The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 13, 2019, 04:18:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... 36   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Extended Steam Salon  (Read 100836 times)
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #525 on: July 02, 2009, 05:06:45 am »

Brantley straightened from the cot, and looked back at the professor. "This 'pile of rags' saved my life once, though he probably doesnt know it, or if he ever did, they probably obliterated the memory."

"It looks like his brain is still reassembling, or else it already finished that stage, and he's rebuilding his memories. Talking to him coherently and getting anything coherent out of him will be an uphill battle for a few hours yet, so everyone but Mrs. Cross please leave him alone for now."

And yes, Professor, if you be so kind as to set the controls for the Baron's timeline and location."

Brantley took a deep breath, let it out, swayed a moment, and then seemed to regain his composure. he went over to the steamer trunk again, and could feel all eyes on him as he removed a bottle of single malt with a tin shot glass upended over the cork on top. "I would suppose that the things that I have said and done over the past 3/4 of an hour have raised quite a few questions." He said, taking the shot glass off the top of the bottle," well, let me get some liquid fire down me and then we'll see if I can answer 'em. HE took a five-swallow slug from the botle, then poured the rest into the shot glass (the bottle had been only 1/4 full), and set it down on the table in front of him, and eased into the chair. "Okay, shoot," he said.

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #526 on: July 02, 2009, 05:38:46 am »

Tommy has never seen a man as torn up as Brandsson still breathing. "Poor guy must have the constitution of an ox," he thinks. Leaving the cabin, he goes onto the deck and lights a smoke. Mrs. Cross will take care of him as best she can, and, if he's hearing them right, they're headed back to the Iron Furnace and 1948.
"Hope the Baron's not too put out at having us back..then again, the way this crazy time travel stuff works, I guess we can show up thirty seconds after we left, so it'll be like we was hardly ever gonel." He takes another drag off the cigarette, and goes below deck to find the case of Kentucky whiskey. The Baron is famous for making big guns...he's made some of the biggest on the planet. "Wonder if even old Thistlewaite can make a gun big enough ta hit Mars?" Tommy finds the whiskey, and heads back up to the deck with a bottle. Uncorking it, he takes three long swallows, and another drag off the coffin nail. He sits down, leans against the rail, and busies himself cleaning the tommy-gun. The Baron would be disappointed in him if he didn't. A man takes care of his tools.

Yet well thy soul hath brooked the turning tide, with that innate, untaught philosophy,Which, be it wisdom, coldness, or deep pride, is gall and wormwood to an enemy.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #527 on: July 02, 2009, 08:35:51 am »

Okay, since nobody seem sto want to ask 'em, I'll do it." Brantley said, getting rather irritable about being suspected, or so he thought, by the members of their party.

"Question 1: Am I human?" the Answer: I . Don't. Know.
Back in 33 i took part in an experiment to try anbd find a wy to make buildings disappear and move around.well, the building stayed put, bt i moved. and i've been moving ever since. I have to watch myself an dconcntrate, because i have been known to simply pass through things like barroom chairs and tables. I've also walked through lots of sidewalk obstructions and teh occasional metal roll-up door; which was the initial reason customs wanted me so badly. Next question?" He asked.
OldProfessorBear
Zeppelin Overlord

Werebears RULE!

« Reply #528 on: July 02, 2009, 08:55:52 am »

At the helm, the Professor said, "Ah, yes. As it happens, I know a bit about that experiment. I was consulted several times when they were planning it. They," he frowned, "were interested in the applied nullological aspects of it, but didn't care to hear about some of what they termed my more 'theoretical concerns'. In fact, it was indirectly due to the apparent failure of that project that my department lost its funding and I was forced into retirement. But that is a long and complicated story in itself.

"I did not know until this moment what happened to the survivors -- there was a major coverup at the time, so much so that no record of it survives, and quite a lot of people seem to have developed collective amnesia," he concluded.

"Bertie" silently nodded in agreement.

Another Entirely Reasonable Opinion from
Bill P_______, Nul.D. (Unseen U.), F.R.S.*, Restorer of Old Photographs,
Sexagenarian Boy Genius and SUPREME NERD GOD!!! (score=98)
Down in the Belly of Brooklyn, NY, US
* http://forum.retrofuturist.org
Miss Cheshire Cat
Officer

http://public4.tektek.org/img/av/0909/d06/2144/c7f

« Reply #529 on: July 02, 2009, 01:24:58 pm »

Evie twisted her hands, and then looked up. "What time are you from, how'd you know that machine, and are you actually from this world?" She looked around the room. "Are you all from this world?"

She sat down defeated, and stuffed her hands in her pockets. The missing items bothered her, but the professor had managed to hide it all. Obviously they didn't want her to know they had it, and she couldn't figure out why.

I apply my personality in a paste- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #530 on: July 02, 2009, 03:49:19 pm »

Abiliegh didn't care about the questions, nor about the answers, right now. She could recal the groups conversation later, and pour over it's nuances and implications then.

"Mr Storm, please get me some water for the Captain, and a bottle ofthe highest proof alcohol you can find." She took off her coat, pillowing it beneath Max's head. The first aid kit was miraculously still intact, and she opened it, going through what few provisions she had to work with.

She gave him a once over, noting the lascerations, the bruises, the spots where bones were likely to be broken, and she sighed. She was woefully unprepared. When Ms Storm returned with the water and the liquor, Abiliegh took a pull from the bottle before setting to work pouring it over the worst of the wounds, putting in stiches, and trying to get Max to take a sip here and ther of the water. She removed the tattered remains of his shirt and bound his chest, feeling ribs at angles they most certainly should not be at. She wasn't a doctor, and this was beyond her meager scope of triage experience.

She worked silently, knowing all too well what this reminded her of.

Action! Adventure! Possible Harlotry!
Abis do it for SCIENCE!
BrassGoggles 2012 Pin-Up Calander!
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #531 on: July 02, 2009, 05:16:00 pm »

Thomas Elihue Thistlewaite, the Baron Luxborough, stands on the South lawn of Thistlewaite Hall, holding an ornate gold pocketwatch in his left hand. "Willoughby..." "Yes, M'Lord?" "Summon the Doctor back here, please, and call down to the R&D department and have Dr. Einstein come up, would you?" "Yes, M'Lord, at once, Sir." Willoughby departs, and Thistlewaite lights his pipe, glances down at the watch, and counts down to himself, "Three, two, one.....and...."
Right on cue, the Beau Rosin materializes twenty feet in front of him. A second later, and forty feet to his right, the London Police Box also materializes in the Rose Garden.
"Excellent!" says the Baron. "Right on time. For whatever that means..."
His nephew is standing on the deck, smoking a cigarette. "Well, don't dawdle, lad! Get your wounded into the drawing room. I rather expected you'd be back shortly...thirty seconds, no more, no less. Have your Professor and Mr. Brantley, if they are not amongst the wounded, meet me in the Library...you know the way...there is someone I'd like them to meet, and we have Battle Plans to discuss. Chop chop! These Martian blighters aren't going to eradicate themselves, you know!" With that, the old man turns on his heel and strides back into the manor. The curly-haired Doctor with the flowing scarf, meanwhile, exits the Police Box and comes over to the Beau Rosin. Tommy lowers the boarding ramp, and the Doctor comes aboard. "Hullo..wounded?" Tommy says, "Yep...in th' cabin there, aft." "Right then." says the Doctor, and enters the cabin.
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #532 on: July 02, 2009, 05:22:00 pm »

Seeing the Doctor enter, she places a quick kiss on Max's forehead, and moves back. After a quick explaination and a profuse apology for anything she might have done wrong, she lets the doctor to his work. She lights up a cigarette and moves to Tommy's side.

She wonders if it's coincidence that every time they drop in on the Baron's estate that she is in shambles, and about ready to collapse from exhaustion.
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #533 on: July 02, 2009, 06:00:06 pm »

Tommy puts his arms around Abiliegh Cross, and holds her close for a few moments, runs his big hand through her curls, and kisses her forehead. He calls over to MW and the Professor..."Hey, guys, the Baron has asked us ta meet him in th' Library..somebody he wants ya ta meet, he says.." Willoughby comes out through the French doors, followed by two men in IF coveralls carrying a stretcher. They come up the ramp and go aft to the cabin. "The Baron only mentioned MW and th' Prof," says Tommy, "But he didn't say nuthin' about the rest of ya not comin' along if ya want to. Follow me." With his left arm around Abiliegh's waist, the group exits the Beau Rosin, followed by the Doctor, Willoughby, and the two men bearing the litter, now containing the battered form of Captain Brandsson. The Doctor, Willoughby, and the men carrying Brandsson go in through the French doors, while Gunn leads the rest around to the front of the Hall, in through the front doors, and up a balustraded staircase to the second floor. Turning to the right, they go a short way down and enter the tall double doors into the library, where they find the Baron waiting. "Very good, very good," says the Baron. "Come in, come in, gentleman, and ladies, make yourselves comfortable...sherry, anyone?" He indicates a silver serving platter, with a decanter and glasses. "My head research scientist...cost me a pretty penny to hire him away from Princeton, I can tell you..had to fund them a new Physics lab...ahem...anyway, my head scientist, Dr. Albert Einstein, will be arriving shortly, and has some interesting information to impart to you, information of critical importance, I gather, if we are to successfully defeat these alien buggers once and for all...meanwhile, help yourselves to the sherry, or, if you prefer something stronger, I shall have Willoughby procure it, post haste. Smoke, if you wish, but mind the carpets.."
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 06:02:39 pm by Sgt.Major Thistlewaite » Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #534 on: July 02, 2009, 06:13:35 pm »

A little while before, in the cabin of the Beau Rosin:

Brantley took a sip of the dregs of the whiskey that he had poured into the tin shotglass, and addressed Evie's question...
"My 'home' time? about twenty years before we stopped at the baron's estate the first time. make it about 1928. The machine?" He laughed , bitterly. "Well... this might come as a bit of a shock, but that machine I just hopefully destroyed back there was not the first of its type, and it certainly wasn't original. And the professor left something out, presumably so that I could tell it." HE looked at the professor's back, no trace of tension or impatience evident in the old academic's stance.

"there was one man who listened to the professor, who tried to get the other sto listen as well, since the he heard what the others were trying so desperately not to hear: that one certain setting would have consequences far beyond simple laboratory mayhem. That man decided, eventually, however, to stand with the other scientists. That man was me. Professor Malcolm Wendell Brantley, Professor Emeritus MIT,DSTT. that last bit stands for 'Department of Spatio-Transduction Technology.' the machine was the STTA-5, the Spatio-Temporal Transduction Array, series 5. I built it, with the professor's help...

When we tried that one certain setting, against our better judgement, Doctor Skinsale, the head of the scientific end of things, decided to add a wrinkle and up the power. the result was a miniature black hole, which formed in another, adjacent  room; I was sucked through that wall, along with several million other items. When I came to, I was laying on a gurney in the clinic in intense pain, with my organs taken out of my body cavity and laying on the table beside the gurney -- but still attached to  me like they were supposed to be. I passed out. When i came to, same scene, but some of the parts there were alien. Martian, I later learned. and they put a tracking device in me -- don't worry, it was removed a long time ago. One of the things that they did to me involved adding a second heart. That, and the other 'modifications' is why I don't like human doctors. They get all kinds of crazy readings, and assume I must be horribly ill. It's also why I can stand to travel through time and space and not get overly dried out, and walk through thin walls and cheap steel doors. The black hole did that; the modified organ complement means I  don't rip myself to shreds when I try it.

"Am I from Earth? oh, yes, I most certainly am. I was born in East Texas. My folks and I moved to that valley where Mrs. Cross wanted to go and visit that witch, when dad got a mine foreman's job there. And the girl who broke my heart lived there as well. and that's where I "acquired" Mother Robey's roan and lit out for Yankee country, after helping rob a train." I don't know every one else's story, Evie. I do know some of them, but I'd better let them tell you when they get a chance. Ah, we seem to be approaching Thistlewaite's estate...
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #535 on: July 02, 2009, 06:44:22 pm »

Just having his arm around her was steadying. She pulled from his strength, his certainty, and every step she took towards the parlour was more sound than the one before it.

She accepted the sherry gratefully, and waited with anticipation for Dr. Einsein.
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #536 on: July 02, 2009, 07:24:04 pm »

Everyone is situated comfortably in the Library. Willoughby has reappeared, and Tommy asks him for a whiskey, double, neat. "Sherry gives me a headache," he says apologetically. The Baron speaks. "I regret to say that I cannot accompany you, I'm afraid my campaigning days are behind me..nor can I engage in Time Travel myself..my internal components contain a small radium pile reactor, which does not suffer temporal manipulation well..something to do with reversing the rate of radioactive decay. Actually tried it, you see, just after we twigged to the fact that the Martians were making another try at conquering this planet..went back only a couple of weeks, to Chicago, going to personally take a hand in it, you know, yes...didn't work out well, no, no, not well at all...but for the intervention of my friend, the Doctor, and others of his kind, we should none of us be standing here now...quite catastrophic..my internal pile reacted with itself in an antimatter fashion, out of phase, you see, quite, I can't explain the theory, nuts and bolts man myself, you know..Dr. Einstein can expound on that, later, if anyone's interested..suffice it to say that if the Doctor's colleagues had not intervened, turned back the clock, so to speak, prevented me from trying it, most of the American Mid-west would have been destroyed a couple of weeks ago..." As Thistlewaite pauses for breath, Tommy realizes that the 'vision' he saw from the bridge was that of his Great-Uncle detonating! "In any case," the Baron continues, "I myself am constrained from any attempt to travel through time." Willoughby enters the library, a bottle of Kentucky Bourbon on another silver tray, and announces, "Dr. Einstein has arrived." A smallish, somewhat rumpled looking old fellow enters the Library. He has a bushy white mustache, and a shock of unruly white hair.
He crosses the big room, and pulls a blackboard on rollers down from above. "Now, zen..." he says, with a noticeable German accent, "Ladies und Chentlemen, now ve get down to brass tacks,ja?" He smiles.
"First und foremost, vun ting ve must verstehen..um..understand is zat ve cannot travel to Mars through time..ve are limited by gravitometric forces at verk...our technology ist different zen zat used by der Doctor und his comrades..usink our technology, ve are bound to our own planet..ozzervise, effry time von traveled through time, von vould end up tousands uf milez vrom der planet, ja? Verstehen sie das? umm..You understand? Der Universe ist expanding, ja? Der Earth ist nicht, er..not in der same position, relative to der rest uf space from moment to moment. If von vere not bound by gravitometrics, zen time travel on der Earth vould not be pozzible. Zat is vy," he pauses, and looks at Brantley, "Your craft, Sir, ven it came out vrom der Voidspace, vas at der upper edge uf der atmosphere, und not tousands und tousands uf miles avay in space. Zerefore," he pauses, then continues, "if von vishes to go to Marz, zen von must travel in real space, in real time, until von ist vithin the gravitational influence uf der Red Planet.
Der Baron has zometing to spreche..ummm. say about zat. Danke schoen..err. Tank you, Ladies und Chentlemen." The Baron speaks up, "So then, hmmmphh, yes, you understand what the good Dr. Einstein is saying, yes? Gravity of a planet binds time as well as space to that planet. In order to go to Mars, we shall have to physically move you there, assuming you are willing to undertake such a journey..no one should blame you if you were not, I dare say." Thistlewaite looks from face to face, then continues." I sent a crew of one hundred brave men back in time ten years this morning, full well knowing that they would not return through time. They have been labouring now for ten years on a piece of solid bedrock five miles from here, digging. Not to put too fine a point upon it, but, working from specifications drawn up by myself and Dr. Einstein, they are at this moment putting the finishing touches on the largest gun ever built, cut straight down a half a mile through solid granite. With your permission, of course, Mr. Brantley, we shall make even further modifications to your ship, removing the gasbag, and enclosing it in an 'egg,' or capsule, and we shall fire you and your companions at Mars, just like a gigantic bullet. Once in the proximity of the gravity well of the Red Planet, the 'egg' will be discarded, and your ship will be free. Also, the near-disaster with my radium pile gave Dr. Einstein some inspirations.." Einstein nods vigorously, and says "Ja, ja! E=Mc squared!" The Baron continues, "Based on that, we are developing a 'super-bomb,' which the Beau Rosin, with any luck, will deliver to the Royal Palace on Mars. Their society is hive based, you know..if you eradicate the Royals, the rest of the Martians will simply lay down and die."
Miss Cheshire Cat
Officer

« Reply #537 on: July 02, 2009, 07:58:09 pm »

Evie stood up. She smoothed out her pants, and looked at everyone.

"There's another threat though. The spirit we encountered, the whole facility is part of something much bigger. It's an agency, that has a hand in this and every other universe. I come from an alternate universe, this same world but different. It's about 1960 there, and most of the countries are controlled by a totalitarian government. This agency is the main force of that government. As the Professor and Bertie would know, some of you are comic characters in my universe," she looked suspiciously at them.

"Now since someone of this world picked up something of mine that doesn't exist here, I don't exist in my world anymore. Probably for the better since I had a hefty criminal record, as my parents were part of a rebellion. But to truly destroy the Martians here, the agency here has to be destroyed."

Sidenote:Kind of going out on a limb here, if it's overstepping a bit, or going in a different direction, just say so, or ignore this whole post...
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #538 on: July 02, 2009, 08:15:56 pm »

"And, of course, there is Larry. I don't know how he ties into all of this, but he is. He certainly didn't bring himself back."

She paused, lighting another cigarette, having stubbed the last one during the lecture. "We've got three fronts. I don't think we're going to eliminate the other two by eliminating the martians." She stood, pacing. "That being said, we *need* to deliver this bomb. How long will it take us to return from Mars? Is there any saying we will be back in time to take on the others?"
fireheart storm
Zeppelin Captain

Monster hunter, researcher, & cyberjacques's rival

« Reply #539 on: July 02, 2009, 09:18:31 pm »

"If I can get what I need, I can make the spirit a minor threat.  That after all is my job, dealing with things that go bump in the night,"  she stood feeling the incredulous look from some one in the room.  "If we don't watch on the occult front, some one if going to hit us hard. "  Ms Storm shrugged her shoulders, "There's much more left in our time and world than people think,  Mrs Cross has a fine point though.  We have to make sure when we're on Mars, they don't move here,"  she put her hand on the box that was on the table, tracing her fingers over the engraving on the lid.

MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #540 on: July 02, 2009, 10:19:12 pm »

Brantley spoke up, then. "I have a few questions, som eof which might seem to be of little moment.

First of all, how is the Beau Rosin going to be able to fly without a gasbag?

Second, how are we supposed to get back?if we cant time travel back, seems to me we're stuck.

Third, what are the chances of this bomb of yours exploding so violently that it ruptures spactime? You're aware, I'm sure, of the Consortium's hand in all this? I had a vision of an airship fleet leveling chicago -- except it wasn't a vision. it was really happening. and then -- it wasn't. That's exactly the consortium's style, that airship attack. How can you be sure that one of those rips in spacetime won't swallow the bomb before it detonates?
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #541 on: July 02, 2009, 10:53:02 pm »

"Here's what I know," says T.E. "When we took Abiliegh away from that thing that was whatever was left o' Lippy th' Lizard, it was 1958...ten years from now. We know from what she's told us that he was workin' fer th' Martians, then. Mebbe they was responsible for doing that to him, mebbe not, I dunno. Now, it's hard ta judge, but things didn't look all that different, and from what you say, Miss Evie, by 1960 in your Universe, or whatever, there was some kind of totalitarian government in place, and it had been fer awhile. That didn't seem ta be th' case. I can see that your 'device' don't look anything like th' one Brantley's got, or the one th' Captain got from Lippy's boy. Mebbe your Universe won't ever move over inta this one..let's face it, somehow you sensed our ship movin' past ya, and managed ta hitch a ride. As fer us being comic book characters," he grins crookedly, 'when I was a kid, I used ta read dime thrillers about Billy th' Kid and Buffalo Bill...by th' time 1960 rolls around, if we manage ta pull this off, they might just be makin' comic books about us in this Universe. If we deal with th' Martians now, then mebbe Lipschitz won't even get resurrected..I dunno..but, as bad as he is, he's small potatoes next ta the Martians. As fer how long it'll take, or when we'll get back, I got a question fer ya, Uncle T..if yer plannin' on shootin' us there, how are we supposed ta get back?"
The Baron answers promptly. "That has been considered, Tommy, and it is a good question. You must go there in real time, and I cannot stress this enough, Mr. Brantley...once the 'super-bomb' is on-board your vessel, you must not touch your time controls at all...the few ounces of material in my chest were sufficient to create a blast that would have destroyed the Mid-west...the 'super-bomb' weighs seven hundred pounds. If it were to be activated in the same manner,while you were in the gun, for instance, it would save the Martians the trouble..it would destroy the Earth. Very serious. As to your return trip...it won't be easy. Once you have established control over the Red Planet, then we will use the Mega-gun to fire more personnel to Mars. Assuming that Time Travel works there in the same way it does here, Mr. Brantley will shuttle the work crews back ten years on that planet, and they will construct a Mega-gun identical to the one here, and you will be 'shot' back to Earth. If, for some reason, you cannot take the work crews backwards ten years in Martian space-time, then you will be there for ten years, as the crew constructs the gun. As I said, no one could blame you for not going...but the fate of the Earth  depends on it. Iron Furnace shall bear all the expense of this, and if it bankrupts me, so be it. That's how important this is. We must deal with the Martian threat now..in ten years, they will be too powerful to successfully oppose. I shouldn't be the least bit surprised if your little group were to become famous heroes if you accomplish this ..you will undoubtedly have saved the Earth. Comic books may be the least of it..there shall be statues of you in every town square."
The Baron looks to MW. "Mr. Brantley, your questions are good ones, also. I have already addressed the problem of your return to Earth. Part of the refit to your ship will be powerful lifting motors spaced around the hull..the gasbag would not work on Mars in any case, as the Martian atmosphere is far too thin. The motors will, however, be powerful enough to operate in the thin atmosphere, and, as an added benefit, assuming that you and your ship make it back to Earth, motors designed to work on Mars will keep the Beau Rosin in the air here when set for 'Low Idle." The Baron smiles. "As to the Consortium..hmmm..we'll just have to take our chances with that, for the time being. The Martians are the immediate threat."
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #542 on: July 02, 2009, 11:19:36 pm »

She sqeezed Tommy's hand as she absorbed all that the Baron had to say. 10 years was a long time, but she could do it. She was just stubborn enough to risk it. She'd spent enough time playing the villain when she was young. It was high time to stand up and be respectable....

Her voice was soft. "I'll go. So long as I know someone will be there to destroy Larry if I don't come back, I'll go..."
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #543 on: July 02, 2009, 11:55:06 pm »

Honey speaks up, the first time she's spoken in hours. There is still a haunted look in her eyes. "I can't do this. I'm no adventurer. I'm not brave, or strong. I want to go home. I will say this though, Mrs. Cross..if I ever see Larry again, I'll do my best to kill him."
Thistlewaite nods. "A vehicle will be placed at your disposal, my dear, which will take you wherever you wish."

(Sidebar: and thus Honey leaves our story, for the time being.)
Miss Cheshire Cat
Officer

« Reply #544 on: July 03, 2009, 12:22:43 am »

Evie looks around. "I've barely known all of you, and as it goes, I'm practically just hitch-hiking. I don't know if I'm separate from this world, but now I can't imagine going back to mine. I've always wanted to do something right for the world, do something like what my parents tried to do." She ran her hand across her face, wiping away a tear, and steadied her voice. "I'll go. I don't care if it takes fifty years."
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #545 on: July 03, 2009, 12:42:30 am »

Athena Hoven speaks. "I'm sorry, but I can't. This has been a great adventure, but I have other business..I can't take a chance on getting stuck on Mars for ten years. I'll ride with Honey."
This time it's Tommy who nods, and says, "We'll miss ya...ya've been a lot o' help."
He continues, "I'm in. Not much point in doin' anything else but fight 'em..it's gonna be there,or it's gonna be here..better there." He sips his whiskey, opens the box of Sullivan-Powells and lights one, inhaling deeply. "I've always been on th' right side o' things, a little rough, mebbe, but never crooked. Now, I know some of ya was criminals at one time or another, but this oughta make up fer anything ya ain't exactly proud of in yer past, and then some."
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #546 on: July 03, 2009, 12:56:25 am »

"Ladies... Thank you. Thank you for everythin'. If we're all ever back in my bar, I owe you both a drink."

She leaned her head on Tommy's shoulder, eyes closed for a moment. They weren't likely to have many comfortable moments left.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #547 on: July 03, 2009, 01:17:12 am »

"Alright."  Brantley paused before he said the words, but he did get around to saying them. "I'm in, you lot will need somebody who knows the space out beyond ol' Luna."

"And if you will, Milord Baron, lock tyhe chronojumper in a strongbox to remind me not to crank it up at the first sign of trouble; and in about ten minutes time, tell your people to let Jack Pulcifer in the front gate. it's about time fer him to show up."
OldProfessorBear
Zeppelin Overlord

Werebears RULE!

« Reply #548 on: July 03, 2009, 01:31:26 am »

The Professor gestured, and "Bertie"'s copies of The Illustrated London News, which, remarkably, he was still holding, reverted to their original state. "Just so you all can see what young Evie was talking about ... " he said.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"I thought it best to conceal these from everyone until we had some idea what their existence implied. But now we know, so ... " he concluded.

If the assembled company had  appeared puzzled when these items were mentioned a few moments before, they now wore looks of outright astonishment.

"I take it you have others like these, Miss Evie?" the Professor asked.
Miss Cheshire Cat
Officer

« Reply #549 on: July 03, 2009, 02:00:27 am »

Evie shook her head. "Not on me. They're in my bag. I have playing cards and newspapers though..."

She pulled crumpled bits of paper along with scattered cards out of her pockets. After ensuring they stayed in her pockets through her universe jumping, she didn't seem to mind if they fell on the floor now.

"I keep some of it as mementos, some of it as proof in case I didn't get back to my own time and world. Now I'm not sure if I want to go back. When I think of it, all I have is a stay in prison, and forced "re-evaluation" of what my position in society is."

Evie started. "Speaking of my bag, where is it? I have all of my extra clothes and equipment... My whole life is in that bag, and I need to know where it is. I also have lists of all the agents in the different universes. If I have that, we'll know exactly who's controlling the division here."
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... 36   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: