The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 25, 2019, 11:38:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grumpy Old* Men*  (Read 26833 times)
Albrecht
Zeppelin Captain
Germany Germany

Commanding Officer LZ-X1 Württemberg

« Reply #200 on: April 30, 2009, 07:55:19 am »

On the subject of semantics, can I just say that I have an "issue" with the use of the word "issue" instead of the word "problem". When did "problem" become a dirty word? Did I miss the memo?
Is it because "problems" require solutions, and no one wants (or can be bothered) to try to find solutions any more?
On a similar line, why is it that a man cannot be free to be in a bad mood? It's always some sort of travesty to be grumpy. Everyone rushes to your aid as if you're on your deathbed and the only way to save you is to make you smile. Ought to just leave you alone, the mood will pass on its own.

It's silly.

Hmmmm...
I never experienced this problem. When I'm in a foul mood, which doesn't often happen, my wife usually let's me play some shoot-em-up until I feel better. On the other hand: Never be grumpy around your parents (at least not mine), unless you want to be treated like a 5-year old.

James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #201 on: April 30, 2009, 10:01:04 am »

I am grumpy because of whining children that don't want to help their father.

Yes, and it's practically every single day... and it's tiring after a while... and he has two other grown sons who rarely lift a finger to help out.  So pray excuse me if I occasionally baulk at being expected to drop everything and scrap my own plans at short notice, when one of my brothers is doing nothing and yet refuses to assist.     
Not bashing you my friend, just pointing out what makes me grumpy. But I offer you this solemn promise from a truly Grumpy Old Man, one day  when you are the Father it will make you grumpy also..

Haha!  Just as well I don't intend to have children!  Cheesy

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Von Gast
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Gentleman Racer and Explorer

« Reply #202 on: April 30, 2009, 10:12:52 am »

On the subject of semantics, can I just say that I have an "issue" with the use of the word "issue" instead of the word "problem". When did "problem" become a dirty word? Did I miss the memo?
Is it because "problems" require solutions, and no one wants (or can be bothered) to try to find solutions any more?

You're not the only one. I think "issue" is used because they think "problem" implies that it's someone's fault, which doesn't fit with the current fluffy let's-all-sit-in-a-circle-and-talk-about-our-feelings nonsense mindset.

Too damn right it's someone's fault! So fix the problem!
Dr Prunesquallor
Gunner

« Reply #203 on: April 30, 2009, 11:47:59 am »

I think "issue" is used because they think "problem" implies that it's someone's fault, which doesn't fit with the current fluffy let's-all-sit-in-a-circle-and-talk-about-our-feelings nonsense mindset.

Too damn right it's someone's fault! So fix the problem!

That's exactly it! I completely agree.

"Doctor Prunesquallor, with his hyena laugh, his bizarre and elegant body, his celluloid face. His main defects? The insufferable pitch of his voice; his maddening laughter and his affected gestures. His cardinal virtue? An undamaged brain."
Violet Rose
Snr. Officer

« Reply #204 on: April 30, 2009, 12:54:18 pm »

On a similar line, why is it that a man cannot be free to be in a bad mood? It's always some sort of travesty to be grumpy. Everyone rushes to your aid as if you're on your deathbed and the only way to save you is to make you smile. Ought to just leave you alone, the mood will pass on its own.

It's silly.

Hah!
You try being grumpy if you are a woman - if you do not go about with a rictus like grin plastered to your face at all times you are open to complete strangers (almost always male) exhorting you to "cheer up love it may never happen".
Now of course they would say they are just being nice and trying to cheer up a laydee but I think it is a damned imposition.

I'm in Darkshines sewing swap!

Declaring war on mediocrity and a pox on the foot soldiers of stupidity
Violet Rose
Snr. Officer

« Reply #205 on: April 30, 2009, 02:03:37 pm »

As for the things that make my teeth itch... I have a list.

Foremost among them at the moment, going into a shop or convenience store and having the counter help become unable to hang up the damn phone long enough to take my order or ring up my purchases, or just answer a question.

I mean, if taking care of customers is too much trouble, why bother opening the shop?

And don't act like I'm inconveniencing you by expecting you to do you job, bitch, or I'll reach back there and snatch that ring right out of your nose and run your cell phone through the coffee grinder... Just get me my cigars and stow the attitude.

Worse than that ... I have been commissioned to illustrate/design a book and had to go to a meeting with the author at the printers.
The person we ostensibly had been booked to see took three phone calls during the meeting to other customers and to add insult to injury seemed to know diddly squat about what papers etc were available - no swatches nothing !
Marrock
« Reply #206 on: April 30, 2009, 03:07:16 pm »

Worse than that ... I have been commissioned to illustrate/design a book and had to go to a meeting with the author at the printers.
The person we ostensibly had been booked to see took three phone calls during the meeting to other customers and to add insult to injury seemed to know diddly squat about what papers etc were available - no swatches nothing !

I've had similar experiences at job interviews, the schmuck takes cell phone calls right in the middle of it, no "excuse me a moment" or "Just a sec" or anything, just *ring*, *click*, "Hello"... So I just sit there and stare at them the entire time they're on the phone.

Amazing how short the calls become... never got any of the jobs though, can't imagine why.
Violet Rose
Snr. Officer

« Reply #207 on: April 30, 2009, 04:03:40 pm »

I've had similar experiences at job interviews, the schmuck takes cell phone calls right in the middle of it, no "excuse me a moment" or "Just a sec" or anything, just *ring*, *click*, "Hello"... So I just sit there and stare at them the entire time they're on the phone.

Amazing how short the calls become... never got any of the jobs though, can't imagine why.

Good for you - quite frankly if that is the standard you wouldn't want to work there.

I would only take a phone call when in a meeting with someone a) if it was urgent and b) if there was no-one else who could deal with it ... and only then with profuse apologies.
Von Gast
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #208 on: May 03, 2009, 09:33:59 pm »

Have we had "Wanton Cruelty to the Common Apostrophe" yet?

There is a cafe near me named "Fresh Fill's" (sic). I find myself wondering what fresh fill is, or alternatively who fresh fill is if the cafe belongs to said person. I'm not sure who the bigger idiot is really. The one who wrote the sign, or the one who spent some time applying it to the building without noticing.

Even worse, I saw "learned" spelled as "learn't" today. The unfortunate problem of social networking sites - former schoolfriends whose attempts at communication make your eyes bleed will add you, the result being that you're subjected to their mangled linguistic disasters when you log in.
Herr Döktor
Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
Governor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #209 on: May 03, 2009, 10:51:14 pm »

Have we had "Wanton Cruelty to the Common Apostrophe" yet?

There is a cafe near me named "Fresh Fill's" (sic). I find myself wondering what fresh fill is, or alternatively who fresh fill is if the cafe belongs to said person. I'm not sure who the bigger idiot is really. The one who wrote the sign, or the one who spent some time applying it to the building without noticing.

It also vaguely niggles me when the rogue apostrophe attacks, my favorite being the printed sign in the local charity shop that proclaims the sale of

BOOKS
VIDEOS
DVD'S
&
CD'S

If neither BOOKS nor VIDEOS require an "'" to denote pluralisation, what makes CD's and DVD'S different?

Even worse, I saw "learned" spelled as "learn't" today. The unfortunate problem of social networking sites - former schoolfriends whose attempts at communication make your eyes bleed will add you, the result being that you're subjected to their mangled linguistic disasters when you log in.

I do believe that "learn't" is an archaic form of learned/learnt, so mayhap the fellow in question was playing temporal linguistics with you?

Smiley

Arvis
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Never underestimate the power of a hairless monkey

« Reply #210 on: May 04, 2009, 01:31:58 pm »

BOOKS
VIDEOS
DVD'S
&
CD'S

If neither BOOKS nor VIDEOS require an "'" to denote pluralisation, what makes CD's and DVD'S different?

Because DVD and CD are acronyms where as books and videos are not. "People" (who generally are not too bright to begin with) would actually wonder what the "S" stood for with out the apostrophe. (and that's what makes me grumpy.

So, it should read...(I think) 
BOOKS
VEDIOS
DVD
&
CD

Please bear in mind that English is not a strong point of mine nor do I have any formal form of "higher learning".  Tongue

DAG-NABBIT...I cut it and cut it and cut it... an it's STILL TOO SHORT!
Violet Rose
Snr. Officer

« Reply #211 on: May 04, 2009, 02:40:16 pm »

I do believe that "learn't" is an archaic form of learned/learnt, so mayhap the fellow in question was playing temporal linguistics with you?

Smiley

That was my first thought but I suspect it is probably less an homage to Elizabethan English than an incorrect analogy to "can't" "isn't" etc
Violet Rose
Snr. Officer

« Reply #212 on: May 04, 2009, 02:43:37 pm »

BOOKS
VIDEOS
DVD'S
&
CD'S

Because DVD and CD are acronyms where as books and videos are not. "People" (who generally are not too bright to begin with) would actually wonder what the "S" stood for with out the apostrophe. (and that's what makes me grumpy.

BOOKS
VEDIOS
DVD
&
CD

Please bear in mind that English is not a strong point of mine nor do I have any formal form of "higher learning".  Tongue

The solution is to ban acronyms and then it could read
Books
Videos
Digital Video Discs
and
Compact Discs
jringling
Time Traveler

convicted Rogue and Vagabond…long story…

« Reply #213 on: May 04, 2009, 02:55:41 pm »

Books
Videos
Digital Video Discs
and
Compact Discs
Or:
Books
Videos
DVDs
and
CDs

Arvis
Zeppelin Admiral

Never underestimate the power of a hairless monkey

« Reply #214 on: May 04, 2009, 02:59:33 pm »

BOOKS
VIDEOS
DVD'S
&
CD'S

BOOKS
VEDIOS
DVD
&
CD

Books
Videos
Digital Video Discs
and
Compact Discs
Excellent, we'll start an organization dedicated to the abolishment of acronyms.
We can call it the Society To Abolish Blatant Acronyms.... or S.T.A.B.A for short.

Roll Eyes
Dr Prunesquallor
Gunner

« Reply #215 on: May 04, 2009, 03:34:47 pm »

Smiley

I can't find "learn't" in any dictionary as an archaic or alternate form of "learnt". Maybe you were thinking of "learn'd" - a contraction of the adjective "learned", meaning "having much knowledge" - as in the title of the Walt Whitman poem "When I Heard the Learn'd Astronomer".
Violet Rose
Snr. Officer

« Reply #216 on: May 04, 2009, 04:51:08 pm »

There is always the possibility that the interlocutor was from Yorkshire.
Think on't
jringling
Time Traveler

« Reply #217 on: May 04, 2009, 04:53:31 pm »

There is always the possibility that the interlocutor was from Yorkshire.
Think on't
'tis pos'ble
Herr Döktor
Governor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #218 on: May 04, 2009, 05:10:20 pm »

'Appen, like as not, 'tis.
Dr Prunesquallor
Gunner

« Reply #219 on: May 04, 2009, 05:33:52 pm »

Eee...well, I'll go to t'foot of our stairs...
Violet Rose
Snr. Officer

« Reply #220 on: May 04, 2009, 05:43:25 pm »

There's trouble up t' mill
Herr Döktor
Governor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #221 on: May 04, 2009, 05:53:50 pm »

Jus round't corna issa mill, t'owner ofwich insists is called "Trublatt Mill".

And ya tellit ta kids these days, and they won't believe ya!

Smiley
jringling
Time Traveler

« Reply #222 on: May 04, 2009, 05:56:14 pm »

yes sah, 'tis da trut, so's I b'n told
Von Gast
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #223 on: May 04, 2009, 08:15:47 pm »

Given the person in question hails from Herefordshire it is more likely that they're simply ignorant...
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #224 on: May 05, 2009, 03:44:11 pm »

Paypal and Edward Bay's emporium have between them succeeded in getting me grumpy...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: