The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 29, 2020, 06:46:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Torvald Faust's Valkyr Rifle [Steampunk gun WIP]  (Read 16875 times)
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

Persistent pilfering privateer

« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2009, 03:33:38 pm »

ios is a mess up in my typing...lol.

Bah Tongue Cheesy

Looking forward to the new renderings!

Keep on waiting Wink

theDapperDocent
Snr. Officer
United States United States

« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2009, 05:30:33 pm »

This gun introduces to the target's blood a big enough ammount of concentrated (crystalized) ectoplasm1 that the target dies of instant anaphylactic shock - an such an intense allergic reaction, that it's fatal. Why it always works? Ectoplasm, being the remnants of something that's dead, a ghost, is so strange, so alien to a living being's system, that no-one is immune - everyone is allergic to it.

Coincidently, it means it doesn't work on vehicles and the like, Constructs like Golems, and, of course, the Undead. Which naturally leads to me needing a second(ary) firearm Wink

Firing the essence of the dead, would such a weapon actually strengthen an undead creature or ghost if it were fired at them?   And would you be more likely to attract their unwanted attention by carrying the stored ectoplasmic ammo on your person?   Perhaps some form of insulation is used?   It wouldn't do to use such a fine weapon to defeat your enemy only to get swarmed by legions of the undead every time you fired it.   Though I'm sure the League of S.T.E.A.M. would rescue you if need be. 

Wink

Sorry, just felt like some random brainstorming/suggestions on the fiction.  Can't wait to see the finished build! 

"Every revolutionary idea seems to evoke three stages of reaction. They may be summed up by the phrases: One, it's completely impossible. Two, it's possible, but it's not worth doing. Three, I said it was a good idea all along." - Arthur C. Clarke
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2009, 06:44:53 pm »

Firing the essence of the dead, would such a weapon actually strengthen an undead creature or ghost if it were fired at them?

Only Ghosts - to other Undead, it wouldn't be harmful, but not compatible, either Smiley

And would you be more likely to attract their unwanted attention by carrying the stored ectoplasmic ammo on your person?

Only if they've got heightened senses to a point where they'd sense the bearer of the weapon anyway, such as Vampires.

Perhaps some form of insulation is used?

Of course there is! The bearer doesn't want of this stuff on him, does he? Wink

It wouldn't do to use such a fine weapon to defeat your enemy only to get swarmed by legions of the undead every time you fired it.

See previous questions Wink

Though I'm sure the League of S.T.E.A.M. would rescue you if need be.

With all due respect, I don't need them Wink

Sorry, just felt like some random brainstorming/suggestions on the fiction.  Can't wait to see the finished build!

No need to be sorry, I like this kind of thing Smiley
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2009, 09:28:11 pm »

Now, as promised, more photos Grin

On showcase are things I do not think I have shown before: the whole trigger assembly and trigger guard, the gunbelt and his attachment points, the powercore-to-be and the (re)decorated stock.
Count Theodore Yijinsky
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2009, 08:05:56 pm »

I've just read this thread for the first time and thought I recognised the component parts at the beginning of the thread! I met you at Spiel in Essen. I was the older grey haired English guy standing by the 'Anderswelt' Stall in Hall 6.  I probably talked about my Nerf conversion that was also on the stall at the time. I can honestly say to anyone admiring the photos that this gun looks great in the flesh!
Nice to have met you.
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2009, 08:46:00 pm »

Hah! Oh, that makes me quite happy Grin I remember you, actually. Awesome to 'meet' you again like this Smiley Glad you remember me - and my gun Wink
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 08:50:07 pm by Torvald_Faust » Logged
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2009, 09:09:10 pm »

this any help?

Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2009, 09:24:43 pm »

Hmmm....That is rather ingenious Grin Thanks for the drawing Smiley
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2009, 12:11:30 pm »

My apologies for the many double posts on here, but it seems unfair not to share progress on this rifle Wink

A photonic recording of the current state of affairs, then:

(Click the photo for a (slightly) larger version.)

There has not been much progress since the last recordings, but I think it is important to note that by now, it is pretty much done. 'All' that is left, are few details before I will consider it done.

Also, there is an idea that is taking root: removing the barrel from the stock, and routing a groove down the whole of the stock so the barrel can be sunk after all...
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2011, 06:45:28 pm »

I'm nearing the end of this build! Incredible, I'd say - just checked and by the time I'm fully done, I will have tinkered with it for almost one to two years Cheesy

I don't post just to say the above, I've actually got some updates. First and foremost, the powersource:

Installed into the gun:

It's made from parts my girlfriend spotted on a flea market I've been to recently, some bits and bobs from the hardware store, and the 'mandatory' Dremel related work Wink

Secondly, I've engraved some words/runes into the sideplates. One side says 'Valkyr Rifle':

The other says 'Torvald Faust':

I'm 99% done and very happy with how it's turning out Grin All I can think of to get it done, is to improve/replace the trigger Smiley
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 06:47:01 pm by Torvald_Faust » Logged
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

~~Blast from the past~~

« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2011, 09:39:46 pm »

Very nice work!
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2011, 09:57:21 pm »

Thanks! It's been a long journey, but worth it Smiley
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

~~Blast from the past~~

« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2011, 09:58:28 pm »

Totally worth it. The sprinkler nozzle really finishes it off nicely!
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2011, 10:00:34 pm »

Indeed! Though I hope to make it less obvious it's a sprinkler nozzle Cheesy
Tardisoid
Gunner

« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2011, 03:51:58 pm »

I have to ask, the writing you have on it... what is it? Because if that's not Dwarvish from Lord of the Rings, it looks unbelievably similar.

And that is an excellent gun you have there! I wish I could accomplish something like that.
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

~~Blast from the past~~

« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2011, 04:03:49 pm »

they look like runes to my untrained eyes..
Captain MacMorrigan
Officer

« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2011, 06:27:25 pm »

They are Norse/Germanic Futhark Runes.  Tolkein used them as the basis for the dwarvish script.  If you are going for accuracy, however,there are a few errors.  It says "Vamlir Rifme" and "Tprvamd."  Faust is spelled correctly.  The "P"-looking rune is technically "W", but as there is no rune corresponding to "V", using it as a "V" is acceptable.

http://www.crystalinks.com/futhark.gif

"We're actors!  We're the opposite of people!"--Tom Stoppard, "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead"
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2011, 06:30:57 pm »

I have to ask, the writing you have on it... what is it? Because if that's not Dwarvish from Lord of the Rings, it looks unbelievably similar.

they look like runes to my untrained eyes..

Akumabito and Captain MacMorrigan are indeed right Smiley Though I have seemed to cause some discussion as to which set we're talking about Wink

And that is an excellent gun you have there! I wish I could accomplish something like that.

Thanks for the compliment Smiley 'Tis my humble opinion that anyone can accomplish it; it's a matter of time and determination, if you ask me.

They are Norse/Germanic Futhark Runes.  Tolkein used them as the basis for the dwarvish script.  If you are going for accuracy, however,there are a few errors.  It says "Vamlir Rifme" and "Tprvamd."  Faust is spelled correctly.  The "P"-looking rune is technically "W", but as there is no rune corresponding to "V", using it as a "V" is acceptable.

In my defence, it would appear the error isn't all that easy to point out Smiley I had someone burn an rune alphabet into the stock and I later on mapped the normal alphabet to it, using that as an translation key. So either I in the mapping or she in the burning made the mistake Wink
Captain MacMorrigan
Officer

« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2011, 07:55:12 pm »

In my defence, it would appear the error isn't all that easy to point out Smiley I had someone burn an rune alphabet into the stock and I later on mapped the normal alphabet to it, using that as an translation key. So either I in the mapping or she in the burning made the mistake Wink

Not easy to point out, except for pagans like me who take the time to actually learn this stuff. Tongue

As to the key, It could be due to the fact that the Runic Alphabet is not ordered the same way as ours is (f-u-th-a-r-k-g-p... instead of a-b-c-d-e-f-g-h...).  Beyond that,I'd say someone made an error.
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2011, 08:03:35 pm »

I am not doubting someone made an error. I am merely trying to enlighten said error Wink

At any rate, I have got a few more pics, as per the request of an other forum I frequent and showed my progress, more of an overview:

As can be seen there and as I failed to point out in my previous update, I took the advice some gave on these very boards to heart and improved the (visual) connection the barrel has to the stock Smiley
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 08:21:35 pm by Torvald_Faust » Logged
Lord Jeffreys
Snr. Officer

« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2011, 08:17:44 pm »

Outstanding!
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #71 on: January 31, 2011, 08:26:59 pm »

Thank you!
Dr cornelius quack
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Arrant Carney. Phmebian Cultural Attache.

« Reply #72 on: January 31, 2011, 09:30:20 pm »

It's the best looking 'Vamlir Rifme' I've seen for a long time.
I thought they stopped making them years ago.

And anyway, you can always shoot anyone who is heathenish enough to point out the..... erm.... need the right word.... would a branded in 'Typo' be a 'Pyro'?

In conclusion, Tprvamd. It's an elegant piece of work, the proportions are spot on and the quality is excellent. Be very proud of it, because you deserve to be.

Kind regards,

Dr. Q.

Such are the feeble bases on which many a public character rests.

Today, I am two, separate Gorillas.
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2011, 10:22:09 pm »

Dear dr. Cornelius Quack. I am not quite sure if I should laugh or cry. Overall, I think I will just take that grand compliment, bow, and smile Wink
Argentum
Gunner

« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2011, 12:05:49 am »

Beautiful work, sir!  It looks very convincing as a prototype weapon; all of the necessary parts without a lot of unnecessary clutter, and just the right amount of ornamentation.  Looks solid, too.

I was trying to figure out what the runestaves on the stock said, and then in a "duh" moment I realized it was simply the entire Elder Futhark laid out decoratively.  Roll Eyes  In a way, it's reminiscent of a ouija board, and given the nature of the weapon that seems appropriate. Wink

“A thousand secrets of nature which I might have stumbled upon accidentally I would have given for that one which I had wrestled from her against all odds and at the peril of my existence.” ~ Nikola Tesla
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: