The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
April 23, 2014, 05:55:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forum highlights on twitter: @BG_couk

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Torvald Faust's Valkyr Rifle [Steampunk gun WIP]  (Read 10326 times)
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

Persistent pilfering privateer

« on: March 31, 2009, 08:35:53 pm »

Behold, ladies and gentlemen! The starting pieces of my first serious effort to build Steampunk weaponry, the parts out of which the Radiant Aether Infused Deadly Efficient Railgun, or R.A.I.D.E.R. for short, will be created:

On the first picture, you see the stock; the piece that started my serious planning. It's made in the wood workshop of a uncle of a friend of mine...free of charge, no less! Real wood, obviously, so, so far, real materials Smiley

The second picture is a small vase. I hope to turn one of it's handles the trigger guard and the rest...something else Wink

The third picture is what I believe to be the main part of a bong...A dubious find in some aspects, perhaps, but I find it's shape quite intriguing and I think it'll make a nice rear end for the rifle, once I've modified it a bit.

Speaking of the rifle, note the 'Railgun' in the name. I have thought about what I wanted to make, for my first gun, and for now, I have discarded the raygun and traditional slugthrower, in favor of something more exotic: a railgun. Steampunk being what it is, I have no doubts I will be able to make it fit. For the idea of the final rifle I have taken some inspiration from Warhammer 40.000, from the Tau Rail Rifle:

And here is my Photoshop 'sketch':

The coming few scavenger hunts on flea markets and from other sources will hopefully yield some more components. The best thing is, now, that I more or less know what I am hunting for; what kind of shapes to go for.

And now for something completely different...The name of this beast to be is not yet set in stone. Here are a few other names and abbreviations I've been playing with:

A.D.R.:
Aether
Driven
Railgun

V.I.P.E.R.:
Vorpal
I
Powered
Efficient
Railgun

W.A.R.:
Weaponized
Aether
Railgun

W.R.A.T.H.:
W
Railgun
A
T
H

R.A.G.E.:
Railgun
A
G
E

If anyone wants, feel free to fill in the blanks Smiley
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 10:57:23 am by Torvald_Faust » Logged

Silkstone
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

Your False North

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 08:41:42 pm »

I'm not sure about anyone else, but that bong looks like it could do some mighty fine damage. It looks like it'll go really well with the vase muthinger.
As soon as you said railgun, my dirty little mind goes to Star Wars :O I am having difficulty locating any pictures of it though - it's much more fun than using a lightsaber, that's for sure.

Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 08:50:39 pm »

I'm not sure about anyone else, but that bong looks like it could do some mighty fine damage.

It's quite hefty as-is, really. It's too bad the back part of it, with the 'plate', needs to go. Perhaps I can put that part on the other side to act as a 'converter' to a more box shape...Hmmm...

It looks like it'll go really well with the vase muthinger.

Who knows Wink

As soon as you said railgun, my dirty little mind goes to Star Wars :O I am having difficulty locating any pictures of it though - it's much more fun than using a lightsaber, that's for sure.

I'm not quite sure where you got that association, but, well, something Star Wars? That can not be bad Wink
Otto Von Pifka
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 09:17:48 pm »

the big plate part could go on the side like its part of a lock/ignition. or up front as some sort of shield from the blast.

if you could scrounge up an old baseboard radiator then you would have a good start on your barrels.

sometimes the easiest thing to do is to collect a vast ammount of bits and bobs and then start to randomly assemble them. the chimpanzee at the typewriter method works for me. Grin
Mr. Griffin
Officer

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 09:24:04 pm »

Mr. Faust,

I love your start, also I love the idea of the rail (tau) weapon. Great start I hope this process / project goes masterfully.

Mr. Griffin

Mr. Griffin
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 09:26:02 pm »

the big plate part could go on the side like its part of a lock/ignition. or up front as some sort of shield from the blast.

Good ideas...I like it Grin

if you could scrounge up an old baseboard radiator then you would have a good start on your barrels.

I had to look it up, but, I think you're quite right Smiley

sometimes the easiest thing to do is to collect a vast ammount of bits and bobs and then start to randomly assemble them. the chimpanzee at the typewriter method works for me. Grin

Ahahaha! Ah, yes, true that!

Mr. Faust,

I love your start, also I love the idea of the rail (tau) weapon. Great start I hope this process / project goes masterfully.

Mr. Griffin

Mr. Griffin,

Thank you for the reply and the compliments. Like you, I hope this project goes masterfully - and as intended Wink

Mr. Faust.
Silkstone
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

Your False North

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 09:28:30 pm »

"the big plate part could go on the side like its part of a lock/ignition. or up front as some sort of shield from the blast."
You'll definitely need something to make sure you don't go flying backwards/get singed eyebrows every time you fire it  Cool
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 09:52:35 pm »

I'll see what I can do with or about it Smiley The direction this will take next is largely depend on what I can find to be the 'block' the bong part(s) connect to.
Gadgeteer Extraordinaire
Snr. Officer

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 10:52:11 pm »

*snip*

And now for something completely different...The name of this beast to be is not yet set in stone. Here are a few other names and abbreviations I've been playing with:

I do so love anagrams, especially ones for weapons.  Once in writing a sci-fi story I had to come up with an anagram for a starship telporter that worked out to O.L.Y.M.P.U.S. Shocked  These will be fun.

A.D.R.:
Aether
Driven
Railgun

V.I.P.E.R.:

Victorian
Isoentropic
Propellent
Efficient
Railgun

W.A.R.:
Weaponized
Aether
Railgun

W.R.A.T.H.:
Wrought-iron
Rail
Assault
Tactical
Heavy-bore

R.A.G.E.:
Rail
Assault
Gaussian
Equalizer

that's a first stab, and my fav's are the WRATH Gun (WRATH Wrifle ?) and the RAGE Rifle.  I look forward to more of your work.

"He who breaks the old laws writes the new ones" -Nietzsche
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 10:54:51 pm »

Thanks for the help with the anagrams, Gadgeteer Smiley Some very nice work you have got there...
silastic armor fiend
Zeppelin Captain

mercenary, privateer and part-time tinkerer

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 02:48:29 am »

i do believe what you have there is not a "bong" but a hookah  Smiley. otherwise it looks like theres some potential in all those materials.

in this town of sleepy hollow, smiling like you do
in this town of sleepy hollow, could be me and you
Otto Von Pifka
Rogue Ætherlord

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 02:58:46 am »

the more I stare at it, the more that waterpipe looks like it should be on the front of the gun. maybe with the candle holder stuck in the end, but the tapered point looks very lethal all by itself.

you could go with two largish copper pipes as the coil barrels. then at the fore end would be two elbows with a "T" fitting in between, to go out into the waterpipe base.

I would be tempted to router a groove in the top and the bottom of the forward part of the gun, to accept those barrels. that would get the line of recoil down lower and make the gun more sleek. the back of the barrels could be copper caps or elbows with the ends pointing into the wood.

you could then add more accessories to the wood sides of the fore end and they would look like they tie into the mechanicals hidden within the wood.
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2009, 07:18:41 am »

i do believe what you have there is not a "bong" but a hookah  Smiley

Well, I have used neither device before, so I shall believe you on your word Wink

otherwise it looks like theres some potential in all those materials.

I am in total agreement - I am quite pleased to have found them Grin

the more I stare at it, the more that waterpipe looks like it should be on the front of the gun. maybe with the candle holder stuck in the end, but the tapered point looks very lethal all by itself.

you could go with two largish copper pipes as the coil barrels. then at the fore end would be two elbows with a "T" fitting in between, to go out into the waterpipe base.

I would be tempted to router a groove in the top and the bottom of the forward part of the gun, to accept those barrels. that would get the line of recoil down lower and make the gun more sleek. the back of the barrels could be copper caps or elbows with the ends pointing into the wood.

you could then add more accessories to the wood sides of the fore end and they would look like they tie into the mechanicals hidden within the wood.

Thanks for the suggestion, Otto Smiley I think I know what you mean and I shall give it some thought. But, if I understand you correctly, I feel the end product would look more like a raygun than what I want - not something bad persé, but I will take it into account.
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2009, 09:14:50 am »

As time goes by, plans change. That is a fact. And the plan for this gun has changed! Last weekend I was at a flea market and I bought this awesome, brass...thingamajig. My father figures it's an old welding torch and I am inclined to agree. Photonic captures of this item will follow as soon as possible Smiley

It will replace the hookah part as the main part of this gun. The main advantage of the torch is that it is pretty much ready to be mounted on the stock; the length and look of it match so nicely, one would almost think this is no coincidence Wink Speaking of length, the weapon will be shorter than my original plan; this means it will be a carbine Smiley

It will also mean I need a new name, but, well, that is simply and only slightly too bad Wink
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 09:17:05 am by Torvald_Faust » Logged
WillRockwell
Rogue Ætherlord

Revisiting history until we get it right

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2009, 05:06:38 pm »

That pitcher certainly has blunderbuss potential

Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2009, 06:05:45 pm »

True Smiley It is rather unfortunate, then, that the scale you have there is off Smiley

At any rate, as promised, photonic recordings of the new barrel/body assembly:

I think it does not need any more explanation why I am quite happy with this new part Grin

And as far as the name goes, inspired by the fact it is not that long and me stating that it would be a carbine, the following:

S.P.A.R.C.:
Special
Phased
Aether
Repeater
Carbine

S.P.A.R.C.:
Sub-Phased
Aether
Repeater
Carbine

S.P.A.R.C.:
Sub-Phased
Aether
Ray
Carbine

S.P.A.R.C.:
Sensibly
Patented
Aether
Repeater
Carbine
Wink
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 07:30:31 pm by Torvald_Faust » Logged
Mr. Hatchett
Zeppelin Overlord

Unnaturalist

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2009, 06:38:08 pm »

What a splendid piece of salvage!  I'm interested to see what you make of it.

When Friday comes, we'll all call rats fish.
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2009, 07:31:00 pm »

As am I Wink I think it will be just fine; I 'only' need to find a good way to mount it to the stock.
Alain Raethorne
Zeppelin Admiral

Browncoat and Firefly Flan

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2009, 01:36:29 am »

Oooh, snappy!

As usual, of course, captain.

Navigator aboard the AAV Raziel.

Gold is for the mistress-silver for the maid-
Copper for the craftsman cunning at his trade
"Good" said the Baron, sitting in his hall
"But Iron-Cold Iron-is master of them all."
Rao
Snr. Officer

TheGeekFather
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2009, 03:19:47 am »

True Smiley It is rather unfortunate, then, that the scale you have there is off Smiley

At any rate, as promised, photonic recordings of the new barrel/body assembly:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think it does not need any more explanation why I am quite happy with this new part Grin...........

Tell me you have two of those and they will be your rail accelerators.

Back when I first got interested in Steampunk I wanted to make a rail gun but I could never find or make rails that looked good enough. How long are these? By the thumbscrew in the one I'd say at least 12-14 inches from the coil cap to coil cap. Now that I've seen these pics I know how to make what I want bahhh.

(Hmmm copper or brass, copper or brass....Be spendy either way....Oh well....)

Raolin Aeromancer

Tinkerer
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2009, 07:54:27 am »

Oooh, snappy!

As usual, of course, captain.

Thank you, Alain Smiley And yes, quite snappy...You have no idea how giddy I was when bought it Grin

Tell me you have two of those and they will be your rail accelerators.

Alas, I only have this one...but I am quite sure it'll do Wink

Back when I first got interested in Steampunk I wanted to make a rail gun but I could never find or make rails that looked good enough.

I still have that problem Wink That I haven't found any suitable rails yet, is exactly the reason I've abbandoned the railgun idea so quickly.

How long are these? By the thumbscrew in the one I'd say at least 12-14 inches from the coil cap to coil cap. Now that I've seen these pics I know how to make what I want bahhh.

Your guess is fairly accurate Smiley The tapered front end adds about 5 inches.
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2009, 04:30:45 pm »

At long last, an update:

As one can see, a lot of work has been done since last time you saw the component parts.

As it stands now, the stock has received two coats of wood stain. But, only after I have succesfully closed off the top of the 'trigger hole'; the hole the woodworker made so I could add a trigger mechanism. Now I know how the gun will come together, I no longer need it; the trigger mechanism does not need to go through the whole stock Smiley

The barrel itself has had relatively little work done on it. The 'thumbscrew cap' has been replaced by a different threaded cap, one that looks less like it should be opened. To the front, I added some brass hardware to form the attachment point for the belt that I will attach to it. There were two threaded holes I wanted closed off, but as I could not find the right kind of bolt, I simply epoxy'ed two in place.

The most work was done in figuring out how I would attach the barrel to the stock. I finally found some red copper 'rings' that I could drill holes for in the stock, and closed tight around the barrel, followed by simply epoxy'ing the whole lot in place. As we speak, the various epoxy jobs are setting and I will be adding details tommorow Smiley
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 02:22:03 pm by Torvald_Faust » Logged
Captain Carne
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Gravatar

Captain Carne of the ship Deira

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2009, 05:30:10 pm »

Very good work!

And it is a shisha/hookah pipe but it can be used as a bong^_^
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2009, 05:36:41 pm »

Very good work!

Thank you Smiley Quite happy with how it has turned out so far - and quite anxious to start adding the details Wink
The Hon. Archibald Keyes
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

But Zeppelin!

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2009, 07:38:40 pm »

Nice nail polish, nice gun - and I'd like to point out that your inventive little assemblages of letters are not 'anagrams' but 'acronyms'. Easy mistake to make. Wink

Pew pew pew! I got you!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: