The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 14, 2019, 05:53:06 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... 36   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Extended Steam Salon  (Read 100954 times)
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #575 on: July 03, 2009, 08:30:55 pm »

Brantley mulled the questions over; while he was thinking about how to respond, the Doctor showed up and gave his report. after the odd fellow left ('Odd' being a relative term; Brantley was acutely aware of the fact that many saw him thus, as well). "Don't Worry, Tommy, I haven't forgotten your questions," he said, when it appeared the fellow was about to prompt him again.

"As for how I knew Mad Jack would be here ten minutes before he arrived, I brought  him here fifty years from now," Brantley said. "Now, before you start in asking a bunch more questions, let me explain something about Temporal Historic Causality (thats my term for it; some academic someplace is probably going to tear his hair out if he hears about it) What I'm talking about is the fact that nothing is necessarily set in stone.There are all kinds of different universes out there, and all kinds of parallel historic threads. I'm absolutely positive, for example, that there's an alternate universe where the you and me and whoever else are gettin' creamed by the Martians right now. There's probably another where the martians all die out in a massive meteor storm billions of years before humans evolve, but this is the universe we're bound to. Well, that most of us are bound to at any rate. You remember what Evie said, though, right? Apparently it's possible to pass from one universe to another. I'd love to see what's different about her clock. When I stand near it, I can feel myself standing in five places at once. a really odd feeling, and no, I don't think I'm falling for her. He chuckled at his attempt at humor.

This is a real sensation external to most of my body, but the Martian organs are responding to it as well. Anyway, I brought him here fifty years from now. except that I did that in about nineteen...oh, about thirty-eight. so, ten years go, I went to fifty years in the future from this point where we are now, only to find out I had to go back to the late 1890s to get jack and bring him forward to 1948, so he could get a weapon to defeat the martians the first time. Sorry, but that weapon won't do the trick this time; the martians have developed an immunity.Which I share, by the way.

That brings us to your second question: Yes, I am sure that the transmitter has been removed, and there are no other mechanical transmitters in my body, unless... well, I do have a rather peculiar physiology...
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 08:46:26 pm by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #576 on: July 03, 2009, 08:44:43 pm »

Willoughby is returning to the Library, and as he passes the bedroom where the injured man is resting, a voice calls out, "What year is it?" He answers,"1948, Sir," his voice calm. The room is darkened, and Brandsson squints to make out the shape silhouetted in the doorway. "Who're you?" rasps Brandsson. "Willoughby, Sir. Please calm yourself, Sir, and lie back ...you've been badly injured, and really should not exert yourself. Your wounds have been treated, and you are in a safe place..indeed, I can assure you, there is none safer."

Meanwhile, in the upstairs drawing room, Dr. Einstein is talking to the Professor.
"Zere ist einem fliege..umm..Zere is a fly in der ointment mit der Baron'z planz...Zo, azzuming zat you maken der Martian Royalz tot..dead...und alle der Martians ist kaput, ja? Zen transport der verke crew fur der "mega-gun" construction..der return trip, ja?" The Professor nods." Zo, you zen go back in Martian time-space ten years, ja? Zo dat construction ist aczellerated, und you can return, mitout schpending ten years on Marz?" The Professor says, "That's correct, Sir." Dr. Einstein continues, "Vell, you go back ten jahre..ummm. years, und *poof* Red Planet ist nicht a safe place to build...Mars ist full of living Martians, ja? Challenge fur you, Herr Professor..you must use your knowledge of "nullology" to hide a mazzive conztruction project from a planet full of hoztile Martians. Zis you can do?"
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 09:02:41 pm by Sgt.Major Thistlewaite » Logged

Yet well thy soul hath brooked the turning tide, with that innate, untaught philosophy,Which, be it wisdom, coldness, or deep pride, is gall and wormwood to an enemy.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #577 on: July 03, 2009, 09:12:01 pm »

In the Library, Brantley was  finishing up answering Tommy's questions, and though he dreaded the outcome, he'd decided to make a clean breast of things, which was proving to be the basis for a somewhat complicated story...

"You see, gentlemen, this is not the only universe in which the people of Earth are fighting the Martians and the consortium. two of them have already fallen despite my, or our, best efforts. I know what mistakes have been made, will be made, could be made. Some are unavoidable. Some need not happen at all, and will only happen if something really stupid occurs (But you'd be appalled by how many major historic events were caused by unutterably stupid accidents). Other mistakes and mishaps are undoubtedly in the offing; mankind is a creature who lives his mistakes, and indeed, would be quite lost without them."

He paused for a moment, sipping a sarsaparilla in the bottle, something he hadn't tasted for (by his own private experiential timeline) nearly ten years. He quaffed a bit more, then continued.

"As for why 'they' seem to know beforehand every move we make, well, many of these things that we have done are unavoidable and must be done so that other things can be done after them, and they also know that. Thus, they try to stop us at those points. A few more are coming up, but this 'bomb the martian Royals' biz is a new wrinkle that I had not thought of before. Will it work? Will it fail? I honestly do not know."

He waited to see what effect his explanations would have.
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #578 on: July 03, 2009, 09:24:52 pm »

She spoke carefully. "So, two have failed... How many more have not? Are we the last?"

Action! Adventure! Possible Harlotry!
Abis do it for SCIENCE!
BrassGoggles 2012 Pin-Up Calander!
Captain Brandsson
Zeppelin Admiral

"We've done the impossible, that makes us mighty."

« Reply #579 on: July 03, 2009, 09:37:48 pm »

"...you are in a safe place..indeed, I can assure you, there is none safer."
"I'll be the judge of that." I growled getting out of bed. "And somebody get me some clothes."

- Maximilian
fireheart storm
Zeppelin Captain

Monster hunter, researcher, & cyberjacques's rival

« Reply #580 on: July 03, 2009, 11:51:15 pm »

Ms Storm walked into the library, holding the journal in her hands, "You all might want a look at this," she said offering it to any one who would take it, open once more to.

Catalog of malicious beings from the occult in nature to extra terrestrial

A journal by Mr Storm, with contribution from Ms Cross, T.E., Brantley, Miss Evie and several others.
"I wrote it with your help, twenty years from now, and left it for myself a hundred years ago,  I've read it but thought maybe there are some things in here I may not get, that you may get out of it.  There's extensive sections on the life on Mars,"  She said, "Which of course means I'm going, how can I write a journal I'm not there for?" she said grinning.  "There are notes in there that aren't my handwriting, so I'm assuming it's one of you.  Just be careful, it's old,"  She seemed to have a new confidence about herself.   "What ever our course of action, even if this is from some other time line, it could be helpful,"

Miss Cheshire Cat
Officer

http://public4.tektek.org/img/av/0909/d06/2144/c7f

« Reply #581 on: July 03, 2009, 11:55:54 pm »

Evie pulled out her clock. She brushed across many of the dials, looking at their different labels. Time, Space, Universe, Dimension... She knew these dials well, and never felt quite right without that clock. Her father had said something about that, traveling universes was trying on the body, and without this clock, she figured that she would waste away, dying fifty years before her time.

Traveling through dimensions and universes was not the same as traveling through time. Her father taught her through her entire childhood. Her mother had cards, cards that could show a person their dreams, and fears, and future. Evie had those cards in her pocket, and she pulled a few out. The picture changed as she looked at it, swirling into an image of a casket, thrown carelessly into a shallow hole.

Her mother made money with these cards, as an underground fortune teller. As she saw more people die from the hands of the government in their near future, her parents protested. People were shot, and more people disappeared. Her father picked up a few secrets, a machine that could travel through most anything. He began work on the clock Evie was holding in this strange world, and her whole family disappeared a few months later.

She stood up, and walked back to the library, putting away her curious items.

I apply my personality in a paste- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #582 on: July 04, 2009, 02:15:30 am »

Willoughby indicates a suit of clothes on a hanger, on the back of a ladderback chair. "It was easy enough to take measurements, while the Doctor worked on you, Sir..I really recommend that you rest, though..you have no idea how very nearly dead you were. And, again, I assure you, this place is safe. You are a guest of the estate of Baron Luxborough, the Right Honourable Thomas Elihue Thistlewaite..yes, Sir, that Thistlewaite, the arms manufacturer. Not for nothing did the Baron choose this location, built into the solid stone of a cliff face of the oldest rock on Earth, above the oldest river on Earth. Should the combined forces of America, Great Britain, and the countries of Europe decide for some reason to move against this place, they would try, and they would fail, Sir, losing the greater part of their armies in the attempt. However, I shant attempt to forcibly restrain you..if you insist on arising, your companions are in the Library."
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 03:10:13 am by Sgt.Major Thistlewaite » Logged
Captain Brandsson
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #583 on: July 04, 2009, 03:04:05 am »

"...you have no idea how very nearly dead you were."
"You have no idea..." I muttered.
I stood slowly and painfully and dressed slowly and painfully.
"The library, huh?  Which way?"
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #584 on: July 04, 2009, 03:14:04 am »

Sidebar: Thank you, Captain Brandsson! Grin I have always wanted to be able to write a scene in which the butler said this--

"Walk this way, Sir."
Miss Cheshire Cat
Officer

« Reply #585 on: July 04, 2009, 03:22:37 am »

Evie entered the library, and took a place next to the rest of the group. She looked to the other people, and sighed.

"Not that I'm complaining, but what troubles I've found on the other side of the Looking-glass..." She chuckled to herself about her reference, and then wondered if they even had such stories here.
Captain Brandsson
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #586 on: July 04, 2009, 03:28:25 am »

Sidebar: Thank you, Captain Brandsson! Grin I have always wanted to be able to write a scene in which the butler said this--

"Walk this way, Sir."
Sidebar: Glad to help

I followed my guide and joined the group. 
I felt like a week or ten in the hospital bed would do me some good, but I wasn't about to let the others know that.
OldProfessorBear
Zeppelin Overlord

Werebears RULE!

« Reply #587 on: July 04, 2009, 03:36:48 am »

Meanwhile, in the upstairs drawing room, Dr. Einstein is talking to the Professor.
"Zere ist einem fliege..umm..Zere is a fly in der ointment mit der Baron'z planz...Zo, azzuming zat you maken der Martian Royalz tot..dead...und alle der Martians ist kaput, ja? Zen transport der verke crew fur der "mega-gun" construction..der return trip, ja?" The Professor nods." Zo, you zen go back in Martian time-space ten years, ja? Zo dat construction ist aczellerated, und you can return, mitout schpending ten years on Marz?" The Professor says, "That's correct, Sir." Dr. Einstein continues, "Vell, you go back ten jahre..ummm. years, und *poof* Red Planet ist nicht a safe place to build...Mars ist full of living Martians, ja? Challenge fur you, Herr Professor..you must use your knowledge of "nullology" to hide a mazzive conztruction project from a planet full of hoztile Martians. Zis you can do?"

The Professor thought for a few moments, turned to "Bertie", and said, "I'm not at all sure about that. Between the two of us 'Bertie' and I could, with some reinforcements, manage that here on Earth. Yes?"

"Bertie" nodded. "Well, yes, I do believe so, Professor. But we are talking about a vastly different environment. As you know," and he looked at Einstein, "and you probably did not, but are about to ... I actually know a great deal about Mars and the Martians. That's one of the reasons the Professor appealed to me for help, another being my firsthand knowledge of the science of time travel." He removed his smoked glasses for the first time, and saw that Dr. Einstein did, indeed, recognize him. "I didn't just make that stuff up, you know, though I did tone it down quite a bit for public consumption. Had to support myself somehow, and had to get the word out somehow, without having it censored by ... certain powers that be, shall we say."

Dr. Einstein nodded encouragingly.

"That was all a long time ago," the Professor said, "and perhaps not entirely in this same reality. It's very difficult to tell these days, since there have been certain breaches between what is and what is not. For example, what happened in 1938, ten years ago by our present reckoning, affected some realities more than others, and in different ways. Just as some of us will become comic-book characters in young Evie's reality eleven or twelve years from now, certain events of ten years past might only have taken place in a comic book or, say, a radio drama, or even not at all, in other versions of reality. But 'Bertie' here is the greatest resource we could have, and if he has doubts about the plan, then I'd say its probability of succeeding is minimal. So let's  see if we can't come up with something better."
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 03:40:17 am by OldProfessorBear » Logged

Another Entirely Reasonable Opinion from
Bill P_______, Nul.D. (Unseen U.), F.R.S.*, Restorer of Old Photographs,
Sexagenarian Boy Genius and SUPREME NERD GOD!!! (score=98)
Down in the Belly of Brooklyn, NY, US
* http://forum.retrofuturist.org
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #588 on: July 04, 2009, 09:46:40 pm »

"Mrs. Cross, there have have been several hundered that have not failed, but only about five have left time and history in a survivable state." he took a breath and let it out, an dplunged on, "One thing I do know for certain is that rockets are out of the question; they can be seen approaching, from the Martian side; over two hundred Time Machine assaults have worked but left universal causality in such a sorry state that humanity fantasized themselves into extinction (that is, the changes in spacetime made everyone so completely disassociated from reality that they basically starved away, dreaming of how they would have saved the planet if it had been them), or history was changed to such an extent that it became a mass of unsurvivable paradoxes.

Brantley abrubtly had one of those sudden inspirations; the kind of split-second thoughht in which everything becomes crystal-clear.

""Miss Evie, may I see that clock of yours?" Brantley asked quietly. "I think it may be a better way of defeating the enemy, and getting us back here, than using a huge cannon...."

Brantley turned a couple of knobs and made the machine operate without actually going anywhere. or more exactly staying in synch with the current timeline and planetary-vs.-universal motion. he realized, from the way his guts felt (literally, a gut feeling) that what he held in his hands was not exactly the same as the STTA-5,  Or the Chronojumper, but it worked similarly, and would thus be unusable with the explosive device.

"I beg your pardon, Miss Evie, but I was mistaken. I would love to be able to use your device; it would make things easier, but the simple fact is that the energies thus released would be unavoidably fatal to the device, and us as well, when it detonated prematurely."
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 03:37:50 am by MWBailey » Logged
OldProfessorBear
Zeppelin Overlord

Werebears RULE!

« Reply #589 on: July 04, 2009, 11:17:28 pm »

The three scientists returned to the library. "Bertie" said to the others in the room, "It won't work, you know. The cannon and all that. The Martian environment is very different from Earth's, and we are agreed that there is no way we can conceal the construction of a gun up there for ten years. There's also the problem of raw materials, and a hundred other things that would make it impossible. We've talked this through, and our conclusion is inescapable. Furthermore, firing us from the Earth-based gun will ensure that we will all be reduced to a thin coating of jelly in less than a second. I don't see how we could be of any use in that condition."

Dr. Einstein and the Professor nodded in agreement. "We must find another way to do this," said the Professor.

"Jawohl," said Einstein.
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #590 on: July 05, 2009, 01:32:05 am »

Sidebar: Now wait just a doggone minute! I've put up with every ridiculous thing everybody's come up with so far, and written it in to my part of the story..you can't just decide to unwrite what I've written..if Thistlewaite says the gun will work, the gun will work....he is after all the Earth's greatest expert on firearms, (and that was also Jules Verne's method for getting to the moon, which is why I wanted to use it.) And what of the 100 men who have just given up 10 years of their lives to build it? It's a hole in the ground... What is there so different about Mars that they cannot dig a hole in the ground? The problem of the "G' Forces squashing them I have already thought of, and had a solution to....a giant shock absorber between the ship and the powder charge in the barrel of the gun. I thought of and introduced the problem of building the gun on Mars...then you use that to "poo-poo" everything else I've written? You cannot use a time or dimensional machine, or any other Deus et Machina "device" to get there, and you cannot transport the "super-bomb" by any other method than physically moving it. That has been established. I never unwrote the Liner over London, or the comic books, or the monsters, or anything else. When Brandsson dropped in with a load of fish, I went with it...when Brantley crashed the Beau Rosin through the skylight of Lippy's warehouse, I went with it...I have changed the plot I had in mind a half a dozen times to accommodate what the previous poster has written. Part of the fun of this is taking what the previous writer has written and going forward with it...not going backward and basically saying "Well, just erase all that, and do it this way". Ya'll play fair, or I will rapidly lose interest in this, and the next line I write will be-"Tommy goes crazy and machine-guns everyone to death, then shoots himself. The End."
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 04:37:31 am by Sgt.Major Thistlewaite » Logged
Captain Brandsson
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #591 on: July 05, 2009, 01:53:27 am »

There is a reason I have kept things either short and to the point or personal. Cheesy
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #592 on: July 05, 2009, 02:28:43 am »

Sidebar: Understand that I'm not trying to be harsh..MWBailey established the idea of going to Mars quite some time back..I just wanted to write a "nuts and bolts" approach to how to get there. Using "magic" or a "device" that can instantly solve all your problems (Deus et Machina) is to me "lazy writing"...it's why the writers of Doctor Who took away his "sonic screwdriver" for awhile...it made things too easy if he had a tool which could be applied as the solution to every foreseeable problem. It's why the writers of Superman had to invent Kryptonite...he was just too invincible otherwise. The "how" of getting to Mars isn't really all that important, anyway, just so long as they get there...I only thought of the problem of getting back without spending ten years there later (while I was in bed, later, about to go to sleep..Facepalm.. Wink ) I'm just trying to "keep it real," and keep it interesting. If I were reading a science fiction novel where every time the hero were faced with a situation, he simply pulled a previously unmentioned "special gun" out of his pocket and instantly solved his problem, I would say "Well, this is crap." and stop reading.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #593 on: July 05, 2009, 03:17:53 am »

Sidebar: I'm just going with the flow. I have no desire to overwrite or un-write anything. If a post of mine doesn't match up, tell me and I'll delete it, or I'll find a way to add to it or refer to it that negates its negative qualities.

And Sgt. Major does have a point...
Kittybriton
Zeppelin Captain

Steampunk: absinthe-minded professors!

« Reply #594 on: July 05, 2009, 03:35:22 am »

Sidebar
An interested observer writes:
Is there not some way that an ingenious scientist with an interest in biochemistry, bioengineering and applied biology could protect the occupants of the cannon-shell from the stresses of sudden acceleration? Is there any way in which practical nullology could avoid the aforementioned stresses?

Join me in exploring the music of time!
(http://kittybriton.multiply.com/journal
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #595 on: July 05, 2009, 04:00:49 am »

Sidebar: Brantley would probably be able to stand such a case of extreme accelleration (he has Martian organs (referred to 'way earlier when he worried about a physical examination just before the Doctor examined him the first time)mixed with human ones. I confess I came up with the two-heart transplant and the inserted tracking device on the spot, but the dual hearts was in keeping with the idea of rapid accelleration that would have been experienced by the Martians when they were blasted from their home planet, and it served equally well as the explanation of how he can wall-walk without ripping his body to shreds (the "flames" mentioned in the first couple of chapters of the original Welles edition of WOTW were referred to as possibly from cannons, if I remember correctly . I tried to write the wall-walking such that it would be next to useless in certain situations, and perhaps hilariously embarrassing in others (like going to the restroom and letting his concentration slip and plummeting from the upstairs washroom back down into teh Library or teh reception hall...) Cheesy
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #596 on: July 05, 2009, 04:26:33 am »

Sidebar: Acceleration already dealt with...shock absorber between ship and charge. If another method of getting them back can be come up with, I'm all for it...having the Professor conceal the work was the best I could come up with...Mars is a big place, and a 100 foot diameter hole in the ground wouldn't be all that hard to hide..considering people have hidden escape tunnels out of prison camps from the guards while they were building them for months in real life. My objection to using time travel to move between worlds is exactly what I had "Dr. Einstein" state, and one of the biggest fallacies in every time travel story ever written, including Wells's....the Earth is not in the same place relative to the rest of space over time..it orbits the sun, and the Universe itself is expanding, so our whole Galaxy is moving. If a 'real' time machine were invented, if you went backwards or forwards so much as a day only in time, you wouldn't be on Earth anymore, you'd be somewhere in space.
Unless you had the aforementioned 'gravitometric forces' which kept even time bound to the planet you were on. Therefore, technology from Gallifrey excepted, a time machine cannot be used to move from planet to planet. Oh, and MW, I appreciate the edit, and the addition to your previous post. I had a feeling you were going to use Evie's device to move us, and I'm just getting leery of the Deus et Machina all-purpose "devices", as I mentioned.
On top of everything else, Einstein works for Thistlewaite...the gun was his idea..he wouldn't then just turn around and say "Oh, wait, that won't work." As far as rockets go, there were none in 1948 which could have even come close to being up to the task, rocketry was in its infancy.

p.s. I had to go back and edit my own sidebar-had my Wells and Verne mixed up..Earth to Moon by cannon was Verne..I originally said Wells..duh! Tongue  See, I really do care...
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 04:24:30 am by Sgt.Major Thistlewaite » Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #597 on: July 05, 2009, 05:07:15 am »

Yet Another Sidebar:This may solve the problem, and I keep wanting to brain myself for not remembering it earlier. There's a type of "supergun" that was being built as far back as, I believe, WWII, by the germans, but Berlin fell or something like that occurred before it could be brought to operational status; I'm talking about the kind of which they found partially-finished remains of in Iraq after Desert Storm. Remember that thing? Not one simple charge, but several, spaced and precisely timed all along the length of the tube; thus, accelleration could conceivably be relatively eventual and survivable, and still be powerful enough to propel the capsule with sufficient force.(i.e., via successively-stronger charges). I'm offering this up as a source of compromisebetween two camps

As for getting them back, a possible solution might be to use
1. those "motors' that thistlewaite mentioned
2. an eruption of olympus mons.
3. the paint from First Men In The Moon, the movie version
 4. EM propulsion system powered by either the diesel engine (a la the "gaussjammers -- by whoever came up with teh Ensign Flandry series--Poul Anderson?), or some other means of power generation...
the nullological idea is intriguing, and original, or so it seems to me...
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 05:20:29 am by MWBailey » Logged
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #598 on: July 05, 2009, 05:31:30 am »

Back to the story...

Thistlewaite, having concluded his business with Mad Jack, re-enters the Library, where the scientists express their concerns. "Hmmm..yes, I see the problem with hiding the construction on Mars..hadn't thought of that, honestly, can't kill off the Martians, then go back in time on their planet and expect them to be dead ten years previous to our having eradicated them..Blast! Getting there via the mega-gun will work, however..the acceleration problem has been taken into consideration, and a compensating shock absorber will be placed in the bore betwixt the 'egg' containing the Beau Rosin and the powder charge which will propel it..naturally, the shock absorber will also be fired from the barrel, but has been designed with braking fins which will open automatically as it leaves the barrel..it will fall harmlessly into the Atlantic..getting back, however, if building another gun on Mars cannot be accomplished by going back in time, will be problematic. The stakes are so high, though, that if it means that you intrepid folks shall then be stranded for ten years, hmmm..well, so be it..after all, the fate of the Earth hangs in the balance. It may not be much consolation, but I can offer this..the same Oriental potions which have prevented me from aging I can make available to all of you. You may be stuck for ten years, but you will not age ten years...you will not age at all. I do not offer this lightly..it is one of my most closely guarded secrets, but, as I said, the stakes are high, and your bravery deserves reward.
However, if you can come up with an alternate method of return, that would of course be preferable. You have.." he consults the gold watch, "nine hours and fifteen minutes before we are ready to shoot."
Miss Cheshire Cat
Officer

« Reply #599 on: July 05, 2009, 04:57:45 pm »

Evie looked down at her clock after Brantley handed it back and sighed.

"I've never tried to travel to other planets, but I wouldn't imagine it would work to well. The way this works, it travels really fast through time and space. That's why my universe jumping is actually a little dangerous. See, traveling through different times, it just covers years and years in five seconds. Some of the universes are actually separate, and traveling between those would essentially rip one apart. The few I've traveled between seem parallel enough that I can travel between them. I think that's because of the existence of small things like the comics."

"Traveling between planets may suffocate the person or people, or may drive them insane by the sheer space and time jumped. I wouldn't suggest my device. It does have a few kinks. I wouldn't survive for more than 10 years here without it."
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... 36   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: