The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 29, 2020, 05:28:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Torvald Faust's Valkyr Rifle [Steampunk gun WIP]  (Read 16872 times)
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

Persistent pilfering privateer

« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2011, 11:11:19 pm »

Beautiful work, sir!  It looks very convincing as a prototype weapon; all of the necessary parts without a lot of unnecessary clutter, and just the right amount of ornamentation.
My most sincere thanks for your compliment, sir Smiley It is very fine to hear my work is as liked as it is Smiley

Looks solid, too.
Solid? Hah! It's so solid, my mother is glad I have left their home - many doors were, let's say, 'inconvenienced', by this weapon's passing Wink

I was trying to figure out what the runestaves on the stock said, and then in a "duh" moment I realized it was simply the entire Elder Futhark laid out decoratively.  Roll Eyes  In a way, it's reminiscent of a ouija board, and given the nature of the weapon that seems appropriate. Wink
Thank you for that insight Smiley 'Tis indeed a deliberate attempt at giving the weapon a 'mystic' touch Smiley

Tardisoid
Gunner
United States United States

« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2011, 11:12:21 pm »

Very interesting... most of the runes have ones that look identical to it in dwarvish, and those that aren't have been derived. Hmmm. Tolkien copied quite closely. (*sigh* I'm a nerd)
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2011, 11:37:04 pm »

Heh, ah, stealing...'Tis the most sincere form of flattery, as they say Wink
Captain MacMorrigan
Officer

« Reply #78 on: February 02, 2011, 02:51:59 am »

It's not like there was a copyright on ancient runes. . .

"We're actors!  We're the opposite of people!"--Tom Stoppard, "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead"
Danbury Shakes
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #79 on: February 02, 2011, 02:26:26 pm »

quickly checks the futhark for a ©

Nope, nothing there

Smiley
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #80 on: February 02, 2011, 08:43:01 pm »

Cheesy
Thanks guys, that's my Chuckle of the Day Grin
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #81 on: December 07, 2011, 11:52:07 am »

Truth be told, after all this time, I am still slightly miffed that the runes are wrong. Anyone has a good/best tip where I can find a proper overview of what letter maps to what rune?
Captain Reech
Officer

« Reply #82 on: December 07, 2011, 02:45:56 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runic_script

As you can see from the article, there are a few different versions depending on where and when they were used.

Since there wasn't anyone enforcing a standard, there may well have been further variations down to individuals and where they were trained (that's before getting into the chance of causing a typo when you're carving things into a lump of rock.....I don't think they had any handy polyfilla to use as correction fluid so I imagine if you made a mistake three or four days into your carving you either let it stand and hope the customer didn't notice or got another rock and started all over again....)

"I didn't 'Blow it up' I 'Modified the way it works' OK?"
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #83 on: December 07, 2011, 03:21:53 pm »

I think I'm going for Elder Futhark; that matches the stock the best, it seems.

To wit, as example:
"Torvald Faust"
("Torwald Faust" due to it's limitations)

SPBrewer
Zeppelin Captain

Sky Pirate Brewer

« Reply #84 on: December 07, 2011, 09:35:41 pm »

I'm not sure about anyone else, but that bong looks like it could do some mighty fine damage. It looks like it'll go really well with the vase muthinger.
As soon as you said railgun, my dirty little mind goes to Star Wars :O I am having difficulty locating any pictures of it though - it's much more fun than using a lightsaber, that's for sure.

This IS a cool gun!!!  Shoot somebody, then use the stock mounted Hooka to capture the smoke!  Smiley

The Sky Pirate
Captain of the "Queen Victoria's Revenge"

Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #85 on: December 07, 2011, 09:53:46 pm »

I am afraid the rifle moved away from the hooka a while ago. I still have the part, though...
Rev. Jade
Zeppelin Captain

Preacher of Ancient Ways, Captain of S.S. Mjöllnir

jadedhero1331
« Reply #86 on: December 10, 2011, 01:42:03 am »

I think I'm going for Elder Futhark; that matches the stock the best, it seems.

To wit, as example:
"Torvald Faust"
("Torwald Faust" due to it's limitations)

Elder Futhark for the win! And just as a side note, the "w" I believe would make a "v" sound as it does in German, however I could be wrong.

Keeper of the Watchhouse at the Edge of the World

Come talk brewing with us over at The Brewers' Guild!
Rev. Jade
Zeppelin Captain

jadedhero1331
« Reply #87 on: December 10, 2011, 01:54:38 am »

Very interesting... most of the runes have ones that look identical to it in dwarvish, and those that aren't have been derived. Hmmm. Tolkien copied quite closely. (*sigh* I'm a nerd)

Yes, Tolkien did draw quite heavily from Norse mythology. But, that is a discussion for another thread Smiley
Thomas MSwift
Officer

@AdmiralSwift
« Reply #88 on: December 10, 2011, 02:37:44 am »

I did a design years back for the Starseeker Unmanned Booster for Inertial Transport of Cargo in a Hurry...that way the command for takeoff could be "launch that SUMBICH!"

"The realm between planets is filled with the luminiferous ether."
The Mysterious Mr Murphy
Officer

« Reply #89 on: December 10, 2011, 11:07:01 am »

Excellent overall design work.

The stock to barrel proportions remind me of a PPSh gone wild in an evil overlord's design shop.

I would replace the trigger myself, but that's minor.

The vertical nozzle extending down from the barrel could possibly be rubber-hosed to a canister on your back or a waistpack....... steam or otherwise-powered for additional range?
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #90 on: December 10, 2011, 10:17:35 pm »

Elder Futhark for the win! And just as a side note, the "w" I believe would make a "v" sound as it does in German, however I could be wrong.
Well, we both could be wrong, but we both think the same - so I think the chance of actually being wrong is smaller Wink

Excellent overall design work.

The stock to barrel proportions remind me of a PPSh gone wild in an evil overlord's design shop.
Thanks! After the stock and barrel, the rest came naturally Smiley

I would replace the trigger myself, but that's minor.
As it happens, that's on the menu. I 'just' have not got the time for it yet.

The vertical nozzle extending down from the barrel could possibly be rubber-hosed to a canister on your back or a waistpack....... steam or otherwise-powered for additional range?
What a wonderfull idea! Hadn't thought about that yet...
Frater Salem
Deck Hand

Gravatar

« Reply #91 on: December 11, 2011, 07:34:08 pm »

Just as an observation. I don't believe it would necessarily be incorrect to use the wunjo (w) rune for the 'v' but an option to consider that would just as valid is the use of the uruz (u) rune, which in Old Norse also represents 'v.' This is comparable to the Latin use of the 'V' for 'u' or 'v.'

Regards,
Prof. Gideon Salem.

Professor Gideon Salem
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #92 on: December 11, 2011, 07:57:32 pm »

Thanks for the observation Smiley Is there a meaning(full) difference between the two uses?
Frater Salem
Deck Hand

Gravatar

« Reply #93 on: December 11, 2011, 08:34:56 pm »

Only as it relates to usage by date and culture.
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #94 on: December 11, 2011, 08:36:48 pm »

Not much, then Wink Good, then I get to choose the prettiest one Wink
Frater Salem
Deck Hand

Gravatar

« Reply #95 on: December 11, 2011, 09:13:55 pm »

Absolutely. Aesthetics should always have first consideration in art.
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #96 on: December 12, 2011, 12:36:32 am »

Though I entirely agree, I try to have my art grounded in reality - hence my question about meaning Smiley
Rev. Jade
Zeppelin Captain

jadedhero1331
« Reply #97 on: December 12, 2011, 10:04:10 pm »

Another thing to think about, aesthetics wise, is that the "S" rune can either have 4 strokes (like the one you posted) or 3 strokes like the one seen in the below table:

I personally prefer the 3-stroke rune, but either way is correct. There is even been some research showing that "S" runes could have had up to 5 or 6 strokes. Just something to think about!
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #98 on: December 12, 2011, 10:31:40 pm »

Thinking is hard, did you not know this? Wink I will see - thanks for the pointers!
Evelyn Adler
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of Dorkness

« Reply #99 on: December 12, 2011, 11:02:51 pm »

Another thing to think about, aesthetics wise, is that the "S" rune can either have 4 strokes (like the one you posted) or 3 strokes like the one seen in the below table:

I personally prefer the 3-stroke rune, but either way is correct. There is even been some research showing that "S" runes could have had up to 5 or 6 strokes. Just something to think about!

I'd prefer the rune with 4 strokes. The one with three has been misused by some really evil people.

Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary. (Cecil Beaton)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: