The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 22, 2019, 12:46:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 41   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Princess Seraphina Tea Room for distinguised ladies  (Read 70449 times)
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #100 on: April 28, 2009, 11:25:41 am »

I have ben invited to afternoon tea by a gentleman this afternoon, I have simply no idea what to wear!

Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

www.etsy.com/shop/celticroseart
Violet Rose
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #101 on: April 28, 2009, 04:15:01 pm »

How exciting!
Is he a steamy kind of gentleman ?

I'm in Darkshines sewing swap!

Declaring war on mediocrity and a pox on the foot soldiers of stupidity
Countessa Lenora
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

CountessaLenora
« Reply #102 on: April 28, 2009, 05:06:08 pm »

What you wear will determine how exciting your afternoon turns out to be - good luck!

Proud to be a Canadian Steampunk
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #103 on: April 28, 2009, 05:14:23 pm »

He was a steamy gentleman, and is hopefully joining the forum at some point today! He started the steampunk group on facebook, so some of you might already know him...
ladyelsie
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #104 on: April 28, 2009, 09:18:33 pm »

Good evening ladies, pink gin time again.
Darkshines, for afternoon tea I would wear, camisole, bloomers ,corset as a base layer then what ever you wear on the top will look fab. depends on what look you want, Blouse skirt/dress for a ladylike look or something more rugged, for a sky pirate look. A dab of eau de cologne and a smile to finnish off. Have a nice time. L.E.
Mrs. Sullivan
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

« Reply #105 on: April 29, 2009, 06:33:38 am »

Tea time dresses are lovely in filmy chiffon fabrics, and a fine hat is always a proper accessory!  However, I am sure your gentleman friend will hardly notice what you are wearing, preferring to focus on your sparkling eyes and lovely smile.  Have fun!  Wink

Regards,
Mrs. S.

I\\\'m in Darkshines\\\' Sewing Swap!
lilibat
Rogue Ætherlord

gamer geek goth girl

lilibat
« Reply #106 on: April 29, 2009, 08:30:50 am »

Filmy fabrics tend to last seconds on me, so I stick with the more sturdy and practical stuff normally! The filmiest stuff I have is silk and even that sees a lot of wear over time. I am a bit of a lummox and tend to shred delicate things.

darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #107 on: April 29, 2009, 10:20:39 am »

Yes, as the weather let me down, I went for something sturdier, but thanks for all the help!
Violet Rose
Snr. Officer

« Reply #108 on: April 29, 2009, 12:00:05 pm »

Filmy fabrics tend to last seconds on me, so I stick with the more sturdy and practical stuff normally! The filmiest stuff I have is silk and even that sees a lot of wear over time. I am a bit of a lummox and tend to shred delicate things.
"lummox" is a lovely word
Icky
Zeppelin Captain

Yet another goth girl

« Reply #109 on: April 29, 2009, 12:13:40 pm »

I love beautiful clothes and fabrics but am a bit of a "lummox" too, I often look like I've been dragged through the underbrush. In fact, I prefer this over the way that I look when wearing things I haven't trampled on at some point!
Fortunately this isn't necessarily always a bad look. My everyday outfits are often pearls teamed with ragged skirts or dresses, and ribbons or flowers in my hair that is looks to be full of knots.

Oh, and hello. I've been meaning to join in here for some time.
Smiley
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 12:17:15 pm by Icky » Logged

Ostentatious, and pretentious
Violet Rose
Snr. Officer

« Reply #110 on: April 29, 2009, 01:15:45 pm »

Pull up a chair and help yourself to the absinthe - I think the gin has all gone
ladyelsie
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #111 on: April 29, 2009, 11:11:55 pm »

Ladies, just making a batch of rasberry gin , so in a bout six weeks we will have some loverly ruby coloured gin to have. yours Lady Elsie.
Countessa Lenora
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

CountessaLenora
« Reply #112 on: April 30, 2009, 02:14:12 am »

raspberry gin sounds delightful.
garingling
Zeppelin Captain

Smile, let them think you're up to something.

« Reply #113 on: April 30, 2009, 02:27:15 am »

Mmmmm, raspberry gin.

G is for gorgeous
E is for exciting
O is for odd (in the best possible way!)
R is for remarkable
G is for gentle
I is for intelligent
A is for awesome
Violet Rose
Snr. Officer

« Reply #114 on: April 30, 2009, 12:56:24 pm »

Sloe gin is good too - especially home made - the commercial variety is usually too sweet
garingling
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #115 on: April 30, 2009, 03:01:08 pm »

Sloe gin is good too - especially home made - the commercial variety is usually too sweet
I've only had the commercial stuff but I liked it.
Violet Rose
Snr. Officer

« Reply #116 on: April 30, 2009, 04:06:09 pm »

Its easy peasy to make although I don't know if you have sloes in the USA - basically they are a small wild damson and very sour.

You pierce them with a skewer, put into a bottle and top up with gin and sugar to taste.
Store in a cool place, give it a shake every now and then and in a month or so - lovely sloe gin!
garingling
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #117 on: April 30, 2009, 04:08:25 pm »

I don't know if we have them here or not may have to investigate.
Hepzibah Kingsley
Deck Hand

« Reply #118 on: April 30, 2009, 07:52:53 pm »

Violet Rose my dear, where do you obtain the sloes?  I would love to try this out for myself.

“It is always the adventurers who do great things, not the sovereigns of great empires.”
Charles de Montesquieu
Violet Rose
Snr. Officer

« Reply #119 on: April 30, 2009, 11:33:37 pm »

In the highways and the hedges -
This is what it looks like
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sloe

Its worth checking out any likely trees now and keeping an eye on them for the autumn - IIRC it is distinguishable from whitethorn in that the flowers come out before the leaves.They recommend not to pick the fruit until after the first frost but I don't think I have ever bothered about that.
Herr Döktor
Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
Governor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #120 on: May 01, 2009, 12:10:52 am »

I'm sorry, I appear to have wandered into the wrong room: tell me, where might I find the smoking room where I may pass the port, smoke cigars and tell bawdy tales to my fellow menfolk?

Smiley

lady sakara
Snr. Officer

Empress of the 9th Parallel

« Reply #121 on: May 01, 2009, 12:30:29 am »

well isnt it nice to have a place to talk about lady things.....
questions that have been asked i shall endevour to answer
in my handbag - of which is based on an authentic victorian handbag
wallet, various lipsticks, keys, powder, little bag of various medical tablets, handcleanser, mobile phone, a pen and my diary
I have a couple of different bags for various SP outfits - dainty beaded bags to go with my posh outfits, hip belt bags for my gypsy dancer outfit and leather crossbody bag for my adventurer outfit.

i tend to do my makeup, with dark shimmery browns on the eyes, heavy black eyeliner and dark red lipstick, im afraid i cannot leave my gothic makeup behind, although i replaced my usual colourful eyeshadow with bronzes instead!

my tea of choice? well i have a obbsession with earlgrey and vanilla tea. It is by tetleys and absolutly sublime.
Although... i tried this amazing tea at the Botham tea Rooms in Whitby called ...um well it was an exotic japanese name but was also known as 'popcorn' tea as it smelt and tasted not unlike fresh popcorn! it also did wonders for the digestive system.

ABANDON HOPE, ALL YE WHO ENTER HERE!!!!!...... if you have already abandoned hope, please disregard this notice.
ladyelsie
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #122 on: May 01, 2009, 10:16:31 am »

Good morning Ladies, Raspberry gin is made in the same way as sloe gin, described by Violet Rose. I buy the reduced (on sale) fruit that's a bit squashed in the supermarket but it also works with frozen raspberry's when I have to make emergency bottles for gifts. Add sugar to taste and wait. It is then nice to print personalised labels for the bottles. I use about 25% of volume of fruit to gin. Enjoy , Yours ,Lady Elsie.
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #123 on: May 01, 2009, 10:17:48 am »

Frozen raspberries are, by far, the best snack in summer....Mmmm.....
Icky
Zeppelin Captain

Yet another goth girl

« Reply #124 on: May 01, 2009, 10:35:33 am »

I'm rather partial to frozen strawberry myself, or kiwi fruit. Mmm. Delicious!

Ladies - I have a wedding reception coming up. No, not my own, but that of a dear friend. While I'm sure he wouldn't so much as blink at me dressed head-to-toe in dark shades - afterall, we have been friends for many years - I do suspect that their family would not appreciate it.
I most certainly need a new dress for it, yet I don't want to feel uncomfortable. I'm very pale and find bright colours are often terribly unflattering for me.

I have a very curvy figure and believe a 50s style halterneck dress with a bolero or shrug will be most flattering, but I'm still struck for colour. I would like something that accentuates my natural leaning towards the dark yet is unlikely to upset the in-laws.
Perhaps a dusky pink, or shades of grey?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 41   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: