The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 18, 2017, 02:07:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Victorian and Steampunk Crossdressing  (Read 52682 times)
Mr. Boltneck
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #75 on: June 12, 2009, 11:09:32 pm »

Miss Cheshire Cat, while I certainly leave the choice up to you, if you wish to actually disguise yourself as a male dandy, Steampunk offers an ideal solution to your stated obstacles. Wear a mask (look around at the steamy gas-mask type designs) with a built-in voice changer, and neither features nor voice will betray you.
Miss Cheshire Cat
Officer

http://public4.tektek.org/img/av/0909/d06/2144/c7f

« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2009, 02:15:17 am »

Why thank you, I had considered a mask, but never a voice changer. I believe I may throw that into the pile of potential projects after the ones I have already lined up.

I apply my personality in a paste- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Mr. Boltneck
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2009, 08:03:37 pm »

Just remember to practice phrases like "I find your lack of faith...disturbing" once you have the voice-changer tuned.
Victorian Anachronist
Gunner

« Reply #78 on: June 16, 2009, 06:13:55 am »

I posted the new boots I got in the "Show me your boots!" thread on page 7.

I helped my friend Anna draft a drawers pattern, cut it out, and partially assemble them today. She's picking up fast, and I'm pleased with her progress. I also started tracing off the pattern for my new shirtwaist....it should be done by the end of next week, if I hurry!  Grin
Rosel
Zeppelin Captain

Natural Historian, Bluestocking, Translatrix,

« Reply #79 on: June 16, 2009, 11:04:32 am »

You look really good!

@ Pheobsky, you could possibly get away with it with some skillful make-up and styling.

@ those with beards, I'd love to see a really nicely turned out 'woman'  with a little moustache or neat beard. Very music hall.

By the standards of the day my preferred ensemble (waist coat, shirt (sometimes ties) and skirt) would have been veiwed as stridently masculine; a virago.

I love mens tailoring and things like cuff links and collars and cravats, but I can't stand to wear trousers. this is why I like to dress steampunk rather than strictly retro.

The fashion for white skirts and tailored skirt in the 1890s (and carried right on til the 20s) was seen as a defeminisation and just plain wrong, things did change, by the 1910s a suit was pretty respectable wear for a woman.

Tanuki
Officer

Pirate and Master of Ceremonies

« Reply #80 on: June 17, 2009, 08:21:24 pm »

I crossdress as my primary method of attire. To wit:

An early attempt, at a LARP
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A few months later on, with slightly better-passing attire

And last night, from what appears to be a Civil War-era bunker of some kind

Untitled Steampunk rap album coming soon
Orwin
Officer

Typical Dabbler of Various Things

« Reply #81 on: June 18, 2009, 09:01:11 am »

I get slightly boggled sometimes when females talk of FtM crossdressing.  I think my mind may just doesn't process gender based clothing in that direction.  But then, I don't really get why people bother wearing dresses and skirts these days.  I'd have been one of those crazy people just telling everyone to wear pants like someone sensible back in the day.

That said, I have worn a gown before.  I had made it myself, though it still needs work.  Now that I no longer need it for it's previous function maybe I'll see about steaming it up... finding a corset to put over it would cetainly help my problem with lazy fitting. (made from a somewhat stretchy material that pulls the sides of the body away from the waist due to the eight f the skirt.  'Tis a right pain to deal with.

Would also be handy.  I have size 13.5 feet, that makes it rather hard to find woman's shoes for in the appropriate style. 

Of more direct relevance:  very nicely done Tanuki!  I must admire your nicely groomed beard!
Rosel
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #82 on: June 18, 2009, 10:44:24 am »

But then, I don't really get why people bother wearing dresses and skirts these days.  I'd have been one of those crazy people just telling everyone to wear pants like someone sensible back in the day.

I find trousers restrictive and uncomfortable so i wear skirts, I don't see why everyone doesn't do this most eminently sensible thing too, because if i find it convienent then obviously it must be the best thing for everyone. Roll Eyes Shocked
Orwin
Officer

Typical Dabbler of Various Things

« Reply #83 on: June 18, 2009, 01:48:14 pm »

because if i find it convienent then obviously it must be the best thing for everyone. Roll Eyes Shocked

Precisely, so you do understand!

In all honestly I don't see how people move in skirts though.  They're horrid for most forms of physical activity beyond a simple walk, and tend to get caught in mechanical processes if you don't spend extra attention to them.  Unless you get into the range of sort skirts and kilts of course... then it mostly just depends on the workable level of modesty involved.
Rosel
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #84 on: June 18, 2009, 02:29:47 pm »

Roll Eyes
Tanuki
Officer

« Reply #85 on: June 18, 2009, 07:10:02 pm »

Of more direct relevance:  very nicely done Tanuki!  I must admire your nicely groomed beard!

'tis an art, to be sure. Thank you^^
Miss Evangeline Tea
Deck Hand

« Reply #86 on: July 01, 2009, 05:02:48 am »

I've found wearing skirts whatever the length or style,  Is simply a matter of practiced grace.  Personally and this is only my opinion.  I find the right skirt adds a bit of mystery and elegance that in today's Fashion is sometimes lacking.  I also enjoy wearing pants. Finding both options equally appealing and strictly based on my mood for the day.  In the defense of skirts, it should be noted that while it takes a bit of getting used too.  There is in reality very little  that you can do in pants that you can't manage in skirts.   I should also mention  that  the riding skirt  is perhaps the best blend of the two.  I hope you might consider them an option in you choice of dress.

Tanuki,   with each picture your skill improves.  I think you look dashing in your masculine attire.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 05:04:57 am by Miss Evangeline Tea » Logged
fireheart storm
Zeppelin Captain

Monster hunter, researcher, & cyberjacques's rival

« Reply #87 on: July 01, 2009, 05:26:09 am »

because if i find it convienent then obviously it must be the best thing for everyone. Roll Eyes Shocked

Precisely, so you do understand!

In all honestly I don't see how people move in skirts though.  They're horrid for most forms of physical activity beyond a simple walk, and tend to get caught in mechanical processes if you don't spend extra attention to them.  Unless you get into the range of sort skirts and kilts of course... then it mostly just depends on the workable level of modesty involved.

I personally find a little longer than knee length to be ideal  ( I am an active person)  I wear a pair of shorts underneath  I even have a few skirts that have pockets!

Tanuki
Officer

« Reply #88 on: July 01, 2009, 06:07:42 am »

Tanuki,   with each picture your skill improves.  I think you look dashing in your masculine attire.

Thank you dearly, madam *bows*. ^_^
teainwonderland
Gunner
Canada Canada

Does your mother know you're here with me?

teainwonderland
« Reply #89 on: February 12, 2010, 06:26:50 pm »

To the OP: Gorgeous dress!! Looks stunning on you.

I have to close male friends who crossdress, one bi and one straight - one simply wears some women's clothing or a mix, but doesn't try to LOOK female (he's got a lot of beard going on). The other Uses a corset and falsies to get a more feminine figure, wears makeup, etc.

Personally I love to mix masculine and feminine elements, and I think especially if I were to dress steampunk. (And I just love the look of a lady in well-tailored menswear of times past.)
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #90 on: February 12, 2010, 07:18:55 pm »

on halloween I wore a female witch costume partly because after becoming ill years ago I ended up with a figure, that while tall measures near perfectly to womens ideal proportions, and my weight is a bit under ideal so I look very slim, fragile and hourglass.

(I'm 6'2" 150 lbs, with 36-28-36 chest-waist-hips, 32" inseam) I figured I should have fun with it.

But my face tends to look like the paintings of Jesus in the last supper or on the cross. I actually hear that way too often, it grates a bit.

I'm sure that I could shave and use some techniqes to obscure some of the masculinity (my chin is a bit long, my nose has a high boney bridge and is decidedly one of the hardest features to obscure, and my ridge is obviously masculine). I've mainly wondered if I could fool anybody, and that's really my only interest in the subject. The illusions and the exploration of false concrete boundries in society.

I think if a person was truely skilled in the art of crossdressing and passing that the ultimate test would be (in the case of MtF at anyrate) to be able to pass as a woman in mens clothing. Sort of a man that appears to be a woman trying to look like a man but not succeeding very well. The depth to pulling off that illusion awes me, while the idea that the man would essentially be attempting to look like his natural gender and not being believed tickles my sense of humour.

Mad Marion
Deck Hand

Marion, Madman Librarian

Lysine
« Reply #91 on: February 15, 2010, 02:28:52 am »

OP: You look positively lovely, and remarkably convincing!

I'm genderqueer, leaning more towards the male end of things (as evidenced by my mustachioed pic), so I crossdress most of the time. I like feminine clothes quite a lot though, and when I'm wearing a skirt I feel more like I'm crossdressing than when I'm wearing pants. So I can crossdress both mentally and physically!

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.
Gizenshi
Gunner
Latvia Latvia

teapunk

mazzerin
« Reply #92 on: May 03, 2010, 04:11:59 pm »

Anachronist, you look beautiful! And those dresses are fabulous, I envy your skills and patience!
Kelley
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #93 on: May 03, 2010, 07:23:07 pm »

These are very old, rough, and in need of re-writing, but :

Male to Female makeup

Female to Male makeup

Also, such advice is only general, and there are many individual special problems that arise when any certain combination of features occur.

I admit, I don't do drag / cross-dressing much any more - I do have an ambiguous birthday planned - but it's although it involves too much make-up, it's not actually cross-dressing.
EliseVonTempest
Snr. Officer

You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!

« Reply #94 on: May 03, 2010, 09:37:20 pm »

Dear Mr(s). Alex,
I find you to be quite stunning in that outfit. I've always enjoyed and envied people that are able to crossdress, my chest and over all buxom appearance prevents me from doing so. As for you mention of shoes I can co-sympathize. I wear size 12 US womens as well and, beinf only 5'3", has led to me being labelled the hobbit in my SCA circles. I always try looking at stores like, surprise, Lolita's or The Outer Skin, both of which are adult stores. They often have large sized shoe, unfortunately (for you, not me) they also have very tall heels.
Much Love,
Elise.

I don't take coffee I take tea, my dear... And manner's maketh man as someone said... Takes more then combat gear to make a man, more then a liscense for a gun. Confront your enemies, avoid them when you can. A gentleman will walk but never run.
Mad Maudlin
Snr. Officer

Defenestratrix

« Reply #95 on: May 08, 2010, 02:26:49 am »

*jumping in late* I'd just like to say that guys always have fun when they cross-dress, and they look sexy when they have fun when they cross-dress.

To Hell with ponies, I want an Airship!
"...If I ever see anyone in a ‘sexy clockwork automaton’ costume they picked up off a supermarket shelf I’m going to beat them to death with their plastic cog mini-skirt..."
-Dylan Fox in issue 7 of <i>SteamPunk</i> magazine
Doctor Rowley
Gunner

« Reply #96 on: May 08, 2010, 05:11:29 am »

I dressed as Emma in her maid uniform from the second season for Youmacon '09.

I love your work; you make a fabulous Victorian lady.

Are you thinking of going to the World Steam Expo?

Dr von Zarkov
Zeppelin Captain

<Maddest Scientist>

« Reply #97 on: May 08, 2010, 09:14:34 pm »

From Black and WTF come these vintage images of cross-dressing and undefined gender:

"The fact that I wear the protective coloration of sedate citizenship is a ruse of the fox — I learned it long ago."
– Loren Eiseley
Mrs. Coppernut
Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #98 on: May 08, 2010, 09:59:27 pm »

Dr, I'm pretty sure at least one of those pictures is a real lady with a beard  Cheesy
The sixth image I believe.

Full speed ahead Mr. Copperpants!
Gin-Shakespear
Deck Hand

« Reply #99 on: May 09, 2010, 04:13:39 am »

I must say you look absolutely lovely--and I'm incredibly jealous of your shoes!

I've dabbled with cross dressing before (F to M) in the past, but only recently tried it with Steampunk/Victoriana. I think I prefer that to cross dressing in modern clothing, because 19th century men's clothing is a bit more elaborate, refined and dashing. Of course dressing up like a Victorian lady also feels like drag to me (what with all the corsets, petticoats, boots, wigs and makeup) since I don't usually wear girly clothes on a daily basis.

There's a pretty interesting book about F to M cross dressing in the 19th century is called "Women in Pants" by Catherine Smith and Cynthia Greig. I heard about it in forums--it's full of wonderful photos and historical info.

I am a bit of a sucker for a lady with slicked back hair in men's trousers...(Runs off to purchase book...)

XOX, Gin

www.SteamBathFactory.etsy.com -Maker of bath and beauty debauchery.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: