The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 14, 2018, 06:56:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 36   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Extended Steam Salon  (Read 72170 times)
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #325 on: June 23, 2009, 10:27:26 pm »

Sidebar: No problem here, ma'am...Gunn's moniker is fine as is. The various POV perspectives work pretty well as a plot device, or so it seems to me. Smoothing it out, editing for spelling errors, any bumps in the continuity...I think it sounds like a great idea. Let me know if there's any way I can help.

Thistlewaite

Sidebar: Well, more story is good! So long as everyone keeps posting, this project can continue Smiley

And I'm thinking there will be a bit of POV melding, for continuity. Action scenes will be the most likely to be heavily edited, just to make them easier to follow, as a reader.

Photo's of characters would be awesome, for those who haven't done so yet!

Action! Adventure! Possible Harlotry!
Abis do it for SCIENCE!
BrassGoggles 2012 Pin-Up Calander!
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #326 on: June 23, 2009, 11:07:51 pm »

Tommy and Abiliegh stand by the rail, looking down at the planet far below, as Brantley and the Professor slowly and carefully bring the Beau Rosin down through the atmosphere. Through a high layer of clouds, Gunn glimpses the outline of the east coast of the US. A few moments later, just a speck below them, he sees an aircraft, just a glimpse..it phases into view, and a moment later, phases out. It is of a type he does not recognize, very modern looking and sleek. Apparently, they are also dropping back through time as they descend towards Earth, for a few minutes later, he sees another, and this one is more familiar, and there is a slightly longer interval between the phasing. One hand on the railing, the other arm around Mrs. Cross, he thinks that this is a beautiful view, and he has a beautiful dame snuggling close, and for the time being, life is good. "We've sure had a run of luck," he muses,"All things considered, most of it's been good."
The ground gets closer, they descend through the cloud layers, and the next flying vehicle he spots is a zeppelin, similar in all respects to those he's used to seeing. This one stays, and he only loses sight of it as it moves into a cloud. "Must be close to bein' back in 'our' time," he says to Abiliegh. The terrain below rises, and begins to get greener and more mountainous. Far off on the horizon, he spots a plume of black smoke. "Steer for that column of smoke, Professor," Gunn says. "That'll be the Baron's Iron Furnace..from the air, you can spot it from 200 miles away."

Yet well thy soul hath brooked the turning tide, with that innate, untaught philosophy,Which, be it wisdom, coldness, or deep pride, is gall and wormwood to an enemy.
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #327 on: June 23, 2009, 11:29:41 pm »

The decent to earth is beautiful, and it's hard for her to keep her mind on track watching it while resting against Tommy.

She murmurs her agreement as he speaks, and once the boat is on the right path, she looks up to him. "Do y'know if there are any occultists in the area, Tommy? Good ones? I figure it's an avenue I can explore to find Captain Brandsson while you boys are outfitin' the ship..."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #328 on: June 23, 2009, 11:47:19 pm »

Sidebar: *has a mad fit and words pour out of mouth in a long rebellious stream of wet newsprint...*

Just Joking, LOL.

Make whatever changes fit; I have a few qualms, but they're probably just unimportant points. (keeping the weapons' period straight for which version of the Beau Rosin is being used, that and leaving the mauser with pulcifer back in the 1890s; I was thinking to bring pulcifer or the mauser or both forward at some point, the Mauser being the thing that appears first in the scene. but that might not be important.

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #329 on: June 23, 2009, 11:52:09 pm »

Sidebar: *has a mad fit and words pour out of mouth in a long rebellious stream of wet newsprint...*

Just Joking, LOL.

Make whatever changes fit; I have a few qualms, but they're probably just unimportant points. (keeping the weapons' period straight for which version of the Beau Rosin is being used, that and leaving the mauser with pulcifer back in the 1890s; I was thinking to bring pulcifer or the mauser or both forward at some point, the Mauser being the thing that appears first in the scene. but that might not be important.

sidebar: I plan on leaving everything i can in. Any changes made will be in the way of addition, deletion of quoted text and lines from others that people repeated in their posts, things of that nature. There will need to be a bit of cut and paste work, as some people have responded to multiple posts in one, but do not fear that I will take out anything important! And trust me, if I've got questions, I'll make sure to ask. I want this for all of us!
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #330 on: June 24, 2009, 12:32:47 am »

"An occultist?" Tommy rubs his chin, "Welll...I dunno know if ya could call her that, and it's been a few years, but she's probably still alive...there's this old woman up th' holler...Mother Robey...folks call her a witch. She's got th' 'second-sight,' folks say..." Tommy trails off, staring across the bow. Following the New River, badly named, for it may very well be the oldest river on earth, the Beau Rosin rounds a bend, and there it is... The Iron Furnace, Arms & Armour, unltd. The complex is enormous. Built into, across, and above a sheer three hundred foot cliff, with the river at its base, of native Virginia stone. A rail line parallels the river, and the structure dwarfs the large locomotives moving along the track, making them look like a child's toys.There is a dam just upstream, and several bridges and causeways span the river. Four huge stacks belch smoke and sparks into the air..the Furnace runs night and day, as it has for fifty years. Several ocean-spanning zeppelins are tied up to a series of mooring masts, one of them a  warship. "Customers," Tommy says simply. A half-mile away on another mast floats the Baron's personal ship, also heavily armed, an older model Dreadnaught class battle zep converted to a Research Vessel...or at least so says the Baron. The Aurora Borealis is a beautiful craft, like a battleship fitted out as a luxury liner. Even at a distance, the shine from the brass deck appointments gleams. Altogether, the complex is a magnificent and imposing sight. In the main bulk of the central structure, about two-thirds of the way up the cliff, there is a rectangular opening, easily big enough to accommodate the Beau Rosin. "I don't suppose this ship has a radio, does it?" Tommy calls out to Brantley. "It wouldn't be a bad idea to announce ourselves...otherwise, we'd better go over the top and around ta th' main gate...Uncle can be a bit abrupt when it comes to unexpected visitors."
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 12:38:17 am by Sgt.Major Thistlewaite » Logged
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #331 on: June 24, 2009, 01:07:09 am »

"Oh Tommy... It's glorious!" She leaned over the railing, trying to take in the entirety of the compound. With a wry smile and teasing voice, she added "Though, it occurs to me it might be kinda early for me to t'meet your family."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #332 on: June 24, 2009, 01:10:54 am »

A bit of music flitted through Mw's mind as the Beau Rosin approached teh Iron Furnace chimney:
...Well, he robbed the Glendale Train, stole from the rich,
and he gave to te poor,
He had a hand, and a heart, and a brain...

he was born one day, from down in the county clay...

He wasn't Jesse James, but he had been an outlaw, until the customs folks had claimed him 'way back in the early 1900s, and made him do for them what he'd been doing with Pulcifer's ship for nearly ten years, all alone, or so he'd believed. And then the martians had landed, and though he hadn't known it, that had sealed his fate. Never again would he ride against the law, but for it. Twenty years by normal reckoning, but by his personal bodily reckoning, he'd only been doing it for a year. and then he was fighting Welles's kinappers with two of teh staunchest comrades he'd ever had: Dusty Clinch and Martin Wallace, roughriders fresh from San Juan hill, sucked into the wake of a chronojammer and deposited into the midst of the biggest war that no one ever heard of.

he was over a hundred by normal earthly reckoning, but his travels back and forth in time had established his name in the records-- what little existed-- as far back as 1890, and as far forward as 2140. He wondered what Mrs. Cross, or Tommy, or the Capn would make of that; he tiought Ms Storm almost, but not quite, remembered him; he had been in that saloon that night back in teh 1890s when Pulcifer blew in and played the banjo and made the dregs of society dance.  

added to all of that was the fact that in actual mathematical and biological reality, he, Brantley, was only in his late 40's...

"Hell, I guess the only thing that really matters is that I'm alive to stop the Martians and the irresponsible time changer types one more time," he muttered to himself.

"Mother ROBEY?!" Brantley exclaimed, "Not the same one was there back in 1904, surely!"

"Let's hope she's forgotten the rawboned boy who stole her Roan and left her 300 dollars fresh from a train robbery to pay for him," he muttered... he realized he'd said that out loud, and glanced up quiockly to find Mrs,. cross, MS storm, and Gunn all looking at him as if he had three heads and one just cussed the president..."oops...uhhh, that's classified," he said, lamely.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 10:15:16 pm by MWBailey » Logged
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #333 on: June 24, 2009, 01:46:31 am »

She smiled, arching an eyebrow at Brantley. "Now I wonder if I ought t'wait and take all of us to visit her. Sounds like it could prove for an interesting afternoon..." She looked back to the armoury. "I think I might be able t'keep myself occupied while you play with this rig... Guns and time travel I'm familiar with, boats, not so much..."
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #334 on: June 24, 2009, 02:52:09 am »

Heeding Tommy's advice, the Professor takes the Beau Rosin up and over the top of the cliff, bringing it  alongside the clifftop portion of the complex, and setting it down in the extensive parking lot outside the fence, in a clear space. There are a fair number of vehicles in the lot, ranging from several Rolls-Royce SteamGhost Phantoms to two large traction engines, and one landclad halftrack. Tommy goes over to the guardshack and presents his ID. The guard takes it, speaks on the telephone, and a few moments later, rising up from somewhere inside the complex, a small gyrocopter clatters across the sky to them, and sets down beside the Beau Rosin. Hopping off spryly, a fellow steps quickly across the pavement, and grasps Tommy's big right hand with both of his, pumping it up and down while exclaiming, with a markedly noticeable British accent, "Tommy! Tommy my lad, so very good to see you! My word, you've gotten big!" Except for the white hair, thick, a bit long, and unruly, and the full white beard, he looks like Tommy..a little shorter, a bit more stout, but not a lot older. "And these are your friends, eh, eh?" Spying Mrs. Cross, he skips over to her, grasps her hand, executes a small but perfect bow, and kisses it. Looking back over his shoulder, he chirps quickly, "Well, don't stand there like a lummox, lad, introduce us, introduce us." Everything the man does is quick. He flashes a smile at Mrs. Cross...she gets the distinct impression that his teeth are made of stainless steel. Tommy says, "Well, folks, this is my great-Uncle, Thomas Elihue Thistlewaite, the Baron Luxborough." Introductions are made all around, and the Baron pumps the hands of the men, and kisses those of the ladies. "Now then, now then, what can I do for you, eh, what can I do for you?" Brantley explains briefly what he needs, and Thistlewaite hops up the ramp and onto the deck of the Beau Rosin. "Oh, hmmm, oh"...spying the controls, he exclaims,  "Chrono-jumper, eh...hey, I know this boat! This is Pulcifer's ship, in't it? Oh yes, oh yes." Pulling the lever beside the helm, he brings up the Gatling, "hmmm..hmmm, oh yes...upgrade, you need an upgrade, Sir...I can do that for you, oh yes.." The man is an absolute bundle of energy, and keeps up an almost steady stream of patter..." Well, Sir, most of what you require will be in Old Stock..no problem, no problem..Tommy, I'll send a steamercart out to you, you take Mr. Brantley around to the Old Stock section, and let him pick out what he needs..then you kids may head up the hill to Thistlewaite Hall, Tommy knows the way..I'll telephone up and have Cook prepare something for you..sorry, sorry, have to go...left the Duke of Patagonia waiting ...I'll be along shortly..Taa, taa, Toodle Pip!" And with that he skips back over to the little gyrocopter, spins the blade, rises rapidly, and is gone, back into the vast complex. "My gosh!" exclaims Brantley, "How old did you say he was, Tommy?" "Something over a hundred, nobody's really sure," Tommy answers. "He's always been just like that."
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #335 on: June 24, 2009, 03:33:34 am »

She accepts the kiss on her hand from the Baron, and he manages to get a genuine laugh out of her. She didn't really catch half of what he told Tommy, but she was simply along for the ride at this point. She watched his fly off in the gyrocopter.

"You don't say? He must be a bit of a time dabbler himself..."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #336 on: June 24, 2009, 04:08:35 am »

"Well... it's not really a surprise that he knows, or knew, Jack Pulcifer. That crazy dive-rammer got to know a lot of folks when he first started out, so they say. Funny, most people want to scuttle the Beau Rosin, if they remember Mad Jack..."
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 10:19:54 pm by MWBailey » Logged
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #337 on: June 24, 2009, 04:30:43 am »

"Not him, MW- he never met a ship he didn't like, an' he ain't picky about who he does business with. I don't think he's ever messed with time travel..at least, not so far as anyone in the family knows.." Tommy knows his great-Uncle's story, it's practically a family legend. "He brought some sort of potions back with him from his time with the Horse Marines in China. He's had most of his internal organs replaced with mechanical substitutes, he used to actually eat coal, but he hasn't done that in years..that's why he's got steel teeth, though. Made some kind of deal with the Curies, had all the old steam gear in his guts swapped out for something that runs on radium. Mostly now, he lives on Gin and sardines...don't ask me how he does it. He personally supervises every phase of production in this whole plant...I don't think he has.."Tommy grins, "time for time travel. He was born early in Queen Victoria's reign, he's been all over the world, but fifty years ago, he came here, and he built this.." Tommy sweeps his hand toward the munitions plant, " and he's been here ever since." The steamercart arrives, a flat, rectangular platform about twelve feet long, with a small single-piston steam engine, four wheels and a driver's seat, and Tommy asks, "Who wants to go see the inside o' this place with Brantley an' me?" He takes Abiliegh's hand, and says, "I know ya can take care o' yerself, doll, but ya might not wanna go up in that holler by yerself...folks around here are kinda funny about strangers. I mean, we don't really have ta hurry, do we? Brantley can just crank up his doo-hickey and take us back ta th' middle o' last week when we get done here, right?"

*note: Thistlewaite's back-story can be found starting on page two of the Warlords, Rogue Generals, Captains, Engineers, and Gentleman Adventurers Club.*
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 04:42:39 am by Sgt.Major Thistlewaite » Logged
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #338 on: June 24, 2009, 04:41:45 am »

"It might not be a terrible idea to talk with your uncle about ways to destroy Larry..." Her voice trailed, like she was thinking aloud, but she let him lead her. "I don't think I'll risk being labeled a stranger in a fortress like this, but we don't want to dally either. No tellin' what Max is going through right now. Even if we jump t'last week, he's still like to have suffered." Her brow knotted, and she looked to the mountains.

"Any chance we can get Mother Robey to meet with us 'ere?"
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #339 on: June 24, 2009, 04:57:03 am »

"Oh, it's not th' people here at th' Furnace ya have ta worry about, hon...it's th' hill people native ta these parts. Uncle T. has brought a lot of prosperity to this region, but even after fifty years, they still think of him as "the furriner feller." If we want to talk ta Mother Robey, we'll have ta go ta her..she don't leave that holler, ever, as far as I know...she'll remember me, I spent every summer here when I was a kid, and rode my pony all over these hills, so the people kinda got used ta me...they still thought of me as "That furriner's kin," but they liked me OK, I guess..I just don't think ya should go alone. Folks have been known ta disappear in these mountains, and it didn't have nuthin' ta do with time travel." He shrugs. "Brantley, if ya did somethin' Mother Robey didn't like, I hope she don't turn ya inta a toad...might be hard ta operate yer time machine if ya was a toad..."  Tommy hops onto the driver's seat of the steamercart.."All aboard, then..let's go get some guns.."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #340 on: June 24, 2009, 05:05:10 am »

Brantley looked up from making sure that he was secure in his seat, and then spied the pretty country girl, looking as if she were waiting to be invited. Give 'er a chance, boy, maybe she's not like all those others. "Miss Athena, would you like to accompany us?

HE turned to Tommy, and said, "I don't know whether you're kidding or not, Tommy, but I've known a few people got turned into animals, and a couple of 'em who did the turning. One of 'em was born in that hollow, and broke my heart the week before I took that horse. I did leave money for it, though..."

He trailed off, his eyes going misty with old memories as they trundled off to the Old Stock warehouses.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #341 on: June 24, 2009, 05:23:48 am »

Sidebar: Of the Nondescript Gentleman there exist, quite unaccountably, no photographic images, and representational depictions universally fail to agree on any but the most trivial details.

Should I change my mind and create an image of NG, I shall revise this post and provide a back-link from end of thread.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #342 on: June 24, 2009, 05:29:39 am »

"Yeh..yer right, MW...strange things happen up here in these hills..." the cart putt-putts into the foundry, and Tommy waves his hand toward the massive equipment surrounding them, "We've got the 'New Magic' here, and out there with yer Chrono-Jumper, but up in these mountains, th' 'Old Magic' still works..."
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #343 on: June 24, 2009, 05:40:28 am »

"I'm glad to hear it. Old magic is like to help us more than science now any way. The Captain has an odd way about him... slippery, I guess. We used to have more luck with a dowsing rod and a pendulum than with a chronotracker." She was far away, even though she was speaking to them. She fought back more memories of the old days. She didn't want to think about those times, not now, not when she could be happy...
Captain Brandsson
Zeppelin Admiral

"We've done the impossible, that makes us mighty."

« Reply #344 on: June 24, 2009, 04:20:12 pm »

I was just so damn tired.
Everything hurt and that kept me awake.
“May, 1941” Skinny was reading, now, and watching his meters and dials, “London.”
That wasn’t such a bad time, except for all the falling bombs.
I took a bullet, then, but there was this nurse.  A blond…
Skinny quirked a smile, “We are getting something.”
“Stay in the moment!” I reminded myself silently… What was that nurse’s name?
“We’ve almost got a lock.”
Edie?  Eva?  Ellie?  It bothered me I couldn’t remember.
Skinny was frantically turning knobs and flipping switches.  “He’s pulling us there!  Prepare for timeshift.”
She had such sad eyes…
“Timeshift in five…  four… three…  two…  one…”
“Stay in the goddamn moment!” I remembered my own words to myself and tried to bring my mind back.
“Shift!”

- Maximilian
OldProfessorBear
Zeppelin Overlord

Werebears RULE!

« Reply #345 on: June 24, 2009, 05:02:30 pm »

The Professor emerged from the cabin, where he'd been checking up on Miss Honey. "She's still out cold, but seems a bit restless now. I'm wondering if she'll come to before long.*

"I suggest we move her to more comfortable quarters now. In any case, while this ship is undergoing a refit, none of us will be able to stay on  her, so we might as well clear out now rather than later. May I recommend that we all take advantage of the Baron's hospitality before doing anything else, then hold a council so we can exchange our information and plans? That will also give the Baron's workmen a chance to do the preliminaries on the ship before Brantley specifies the major upgrades."

He then pointed out, "I'm sure the Baron has facilities here to tend the various wounds incurred recently, as well. We've been very lucky so far that none of them has turned septic.

"Gunn," he said, "do you think that would be acceptable to his nibs?"

_____
* There is some indication elsewhere that this might be possible ...

Another Entirely Reasonable Opinion from
Bill P_______, Nul.D. (Unseen U.), F.R.S.*, Restorer of Old Photographs,
Sexagenarian Boy Genius and SUPREME NERD GOD!!! (score=98)
Down in the Belly of Brooklyn, NY, US
* http://forum.retrofuturist.org
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #346 on: June 24, 2009, 06:07:23 pm »

The interior of the foundry is vast, cavernous..hundreds of men move purposefully about. Overhead, catwalks criss-cross the open space, and dominating and dwarfing everything on the Main Floor, is The Iron Furnace. Constructed of gigantic blocks of hewn stone, any of which would not look out of place in the base of the Giza pyramid, it towers above the floor, tapering towards the top in a way that makes it look even larger. Automatic stokers bring tons of coal up from the lower levels, where locomotives deliver it to enormous bunkers around the clock. The fires are immense, intense, white hot. Giant cauldrons on overhead rails are filled with glowing steel, and transport the molten metal to huge molds..as Tommy said, bigger in themselves than the Beau Rosin. Today, they are pouring the main guns for the warcraft tethered outside.
The little steamercart putts-putts past all this activity, finally arriving at a huge set of double doors, oak, three stories tall. Tommy dismounts the driver's seat, and going to a panel beside the doors, pulls a lever and the big doors swing slowly inward. "Welcome to 'Old Stock,'"says T.E. Stretching into the distance before them are shelves, hundreds of them, filled with brand new guns of every size and type, but all of antique design. "The Baron doesn't have many hard and fast rules," Tommy explains," but he has dealt with Time Travelers before, and one of the rules he imposes on himself and his customers is that he will never provide a Time Traveler with modern weapons, or any technology more advanced than the period from which the traveler originated." Brantley nods, "Precisely why the Baron has never run afoul of the Customs Bureau, in so far as cross-time smuggling is concerned...admirable." Tommy continues, "This is why he keeps this huge stock of 'old' munitions." Tommy trundles the cart further down the aisle..."Here are deck guns..." A little further, "And here are rail guns.." He pulls a clipboard out from under the seat of the cart. "Here, MW, just pick what you like, and make a note of their location. Stockers will come down here later and pull your selections for mounting." Brantley makes his selections, and they retrace their route back to the Beau Rosin. The Professor has remained with the boat, keeping an eye on the still unconscious Honey. In response to his inquiry regarding her situation, Tommy says, "I think that's an excellent idea, Professor. Let's put her on the steamercart, and head up ta th' main house, Thistlewaite Hall. I'm sure she'll be more comfortable there, and when Uncle T. arrives later, we'll speak ta him about her, as well as other things. He has a full medical staff here at the Furnace, and a well equipped infirmary."
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #347 on: June 24, 2009, 06:44:07 pm »

She kept out of the way while the boys handled the situation. Soon she found herself upon the steamercart once more, Honey's head in her lap, blonde hair pooling delicately. She wondered what kept the poor girl unconscious, never having seen anyone swoon for such a long time.

The cart bounced along, and she lost herself in her surroundings as they headed to Thistlewhaite Hall, and she couldn't stop her mind from bringing up all the pain she'd been workin so hard to keep buried.

<flashback>
"Boys, we're all wet! We gotta scram!" I hissed under my breath to Max, Billy and Larry.

Our little zeppelin began to dart through the streets almost immediately, Billy not being one to second guess me. It was good too, because in the next few moments, a volley of bullets could be heard. I could see the detective following in that jalopy of his, keeping up surprisingly well.

Another round of bullets. This time, a few hit their mark. There was a wheezing sound in the moment that we all looked up to the frame of the craft, eyes wide, fear etched on each and every one of us. The explosion wasn't a surprise.

When I woke up, I was in an alley. I could hear groans around me, and I could see a policelight flashing, getting closer, but slowly. The dick hadn't found us yet.

"Billy..." I called out. I saw his hand lift in response, dingy light reflecting off his wedding band. I scrambled over to him, hose and dress already ruined. He was hurt, that much was obvious. His clothing was tattered and smoldering, I couldn't define his legs from the cloth, and he was makin a wheezing noise that I couldn't bear to hear. I put his head in my lap, doing what little i could to make him comfortable. It wasn't like we were going anywhere, and maybe the detective would call for medical help.

"Abiliegh... I..."

"No, Billy. Don't speak. Save you're breath. We're gonna get you outta here."

He half smiled, half winced up at me, noding a little as I stroaked his hair. He coughed.
</flashback>

The steamercart sputtered to a stop, jarring Mrs Cross from her memories.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 06:47:11 pm by The Abiliegh » Logged
OldProfessorBear
Zeppelin Overlord

Werebears RULE!

« Reply #348 on: June 24, 2009, 10:28:54 pm »

The tattered party entered Thistlewaite Hall, where the butler directed them to a large, confortable sitting-room.

They sat.

As they got settled, someone asked the Professor, "What are you a professor of, sir?"

The Professor nodded and said, "Been wondering when someone would ask. I hold a very rare degree, a Nul.D. That's Doctor of Nullology, which translates as the study of nothing. More accurately, it's the study of things that are not. I was Chair of that department at ... let's just say a New England university ... for many years. I was finally eased out by a hostile administration, and the department abolished, and I was obliged to retire. Now, generally a retired professor may be designated a Professor Emeritus; I, however, was granted the status of Professor Demeritus. So you can see how highly they thought of me."

Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #349 on: June 24, 2009, 10:49:38 pm »

Directing the others to the large and open sitting room off the South porch, the majordomo, Willoughby, takes T.E. aside, and says, "Master Tommy...how excellent it is to see you, young Sir! I wondered if indeed you would ever return...my, you've gotten big!" The old butler has been in Thistlewaite's service as long as Gunn can remember. "Willoughby," he says," can we get Miss Honey settled in somewhere, and see if ya can get one of the doc's from down at th' Furnace ta come take a look at her?" "Certainly. sir, certainly. The Baron telephoned up, and Cook has prepared a meal for yourself and your companions..should I have it served in the sitting room?" Tommy nods, "That will be just fine, Willoughby. Thank you."
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 36   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: