The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 27, 2021, 05:55:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Paris, anyone?  (Read 1888 times)
Lady Captain Regina
Deck Hand
United States United States

« on: May 22, 2009, 08:22:16 pm »

I am going to Paris the first week in June. It didn't occur to ask until now if anyone might have any suggestions of this to see that might be on the steamier side. We are staying in Montmartre so Moulin Rouge is a definite as well as a trip to the opera house. Any other highlights to hit?

Merci!
Pheobsky
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 12:18:57 am »

It's a little cliché and touristy, but still definitely worth a visit; the Sacré-Coeur- plus it has the most amazing view! Also the paris metro can be amazingly steamy at times!

Them/they
Differential Engineer
Deck Hand
France France

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 07:15:15 pm »

hmmm, i find the "sacré coeur" idea a little... meh (especially the signification behind this building)
So, as a parisian (and for my first post down here, nothing less :p ) i can give you a few addresses steam-flavored.
Obviously, at first, you have the "tour Eiffel" , with many permanent exhibitions in the first and second level (and it's also an awesome piece of structural and technological achievement), but, as the most visited monument in the world, it will be a little, well, crowded.

Next, and you're lucky, there is a free exhibition about Eiffel works during his life  :
7 may to 29 august

Hôtel de Ville - Salle Saint Jean
5, rue de Lobau - 75004 Paris

Métro : Hôtel de Ville

everyday but sunday and holidays, 10h00 to 19h00.

And last, you have the "musée des arts et metiers" (be sure to see the metro station arts et metiers, line 11, you'll be surprised.)
basically, it's a museum of technological and mechanical wonders.

So, well, enjoy !
Lady Captain Regina
Deck Hand

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 08:32:13 pm »

Thanks much!

I was wondering about the Eiffel Tower and just how crowded it would be. But I would love to see it up close and personal!

These all sound great! I hadn't known about the Musée des arts et metiers. I will add it to my ever growing list.

Merci! Merci beaucoup.
TimeTinker
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Steampunk Facilitator MVSS

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 08:57:51 pm »

If you have any interest in the military and Napoleon in particular you must visit Les Invalides et Musee de l'Armee.

Of course the Tour Eiffel is an essential but the tourists are a pain. The walk along towards the Arc d'Triomphe and the Tower can be delightful on a summer evening but whatever you do don't try driving in Paris - scaaaaary!

Bonsoir Differential Engineer - I am considering a visit to the Musee Carnavalet on my next visit. Have you been? I would be interested in your opinion.

Tinker

BE SPLENDID!
Lady Captain Regina
Deck Hand

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 02:31:56 am »

Yes, I heard that even if you're not into the miletary et al, it is a must see.
We like going on long walks so the Arc d'Triomphe walk is nice to know.

Thanks ever so!

Au revoir!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: