The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
May 19, 2019, 09:42:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grumpy Old* Men*  (Read 27705 times)
Mechanic
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

« Reply #75 on: April 20, 2009, 11:07:52 am »

Though I may have to turn in my grumpy old man card, there are two constants in social history: Glorifying the past generations, and moaning about the future ones. For illustration purposes only, The Great Generation did much that was praise worthy but I suspect for the majority not because they wanted to but because they had to. Further they brought us such wonders as criminal motor cycle gangs, Mutually Assured Destruction, apartheid, sit coms, mass produced crap and Walmart. So too further back, for every Opium War in China there is an elimination of slavery off Africa. So too for future generations, some good, some bad but overall just survival.

What makes me and keeps me grumpy is the every day twits of all ages who refuse to lead, follow or (especially) get out of the way.

Steampunk is in the eye of the beholder, in the hands of the tinkerer and in the needle of the costumer.
jarmara
Snr. Officer
England England

Tea anyone?

« Reply #76 on: April 20, 2009, 02:02:23 pm »

Though I may have to turn in my grumpy old man card, there are two constants in social history: Glorifying the past generations, and moaning about the future ones. For illustration purposes only, The Great Generation did much that was praise worthy but I suspect for the majority not because they wanted to but because they had to. Further they brought us such wonders as criminal motor cycle gangs, Mutually Assured Destruction, apartheid, sit coms, mass produced crap and Walmart. So too further back, for every Opium War in China there is an elimination of slavery off Africa. So too for future generations, some good, some bad but overall just survival.

What makes me and keeps me grumpy is the every day twits of all ages who refuse to lead, follow or (especially) get out of the way.
Well said  Sir!

"If you are cold,Tea will warm you.
If you are too heated,It will cool you.
If you are depressed,It will cheer you.
If you are excited,It will calm you." Gladstone.
Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth
« Reply #77 on: April 20, 2009, 02:50:57 pm »

My father, after seeing my cousin (who was wearing some ridiculous spiky bright-blue hairstye, god knows how many piercings in his face and half a mile of gaudy chain) said "These non-conformists are all the same,"

He's right, too.
Violet Rose
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #78 on: April 20, 2009, 04:19:06 pm »

"The children now love luxury; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are tyrants, not servants of the households. They no longer rise when their elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize over their teachers.I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on the frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words. When I was a boy, we were taught to be discreet and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise and impatient of restraint"
Plato(?)
 Cheesy

Plus ca change plus c'est la meme chose
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 04:21:04 pm by Violet Rose » Logged

I'm in Darkshines sewing swap!

Declaring war on mediocrity and a pox on the foot soldiers of stupidity
Albrecht
Zeppelin Captain
Germany Germany

Commanding Officer LZ-X1 Württemberg

« Reply #79 on: April 20, 2009, 06:25:36 pm »

"The children now love luxury; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are tyrants, not servants of the households. They no longer rise when their elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize over their teachers.I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on the frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words. When I was a boy, we were taught to be discreet and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise and impatient of restraint"
Plato(?)
 Cheesy

Thanks, that's the one I ment when I said Socrates... Embarrassed

As I said before: I'm laying the blame for the state of todays youth on my and my parents generation. The youth is just what we made them.

Hikaro Takayama
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

In Pennsilfaanish Deitschland

« Reply #80 on: April 20, 2009, 06:30:23 pm »

Yes, but do keep in mind that said phrase was uttered not long before the Macedonians completely overran Greece.... Similarly, the Romans became all "Pan et Circenses" before the Germans, Huns, etc completely wiped them off the face of the Earth...  Now, it would seem to be our turn, if nothing is done to remedy the situation.

"It is by steam alone that I set my contraptions in motion.
It is by combustion of coal and boiling water that the engines acquire speed.
For protection, the eyes acquire goggles,
The goggles become a warning.
It is by steam alone that I set my contraptions in motion."
Albrecht
Zeppelin Captain
Germany Germany

« Reply #81 on: April 20, 2009, 06:37:22 pm »

Yes, but do keep in mind that said phrase was uttered not long before the Macedonians completely overran Greece.... Similarly, the Romans became all "Pan et Circenses" before the Germans, Huns, etc completely wiped them off the face of the Earth...  Now, it would seem to be our turn, if nothing is done to remedy the situation.

Well, a number of "3rd World Countries" (Mexico, Brazil, India and China, amongst others) are cathcing up big time.

Always welcome change... Grin
Violet Rose
Snr. Officer

« Reply #82 on: April 20, 2009, 07:43:33 pm »

Plato(?)
 Cheesy

As I said before: I'm laying the blame for the state of todays youth on my and my parents generation. The youth is just what we made them.
I think it was in dialogue with Socrates .
Did you know that Socrates invented socks and Plato invented the plate ?
thegooddoctor
Deck Hand

@_Mr_V_
« Reply #83 on: April 20, 2009, 07:49:11 pm »

Heh, as much of a young whippersnapper as I am, there are a few things I've got to complain about.
-Scene kids: whiny, self-pitying, attention whores. Who try to be punk. And listen to shit music.
-Pop music (and American Idol): Awful, awful, music that has no instrumental or lyrical value, but somehow people eat it up like candy.

Indeed! Terrible, terrible things.

I have a joke for you though:
"How many scene kids does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
bahaha.
A knee slapper indeed.

"Man cannot separate means and enlightenment"
-Dune
Herr Döktor
Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
Governor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #84 on: April 20, 2009, 07:49:43 pm »

Plato(?)
 Cheesy

And Euripides trousers, you buy me a new pair.

Wink

Albrecht
Zeppelin Captain
Germany Germany

« Reply #85 on: April 20, 2009, 08:12:59 pm »

This hurts so much!
Violet Rose
Snr. Officer

« Reply #86 on: April 20, 2009, 08:34:32 pm »

Plato(?)
 Cheesy

And Euripides trousers, you buy me a new pair.

Wink

Arf arf!  Cheesy
Mister Hatter
Deck Hand

Clockwork Aristocrat

« Reply #87 on: April 20, 2009, 09:00:24 pm »

I'm only 15, but I'm quite the grumpy git.

The thing that annoys me more than anything else, is music. I love music, I practically revolve around it, and I'm tired of stupid ass Gangesters ruining Rap. Rap is one of the greatest Genres of music, But these guys seem intent of scooping up the Muck from the floor and gobbling it up.

Also, I'm goth, and I Get so pissed off by greasy overweight mallgoths thinking they're 'Unique' or 'Rebelling'
Hikaro Takayama
Zeppelin Admiral

In Pennsilfaanish Deitschland

« Reply #88 on: April 20, 2009, 09:15:58 pm »

Well, a number of "3rd World Countries" (Mexico, Brazil, India and China, amongst others) are cathcing up big time.

Always welcome change... Grin

I wouldn't mind China... Anyone who can run an empire that has lasted almost 10,000 years has got to be onto something. Wink ....Not to mention that they've got some of the world's best food (and I'm not talking about the Americanized stuff that's served at most so-called Chinese restaurants, but the REAL Chinese food that you can get from side-of-the-road restaurants and vendor carts in Hong Kong and Singapore!)
Albrecht
Zeppelin Captain
Germany Germany

« Reply #89 on: April 22, 2009, 08:32:59 am »

I'm only 15, but I'm quite the grumpy git.

The thing that annoys me more than anything else, is music. I love music, I practically revolve around it, and I'm tired of stupid ass Gangesters ruining Rap. Rap is one of the greatest Genres of music, But these guys seem intent of scooping up the Muck from the floor and gobbling it up.

Also, I'm goth, and I Get so pissed off by greasy overweight mallgoths thinking they're 'Unique' or 'Rebelling'

This may sound like a really grumpy old geezer now, so please Mister Hatter, be aware that I am not entirely serious about what I am saying:

Please do not judge others by your style standards. You are currently in a phase we all went through and you might not be Goth in three months, on the other hand, you could grow up to be an old Goth and still be a Goth 20 years on *looks at own birth date and dusts himself off*.

If you judge, go for morals, principles, character, education and the willingness to develop all of the aformentioned but please do not make judgements based on looks. Looks are superficial and so is the judgement.
Violet Rose
Snr. Officer

« Reply #90 on: April 22, 2009, 12:19:03 pm »

Another annoying thing - professional writers misusing "enormity" to mean "very big" instead of "horrific"
Mister Hatter
Deck Hand

Clockwork Aristocrat

« Reply #91 on: April 22, 2009, 09:52:44 pm »

This may sound like a really grumpy old geezer now, so please Mister Hatter, be aware that I am not entirely serious about what I am saying:

Please do not judge others by your style standards. You are currently in a phase we all went through and you might not be Goth in three months, on the other hand, you could grow up to be an old Goth and still be a Goth 20 years on *looks at own birth date and dusts himself off*.

If you judge, go for morals, principles, character, education and the willingness to develop all of the aformentioned but please do not make judgements based on looks. Looks are superficial and so is the judgement.

Maybe I Worded my last post wrong, let me try again.

I am genuinely goth, and have been for a few years, as in I listen to Goth rock (Bauhaus, Alien sex fiend, Siouxsie and the banshees, Etc.) And actively go to goth clubs. I Just get annoyed when people call Marilyn Manson or Slipknot or other equally generic band/groups goth. I was just Being a Grumpy git and generalising about the Greasy Overweight Part.

If you were mentioning the Gangester part, I don't think I mentioned anything to do with looks
Albrecht
Zeppelin Captain
Germany Germany

« Reply #92 on: April 22, 2009, 09:59:16 pm »

I am genuinely goth, and have been for a few years, as in I listen to Goth rock (Bauhaus, Alien sex fiend, Siouxsie and the banshees, Etc.) And actively go to goth clubs. I Just get annoyed when people call Marilyn Manson or Slipknot or other equally generic band/groups goth. I was just Being a Grumpy git and generalising about the Greasy Overweight Part.

If you were mentioning the Gangester part, I don't think I mentioned anything to do with looks

You are 15 and have listened to ASF and Siouxsie for a few years? When did you start and who are your parents? Shocked Shocked
Mister Hatter
Deck Hand

Clockwork Aristocrat

« Reply #93 on: April 23, 2009, 12:08:32 pm »

You are 15 and have listened to ASF and Siouxsie for a few years? When did you start and who are your parents? Shocked Shocked

People with the largest record collection that I know of Grin
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #94 on: April 23, 2009, 12:16:51 pm »

The first concert I ever went to was Souisxie and the Banshees. I was four years old, and my mum took me. She painted my nails black and stuck my hair up with sugar syrup. That was back in 89. The first record I owned was Meatloaf's Bat Out of Hell on 12 inch vinyl. My mum gave me 50p to spend at a boot fair and told me I could get whatever I wanted. I bought it because it had a pretty cover, and I listened to it so much, the needle wore through the vinyl. I was 5 years old.

Some of us are BORN into it.

Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

www.etsy.com/shop/celticroseart
David Godfrey Esq.
Zeppelin Captain

Its probably best not to ask really...

« Reply #95 on: April 23, 2009, 12:23:17 pm »

And some of us come to it later than others. I was born into Tom Lehrer and Flanders and Swann, and discovered proper goth when I went to Uni.

Reunite Gondwanaland!
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #96 on: April 23, 2009, 12:27:37 pm »

I was merely pointing out that is someone seems to make an outlandish claim about how long they have been following a movement, it is not necessary fiction. I personally don't give a hoot, people should be allowed to live however they like and do what feels right for them at whatever point in their lives they feel appropriate.
David Godfrey Esq.
Zeppelin Captain

Its probably best not to ask really...

« Reply #97 on: April 23, 2009, 12:43:37 pm »

I was merely pointing out that is someone seems to make an outlandish claim about how long they have been following a movement, it is not necessary fiction. I personally don't give a hoot, people should be allowed to live however they like and do what feels right for them at whatever point in their lives they feel appropriate.

Indeed. No argument there at all. Equally, it doesn't make them superior in any way. Sadly some people don't seem to understand that and you end up with the elitist wankers. (None of whom are in evidence around here I might add.)
Albrecht
Zeppelin Captain
Germany Germany

« Reply #98 on: April 23, 2009, 01:03:24 pm »

It's not an outlandish claim. I will be 36 this year, a friend who is 10 years my senior introduced me to Sisters of Merci and Siouxsie in 1988 (coincidentally, I also started playing D&D that same year) Cheesy
Violet Rose
Snr. Officer

« Reply #99 on: April 23, 2009, 01:19:49 pm »

And some of us come to it later than others. I was born into Tom Lehrer and Flanders and Swann, and discovered proper goth when I went to Uni.

Ah Flanders and Swann - "The Cannibal Song"

The original goths (did anyone ever see pictures of them ever wearing anything but black ? )  Wink
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: