The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 17, 2019, 06:40:37 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... 36   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Extended Steam Salon  (Read 101269 times)
fireheart storm
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Monster hunter, researcher, & cyberjacques's rival

« Reply #550 on: July 03, 2009, 02:48:28 am »

Ms Storm looked down her eyes flicking back and forth "I-I need some time to consider, do I have it?" she asked, "And if I do, how long do I have?" she gripped the box the conflict showing clearly on her face and in her eyes. 

Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #551 on: July 03, 2009, 03:06:44 am »

Thistlewaite pulls out the ornate pocket watch, and flips it open. "Probably 12 hours...I've diverted all the resources of The Iron Furnace to this endeavour, still, it's going to take a bit of time..got customers who're somewhat upset that I've put their projects on hold, nevertheless, can't be helped...Willoughby!" "Yes,Sir?" "Mr. Brantley informs me we are to receive another guest...call down to the main gate and tell them to admit him, name's Pulcifer." "Yes, Sir." To Brantley, the Baron says, "Jack Pulcifer, eh? Lord, I should have thought that miscreant dead some time ago..must be old as dirt by now..hmm, yes, be good to see the old fellow again..Hmmm..yes..."

Yet well thy soul hath brooked the turning tide, with that innate, untaught philosophy,Which, be it wisdom, coldness, or deep pride, is gall and wormwood to an enemy.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #552 on: July 03, 2009, 03:59:47 am »

about twenty minutes later, a man came striding in , just ahead of Willoughby, who was attempting to slow him down and take his coat. the coat was one of those of a type generally called a "greatcoat," and was a deep royal blue, with silver piping on all of teh hems and a twisted-crown rope around the neck on a high, folded-over collar that echoed Brantley's own.teh coat wa sone of teh "hidden back-and-breast variety that held two layers of mail (one of chain, one of scale)under the outer layers of cloth, on both the front and back, in a shape that generally followed that of a standard 18th-century waistcoat.

The type had been adopted by the Marauder Mercenary Company some 160 years before, and was still being produced for them by some Eastern personal-armor company. Poking out from under the coat on the left side was a model 1846 US Cavalry saber, and tucked into the yellow sash at the man's waist was a Model 1896 Mauser self-loading pistol. Black uniform pants with a gold stripe down the outer seam of teh leg, tucked into knee-high cavalry boots, and a huge-brimmed, gray, flat-brimmed hat completed the uniform, and the mans overall gray hair, beard, and moustache made him look like the American cavalry had come to visit.

"BRANTLEY!" Brantley froze, the whiskey decanter in one hand and an ice-filled tumbler in the other. "Oh,its you Jack, didn't recognize you. Where did you get that Marauder coat? You do realize they still don't allow anybody but their own to wear 'em, don't you?

"I happen to be a marauder, if you remember. Just because the Beau Rosin wasn't named yet back then don't mean she wasn't commissioned... Baron Thistlewaite! good to see you agin, old feller!  Brantley! he pulled the Mauser out of his sash, and suddenly everybody in the room either dove for cover or pulled iron, causing Mad Jack to stare around the room at how many guns had suddenly appeared in so many hands. "Lordy, MW, you got a lotta friends here tonight." he said, then chuckled. "I just wanted to give you back your gun, Brantley, that's all. Now, everybody, lets just all put our hardware away..."
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 05:28:16 am by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #553 on: July 03, 2009, 04:23:23 am »

The .45 caliber double derringer which had a second earlier been a quarter inch from the base of Pulcifer's skull silently retracts on its well-oiled slide back up into Willoughby's right sleeve. The majordomo appears quite mild, but he is in fact a well trained but unassuming bodyguard to the Baron. Without missing a beat, the "gentleman's gentleman" inquires smoothly, "Would you care for a drink, Sir?"
fireheart storm
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #554 on: July 03, 2009, 04:58:24 am »

Ms Storm had pulled her revolver before her head caught up with what was going on, but managed not to pull the trigger.  She slowly put it back, trembling slightly.  She needed to talk to some one about this.  It was a big thing for her, what should she do?  What could she do?
Miss Cheshire Cat
Officer

http://public4.tektek.org/img/av/0909/d06/2144/c7f

« Reply #555 on: July 03, 2009, 05:12:19 am »

Evie quietly watched as the whole room pointed guns at the newcomer.

"Gee, all of you definitely know how to welcome people, don't you?"

She just realised she was absolutely filthy, her clothes all covered in dust and grime. She really didn't want to sit down in the nicely furnished room, and noticed that her chair was already rather dirty. She sat down, grimacing slightly at the thought of such fine upholstery being dirtied. She stared at the newcomer curiously, certain that she had seen him someplace, but unable to recall the location.

I apply my personality in a paste- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #556 on: July 03, 2009, 05:19:27 am »

She settled back to her seat, having put the gun borrowed from Tommy away. She noticed Ms Storm and Evie looking uncomfortable. And Ms Storm needed to talk to someone. She didn't need to be a psion to recognize that.

"Gentlemen, I think it might be best if we let you discuss what needs discussing, I think it might do us gals more good to get a bath and clean out our clothes..." She smiled playfully, a shadow of the bartendress showing. "We do get uncomfortable when looking so terribly frightful. Might we ask that bit of indulgence of you, Baron?"

Action! Adventure! Possible Harlotry!
Abis do it for SCIENCE!
BrassGoggles 2012 Pin-Up Calander!
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #557 on: July 03, 2009, 05:31:16 am »

Sidebar:Ms. Storm, I'll make Pulcifer leave pretty quick. if you'd prefer he didn't recognize Your character, i wont have him do so.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 05:46:50 am by MWBailey » Logged
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #558 on: July 03, 2009, 05:51:54 am »

Thistlewaite smiles graciously. "Of course, dear Lady. You will of course all have rooms with baths..please forgive me for wanting to discuss 'business' first, but men..especially men of war, are not as mindful of some things as perhaps we should be." Tommy addresses Evie. "What we know how to do, Evie, is stay alive," says Tommy drily, "and keep each other alive." His Colt had remained in its holster..not only had he been expecting Pulcifer, and figured it was him from Brantley's description, but when the Mauser came out, he had noticed that the safety was on. Having been a cop for nineteen years, and a professional detective for another ten, he'd developed a heightened sense of such things. Besides, the hammer wasn't back..a Mauser is a single-action as far as the first shot is concerned, after that the slide cocks the hammer. Can't expect everybody to know these things. "Evie, if you're going ta go on this mission, you'd better get yourself a firearm, and get comfortable with it..it just so happens that yer sitting in the house of one of the most pre-eminent arms manufacturers on this planet..my Great-Uncle, Thomas Elihue Thistlewaite..." He points. "Th' Baron, there. That wrench you carry might be good enough ta keep ya from gettin' mugged, but it ain't gonna cut it fer killin' Martians..and other vermin, like humans that'd turn against their own kind. Like Lawrence L. Lipschitz."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #559 on: July 03, 2009, 06:10:23 am »

HEre ya go, Miss Evie, Brantley said, handing her the Model 1898 Mauser that he had gotten from Baron Thistlewaite; a newer model which had a better-quality firing pin that didn't get bent and stuck and make the gun go full-automatic in mid-grouping.HE also handed her roughly one half of his Mauser ammunition, 100 rounds, all but 50 on stripper clips. he showed her how to Load and unload it, and produced a maintenance guide form the depths of one of his coat pockets, which showed how to field-strip the weapon for cleaning, and included a cleaning rod. If you'll talk to the Baron, I'd bet he can offer you a variety of belts and holster rigs for it," Brantley said.
fireheart storm
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #560 on: July 03, 2009, 06:15:44 am »

Sidebar:Ms. Storm, I'll make Pulcifer leave pretty quick. if you'd prefer he didn't recognize Your character, i wont have him do so.
Sidebar:  It's up to you really, it may make for somethign interesting if he does, but "Mr" Storm is about to beat a real quick exit

Ms storm stood, "if all of you will pardon me, I have some heavy thinking to do," She kept her head tilted down, and hoped her  imitation of a mans voice held up  She didn't mind most people present knowing about her dual life, she wasn't sure if she trusted Pulcifer.  She turned on heal and strode out, waiting outside the door for Ms Cross and Miss Evie
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #561 on: July 03, 2009, 07:24:57 am »

The Baron tells MW, "Please realize, Sir, that I acquired that weapon from its manufacturer, it was not produced here at the Furnace. I do not manufacture an automatic sidearm, as I have yet to come up with a completely reliable design. I make the finest revolvers the world has ever known, but, until and unless I can create a semi-automatic pistol that absolutely can be guaranteed to never jam, I cannot in good faith
produce one. Tommy likes his Colt..but I have known them to stovepipe occasionally." "It ain't happened yet." says Tommy laconically." Hmmmph...well, nephew, I hope it never does ...especially at a critical moment." The Baron addresses Evie, "The leather goods department can easily create a holster for that one, though, Miss Evie, and our haberdashery can provide you with durable clothing suitable for this enterprise..we may not be able to custom fit a pressure suit for you, however, but should be able to find one which fits well enough for you to use.
The Baron then turns to Jack Pulcifer. "Now then, Mr. Pulcifer, what brings you to visit at this time? Surely not mere coincidence..eh,wot? Long way from Texas, Sir, yes indeed. So..cat got your tongue, Jack?" There is a twinkle in Thistlewaite's eye.. Mad Jack is someone he has known for more than fifty years..those are getting more rare as time goes by.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #562 on: July 03, 2009, 07:34:15 am »

Well, Milord baron, there's this question I've been mulling over; see, we are having cylinder falls in England, and I understand you may have a weapon that will eradicate the occupants of these cylinders...
Their voices dissipated as they walked out in to the hallway and to a different room.

After a while, Mad Jack asked to  be shown  the way out, claiming to have big doings back in the 19th century, something about "Mr. Welles' War."as he and Willoughby walked to the front door of the house, he glanced into a different room than that which the men occupied, and saw that girl again...she looked so familiar, and then the other one, the one who didn't look as if she belonged anywhere in particular; he remembered that there was something about her that was important, but dash it all if he could remember what it was.

H Ewas halfway back to 1895 when he finally remembered where he'd seen Ms. Storm, and that the the other girls name was "Evie," and that she  and Ms. Storm had been in that harbor-side bar that night as well...
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #563 on: July 03, 2009, 03:14:25 pm »

She draped an arm around Evie's shoulders as Pulsifer and the Baron headed off into the other room. "Lets get you cleaned up, dearie." She put a quick kiss on Tommy's cheek as they passed towards the door. "Willoughby, I'm certain I can find my way. We were just here, after all." Her voice was light.

Ms Storm was outside the door, waiting. She led the three up to the hall of bedrooms they'd stayed in the night prior, and showed Evie to the one Athena had been using. No sense putting her down at the end... she thought, when there is a prefectly free one right here in the middle. She's a sweet gal, but I fee like she may still need a bit of watching...

"Evie, I'll run down and get you some garments. Your bath is through there, love." She gave her a quick sizing with her eyes and hands, and sent her on her way.

"Walk with me, Ms Storm?" She said when they were alone, taking a step back down the hall. "It seems to me you've got soemthin' you want t'discuss..."
Miss Cheshire Cat
Officer

« Reply #564 on: July 03, 2009, 03:31:29 pm »

Evie went into the room, and her jaw dropped. The room was absolutely beautiful and there was a steaming bath towards the back. She walked through the room, picking up random items and setting them back down.

She got to the bath, and realised it was absolutely huge. She put a foot in, and it was just the right temperature. She got in and sighed. Even just being water, she felt a little cleaner. She took a breath and completely submerged herself in the water.

After hearing someone else in the room, she scrambled out of the tub and pulled a fluffy robe on. Her disgusting clothes had been taken away, leaving her nothing to cover her legs. She pulled a towel around her waist, making a makeshift skirt that covered her legs. She strolled into the other room and picked up the gun she left laying on the dresser. Evie ran her hand down it, and made note of all the different parts. She hadn't touched an actual gun in years, and hadn't planned to for a very long while.
fireheart storm
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #565 on: July 03, 2009, 04:00:29 pm »

Ms Storm followed Miss Evie and Ms Cross to Miss Evie's room, and waited outside pulling out the small leather bound journal she had gotten.  When Ms Cross stepped out into the hall and asked her to walk, she followed one hand in her pocket, the other clutching the journal. Her eyes where glued to the floor.
"I don't know what to do." she blurted out looking at Ms Cross, "I don't know if I should stay or go, I feel like I should do both,"
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #566 on: July 03, 2009, 04:26:35 pm »

Ms Storm followed Miss Evie and Ms Cross to Miss Evie's room, and waited outside pulling out the small leather bound journal she had gotten.  When Ms Cross stepped out into the hall and asked her to walk, she followed one hand in her pocket, the other clutching the journal. Her eyes where glued to the floor.
"I don't know what to do." she blurted out looking at Ms Cross, "I don't know if I should stay or go, I feel like I should do both,"

"It's not a decision any of us can make for you." She murmured softly. "I had make it too, though. I had to weigh my options. Fight Larry or fight the Martians." They found the habadashery, picked out some clothes for Evie, and Mrs Cross grabbed a simple dress for herself as well. No sense not having a change of clothes.

"For me, I realized there was others who could fight Larry, assumin' I can't get back to do it m'self, and that I've gotta trust 'em to do it. No one else can fight the martians. We could go on without you, but I, for one, would regret not having you around." Her voice turned apologetic. "I know that doesn't make it any easier..."

She glanced at the journal Ms Storm was carrying as they began the walk back to their rooms. She thought it best not to inquire about it. If the woman wanted her to know what was in it, she would tell.
fireheart storm
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #567 on: July 03, 2009, 04:45:57 pm »

Ms Storm looked out the window, her face blank, but her hands trembled slightly, she said, "I just feel so... out of my element.  Here, there are plenty of things I can help with, things that go bump in the night.  That's what I deal with, that's what I'm good at.  Part of me wants to go, to say yes with little thought.  But what is my usefulness there versus here? " she looked down at the journal.

"This is the kind of thing I've wanted to do with my life for forever.  But now my heart is torn, I know I can help all of you."  she flipped through the journal, stopping on a sketch of "A martian?" she gasped.  She stopped in the hall and closed the journal flipping to the front and the title page read.
Catalog of malicious beings from the occult in nature to extra terrestrial

A journal by Mr Storm, with contribution from Ms Cross, T.E., Brantley, Miss Evie and several others.

"It looks like if I'm to keep things right, I'm going with you," she showed Ms Cross the title page.  "I just.. how did I get my own journal if it was a hundred years old?  When did I start the damn thing?"   she sighed shaking her head.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 04:48:28 pm by fireheart storm » Logged
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #568 on: July 03, 2009, 04:59:26 pm »

Catalog of malicious beings from the occult in nature to extra terrestrial

A journal by Mr Storm, with contribution from Ms Cross, T.E., Brantley, Miss Evie and several others.

She looked at the title page, her mouth dropping in a little "o" of surprise. She recovered quickly enough, a smile emerging. "Ah, the glories of time travel, huh? Seems that you remember standing here, all torn apart inside, and decided to make sure you'd make the right choice." They'd gotten back to the hall of bedrooms. "Why don't you get yourself a bath, and get to reading that. It may be we've got a few things to be telling the boys downstairs afterall. I, for one, am lookin' forward to a soak and puttin' my hair back where it belongs."

She knocked on Evie's door, and when it opened, she gave the lass the outfit. She then went to her own rooms, and luxuriated in a most wonderful bath.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 05:01:24 pm by The Abiliegh » Logged
Miss Cheshire Cat
Officer

« Reply #569 on: July 03, 2009, 05:11:04 pm »

Evie put on the clothes, pulling them into place and looking in a mirror. She braided her long hair and nodded at her reflection, content with her appearance.

She went to the door, opened it and peeked outside. Servants were walking down the hall but it was otherwise empty. She slipped out, and walked out into the hallway. Creeping along silent as a cat, she explored the house. She was curious to a fault more times than not, and simply walked along, nodding to the people walking past her. She came across what looked like an open dining room, and sat down on the floor, looking around the room.
fireheart storm
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #570 on: July 03, 2009, 05:16:19 pm »

Ms storm nodded and run to her room, getting a bath ready, in it only long enough to scrub the dirt off then she dried her self, dressing her self once again in men's clothing as she started reading the journal.

Feeling much better about the situation she curled up in an arm chair, leaning into the journal.  Ms Storm finally stood stretching, she had been doing to much to sit still, so she stepped out of the room, deciding to walk the halls as she read.
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #571 on: July 03, 2009, 05:49:47 pm »

She lay in the water, scented oils relaxing her. Wit her eyes closed, she drifted in and out of psychic awareness, gathering herself, going over all that she'd experienced and filed away in favor of being functional, and generally recharging her drastically drained internal resevoirs.

She didn't realize she'd drifted to sleep.

<flashback>

Max's shot hadn't hit Larry, but it did make Billy stir in my lap. "Baby?" I stroked his hair, trying to be comforting. I knew he was in terrible pain.

"I love you." He whispered, a bit of bloody froth at this lips. I saw his hand move, dropping from his side. Rolling, nearly unnoticible, towards Larry was a grenade. "Run. Leave me here. RUN." He coughed at the forceful whisper. More blood.

"Oh Billy. Oh Billy, I love you too." And I kissed him, despite the blood, despite the pain. I wasn't going to leave without saying goodby.

I grabbed for Max, hauling him to his feet, mid lunge, just as the grenade exploded. The detective 'ad pulled in just before, just in time to see Larry thrown backwards by the blast, but not in time to see us escape.

While I cried, running for my freedom, reporters startted milling about, eastin the story about how Larry has tried to capture three wanted criminals, and how he'd been hurt in the line of doin his duty to society. No one saw the others listening to the story, looking from the rooftops at the both sides of the tale, formulating plans.

They ate it up, all of em doing their part to launch him into a crooked career in the public lime-light.

And I, I was now a widow, a fugitive, and looking at the gaping hole where the rest of my life was s'possed to have been.
</flashback>

Abiliegh woke with a start. It had been a long time since those memories had haunted her to completion. A well of sadness rose in her throat, but it wasn't unbearable this time. It was her past. It was a huge part of her. And she thought, with a bit of surprise, that she was finally going to be able to leave them there.

She rose from the bath, wrapped a towel around her, and smiled.
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #572 on: July 03, 2009, 06:20:44 pm »

Back in the Library, for the moment there's just Gunn, Brantley, and Willoughby,- the Professor, Dr. Einstein, and Bertie having moved out the side door of the Library and into the upstairs Drawing Room, deep in an esoteric conversation. Willoughby crosses to the sideboard, and pours himself a generous slug of whiskey, sits down, reaches into an inside pocket and produces a cigar, which he clips the end from and ignites. Tommy says, "Willoughby, I saw that hide-out gun you've got up your sleeve...would you really have shot Pulcifer?" A flicker of a smile plays across Willoughby's sedate features. "Most assuredly, Tommy, I would have let him have both barrels, had he raised his weapon in the Baron's direction. One never knows where a person's allegiances may lie in these uncertain times, and Mr. Pulcifer has not been here in a very long time. I take my duties very seriously."
"Come to think of it..how did he know we were here? Six hours ago, we was in London, four years in the future, too," muses Tommy. "And how did ya know he was going to show up, MW, ten minutes before he did? If there's somethin' you're not coming clean about, now's the time. Seems like no matter where we go, or when, somebody finds us and tries to kill us ten minutes later...why is that? Ya sure that tracking device was removed? Ya sure there wasn't more than one?" Before Brantley can answer, the tall Library doors open, and the curly-haired Doctor enters. "Hullo, all," he says cheerfully. He is in shirtsleeves and waist-coat, sleeves rolled up. He, too, crosses to the decanter and pours himself a shot. "Thought you might like to know about your friend." He sips the whiskey. "Oh, I say, this is nice...well, it's a good thing you called me when you did. Really, he was more dead than alive, quite touch and go for awhile there. I've got him stabilized, but healing is going to take time. You may tell the Lady..mmm..Mrs. Cross, that her ministrations aboard your aircraft undoubtedly saved his life...otherwise, my services would have been quite unnecessary..I'm good, if I do say so myself, but resurrecting a corpse is beyond even my skill level...though, I should hasten to add, not completely unheard of. The results are usually somewhat...mmm...unsavory, however. In any case, please convey my farewell to the Baron, I must away...Best of luck...we shall be watching with interest, but we do make a point of not meddling in intra-system affairs..for what it's worth, I'll be rooting for you..personal preference, you know..I find the Martians beastly creatures, and there are quite a few humans of which I'm inordinately fond..your Uncle is one such, young Sir!" Willoughby stands, puts down his glass and cigar, and says, "I shall get your coat, hat, and scarf, Doctor, and see you out." "Toodle Pip!" says the Doctor, and they depart.  
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 08:10:39 pm by Sgt.Major Thistlewaite » Logged
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #573 on: July 03, 2009, 06:47:53 pm »

After getting dressed and dolled up, she headed back down to the parlour. She watched as Willoughby and Pulcifer went to the front door as she stepped into the room. She poured herself another spot of the Baron's sherry, lit a cigarette, and made herself comfortable next to Tommy.

When he told her what the Doctor had said, she looked entirely relieved, possibly for the first time since any of them had walked into her bar all that time ago.

"I'll let him rest a bit. He's earned his sleep without my fussin' over him more." She took another pull on the cigarette and wondered how Ms Storm was coming along with that journal. She was anxious to hear what secrets it might hold.
Captain Brandsson
Zeppelin Admiral

"We've done the impossible, that makes us mighty."

« Reply #574 on: July 03, 2009, 07:39:05 pm »

I sat bolt upright.
I was disoriented and confused, but for no reason I could explain I felt safe.
"What year is it?" I called out half for an answer and half just to see who would give it.

- Maximilian
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... 36   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: