The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
June 19, 2019, 08:49:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: steampunk door beads?  (Read 3925 times)
Mina
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Steampunk seraphim, femme fatale

jaimie_lee93
« on: May 15, 2009, 03:06:27 am »

i have this - thing - where i have to have strands of beads hanging in my bedroom door. it's kind of a security thing, i can always hear when someone is opening my door and/or entering my room.

currently my door beads are blue and green tear drops, and look like water, but they need to change as 1) they're not very steamy and 2)they no longer match my bedroom.

the walls in my room are a light sage green, and my desk/dresser is a rich dark brown color. any ideas for where i can find/how i can make some nice steamy door beads?

Come take my journey into night
    Come be my shadow, walk at my side
    And when you see all that I have seen
    Can you tell me love from pride?
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 03:36:12 am »

um well, call me simple but wouldn't brass and wood work. What's more is if you look you could probably find a bunch of little brass bells to hang on the ends.

lilibat
Rogue Ætherlord

gamer geek goth girl

lilibat
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 06:44:28 am »

Wood beaded curtain

You could get that and add in some brass beads to some of the strands.

Lucifargundam
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 06:57:30 am »

maybe some blue-green cog beads made of clay? its decently easy to make door beads if you have string, a piece of wood moreless as wide as ur door and some clay along with the paint for the beads.
Mina
Snr. Officer

jaimie_lee93
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 09:17:27 pm »

Wood beaded curtain

and where would one find said brass beads? my local hobby shop does not seem to carry any...
Pheobsky
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

A Gentleman.

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 09:45:15 pm »

Personaly I'd go for pretty glass beads- often things that aren't necessarily steampunk by themselves will look alot more at home and steampunky in the right context- often more so than things that are individually steamy. That said, a smattering of brass beads would definitely help it along- I just think that all brass beads wouldn't be so attractive....
Beaded curtains always put me in mind of the opium dens of the 'east end' when in conjunction with victorian settings, smokey mysterious and luxurious Grin

There's nothing finer than going to the 192O's for a dance!
Mina
Snr. Officer

jaimie_lee93
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 10:01:22 pm »

Personaly I'd go for pretty glass beads- often things that aren't necessarily steampunk by themselves will look alot more at home and steampunky in the right context- often more so than things that are individually steamy. That said, a smattering of brass beads would definitely help it along- I just think that all brass beads wouldn't be so attractive....
Beaded curtains always put me in mind of the opium dens of the 'east end' when in conjunction with victorian settings, smokey mysterious and luxurious Grin

well, i don't know about luxurious... =D
Pheobsky
Zeppelin Captain

A Gentleman.

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 10:18:28 pm »

Well maybe not, 'complementing a lifestyle of decadence' perhaps is more apt Tongue
I was originaly going to say 'luxurious squalor' but I felt that that probably wasn't what you were aiming for Grin
Mina
Snr. Officer

jaimie_lee93
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 03:34:21 am »

Well maybe not, 'complementing a lifestyle of decadence' perhaps is more apt Tongue
I was originaly going to say 'luxurious squalor' but I felt that that probably wasn't what you were aiming for Grin

oh, thats perfectly fine  Grin
nathe
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 08:01:22 am »

you could always make it out of small u joints, not sure where you'd get them from.

and have electromagnets along the side to pull them across at the press of a button Cheesy
Lucifargundam
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 08:17:02 am »

I still think the easiest way out is using clay and paint.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 08:20:26 am »

Wood beaded curtain

and where would one find said brass beads? my local hobby shop does not seem to carry any...

In his Wimshurst Machine article in Make: #17, Mr. von Slatt uses assorted spherical brass lamp pulls as electrodes. You might find these at a well-stocked hardware shop or retail electricians' supplier, or possibly a specialty home lighting retailer. I agree with Pheobsky's opinion that using brass beads exclusively would be an unfortunate decision; however, a single row of brass bottom-weights might, I suspect, provide a pleasing accent, both visually and aurally.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Derranged-Gadgeteer
Snr. Officer

Only going to live twice

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 05:21:58 am »

may I suggest,

acquiring 18-14 gauge brass or copper wire. (steamy colors)
Winding said wire tightly onto a 1/4-3/8" diameter mandrel.  (a steel rod should do)
Cutting the resulting coils into individual round links. (tin snips work the quickest, but wire cutters will work too.)
Using pliers to make long chains of said links. (you'll want it just short of the floor for safety reasons)
Hanging said chains from whatever you currently hang your beads from.
?

These will make your room look quite steamy indeed.  As the links corrode, they will go from gaudy and shiny to aged and unobtrusive too.

Updated as often as practical.  Worth a visit.
Pheobsky
Zeppelin Captain

A Gentleman.

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 01:05:07 pm »

hmm- I'd be cautious about using chains (visualy, not health and saftey wise) as they may well give the appearance of a butchers... on the other hand they could look very good.
LostHorizons
Gunner

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2009, 05:16:54 pm »

You can order massive boxes of gears on Ebay for not very much, or you can go to a flea market (if there are any nearby), buy clocks, and perform a few dissection sessions for the gears. Gears in lieu of beads for your door sounds fairly steam.

Dark green, flawed, cylindrical glass beads can look like old-fashioned resistors. Put them on copper-colored headpins, cut the head of the headpin off, and bend the ends into loops. That keeps the bead in place, and you can hang it from something or hang something from it, or both. (Extremely heavy things might bend the loops out of shape, so be mindful of how much weight will be hanging from your 'resistor'.) You can also wrap the bead part in copper-colored wire for a more mechanical look.

Old fashioned keys or even wind-up keys from old wind-up toys also look steampunk. Ask antique stores if they have anything of the sort. Antique stores might also have loose gears or broken things with gears in them that can be salvaged. I've boxes of old keys lying about the house, and no one has the faintest idea of what they belong to. They can be attached with jump rings, or you can just pass the thread through an existing hole.

Antique stores have everything. Good luck!

Ours was a city of lost horizons and towering stories... A city of front and back, a city of light and shadow.

-MirrorMask
Nikola Tesla
Zeppelin Captain

Angel of Timefoolery

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2009, 03:23:21 am »

... that using brass beads exclusively would be an unfortunate decision...

Not to mention expensive!

I like the row of brass bottom-weights idea; the ones on the bottom don't even need to be beads.  They could just be tied in the ends.  That might also be a fantastic place for a few cogs, or even keys, though they'd be less visible there than, say, interspersed through the bead set.

Thinking this way you may even be able to steam up the bead curtain you've already got, to make it more opium-den and less hippy pad, or to just make it more quirky and steampunky than it started out.  A lot of times, it's the context in which an object is found that does the trick.

"An announcement that a poetry-reading is about to take place will empty a room quicker than a water-cannon." - Daniel C. Stove, The Oracles and Their Cessation

Remember, if it's the Warden Regulant asking, you did NOT see this.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2009, 04:47:20 am »

wow haven't seen this thread in a while.

Um I was just reminded of something:

Take brass wire and bend a small peice in half and coild into a spiral disk. curl a little look in the ends in one up one down fashion and give a light pull in opposite directions.

You end up with a spiral twist brass bead that you could probably pop a glass marble or wooden bead in if you desired.
Dasai
Officer

Fancy a spot of space tea?

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2009, 07:35:17 am »

you could always make it out of small u joints, not sure where you'd get them from.

and have electromagnets along the side to pull them across at the press of a button Cheesy

That's a BRILLIANT idea, and I must get to work on it immediately.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: