The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 27, 2017, 05:53:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Blog is temporarily offline. See this tweet, follow @brasstech for updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura  (Read 4317 times)
Diarmada
« on: February 27, 2007, 05:26:40 am »

I know its probably been covered here before, way before, but I thought I would make the suggestion of giving Arcanum a play if you have never tried it.  It is by the some of the same people who created the Fallout series of games....

Arcanum is set in a post industrial-revolution era and is self-described as having a Steampunk themed world.....
The soundtrack is probably the best score of any game I have ever played, I even play it for my newborn, who cannot sleep without it...

Just a thought, if anyone wants the soundtrack, let me know, I will provide a link....Dia
Magnus
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 10:18:52 am »

you can post the link to the sound track, the authors released it so its not a copyvio or anything

i am playing it now Smiley as a dwarf with a magikal allergy no less!
Hex
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 11:51:15 am »

linky
I'm downloading them now

"I am opposed to the laying down of rules or conditions to be observed in the construction of bridges. Lest the progress of improvement tomorrow, might be embarrassed or shackled by recording or registering as law, the prejudices or errors of today."
~Isambard Kingdom Brunel~
Mr Pad
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 11:58:57 am »

I have finished this game four times! It really is an excellent game!
arcane
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Steamcrunk. WHAT?

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 03:09:52 pm »

The graphics kinda sucked, and the game was buggy as hell, but dammit I loved the hell out of it. I need to find another copy of it.
Petri
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 03:27:09 pm »

Arcanum is one of the games that I am the most fond of. Was playing it way before I ever heard of the term steampunk.
I would love to see a new arcanum. Or just something like it.
Just too bad that troika went belly up  Cry

Maybe I should give it another run again sometime. It should be around here.

Thanks for the link Hex. Listening to the score right now.

arcane
Snr. Officer

Steamcrunk. WHAT?

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 03:28:52 pm »

Arcanum is one of the games that I am the most fond of. Was playing it way before I ever heard of the term steampunk.
I would love to see a new arcanum. Or just something like it.
Just too bad that troika went belly up  Cry

Thanks for the link Hex. Listening to the score right now.

I was really hoping they'd make it into an MMORPG.
Petri
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 03:35:10 pm »

It does indeed have a huge amount of potential. And It is still a completely unexplored world, There was so much you didn't see in the game.

In my opinion, arcanum didn't get nearly the amount of attention it deserved when it first came out.
arcane
Snr. Officer

Steamcrunk. WHAT?

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 03:38:05 pm »

There was a sequel called "Journey to the Centre of Arcanum" that was supposedly under development, but it was killed off shortly before Troika went belly up.
Petri
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 03:44:26 pm »

It is a great game. But I think it's greatest weaknesses was that it didn't have the graphics to match other rpgs at the time (morrowind came out around the same time) and the AI of your companions could be a pain in the ass.
But I still think it beats most of the other rpgs out there.
CarlosDeLaMaquina
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2007, 06:41:15 pm »

Here's the unreleased track, In Memoriam. I'm actually not sure why they didn't put it in the game, it's a pretty good track.

note: I posted this in the another thread, but it seems more fitting here.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 06:27:05 pm by CarlosDeLaMaquina » Logged
Scott-ism
Gunner

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2007, 06:56:01 am »

Ah Arcanum, I truly adored this game, It had some great design work on so much of it. I think after i beat psychonauts (for the 3rd time) I'll reinstall Arcanum.

I wonder what kind of character people liked to play, my first char was a human gun slinger type, I named him Corgan Byzane. He was a through and through good guy though, But he loved technology more than magick.

Ya know I think that I'm one of the only "ism's" allowed on this board.
Petri
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007, 07:53:51 am »

Much of the time I played a greedy gnome that dabbled in machanics and made his own guns. Can't remember the name though.. I have to find it and play it again.. ::urge rising.. can't resist..::
Diarmada
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2007, 08:04:54 pm »

If you are planning on playing again, maybe check out some of the mods for it at:
http://arcanum.rpgplanet.gamespy.com/tinkerer/mods.php
And here is a link to a lot of the bug fixes that people often complain about:
http://arcanum.rpgplanet.gamespy.com/tinkerer/tinkerer.shtml
A link to the oldest Arcanum fansite, Terra Arcanum:
http://www.terra-arcanum.com/
And Finally a link to "a compendium of all possible quests, plots, twists, and neat little quirks in Arcanum":
http://www.geocities.com/bigorrin/arc3.htm

Cheers!
Cyan
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2007, 02:09:43 am »

Arcanum is great! I've played through it several times, and I tend to spend as much time in Tarant as I possibly can. It's a beautifully designed city...poor graphics or not. I wish that there were more games that specifically focused on a pseudo-Victorian era. It just adds so much atmosphere...in my not so humble opinion.
MrFats
Snr. Officer

Heretic Chronogadgeteer

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2007, 02:54:49 am »

Arcanum was my second exposure to steampunk, and is a game I hold quite close to my steam powered, riveted heart

Fueled by coffee, powered by steam
Scientist, philosopher, photographer, writer
Nasudin
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2007, 08:15:14 pm »

Arcanum was my first encounter with steampunk and only after 2 years I found out that it was named steampunk. It was my first RPG and my favorite characters were the extremely dumb and ignorant ogre who went berserk on everyone who was too tacky or arrogant in his opinion (yes I'm kind of saddistic;-)) and the dwarven gun slinger who used a lot of explosives. I played the game a billion of times but only finished it once...just kept on restarting right before the end. I played the game for 2 years but now my copy is just way too much used.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: