

« Reply #620 on: July 06, 2009, 08:49:21 am »

"Bertie" then spoke up. "Very well," he said, "the acceleration won't kill us after all, and I assume the Baron has tested his shock-absorbing mechanism; I was deeply concerned about that. Knowing Thistlewaite's predilection for guns, I feared it had turned into a mania. But I see my worries were groundless. I hope."

The Professor then said, "We still cannot depend on nullology to work the same way on Mars, if at all. Like time travel, it is bound by the gravitometric forces of the locale. Which brings up another complication: even were we able to conceal the tunnel building for the Mars gun, I am rather skeptical as to our ability to time travel there with any sort of precision. Our equipment is, necessarily, solely calibrated for the Terran framework. As I am sure you all remember, the process of doing that calibration took decades before we had any real control over it -- just ask 'Bertie'. So either we are bound for a long stay on the red planet, under I cannot quite imagine what conditions, or we must think of some other way of getting back here and implement it -- in less than eight hours. Naturally, the prospect of not aging does appeal to me, especially, but ...

"There are two small possibilities that I can see: for one, the Martians may have already done our work for us. They launched their cylinders here somehow, and there is just a chance we can use their technology to get back. The other fact that occurs to me is that a gun to re-launch us from Mars need not be as large and powerful as the one that will send us there, as the gravity is substantially less. That would mean that the construction could proceed much more rapidly, and a smaller gun would take less time to build in any case."

He ruminated for a moment, while downing yet another mug of the Baron's excellent coffee -- better even than Mrs Cross's, though he didn't mention that -- and said, amost to himself, "Yes, their technology ... we have seen so few examples of what it can do ... it might even provide a better solution. 'Bertie'? What do we know about that? I am certain that a great deal of it has been commandeered by -- the unnameable powers that be -- but I suspect you may know more about it than even they do ... or ... "

Another Entirely Reasonable Opinion from
Bill P_______, Nul.D. (Unseen U.), F.R.S.*, Restorer of Old Photographs,
Sexagenarian Boy Genius and SUPREME NERD GOD!!! (score=98)
Down in the Belly of Brooklyn, NY, US
* http://forum.retrofuturist.org
OldProfessorBear
Zeppelin Overlord

Werebears RULE!

« Reply #621 on: July 06, 2009, 10:07:19 am »

"Bertie" replied, "Well, of course we have no way of knowing what they have on their own planet; obviously only the most portable of their technology has been sent to Earth. Still, indications are that we should be able to comprehend it and turn it to our own uses. Despite their very different physiology, and especially their socio-psychology -- more like terrestrial insects than anything else we know of -- they would seem to be not as far advanced compared to humanity as we once thought. The individual Martian, in fact, is a very stupid creature. It is only the hive mentality, controlled by what we call the royals, that gives them their edge over us. You might look upon the entire race of Martians as a single body under the control of the few individuals that constitute its brain, and you would not be far off."

The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #622 on: July 06, 2009, 03:29:42 pm »

"Even if we use one of their guns to return, aren't we going to be shedding the egg once we hit space? Seems to me that just popping the Beau Rosin into a Martian cannon without the protection we're going to have heading there is a monumentally terrible idea. Also, should we come across a distinct lack of natural resources, what are we do to? Brantley's boat, amazing as it has been, barely has space for the lot of us, we cannot expect to carry materials as well..."

Captain Brandsson
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #623 on: July 06, 2009, 03:34:43 pm »

I gave into the madness, at least for now.
"There might be another way...  But we may not be able to make it work for us."
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #624 on: July 06, 2009, 03:39:54 pm »

"Ladies and Gentlemen," Willoughby announces, "Dinner is served. Please follow me, the dining room is on the first floor. You may, of course, bring your drinks. In light of the unusual circumstances, we shant be worrying about formalities such as dressing for dinner, tonight." The group gathers themselves, and follows the majordomo down the staircase, around, and into the spacious formal dining room. As they seat themselves, Willoughby says, with a flicker of a smile, "I think you will find something here to your taste, there is beef, squab, and fish...and the Baron requested that Cook prepare something special, in honor of the momentous occasion," Willoughby leans forward, and removes the domed cover from a large silver dish,
"Calamari."
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 09:01:49 pm by Sgt.Major Thistlewaite » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... 36   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: