The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 29, 2020, 06:21:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Torvald Faust's Valkyr Rifle [Steampunk gun WIP]  (Read 16874 times)
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #100 on: December 12, 2011, 11:18:22 pm »

Another thing to think about, aesthetics wise, is that the "S" rune can either have 4 strokes (like the one you posted) or 3 strokes like the one seen in the below table:

I personally prefer the 3-stroke rune, but either way is correct. There is even been some research showing that "S" runes could have had up to 5 or 6 strokes. Just something to think about!

I'd prefer the rune with 4 strokes. The one with three has been misused by some really evil people.

Out of linguistic curiosity, what does the 4-stroke 'S' rune look like? (apologies in advance if the answer is ridiculously obvious).

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

Persistent pilfering privateer

« Reply #101 on: December 12, 2011, 11:26:19 pm »

'Tis visible in the example I made earlier in this thread Wink

Rev. Jade
Zeppelin Captain

Preacher of Ancient Ways, Captain of S.S. Mjöllnir

jadedhero1331
« Reply #102 on: December 13, 2011, 12:42:25 am »

Another thing to think about, aesthetics wise, is that the "S" rune can either have 4 strokes (like the one you posted) or 3 strokes like the one seen in the below table:

I personally prefer the 3-stroke rune, but either way is correct. There is even been some research showing that "S" runes could have had up to 5 or 6 strokes. Just something to think about!

I'd prefer the rune with 4 strokes. The one with three has been misused by some really evil people.

Out of linguistic curiosity, what does the 4-stroke 'S' rune look like? (apologies in advance if the answer is ridiculously obvious).

The 4-stroke Sowilo rune looks like this:

To make a 5- or 6-stroke rune, the 4-stroke rune would just be given 1 or 2 extra lines.

Keeper of the Watchhouse at the Edge of the World

Come talk brewing with us over at The Brewers' Guild!
Frater Salem
Deck Hand

Gravatar

« Reply #103 on: December 13, 2011, 05:42:16 am »

It also depends on which version of the runes you plan on using. There are several different historic rune alphabets; the one most people tend to think of is the 24 rune Elder Futhark of the early Middle Ages (the Dark Ages). Then come the Younger Futharks of the Middle Ages, which ranged from 16 (Norse) to 33 (Anglo-Saxon) runes. Going back into antiquity there are runic alphabets such as Etruscan (the assumed 'parent' of the Elder Futhark) and even ancient Arabian runes, such as the Sabaean (ancient Yemen) alphabet.

Then of course are the various fantasy runes, most famous being Prof. Tolkien's dwarven runes.

I wouldn't worry too much about using the Elder Futhark (3 stroke) soweilo rune in the context of a word. Most people won't see it as anything other than another letter in a series. It's when you pair two soweilos that you're likely to get raised eyebrows. But then again, if you consider that the ancient Germanic and Norse cultures and mythologies, including the runes themselves, have been co-opted by various neo-Nazi groups, anything related to that will eventually find someone who objects.

Do what pleases you, Torvald, according to your historic and artistic preferences. What matters is your satisfaction with your art.

Professor Gideon Salem
Rev. Jade
Zeppelin Captain

Preacher of Ancient Ways, Captain of S.S. Mjöllnir

jadedhero1331
« Reply #104 on: December 13, 2011, 07:03:57 am »

I wouldn't worry too much about using the Elder Futhark (3 stroke) soweilo rune in the context of a word. Most people won't see it as anything other than another letter in a series. It's when you pair two soweilos that you're likely to get raised eyebrows.

And you won't run into the problem of putting two sowilos next to each other because of the way the Elder Futhark is structured. It's a phonetic language, so you wouldn't put two of the same runes next to each other because it adds nothing phonetically to the structure of the word. Not at the level that the written language achieves in any case.

Also, apologies if this doesn't make sense but I'm sick and on NyQuil so I feel that my sentences may not be portraying my meanings entirely accurately.
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #105 on: December 13, 2011, 10:43:58 am »

Frater Salem, thank you for your words Smiley So far, I am going for Elder Futhark - I know my own engraving limits and I figure I can make those look best.

Rev. Jade, you make sense enough to me!
Frater Salem
Deck Hand

Gravatar

« Reply #106 on: December 14, 2011, 09:54:01 pm »

And you won't run into the problem of putting two sowilos next to each other because of the way the Elder Futhark is structured. It's a phonetic language, so you wouldn't put two of the same runes next to each other because it adds nothing phonetically to the structure of the word. Not at the level that the written language achieves in any case.

Also, apologies if this doesn't make sense but I'm sick and on NyQuil so I feel that my sentences may not be portraying my meanings entirely accurately.

Quite true. Made perfect sense.

You're most Welcome, Torvaldr.
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #107 on: January 18, 2012, 10:54:48 pm »

Ah, and then, finally, one of the upgrades I told about; a better trigger:

(Click the photonic recording for a bigger version.)

As it should be, getting it to work was a bit fiddely, but worth it - looks tons better than the last one and works like a charm.
elvisroe
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #108 on: January 19, 2012, 08:51:55 am »

Lovely work Torvald!  Thanks too for posting the process the way you have - it's always interesting to see how a thing came together.

I've always fiercely resisted unveiling any art or film I'm working on until it's polished as there's nothing worse than some "Captain Obvious" pointing out the unfinished flaws in a work in progress.

However - I've enjoyed watching this (and other) project(s) come together and may rethink my secretive approach in future.  The work in progress thread makes for interesting viewing.

Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #109 on: January 19, 2012, 11:02:23 am »

I understand your train of thought - it can be a scary prospect for people to mutilate your work - and I have come across more people who think as such. Neither method is necessarily the best. However, I do this for multiple reasons.

I try to be my best, and having flaws pointed out as I go, prevent me from having to retrace too much work when a flaw is found later on. Secondly, I like to see things like these myself, so I hope I serve as an example, so I will be able to see more of what I like myself. Seems to be the case; glad to hear this!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: