The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 24, 2021, 09:03:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 28   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk in Austin?  (Read 77138 times)
RemiThursday
Officer
United States United States

Remington Thursday, Pirate at Large

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2008, 02:42:11 pm »

Well, that's at least three of us. That constitutes a quorum by my reckoning.
Any recommendations for an appropriate venue? Betsy's sounds lovely to me.

Meanwhile, let us have a sip of tea. The afternoon glow is brightening the bamboos, the fountains are bubbling with delight, the soughing of the pines is heard in our kettle. Let us dream of evanescence, and linger in the beautiful foolishness of things.
-Okakura Kakuzo
clairdelune
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2008, 05:00:39 pm »

I guess if an austin oriented meetup is scheduled, I'm in.  I'm missing Flipside since I work weekends(but I believe several of my friends are going out throughly brassed/sooted up there) so I'd like to meet others of a similar persuasion.  The Driskill Hotel bar just oozes ambiance(although 8 dollars is a bit steep for a Guinness)- if you're into oil barons, cow hides,and hauntings it's great for the occasional tipple.

Scholz Garten(oldest bar in Texas),Mother Egan's,lot's of options assuming people want to drink.

for windowshopping I'd recommend Big Top Candy Shop and Uncommon Objects on S. Congress...

mythdude
Officer

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2008, 01:03:53 am »

I at least am under 18...and thus a bar would most likely not be age appropriate...

Just as no one can be forced into belief, so no one can be forced into unbelief.
Sigmund Freud
RemiThursday
Officer

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2008, 01:20:18 am »

OK. I did some homework, gathered some links from your recommendations,
and here are some excellently appropriate venues in the Austin area, several of which are all ages.
Sorry for the edits, I keep finding great new additions.
Here they are, in no particular order:

Betsy's Bar
http://www.betsysbaraustin.com/
see a picture here:
http://austin.citysearch.com/profile/41959669/austin_tx/betsy_s_bar.html
Thoroughly steamy. It is a bar, so underage is out.

The Cathedral of Junk
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/7816
A great field trip for some tinker inspiration.

Museum of the Wierd
http://www.museumoftheweird.com/
Just as described. A classic tribute to the freakshow museums of yesteryear.

The Austin Museum of Ephemerata
http://www.mnae.org
A phenomenal field trip, I think, and one of my favorites of the bunch.

Big Top Candy Shop
http://www.myspace.com/bigtopcandyshop
A steampunk candyshop. How's THAT for all ages?

Uncommon Objects
http://www.uncommonobjects.com/
Truly, who couldn't do without a few uncommon objects?

The Driskill
http://www.driskillhotel.com/
A beautiful, time appropriate classic hotel.

Of course, a walk down the drag would be dandy for the exhibitionists of the lot.
I also like the Driskill, and it is a restaurant, so it is all ages.
Expensive might be a fairly serious drawback, though. I need to save up for spare parts.

What days are the best for you all? during the week, we can avoid the crowd, but the weekends may be a bit more social.
I am fine with either.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 04:20:58 am by RemiThursday » Logged
Miss Bismuth
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2008, 12:56:09 am »

I guess if an austin oriented meetup is scheduled, I'm in.  I'm missing Flipside since I work weekends(but I believe several of my friends are going out throughly brassed/sooted up there) so I'd like to meet others of a similar persuasion.  The Driskill Hotel bar just oozes ambiance(although 8 dollars is a bit steep for a Guinness)- if you're into oil barons, cow hides,and hauntings it's great for the occasional tipple.

Scholz Garten(oldest bar in Texas),Mother Egan's,lot's of options assuming people want to drink.

for windowshopping I'd recommend Big Top Candy Shop and Uncommon Objects on S. Congress...

Hmmm, I wonder if I know you? Perhaps you'd be so kind as to send a private message. My schedule is fairly open for meeting up. I'm sure my spouse would be in, he used to be involved in a vampire LARP, so you know we're geeks. Smiley

RemiThursday
Officer

« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2008, 04:10:06 am »

As for a day... I must admit, I am partial to Thursdays.
Specifically in the evenings. And my vote, for maximum inclusivity, is clairedelune's window shopping suggestion. Big Top and Uncommon Objects are fairly close together, and I could do with a stroll.
DrEllaNunn
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2008, 01:31:17 am »

Any of you know people in the Houston area?  I dont get up into the Austin area much anymore...went to school in San Marcos but that was years ago. 

BTW - I had cousins who used to live in Vernon - aka "Tornado Alley".
RemiThursday
Officer

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2008, 06:54:38 pm »

On the Central Steam board, we had another vote for all ages friendly.
What do you all think of a First Thursday stroll down South Congress, with stops at the Big Top Candy Shop, Uncommon Objects, and whichever else strikes our fancy? Even in plenty of time to plan a trip from Houston.  Wink
clairdelune
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2008, 06:56:02 pm »

On the Central Steam board, we had another vote for all ages friendly.
What do you all think of a First Thursday stroll down South Congress, with stops at the Big Top Candy Shop, Uncommon Objects, and whichever else strikes our fancy? Even in plenty of time to plan a trip from Houston.  Wink
since Congress is filled to overflowing with people on 1st thursday, we need a mutually agreed upon spot(specific time,etc.)to start the crawl-whilst I think we might be able to spot each other amongst the teeming masses, I've not acquired the knowledge of any secret handshakes to sort other steamy types out...

a suggestion:
I'd think we could start out shopping down S. Congress and then end up taking the 'Dillo(it's free) down to 6th and end up at The Driskill 1886 Cafe so we can all chat and share our finds. Parking is going to be hellish on 1st Thursday, so fair warning to anyone who hasn't experienced it before.
RemiThursday
Officer

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2008, 09:46:05 pm »

I think that is a phenomenal plan.
What do you think of this idea? It is straight from the First Thursday website.

"You can beat the parking crunch in SoCo on First Thursday by parking at One Texas Center (Google Map), walking one block west to S. Congress Ave. and riding the FREE Orange 'Dillo which runs every 10 minutes from 6-11 pm, from the Hyatt along S. Congress to Live Oak and back!"

We could meet at 6:00 to be sure of parking, walk the streets for a couple of hours, Dillo off to the Driskill for an hour or so, then head back. Plenty of flexibility for staying as short or long as we like.
clairdelune
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2008, 10:21:33 pm »

I think that is a phenomenal plan.
What do you think of this idea? It is straight from the First Thursday website.

"You can beat the parking crunch in SoCo on First Thursday by parking at One Texas Center (Google Map), walking one block west to S. Congress Ave. and riding the FREE Orange 'Dillo which runs every 10 minutes from 6-11 pm, from the Hyatt along S. Congress to Live Oak and back!"

We could meet at 6:00 to be sure of parking, walk the streets for a couple of hours, Dillo off to the Driskill for an hour or so, then head back. Plenty of flexibility for staying as short or long as we like.

I'm going to be away from the computer for the next 2 days, so I'll check in again on thursday morning to see what other people think.  So far, so good!
RemiThursday
Officer

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2008, 10:30:55 pm »

Awesome. I will pass it on to Central Steam.
RemiThursday
Officer

« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2008, 11:27:14 pm »

A Summary, if you please:

Austin Steampunk Stroll
First Thursday, June 5, at 6 in the evening on South Congress, gathering and parking at One Texas Center (Google Map).

Details:
We will be meeting at One Texas Center (Google Map), walking one block west to S. Congress Ave. and riding the FREE Orange 'Dillo (A trolley! How appropriate!) to South Congress for a window shopping extravaganza, to include such delights as the Big Top Candy Shop and Uncommon Objects.
As the night progresses, any interested parties will once again mount that faithful steed, the Dillo, and head for a downright festivous gathering at the timeless Driskill Hotel for drinks (alcoholic or otherwise) and some fine social intercourse.
RemiThursday
Officer

« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2008, 03:48:26 pm »

I, for one, am getting excited. I must admit, though, my attire is still in it's early evolution. I am still waiting on a couple of pieces to arrive, and shopping for plenty of others. If you have recommendations for the location of Austin steampunk supplies at a modest price, I would love to hear them!
'Til Thursday, then.

Regards,
      Remi
WisconsinPlatt
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2008, 04:07:01 pm »

Bugger.  Can't make this one.  Please post a recap when all is said and done.
clairdelune
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2008, 04:18:18 pm »

I, for one, am getting excited. I must admit, though, my attire is still in it's early evolution. I am still waiting on a couple of pieces to arrive, and shopping for plenty of others. If you have recommendations for the location of Austin steampunk supplies at a modest price, I would love to hear them!
'Til Thursday, then.

Regards,
      Remi

I believe Banana Bay was mentioned earlier in this thread, another military surplus store is Quonset Hut:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-quonset-hut-austin
vests can easily be found cheaply at discount stores like Ross and Burlington Coat Factory
when you have the budget for a Utilikilt(if that's your thing) come visit us at Things Celtic, we also have nice pewter flasks, irish tweed caps,etc.-not cheap, but good quality.

I really don't plan on going full out in the dressup department since summer is in full swing, but will applaud those who do.
BaronPablo
Snr. Officer

Vapeurpunk ou Barbarie!

http://twitter.com/#!/Bar
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2008, 02:45:16 am »

Oh wow, I might actually be in town for this!  Grin

Also, keep in mind that the Texas Democratic Party Convention is going to start taking place around this time, bringing in about 15,000 new people to Austin proper, so expect congestion and tons of people.

Mr. Saturday of Mr. Saturday & Sixpence, Gentlemen-For-Hire!
AetherFest, Texas' Oldest Steampunk Convention, Chairman
San Antonio Neo-Victorian Association, Chairman
RemiThursday
Officer

« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2008, 09:00:46 pm »

I just realized that the link for the map of the meeting location was not working!
Here is the direct link.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=505+Barton+Springs+Rd,+Austin,+TX+78704
Long, but functional.

Alternately, you can also find it here:
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=US&address=505+Barton+Springs+Road+&city=Austin&state=TX

I look forward to seeing you all. For those who won't be able to attend,
I will be sure to post some photographic documentation.

clairdelune
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2008, 05:07:50 pm »

I just realized that the link for the map of the meeting location was not working!
Here is the direct link.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=505+Barton+Springs+Rd,+Austin,+TX+78704
Long, but functional.

Alternately, you can also find it here:
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=US&address=505+Barton+Springs+Road+&city=Austin&state=TX

I look forward to seeing you all. For those who won't be able to attend,
I will be sure to post some photographic documentation.

Remi,
I haven't seen you post today, so I'm taking the liberty of sending out a reminder on the centralsteam community lj.
see you all tonight...
clairdelune
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2008, 07:46:26 pm »

Someone just posted on central_steam that the orange dillo doesn't start picking up until 6:30:
http://www.capmetro.org/riding/schedules.asp?f1=450#rt450_14

just an fyi.
clairdelune
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2008, 08:20:56 pm »

Firewater is performing inside at Emo's this coming Thursday(the 12th), If you haven't heard them, check out the myspace page for songs off the new album-the Golden Hour:
http://www.myspace.com/realfirewater
They've(Ok, Tod A. and whoever else is around at the time) been doing the angsty gypsy/carnival punk thing since 1996.
If anyone wants to meet up-give a shout-tickets are 10 dollars and show starts at 9.
clairdelune
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2008, 10:05:26 pm »

just got a reminder in my inbox from The Harry Ransom Center List-  The Violet Crown Radio Players are doing a free performance of a Perry Mason serial at U.T. this Thursday-Would be great for all those of you into pulp and/or noir.  Details to be found here:
http://uthrc.convio.net/site/MessageViewer?em_id=6181.0&dlv_id=10341&JServSessionIdr009=k8b8nwvpu2.app2b

I probably won't go, but thought I'd pass it along to all of you fedora wearers out there.
RemiThursday
Officer

« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2008, 04:09:40 pm »

Thoroughly belated, but Star posted a couple of pictures from our recent Austin Steampunk Stroll.
We all forgot our cameras. Thankfully, she had a camera phone, and there was some documentation after all.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It was great fun, and I definitely look forward to doing it again.
We stumbled around a bit at the beginning, due to my less-than-perfect directions, but we all managed to find each other (I hope no one got missed!).
Next time I will let someone else organize. Wink

We also talked about an Austin specific steampunk board, for better organization of future gatherings.
Sounds like a great idea to me. I can put it together, unless there is one already.
clairdelune
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2008, 08:09:53 pm »

Thoroughly belated, but Star posted a couple of pictures from our recent Austin Steampunk Stroll.
We all forgot our cameras. Thankfully, she had a camera phone, and there was some documentation after all.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It was great fun, and I definitely look forward to doing it again.
We stumbled around a bit at the beginning, due to my less-than-perfect directions, but we all managed to find each other (I hope no one got missed!).
Next time I will let someone else organize. Wink

We also talked about an Austin specific steampunk board, for better organization of future gatherings.
Sounds like a great idea to me. I can put it together, unless there is one already.

Mr. Thursday,
it is certainly not your fault that the official 1st Thursday website had incorrect Dillo information(I guess routes changed awhile ago), the point is we found each other and had a nice time.  Everyone looked great(it hit 100 degrees F that day, so no easy feat). 

I'd suggest yet another livejournal steampunk community or a yahoo/google group specifically for austin with major events being crossposted to Brass Goggles and central_steam lj.  For an Austincentric name-austin steam is kind of boring-  How do you and your friends feel about something like Austin Aethernauts, Seaholm Steam(for our beloved old power plant), or something else suitably inscrutable yet not terribly serious?

Thanks for actually getting us all together for a 1st go round, let's hear it for more to come.
RemiThursday
Officer

« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2008, 08:19:34 pm »

I absolutely love 'Seaholm Steam'. I think we should add a location oriented moniker for clarity. Perhaps 'Austin Seaholm Steam'.
I am not so sure about the acronym, but it would be easy to remember. Smiley
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 28   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: