The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 14, 2019, 12:50:51 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... 36   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Extended Steam Salon  (Read 103487 times)
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #500 on: July 01, 2009, 06:47:12 am »

"Good," thinks Gunn. "At least Brantley got th' word out...whatever happens ta us, 'Aunt Sally' will see ta it that this place is a smokin' hole in th' ground by tomorrow mornin'. Technology..that's what a feller can trust." Tommy's mouth flickers the ghost of a smile for a second, as he's reminded of his Uncle, night before last, saying 'Science!' A good firearm, a good car...these are things Tommy understands..this blasted witchcraft is beyond him, and he doesn't like it. Little does he know it, but in his own way, his disbelief in the supernatural makes him nearly invulnerable to those powers.

Yet well thy soul hath brooked the turning tide, with that innate, untaught philosophy,Which, be it wisdom, coldness, or deep pride, is gall and wormwood to an enemy.
Kittybriton
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Steampunk: absinthe-minded professors!

« Reply #501 on: July 01, 2009, 02:28:15 pm »

*SIDEBAR*

I'm a bit wooly on the details (and a lot else) but IIRC Joe Average experiences "solid matter" as such because of the weak atomic binding force. If the WABF can be negated temporarily, as in the cziltang brone of Larry1 Niven's Ring Builders.

1 No relation I hope, to that deranged "Lizard"

Thank you for your patience.
*/SIDEBAR*

Join me in exploring the music of time!
(http://kittybriton.multiply.com/journal
Miss Cheshire Cat
Officer

http://public4.tektek.org/img/av/0909/d06/2144/c7f

« Reply #502 on: July 01, 2009, 03:01:53 pm »

Evie muttered 23 skidoo, and followed the others. She twisted the handle of the weapon in her hand nervously, eyes flicking into every corner and dark space.

"Cells for the prisoners that aren't currently...waiting should be a little down the hall, and to the left. I don't think they're too creative with architecture..."

This had existed in her world, though she didn't know anymore if the rules that had applied, still applied. She spent months in the cell next to the interrogation room. She heard all the screams, and spent every night curled around a clockwork doll. Eventually the screaming stopped, and a few hours later, they unlocked the cell.

I apply my personality in a paste- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #503 on: July 01, 2009, 03:21:33 pm »

sidebar: All of this is AWESOME. Post soon to come.

Action! Adventure! Possible Harlotry!
Abis do it for SCIENCE!
BrassGoggles 2012 Pin-Up Calander!
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #504 on: July 01, 2009, 03:34:54 pm »

<flash>
We watched Brantley call for back up. We watched Tommy flicker in and out of this strange kind of vision. We watched Evie and Brantley leave, and we saw Ms Storm come barelling back in.

My other half giggled, seeing the gal work desperately with the chains she was holding.

And then, we saw a flash of Max at the corner of my eye, in the cell we'd burst through. I felt cursing, anger that i'd seen it.

And then, as the chains were placed on my wrists and heads, we were screaming.
</flash>

Mrs Cross sat bolt upright, a loud scream tearing from her throat. She was visibly shaking, glistening with a thin sheen of cold sweat, and her eyes were wide with fear and shock.

And then, she started to cry. She tried to hold it back, tried to be strong and in control, but she had no reserves of strength left to pull from. Tears tumbled from her eyes, and her shoulders shook with silent sobs. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 04:19:01 pm by The Abiliegh » Logged
Miss Cheshire Cat
Officer

« Reply #505 on: July 01, 2009, 04:00:25 pm »

Evie turned at the scream, and stared at the direction it came from. There was nothing trying to get in, but perhaps Mr. Storm, who had run back into the room frantically, had done something.

They took her to the room. They started by branding a logo into her shoulder, she could never run from them again. She didn't know anything, anything at all. Her parents were volunteers, nothing more. They didn't believe her. Something went wrong. Everyone left the room, left her. She walked weakly to the counters, grabbed the clock, the only thing she recognised. Turning the dials, she left nothing but a whirlwind of paper in the room. They would chase her for the rest of her life. And here she was, back in their facility.

Sidebar: I may not be in for more than a few minutes the rest of today, and maybe most of tomorrow. I'll check when I can, and if I'm not here for a while, feel free to do whatever with Evie to progress the story along.
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #506 on: July 01, 2009, 05:22:37 pm »

Abiliegh Cross screams, bloodcurdling, loud, and starts upward, almost bolting out of the chair...Tommy is startled, a little unnerved, but, putting his big hands on her shoulders, he keeps her from pitching to the floor. "Abi! Abiliegh! It's OK! We're here...you're OK!" Mrs. Cross, her hand shaking, tears rolling down her cheeks, points back towards the empty cell. "Max," she says, her voice weak. "Max...there. He's there!" Tommy ducks his head back through the ruined wall. Nothing. He crosses to the door and, leaning out, bellows, "Brantley! We need ya back here, pronto!" He then turns, and taking Abiliegh's hand in his, tries to comfort her.
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #507 on: July 01, 2009, 05:32:07 pm »

Abiliegh Cross screams, bloodcurdling, loud, and starts upward, almost bolting out of the chair...Tommy is startled, a little unnerved, but, putting his big hands on her shoulders, he keeps her from pitching to the floor. "Abi! Abiliegh! It's OK! We're here...you're OK!" Mrs. Cross, her hand shaking, tears rolling down her cheeks, points back towards the empty cell. "Max," she says, her voice weak. "Max...there. He's there!" Tommy ducks his head back through the ruined wall. Nothing. He crosses to the door and, leaning out, bellows, "Brantley! We need ya back here, pronto!" He then turns, and taking Abiliegh's hand in his, tries to comfort her.

She wished he would put his arms around her. She needed touch. Her mind was jumbled, and she was trying to piece together all the things she'd seen, all the things she'd felt, and all the things she knew now that Ms Storm had pulled her back to herself.

"Mr Storm... Thank you. Whatever it was you did, it worked. I fear, however, I gave up much to our enemies. Your spirit... she's a mean one." Her voice waivered a bit, and Abiliegh wiped a few tears away. She leaned agains Tommy, closing her eyes a moment. "But I got something from her too. Max is here, he's just... not quite now. We're outta sync, and not by much, I'd wager."

She tried to stand, and accepted Tommy's help to do so. Doing all she could to hide the jelly in her knees, she made her way to the cell. "We've got to figure out what happened here, something is keeping him on his own timeline. I just hope that our clue didn't lie on that rubble of a wall..."

She began to search through what remained of the room.
Captain Brandsson
Zeppelin Admiral

"We've done the impossible, that makes us mighty."

« Reply #508 on: July 01, 2009, 05:38:34 pm »

I lurched around the room as best I could, but the damage made it tough.
There was something else, though.  I felt...  jostled.
It was like the room was full of people milling about, bumping into me now and then, but there was no one there.
Something not quite there collided with me and I fell to the floor.
Cross.  I'd just bumped into Cross.  But how?

- Maximilian
fireheart storm
Zeppelin Captain

Monster hunter, researcher, & cyberjacques's rival

« Reply #509 on: July 01, 2009, 05:41:40 pm »

"I'm sorry I didn't realize it sooner, it's my job to know stuff like that," she said, scowling at the mention of the spirit.
Walking over herself, and felt a buzz.  Something or someone was here, just not this layer of here.  Ms Cross was right.  She walked into the middle of the cell, setting the box down  "do you know if he's behind us or ahead of us?"  Ms Storm opened the box, refiling through, maybe an answer was in there..

look like my appointment has been delayed, so I get to stick around a bit longer Cheesy
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 05:48:21 pm by fireheart storm » Logged

The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #510 on: July 01, 2009, 05:53:27 pm »

She stumbled.

I just bumped into Max... Her thoughts raced as best they could. He's just as close as I thought.

She touched the chains at her wrists, felt the chain atop her head, and wondered if they would stop her from trying to poke about. She decided that, for the moment, it was for the best that she not tax herself further. There had to be something... something tangible that could solve this dilema.

She turned, and for the first time since awakening, she saw the equipment in the room beyond the cell. "No... I don't know. But somethin tells me we might be able to find out..."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #511 on: July 01, 2009, 05:58:55 pm »

Brantley heard Tommy's yell, and turned back from what he had been seeing and disbelieviung, hoping it was all just some cornball experiment. He ran back to the room, cursing the whole way, Dagnabbit! Why'd he have to use my name like that! if The Lady heard that, she'll be on our backsides faster than I can 'walk a mailbox!

HE 'walke dthe door he'd com through when he let, and saw no one. "TOMMY?!" he yelled. "In Here, MW, we need yer advice." came Tommy's voice. HE strode to the former wall of the cell, and sensed immediately what they wanted him for. "I can take all of us to him, but I'd suggest one passenger, pardon my terminology," he said, "in case we can't get back the easy way. This equipment is not completely human-made. They don't always work like you or i would expect."

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Miss Cheshire Cat
Officer

« Reply #512 on: July 01, 2009, 06:08:50 pm »

Evie walked in behind. She pulled out a small compass-like instrument and walked around the room with it.

"If I can figure out where he is exactly, I could take everyone there and come back. But I'm not sure how well it would work. My compass is going absolutely insane here," she held up the small device, and the many needles spun around in fast circles. "I don't know if it's the spirit, or if we're in a blip, but it can't figure quite what time anything is."
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #513 on: July 01, 2009, 06:28:34 pm »

"Why don't we try to use their own machines against them?" She spoke softly. "With everything so mucked up, it's safter to all keep together. We've already got one outta phase, we don't need another group stuck in yet another..."

She looked around, now that everyone was back. Guilt rode her heavy. She'd given away much, to the spirit. Names weren't the only thing pried from her mind.

It made her want to get them at their own game. The stakes had been raised, and she would meet the ante.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 06:30:32 pm by The Abiliegh » Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #514 on: July 01, 2009, 11:06:29 pm »

Brantley looked hard at Miss Evie for a moment and said, "when you were here before..."

His mind suddenly did a double back-flip, and suddenly he remembered everything. The experiment back in '33. that damnable transduction array. The memorandum from the Celestial Intervention Agency* to cease and desist all experiments, as H.G.Welles' time machine was not just a story, and they (his fellow experimenters) were facilitating the invasion of earth by the Martians. Doctor Skinsale "Skinny" Dugan laughing at the memorandum.

The power-up of the STTA-5 (#5 in a series of experimental spatio-temporal transduction arrays). The anomalous black hole, and getting sucked through the wall of the lab. The pain. His midsection emptied, basically, the contents spread out on a table beside the gurney he lay upon. The addition of a transmitter to track him. That sadistic bastard, Skinny Skinsale squeezing his hearts (??) as he put them back in. The realization as he looked at his own organs, that some were not his own...some were martian...and some were from someplace he couldnt even imagine...

...And then the realization that he was free, since the transmitter had been left on the other side of a lead wall at a secret reactor site, which he had just walked through. Then, running through both time and space, until US Customs "rescued" him, and made him a special agent.
And now here he was in a completely different place, looking at a machine, (its parts spread over many tables), whose parts looked exactly the same as the STTA-5.

"Aunt Sally," he muttered not-quite-under his breath, "Who am I? What am I, really, who are you, and whose side were we really on?" He shook himself then. Brantley took out his pocket device, opened it, and set several tiny dials, manipulated a slider, and then set the unit down on what looked like an electronic meat scale. He switched the 'scale' on, then went around turning on various machines but leaving others alone.

"DONT help me turn this on, he warned; Miss Evie, of course, you are allowed to help."

Folks, which machines get turned on, how they're turned on, and where they are set determine what the larger macro-machine does."

"Miss Evie., when you're ready, throw the main lever over at position 1." Brantley said, "and lets pray that nobody gets sucked through a wall this time...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*sidebar:Celestial Intervention Agency-yes, this is a major borrow from Dr. Who; specifically the agency that sent Tom Baker's Doctor back to prevent the resurrection of Morbius, in The Mind of Morbius
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 08:17:37 am by MWBailey » Logged
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #515 on: July 01, 2009, 11:20:33 pm »

She let them work. She didn't feel that she deserved the much appreicated moment to breathe, but she was grateful for it regardless.

But she didn't revel in it for long. She took one last second to touch Tommy, and then she straightened. "Mr Storm. It is important you tell me everything you know about this spirit. You might have me nice and tidy and safe right now, but these are going to have to come off at some point, and I need to know what I will be fighting... What we will be fighting, if it's something you can help with."
OldProfessorBear
Zeppelin Overlord

Werebears RULE!

« Reply #516 on: July 01, 2009, 11:42:06 pm »

*back on the airship*

There was a slight lurch. The Professor swore, and "Bertie" once again popped out of the cabin.

"Well, what the dickens was that?" said "Bertie".

The Professor relaxed. "Looks like our friends may need more time. Our loop was just restarted by remote control. I hope that's not cause to worry ..." he said. "But what's that in your hand, 'Bertie'? Doesn't look like an ancient scroll to me."

"Oh. No, it isn't. Just when the ship lurched, I noticed this on the floor inside, in just about the same spot as the last one." And he handed the Professor this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Dashed strange, that!"

The Professor stared at it in wonder.

Another Entirely Reasonable Opinion from
Bill P_______, Nul.D. (Unseen U.), F.R.S.*, Restorer of Old Photographs,
Sexagenarian Boy Genius and SUPREME NERD GOD!!! (score=98)
Down in the Belly of Brooklyn, NY, US
* http://forum.retrofuturist.org
Miss Cheshire Cat
Officer

« Reply #517 on: July 01, 2009, 11:44:32 pm »

Evie followed the directions given to her. She pulled her hand off the lever, and stared at Brantley curiously. How was it that he knew how to work this machine, how in the world was he able to just pass through doors, and just generally, who was he??

Her mind was swirling with questions, and she didn't really know anytime to ask them.
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #518 on: July 01, 2009, 11:55:34 pm »

"While you guys are busy, I'm gonna make sure nuthin' sneaks up on us from outside...we ain't exactly been quiet, and I don't want any more "surprises" comin' down on us from that tunnel." Hefting the tommy-gun, he gives Mrs. Cross a quick kiss and a squeeze of the hand, and ducks back out into the darkness. Looking both ways, he thinks he glimpses something moving, so, true to his word, he shoots at it, and is rewarded with an increasingly familiar yelp. Sticking his head back in, he says, "Best ta hurry, if ya can..them bat-dog things are back, sniffin' around just outside th' light."
OldProfessorBear
Zeppelin Overlord

Werebears RULE!

« Reply #519 on: July 02, 2009, 12:24:51 am »

*aboard the airship ...*

"I think we'd best peruse these," said the Professor, "or at least you should. I still need to keep a lookout here."

"Indeed," said "Bertie". "Even though there seems to be nothing out there, something is definitely going on here."

After a few minutes, "Bertie" looked up, saying, "Well, for one thing, these haven't been published yet. The dates show these were, or will be, printed in 1959 and 1960! And as I recall, this is 1952, correct?"

OldProfessorBear
Zeppelin Overlord

Werebears RULE!

« Reply #520 on: July 02, 2009, 01:05:18 am »

"Insofar as '1952' has any meaning in our present circumstances, yes, that's right" replied the Professor. "But how are they appearing here? Nothing should be able to get to us inside the shield."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #521 on: July 02, 2009, 02:51:55 am »

The individual machines all hummed together in a song of electrical cooperation. it would have been beautiful if the electric choir had not been cursed with so many tone-deaf members. Brantley scurried about, adjusting dials, flipping toggles, and then went to  and pulled the small lever beside what looked like a small steam convection oven, and Brandsson suddenly popped into existence in the cell!

"Ms. Storm! Mrs. Cross! GRAB HIM NOW!"and they did, bringing him in with the rest of them. Brantley consulted his device, and waved Evie over with the rest of them, and pushed the "kill switch" button beside the large lever, pulled out and activated his blaster, aimed at the ugly gray cast-iron blob that stood in the middle of the cluster of tables, and turned on the first circle, made sure everyone, including Tommy, for whom he had to yell out to get him to join them, was inside the travelling field, and set up the second circle. He simultaneously fired the blaster at what they would later learn (from him, if no one else) was the reactor that powered everything, and also pressed the activation button for teh second circle.

Brantley randomly set the third circle, and then set the chrono-jump mode into effect, guiding the traveling field back aboard the Beau Rosin just as the first weirdly-shaped aircraft slowed to a stop overhead, disgorging a unit of soldiery to begin setting up a perimeter around the site. Brantley cut off the fields, and they all dropped a few inches onto the deck."PROFESSOR! Brantley Shouted, Pull that Crank toward you and get us OUTTA here!"

just as the Beau Rosin's three circles closed, an object dropped from a cluster of five more of the weird aircraft. brantley looked at teh time display on the ship's chrono-jumper, ansd saw that the bomb, when detonated (it would burrow in, first) would have arrived anothe rten minutes EARLIER than he had predicted. There was suddenly a blinding flash that dissipated immediately, due to their having left that time line far behind. Brantley went to the cot where the Captain Brandsson was now lying. "Capn, is there enough of ya left to tell us what happened?" he asked.
Miss Cheshire Cat
Officer

« Reply #522 on: July 02, 2009, 02:59:15 am »

Evie steadied herself after the jumping. "That must've been the strangest thing I've experienced."

She realised for the first time since their departure from the ship that her pockets were considerably lighter. She checked through her pockets frantically, and realised what had happen. She noticed the Professor and his companion holding packets, that she recognised, and went pale.

"That can't be good."
Captain Brandsson
Zeppelin Admiral

"We've done the impossible, that makes us mighty."

« Reply #523 on: July 02, 2009, 03:44:00 am »

Reality lurched.
I was seventeen.  It was a wam July night and Bettie was telling me that she loved me, too, and that we would be together forever...
Reality spun.
I was twenty-one.  I stood at the bottom of a stair, holding a door open and laughing, as Billy, Abi and Larry stumbled over each other trying to get down to me...
Reality swooped.
I was back in the cell, but I wasn't alone. A voice, nearby, asked me "Capn, is there enough of ya left to tell us what happened?"
Reality dove.
I was an old man.  A familiar voice bid me fairwell and apologized, then put a bullet in my back...
Reality snapped back.
I was back in the cell, again, but I wasn't alone. A voice, nearby, asked me "Capn, is there enough of ya left to tell us what happened?"
I vomited.
OldProfessorBear
Zeppelin Overlord

Werebears RULE!

« Reply #524 on: July 02, 2009, 03:59:30 am »

The Professor noticed young Evie looking at "Bertie" and himself; she appeared to be slightly stunned. But he called out, "Brantley! I take it that pile of rags is the fellow we came here to rescue! From the look of him, wouldn't it be best to make haste for the Baron's, and get him some help?"

And under his breath he whispered. "Best put those things out of sight, 'Bertie'," as he applied some practical nullology to the objects. In an instant, "Bertie" was holding a couple of copies of The Illustrated London News and some other miscellany.

"Welcome back, all," said the Professor. I see everyone is more or less intact -- save for that poor fellow.What happened?"
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... 36   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: