The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 12, 2019, 12:28:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.
 
   Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... 36   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Extended Steam Salon  (Read 103273 times)
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
******
Gibraltar Gibraltar


I am, therefore I think.


« Reply #425 on: June 28, 2009, 07:37:44 am »

*A few moments earlier*
Just as another vessel phases into full materialization, Tommy lines up the Baron's 'experimental,' presses the firing stud again, and again there is the momentary whine, the charged air and ball lightning, the blinding flash and the result is the same...with one difference. This is no Martian craft, but a more conventional airship of earthly origin. As the blue white bolt stikes the main hull, the attendant lightning envelops and entwines the rest of the vessel, climbing the lines which attach the gasbag...and there is an instant ~*WHOOOMPPFFF!!!*~ as the envelope explodes..a hydrogen craft. The gondola begins its plunge, blue lightning spiderwebbing its surface, but never hits the ground, vaporizing in the air. Balls of orphaned lightning drift and dissipate by detonating, and St. Elmo's Fire plays up and down the rigging of the Beau Rosin. Tommy feels as though his nerves are on fire, now, and struggles to control an involuntary twitch in the muscles of his left leg. True, this rifle does not have a physical kick, but firing the "Mobius Gun" takes its own type of toll. "The Baron probably didn't know about th' side effects...the thing was on a test stand. Nobody human's ever fired it before." His mouth is dry, and he swallows hard...another ship is coming into phase, a big one, and Tommy forces his arms to raise the gun, and take aim. His heart is hammering, too fast, and he honestly doesn't know if firing it again might kill him, too. Still, this badly outnumbered..."For Abiliegh," he says, but just as he is reaching for the firing stud, the Beau Rosin lurches slightly, and the three whirling circles are orbiting around them...the attackers disappear..the Beau Rosin is moving through space-time once more. T.E. turns, and sees Abiliegh at the helm. He drops to his knees on the deck, and as he reaches over to steady himself on a bronze capstan, there is a *Snap Crackle Pop!* of static discharge, and he goes limp, dropping the rifle and going face down, out cold.
Logged

Yet well thy soul hath brooked the turning tide, with that innate, untaught philosophy,Which, be it wisdom, coldness, or deep pride, is gall and wormwood to an enemy.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
*
United States United States


"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #426 on: June 28, 2009, 03:09:04 pm »

Brantley rushed out of the cabin, and onto the deck once again, dropping beside Tommy. he took off his Tam os shanter and pressed his right ear to Tommy's chest, and heard  the heart beating, apparently none the worse for wear. "Right. Ya Big Lug, you just couldn't possibly pass out inside the cabin, could ya?" groaning and uttering a stream of curses in English, Gaelighe, and some obscure dialect of Lemurian, HE dragged Gunn into the Scow's cabin, and heaved him onto the cot. "I might have to break out the other five cots if this keeps up," he muttered, and got a tin cup and a canteen from under teh wash stand beside the stove., filling the canteen and then pouring from the canteen into the cup, and putting both on the crate beside the cot where Gunn lay, still out cold as a stone.
Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Miss Cheshire Cat
Officer
***
United States United States


http://public4.tektek.org/img/av/0909/d06/2144/c7f


« Reply #427 on: June 28, 2009, 03:33:51 pm »

Evelyn looked to each face, as she realised everyone was staring at her. Guess it's not a common occurrence that someone pops up here, she thought. She spent a particularly long time staring at the face that had asked if he knew her, and also had the little welcoming gift of a gun in her face.

"I'm Evelyn", she nearly snapped, then softened. "You can call me Evie though. I just noticed someone in the threadspace, and I thought you were...someone else."
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 04:32:56 pm by Miss Cheshire Cat » Logged

I apply my personality in a paste- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral
******
United States United States


Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #428 on: June 28, 2009, 04:48:34 pm »

"Tommy!" She lunged for him, catching herself just moments before dropping the controls of the Beau Rosin. It wouldn't do him any good to kill everyone.

Tears rolled down her cheeks as she saw him there, saw Brantley approach, saw him drag Tommy into the cabin. She wanted to run to him, to hold him, to be there when his eyes opened.

And then she felt Max fading too.

"Concentrate, girl. You can't sacrifice your only friend left in this world because you're holding a torch for Tommy. He's a big boy, and you gotta job to do.... And you're going to have to do it on you're own too, that gun ain't gonna help you anymore."

She centered herself, still teary, and pushed on towards Captain Brandsson. She did everything in her power to think only on him. She wasn't completely successful, but it was enough. "Er... Brantley? How do I land this rig... we're here."
Logged

Action! Adventure! Possible Harlotry!
Abis do it for SCIENCE!
BrassGoggles 2012 Pin-Up Calander!
fireheart storm
Zeppelin Captain
*****
United States United States


Monster hunter, researcher, & cyberjacques's rival


WWW
« Reply #429 on: June 28, 2009, 04:49:45 pm »

Ms Storm staggered as the ship that was materializing suddenly blanked out.  She felt a tingle run up her spine as an electric sound cut the air.  "Gunn!"  After Brantley assured her he was fine, she turned her attention to their new visitor.

"So Miss Evelyn," she said raising an eye brow, "Call me Mr Storm, you often go jumping in and out of time?"
Logged

Miss Cheshire Cat
Officer
***
United States United States


http://public4.tektek.org/img/av/0909/d06/2144/c7f


« Reply #430 on: June 28, 2009, 05:42:27 pm »

"Well, Mr. Storm, I thought someone that was following me was in this area. Either I missed them, or the clock brought me here," she gestured to the wooden device that she finally realised she was still holding. It was a peculiar, little device that would've looked more at home sitting above a fireplace.

She ran her hand through her curly, dark blonde hair, a nervous habit she had developed. "I don't know if the clock brought me here for a reason, but it looks as though you might need a bit of assistance," she glanced around again. "I would be happy to help if need be, and I do feel a bit obligated, as I did crash in here. Speaking of here, where, and when, am I exactly?"
Logged
fireheart storm
Zeppelin Captain
*****
United States United States


Monster hunter, researcher, & cyberjacques's rival


WWW
« Reply #431 on: June 28, 2009, 11:03:51 pm »

"Well Miss," Ms storm started scratching the back of her head,  "Beau Rosin is the name of the ship much beyond that I don't have a clue. I specialize in monsters, not time,"  she cut herself off listening to Ms Cross.  "Brantley!  Ms Cross says we need to land,"
Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
*
United States United States


"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #432 on: June 29, 2009, 12:08:32 am »

"Cut the diesel feed to about half, Mrs. Cross...good, now pull back on the crank on the box in front of you to the far right, twice." He watched as she did so. "Yeeessss, that will do. It'll keep us one causal minute out of phase so we can't be boarded unless we let them in." He holstered the Mauser.

"Miss Evie, you have my apologies. It's just that I've been boarded like that several times in the past, and its always been by hostiles, and twice by hostiles pretending to be friendlies." He turned back to Mrs. Cross. How do you want to do this Mrs. Cross? I'd sure like to have somebody on the raygun, but whoever it is needs to wear a chain or cable that drags the ground so they don't get all lightning-drunk like Tommy (and don't worry, he's just sleepin' it off; he'll be right as rain in a few minutes -- but the Cap'n might not have that long, so we'd better go ahead." he raised his voice slightly. Who'll volunteer for guard duty?"

 As he was speaking, he had crossed over to he steamer trunk that stood beside the table that was bolted to the floor in the middle of teh cabin, opened it up, felt inside and came up with an odd-looking pistol. Obviously a raygun of his own, but much smaller than tommy's big piece of artillery, it was shaped vaguely like a wooden-stocked dueling pistol, but with a huge-diameter brass barrel on which he manipulated a slide, causing the barrel to extend an inward-mounted plug-like slider assemblage, increasing the barrel's length a good two inches, then pulling it back in, and clipping it to his trousers belt.

"Anyone?"
Logged
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
******
Gibraltar Gibraltar


I am, therefore I think.


« Reply #433 on: June 29, 2009, 12:16:15 am »

Tommy comes to, opens his eyes, and sees the overhead in the cabin of the Beau Rosin. His mouth feels like it's full of cotton, and as he rolls up to a sitting position, he notices someone's left a tin cup of water setting on an upended crate beside the bunk. He extends his right hand to pick it up, and while still an inch from the cup, tiny blue sparks jump between his hand and the cup with a small *crack!* He fans his hand..it stings..then reaches for the cup again...this time, no sparks, and he lifts the cup and takes a long and grateful swallow of water. Standing, he realizes how weak and drained he feels. " Th' Baron's new toy's still got a few bugs in it," he thinks, "Powerful as it is, it's no good if it damn near kills th' person usin' it. Still, I got two shots out of it, and each of 'em took out a whole ship...maybe the 'big brains' like th' Prof can figger out how ta make it safer." He moves toward the deck, and steadies himself on the doorframe. There's somebody new here...something about.."who's that?" He shakes his head...it's still buzzing like it's full of bees...He sees Thistlewaite's Mobius Gun, still laying where he dropped it, and, out of habit goes over, picks it up, and takes it to its case. There's another typewritten note in the bottom of the case;

NOTE: TEN SHOTS PER CHARGE, CHARGE AT 240 VOLTS AC. BLUE LIGHT, CHARGE SUFFICIENT FOR FIRING. RED LIGHT, CHARGE INSUFFICIENT FOR FIRING. GOOD LUCK! R&D DEPT,. I.F.A&A

Tommy puts the strange and terrible weapon back in its case, then moves over to the group by the helm.
Still a little fuzzy, he gathers they're getting ready to go find Brandsson. He slips his hand into Abiliegh's. "Count me in...jus' lemme go get th' Tommy-gun...that ray-gun ain't no playtoy, and it's no good in close quarters, anyhow."

« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 12:25:46 am by Sgt.Major Thistlewaite » Logged
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral
******
United States United States


Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #434 on: June 29, 2009, 12:20:54 am »

"Oh, thank god!" She gasps, seeing Tommy move across the deck towards the gun. She moves to steady him, to let him lean against her a moment while the decide how to go about rescuing Max.

"He's underground, right 'neath us. So, we need to arm ourselves for a walk. We've got to find and enterence to the tunnel system, and then get back to him. And I'm sure he'll be locked up and he's feeling a might bloodied, so we'll need something to take care of doors, and a first aid kit, at the least."
Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
*
United States United States


"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #435 on: June 29, 2009, 12:31:20 am »

Brantley patted the thaumic blaster on his hip. "this thing'll vaporize almost anything, including a door. it's not as powerful as Tommy's lightning cannon, but it doesn't run out of batteries, either. unless I do, that is," he said with a shrug."just need to allow a few inutes between massively-devastating shots for it to charge back up."

"Tommy, you OK?" Brantley asked. "We could probably use that thing on this action, you just might want to ground yourself, maybe tie a drag cable to your ankle, or let a chain drag hang off of your waist."
Logged
Miss Cheshire Cat
Officer
***
United States United States


http://public4.tektek.org/img/av/0909/d06/2144/c7f


« Reply #436 on: June 29, 2009, 12:39:30 am »

"I can pick locks!" Evie added, then thought it was not the best thing to say when in a room full of new people. "I'm not quite great with a gun though... more of a hide-and-bludgeon type of girl. I'm great with long sticks and hammers. Also, don't worry about the warm welcome. I would have done the same."

She smiled. Evie was waiting for an adventure and figured these were the people to offer one. She leaned back, then realised her belongings were a mess. She stuffed the clock into the bag that waited in her spot of arrival, and picked up the few odds and ends that fell out of her wide pockets. Grinning sheepishly, she settled against the wall again.

Logged
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
******
Gibraltar Gibraltar


I am, therefore I think.


« Reply #437 on: June 29, 2009, 12:52:08 am »

To MW's suggestion that he bring the new rifle, Tommy shakes his head. "My Uncle left a note in the case...no good if the target's closer than fifteen meters...it'd take out you, me, Brandsson, everybody...I'll stick ta th' chatter gun an' my .45 fer close work, save th' Obliterator fer ship-ta-ship...I ain't in no hurry ta fire that thing again, anyhow."
Logged
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral
******
United States United States


Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #438 on: June 29, 2009, 01:22:23 am »

"Then I guess we're ready." She looked at the faces around her. Faces she hadn't know but a few days before. Some now that she loved, some now that she trusted, and some that she barely knew... "Unless, of course, there is a gun that I can borrow..."

Logged
Pixiepunk
Guest
« Reply #439 on: June 29, 2009, 01:40:32 am »

Sidebar -- Thanks for the chance guys!  Mundane life intrudes too much lately... sorry if I screwed anything up, just edit me out.  I'll still enjoy reading... it's going along great!  If there's anything I can do, just let me know, and I'll do my best...  Smiley
Logged
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
******
Gibraltar Gibraltar


I am, therefore I think.


« Reply #440 on: June 29, 2009, 01:48:33 am »

Tommy says "There's two .38 pocket revolvers in the case, my dear...you're welcome ta use 'em, if ya want. I'm gonna get the tommy-gun, and I'll bring 'em back to ya." He bends down, and gives her a quick kiss. "Fer luck," he whispers, grinning his crooked grin.
Logged
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral
******
United States United States


Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #441 on: June 29, 2009, 02:31:49 am »

She returns the kiss, smiling. "For luck." Her whisper is low as she watches him get the other firearms. She tucks the first aid kit into her coat, so that she can have both hands free for the weaponry.

With one last look around, she notices Athena, the Professor, and his friend haven't spoken up as to whether they will be coming along. "You all are welcome to stay, naturally. But now's the time to be ready t'leave, for any and all comin' with me to find Captain Brandsson."
Logged
Miss Cheshire Cat
Officer
***
United States United States


http://public4.tektek.org/img/av/0909/d06/2144/c7f


« Reply #442 on: June 29, 2009, 02:39:19 am »

Evie pulls a peculiar looking item from her bag, a mix between a wrench and a hammer with a long handle. She twists it in her hand and smiles. "I forgot I even had this. I'm guessing this is some friend, and I'll be happy to go."

She puts a few packages in her pockets, and looks to everyone. "I'm ready when you are."
Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
*
United States United States


"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #443 on: June 29, 2009, 02:58:31 am »

Sidebar: I'm hesitant to NPC anybody's character w/out permission; I cant seem to raise anybody who isnt already "here"  and posting (and I usually mess up and make them more OOC the more I NPC them in any case), so I'm going to, if no one objects, Pull a Doctor Who and put the Beau Rosin on "autopilot" and send it ahead by about thirty minutes (or more, or less, if you all prefer) and then have Brantley remote-drive it into where ever the group is so they can leave when the time comes.
Logged
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral
******
United States United States


Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #444 on: June 29, 2009, 03:40:03 am »

Sidebar: Hrm. I don't know how much "time" we can expect to need. I guess 30 minutes is good... unless we run into martians, of course Wink

As for everyone else, I suppose we just have to wait and see what they want to do!
Logged
Miss Cheshire Cat
Officer
***
United States United States


http://public4.tektek.org/img/av/0909/d06/2144/c7f


« Reply #445 on: June 29, 2009, 03:41:33 am »

Sidebar: I'm fine with that. And if I'm not here for an extended length of time, feel free to move me along. I don't mind at all.
Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
*
United States United States


"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #446 on: June 29, 2009, 04:51:34 am »

Sidebar:Oh...I have a scene in copy ready to paste for the thirty minute thing, but I can change that relatively easily if we need to have it for longer; brantley having remote control of the Beau, h ecould send it on its way again, beside, it's set for one phase behind, so nobody could get in unless they poppedin like Miss Evie.

----------------------------
Edit: I PM'd Pixie a bit ago and got an answer just now; I had suggested maybe we let Honey just sort of wander off (maybe she believes the others will fail if Larry sees her with the group, which would make him fight harder,thus causing the fight to end in defeat for the Beau Rosin crew) and then come back sometime later(months, if this lasts that long - but i didnt say that , not knowing the projected timescale).
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 05:03:13 am by MWBailey » Logged
fireheart storm
Zeppelin Captain
*****
United States United States


Monster hunter, researcher, & cyberjacques's rival


WWW
« Reply #447 on: June 29, 2009, 05:45:25 am »

"You couldn't stop me from going,"  Ms storm said and gave a confidant lopsided grin.  "Sides, who knows what kind of creepy crawlies may be about?"  She smoothed out the waist coat she was wearing, the binding still wound tight around her chest, notebook still in there, knives in place.

Sidebar:  I'm good with what ever works for all of ya Cheesy
Logged
OldProfessorBear
Zeppelin Overlord
*******
United States United States


Werebears RULE!


WWW
« Reply #448 on: June 29, 2009, 06:40:00 am »

"'Bertie' isn't a man of action," said the Professor, "and I'm a little old to be going out on lightning raids. I suggest we stay with the ship. We're perfectly capable of repelling boarders and so forth, and I think we can be more useful guarding the ship and picking you up at the right time. And you might well need some cover, come to that.

"As long as things stay quiet, though, we might be able to work out some answers while we're at it."

"Bertie" nodded and merely said, "Well, yes. Of course."

« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 06:41:38 am by OldProfessorBear » Logged

Another Entirely Reasonable Opinion from
Bill P_______, Nul.D. (Unseen U.), F.R.S.*, Restorer of Old Photographs,
Sexagenarian Boy Genius and SUPREME NERD GOD!!! (score=98)
Down in the Belly of Brooklyn, NY, US
* http://forum.retrofuturist.org
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
*
United States United States


"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #449 on: June 29, 2009, 06:53:50 am »

Brantley smirked, nearly a lopsided grin like 'Mr' Storm's, but too restrained to turn into a true smile. "Mr. Storm, I wouldn't dream of forbidding you, he said somewhat warmly, striving desperately to not treat the apparent 'man' like a woman and giving him away. Which probably means I'm failing miserably, Brantley growled mentally.Well, so much for the career on the stage...

He opened the cigarette case device, pushed a few buttons, slid a slider, til the unit emitted a "blip!" noise, and then pressed "execute." The three axes of causal probability that had begun to spin around the ship faded, leaving the phase wall in place. Brantley pressed a button with his thumb, and a circle of open air that did not shimmer like the rest of the phase wall appeared and became rapidly large enough for both men to re-enter. There you go, then, professor, and thank you, Brantley said.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 06:58:31 am by MWBailey » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... 36   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.20 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!
Page created in 0.035 seconds with 17 queries.