The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 25, 2019, 11:32:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 41   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Princess Seraphina Tea Room for distinguised ladies  (Read 64746 times)
ladyelsie
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #125 on: May 01, 2009, 10:41:03 am »

Icky, Dusky pink or silver grey is lush, have you seen the grey shot silks that are around . they are fab, I saw one grey shot with lilac very smart . Thinking about accessorising with darker hat etc. hope that helps. L.E.
Countessa Lenora
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

CountessaLenora
« Reply #126 on: May 01, 2009, 11:57:55 am »

I still have some frozen blackberries in our freezer from our bushes...with gin....wheels turning...

I would go with grey and agree with the darker accessories.

Proud to be a Canadian Steampunk
Violet Rose
Snr. Officer

« Reply #127 on: May 01, 2009, 12:12:42 pm »

I'm rather partial to frozen strawberry myself, or kiwi fruit. Mmm. Delicious!

Ladies - I have a wedding reception coming up. No, not my own, but that of a dear friend. While I'm sure he wouldn't so much as blink at me dressed head-to-toe in dark shades - afterall, we have been friends for many years - I do suspect that their family would not appreciate it.
I most certainly need a new dress for it, yet I don't want to feel uncomfortable. I'm very pale and find bright colours are often terribly unflattering for me.

I have a very curvy figure and believe a 50s style halterneck dress with a bolero or shrug will be most flattering, but I'm still struck for colour. I would like something that accentuates my natural leaning towards the dark yet is unlikely to upset the in-laws.
Perhaps a dusky pink, or shades of grey?
Yes - go for what I call dirty pastels - dusty pink, grape, gooseberry, slate blue...
What is your hair colour ?

I'm in Darkshines sewing swap!

Declaring war on mediocrity and a pox on the foot soldiers of stupidity
Icky
Zeppelin Captain

Yet another goth girl

« Reply #128 on: May 01, 2009, 12:32:06 pm »

I'm not all that fond of fruity alcohols, although I'm rather tempted to try raspberry gin after reading your posts!

Yes - go for what I call dirty pastels - dusty pink, grape, gooseberry, slate blue...
What is your hair colour ?
Black. I have a solid fringe/bangs, and tend to tease and scruff up the rest of my hair  - oops, is my Goth showing?  I may consider the same "charming mess", although possibly with ribbons or hair accessories in the same colour as my dress. Annndddd... jewellery that is a garnet shade, or a deep purple perhaps?

I love the "dirty pastel" idea, those are some of my favourite colours. I may buy a simple dress with the right fit as a base and modify it to suit my taste - surely it wouldn't be too difficult to add an overlayer of lace or fabric in the appropriate colour.

Oh, I love forming outfits. It's even more fun than wearing them!

Ostentatious, and pretentious
Violet Rose
Snr. Officer

« Reply #129 on: May 01, 2009, 02:46:11 pm »

I hope you will post a picture of the finished outfit so that I can rip off your ideas I mean, so we can admire the finished ensemble
Lady Felis
Gunner

« Reply #130 on: May 02, 2009, 04:51:03 pm »

Handbag you say?

Well I like to keep my strudy bag as light as a feather so it contains:

Filofax
Compact Camera
Wallet
Coin Purse
Card Wallet
USB stick
Lip salve
Tub of moisturiser
Menthol sweets
House keys
work keys
work pass
business cards in case
2 pens in leather case
painkillers
folding ruler
and currently a pair of shades

*sips tea*

I am reassured any ne'er do well will get a hefty thump when it is used in my defense

Lady Felis

"We'll murder them all amid laughter and merriment.
Except for the few we take home to experiment."
Violet Rose
Snr. Officer

« Reply #131 on: May 04, 2009, 05:45:31 pm »

True.
I usually carry a brick in mine for those occasions when I do not have a hatpin to hand.

Countessa Lenora
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

CountessaLenora
« Reply #132 on: May 05, 2009, 12:10:50 pm »

I have a small bag that won't fit a brick, but a hatpin is a good weapon of choice, especially in times when one needs to be stealthy. Of course my muff is big enough for a brick, so maybe in the winter...hmmmm
lilibat
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

gamer geek goth girl

lilibat
« Reply #133 on: May 05, 2009, 01:47:35 pm »

I usually have some precision screw drivers with me, STABBY STABBY!

darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #134 on: May 05, 2009, 02:39:13 pm »

Meh, I'm a mesmerist, a few passes with my hand and I could makes their hearts explode.

Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

www.etsy.com/shop/celticroseart
jarmara
Snr. Officer
England England

Tea anyone?

« Reply #135 on: May 05, 2009, 03:16:29 pm »

I'm rather partial to frozen strawberry myself, or kiwi fruit. Mmm. Delicious!

Ladies - I have a wedding reception coming up. No, not my own, but that of a dear friend. While I'm sure he wouldn't so much as blink at me dressed head-to-toe in dark shades - afterall, we have been friends for many years - I do suspect that their family would not appreciate it.
I most certainly need a new dress for it, yet I don't want to feel uncomfortable. I'm very pale and find bright colours are often terribly unflattering for me.

I have a very curvy figure and believe a 50s style halterneck dress with a bolero or shrug will be most flattering, but I'm still struck for colour. I would like something that accentuates my natural leaning towards the dark yet is unlikely to upset the in-laws.
Perhaps a dusky pink, or shades of grey?

try looking here
http://www.vivienofholloway.com/
and here
http://www.dollydagger.co.uk/

both these sites have clothes that are fantastic and mouth watering.

"If you are cold,Tea will warm you.
If you are too heated,It will cool you.
If you are depressed,It will cheer you.
If you are excited,It will calm you." Gladstone.
garingling
Zeppelin Captain

Smile, let them think you're up to something.

« Reply #136 on: May 05, 2009, 05:57:43 pm »

There is often a box cutter or mini leatherman in my possesion. Grin

G is for gorgeous
E is for exciting
O is for odd (in the best possible way!)
R is for remarkable
G is for gentle
I is for intelligent
A is for awesome
Violet Rose
Snr. Officer

« Reply #137 on: May 05, 2009, 07:13:20 pm »

Do you find the tools as efficacious as the full size (I confess I am rather suspicious that anything mini might not be up to the job) ?
How does it compare with a swiss penknife?
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #138 on: May 05, 2009, 10:41:42 pm »

Of course my muff is big enough for a brick, so maybe in the winter...hmmmm

Err..I think that M'lady should know that muff is UK slang for a ladies' intimate area.

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Herr Döktor
Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
Governor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #139 on: May 05, 2009, 10:44:39 pm »

Of course my muff is big enough for a brick, so maybe in the winter...hmmmm

Err..I think that M'lady should know that muff is UK slang for a ladies' intimate area.

[pokes head 'round door from the Smoking Room] You had to go and spoil it, didn't you?!   Angry[/pokes etc.]

Countessa Lenora
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

CountessaLenora
« Reply #140 on: May 06, 2009, 02:51:21 am »

My goodness - I was referring to this of course:
"A muff is a fashion accessory for outdoors usually made of a cylinder of fur or fabric with both ends open for keeping the hands warm. It was introduced to women's fashion in the 1500s and was popular with both men and women in the 17th and 18th century. By the early 1900s muffs were used in England only by women."
Being a lady I won't inform you that my other 'muff' would not accommodate a brick  Wink
Lady Felis
Gunner

« Reply #141 on: May 06, 2009, 08:54:04 am »

Some of us Brits, know that a Lady is not being rude when she refers to her Muff.

*tsk* and they call themselves Gentlemen ;p

Lady Felis
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #142 on: May 07, 2009, 02:13:27 am »

Another question, ladies, my hair is cut in a modern bob style, but after researching victorian styles, especially formal, it would seem the done thing was to wear ones hair up. I cannot even get mine in a ponytail! I don't want to look to young! Can you recommend a style/solution for me?
AlandraD
Snr. Officer

Lady of Leisure

« Reply #143 on: May 07, 2009, 02:22:17 am »

hair pinned back behind the ears and don a tiny hat, perhaps with a 1/2, covers 1/2 of face, or or 1/4 lace veil, lays to the side and covers one eye. with the 1/4 you could pin back one side of your hair, make it look more ... *thinks*... sultry?

Remember, if you tilt the tiny hat slightly askew, it looks as though you're always tipping your hat.
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #144 on: May 07, 2009, 02:25:35 am »

I do have a few fascinators and hats.....
garingling
Zeppelin Captain

Smile, let them think you're up to something.

« Reply #145 on: May 07, 2009, 03:19:22 am »

Do you find the tools as efficacious as the full size (I confess I am rather suspicious that anything mini might not be up to the job) ?
My mini has held up well, in my opinion it is as good or better than a Swiss penknife (althougth a bit larger) as long as you aren't in need of the nail file or toothpick. Cheesy I used to carry the full size leathermen on my belt but I like the smaller size casue it fits in a pocket.
Violet Rose
Snr. Officer

« Reply #146 on: May 07, 2009, 10:26:48 am »

My mini has held up well, in my opinion it is as good or better than a Swiss penknife (althougth a bit larger) as long as you aren't in need of the nail file or toothpick. Cheesy I used to carry the full size leathermen on my belt but I like the smaller size casue it fits in a pocket.

A nail file will not be missed but does it have an implement for removing small boy scouts from horses hooves?
Countessa Lenora
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

CountessaLenora
« Reply #147 on: May 07, 2009, 05:20:55 pm »

A nail file will not be missed but does it have an implement for removing small boy scouts from horses hooves?

or minions who have misbehaved or village idiots..etc. etc.
Lola Holmgang
Gunner

« Reply #148 on: May 15, 2009, 05:30:08 am »

Another question, ladies, my hair is cut in a modern bob style, but after researching victorian styles, especially formal, it would seem the done thing was to wear ones hair up. I cannot even get mine in a ponytail! I don't want to look to young! Can you recommend a style/solution for me?

Do forgive me for my abrupt entrance into the conversation, dears, but I would like to propose the fingerwave as a possible solution. A bit late for Victorian, admittedly, but it can form very pretty, soft-looking waves when (carefully) brushed out rather than leaving it more "sculpted." My hair is currently cut in a similarly short and modern fashion and I haven't tried waving yet but this community is a valuable resource for anyone wishing to try.

My experience is limited to the singular instance that my coiffeur demonstrated it for me: hair must be wet (but not dripping, give it a squeeze with a towel) and quite saturated with thick gel, something a bit more viscous than one would use to oil the cogs, for example; it also takes quite a bit of time to dry so one would either sleep in a hairnet and brush it out in the morning or be in possession of an older-fashioned drying bonnet. It takes a deal of practice to get the hang of it but think of the results, dears!
lilibat
Rogue Ætherlord

gamer geek goth girl

lilibat
« Reply #149 on: May 15, 2009, 05:32:24 am »

I need to make a pan of brownies, don't worry I'll share! (and they are nonfat, though they don't taste it).
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 41   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: