The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 20, 2019, 11:01:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grumpy Old* Men*  (Read 26730 times)
Arvis
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Never underestimate the power of a hairless monkey

« Reply #175 on: April 26, 2009, 06:01:31 pm »

I'm wondering if you knew that there is no proper name for the back of the knee.

The diamond shaped area at the back of the knee joint is called the "popliteal space" which could serve at a pinch

Why not just use "Kneepit"? 10 points to anyone who can identify this body part:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
-Matt

That's a part of skin on the far southern part of the spine. And as far as I know, due to anatomy, only men have it.

Slightly off, the spine doesn't run that far down, but pretty much there so +5 points to you.
-Matt

I know, I just did not want to say "butt". Wink

Eww...
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=biffkin
 Had to look it up so no reward. However after a short discusion with the wife we came up with the American equivalent.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=taint
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 06:08:59 pm by Arvis » Logged

DAG-NABBIT...I cut it and cut it and cut it... an it's STILL TOO SHORT!
Herr Döktor
Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
Governor
Master Tinkerer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #176 on: April 26, 2009, 06:08:31 pm »

I really dislike the way that words from Viz Comic's "Rogers Profanisaurus" are entering the language as legitimate words.

Oh, wait, no I don't...

Huh

Matthias Gladstone
Zeppelin Admiral

Call me Ishmael

« Reply #177 on: April 26, 2009, 07:11:39 pm »

I really dislike the way that words from Viz Comic's "Rogers Profanisaurus" are entering the language as legitimate words.

Oh, wait, no I don't...

Huh

A friend of mine, a biology teacher, claims credit for it (or at least he didn't think anyone else knew it). He used to write "Investigating the makeup and elasticity of the biffkin" on his lesson plans, "safe" in the knowledge no-one else knew what it meant.
-Matt

Southampton University Steampunk Society:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/184948814914233/
Dusza Beben
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #178 on: April 27, 2009, 02:38:29 am »

I'm wondering if you knew that there is no proper name for the back of the knee.

The diamond shaped area at the back of the knee joint is called the "popliteal space" which could serve at a pinch

Are you saying that you would like yours pinched?
Madame! Just what sort of rogues do you take us for?

We're mostly nibblers.

Wink

DB

Brought to you by, Muahahahah INC, we add the "muaha" to your "hahah"
Candor1
Deck Hand

« Reply #179 on: April 27, 2009, 03:59:05 am »

Pardon I appear to be lost.  Are we Grumpy about kneepit's, or is this just a clever attempt at changing the subject?
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #180 on: April 27, 2009, 04:26:56 am »

Pardon I appear to be lost.  Are we Grumpy about kneepit's, or is this just a clever attempt at changing the subject?

Neither; we're all just easily distracted.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Violet Rose
Snr. Officer

« Reply #181 on: April 27, 2009, 12:18:00 pm »

What do you mean easily.....Oooh shiny!

I'm in Darkshines sewing swap!

Declaring war on mediocrity and a pox on the foot soldiers of stupidity
Candor1
Deck Hand

« Reply #182 on: April 28, 2009, 03:26:50 am »

On I am so relieved I like Grumpy, and just when I find the perfect subject it looked to be taking a  left turn.

So I say Long Live Grumpy....I revel in it, I bathe in it, it keeps me warm on the long cold nights. 
With practice Grumpy can be a performing art form.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #183 on: April 28, 2009, 08:41:28 am »

I'm a little grumpy this morning because I know I'm being used.  My father assumes that because I helped him out once I'll be willing to drop everything and help him out again.  And again.  And again. 

I had plans yesterday I had to cancel so instead I could spend six hours in a car whilst he went to various interviews.  Today I had plans I had to cancel because he's gone on some course and wants me to stay in so someone can let him back into the house. 

Whenever I mention something I plan on doing, all I ever get is that I can't do it on such-and-such a day because he's going somewhere or doing something and wants me to put everything on hold to help him out.  And it's really starting to annoy me now. 

Okay, rant over.   

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Sean Patrick O-Byrne
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

Belligerent Hairy-Bloke and Improper Philospher

« Reply #184 on: April 28, 2009, 07:29:28 pm »

Why not just use "Kneepit"? 10 points to anyone who can identify this body part:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
-Matt

That's a part of skin on the far southern part of the spine. And as far as I know, due to anatomy, only men have it.

Slightly off, the spine doesn't run that far down, but pretty much there so +5 points to you.
-Matt

I know, I just did not want to say "butt". Wink

Eww...
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=biffkin
 Had to look it up so no reward. However after a short discusion with the wife we came up with the American equivalent.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=taint
There's a different one in the great white north...
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gouche

Well I've worked among the spitters and I've breathed the oily smoke
I've shovelled up the gypsum and it neigh 'on makes you choke
I've stood knee deep cyanide, got sick with a caustic burn
Been working rough, I've seen enough, to make your stomach turn

www.doctorsteel.com
Violet Rose
Snr. Officer

« Reply #185 on: April 28, 2009, 07:53:38 pm »

People who do not clear up after their dogs when they shit in public places.

Next time I see it happen I will follow them home and post it back through their letterbox
Arvis
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #186 on: April 28, 2009, 07:59:02 pm »

Next time I see it happen I will follow them home and post it back through their letterbox

Now that has class.  Cool
Matthias Gladstone
Zeppelin Admiral

Call me Ishmael

« Reply #187 on: April 28, 2009, 10:09:46 pm »

Making sure, of course, you put it in a brown paper bag fisr and set fire to it. So if they don't stamp it out their house burns down.
I'm sick and tired of getting crap on my shoes everytime I walk to college.
I'm also sick of this media hype about everything; the way they go on you'd think we're headed for a new apaocalypse every day.
-Matt
Arvis
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #188 on: April 28, 2009, 11:31:40 pm »

I'm also sick of this media hype about everything; the way they go on you'd think we're headed for a new apaocalypse every day.
-Matt

Eh, they desensitising us for the real Apocalypse. (it's for your own good you know)
Candor1
Deck Hand

« Reply #189 on: April 29, 2009, 01:59:31 am »

I am grumpy because of whining children that don't want to help their father.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #190 on: April 29, 2009, 08:49:20 am »

Yes, and it's practically every single day... and it's tiring after a while... and he has two other grown sons who rarely lift a finger to help out.  So pray excuse me if I occasionally baulk at being expected to drop everything and scrap my own plans at short notice, when one of my brothers is doing nothing and yet refuses to assist.     
Dr Prunesquallor
Gunner

« Reply #191 on: April 29, 2009, 10:22:33 am »

On the subject of semantics, can I just say that I have an "issue" with the use of the word "issue" instead of the word "problem". When did "problem" become a dirty word? Did I miss the memo?
Is it because "problems" require solutions, and no one wants (or can be bothered) to try to find solutions any more?

"Doctor Prunesquallor, with his hyena laugh, his bizarre and elegant body, his celluloid face. His main defects? The insufferable pitch of his voice; his maddening laughter and his affected gestures. His cardinal virtue? An undamaged brain."
Violet Rose
Snr. Officer

« Reply #192 on: April 29, 2009, 11:59:17 am »

On the subject of semantics, can I just say that I have an "issue" with the use of the word "issue"

Bless you !
Dr Prunesquallor
Gunner

« Reply #193 on: April 29, 2009, 01:53:47 pm »

Thank you - it's the hay fever, don't you know.
Herr Döktor
Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
Governor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #194 on: April 29, 2009, 07:01:28 pm »

I have taken to replying to the rejoinder "I have an issue" with "Why? Your nose isn't running..."

Wink
David Godfrey Esq.
Zeppelin Captain

Its probably best not to ask really...

« Reply #195 on: April 29, 2009, 07:04:36 pm »

I have taken to replying to the rejoinder "I have an issue" with "Why? Your nose isn't running..."

Wink

I always puts a poultice on mine...

Reunite Gondwanaland!
Sean Patrick O-Byrne
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

Belligerent Hairy-Bloke and Improper Philospher

« Reply #196 on: April 29, 2009, 08:59:19 pm »

On the subject of semantics, can I just say that I have an "issue" with the use of the word "issue" instead of the word "problem". When did "problem" become a dirty word? Did I miss the memo?
Is it because "problems" require solutions, and no one wants (or can be bothered) to try to find solutions any more?
On a similar line, why is it that a man cannot be free to be in a bad mood? It's always some sort of travesty to be grumpy. Everyone rushes to your aid as if you're on your deathbed and the only way to save you is to make you smile. Ought to just leave you alone, the mood will pass on its own.

It's silly.
Marrock
« Reply #197 on: April 30, 2009, 02:54:19 am »

I have something new to be grumpy about! How is it that when I add "If you are bidding from outside the UK, please email me before bidding!" on the end of my ebay auctions, I still end up with winners from Greece, Hungary and Italy? It annoys me so much, I can barely type, my rage is making my eye twitch. I feel like charging the bastards £10 each just so they will learn! GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Try mentioning in the listing the extra charge for failing to e-mail, see if it makes a difference.

Hey look, a squirrel!

On a similar line, why is it that a man cannot be free to be in a bad mood? It's always some sort of travesty to be grumpy. Everyone rushes to your aid as if you're on your deathbed and the only way to save you is to make you smile. Ought to just leave you alone, the mood will pass on its own.

It's silly.

Amen, when I'm in a foul mood, just leave it be and it'll pass eventually.

Picking at it like a fresh scab trying to cheer me up or act like whatever reason why I'm in a foul mood is nonsense will most definitely not be of any help whatsoever, just walk away, you'll live a longer happier life.

Took my girlfriend about two years to learn that one, now she knows to just back away slowly and not show any teeth when I get really quiet.

As for the things that make my teeth itch... I have a list.

Foremost among them at the moment, going into a shop or convenience store and having the counter help become unable to hang up the damn phone long enough to take my order or ring up my purchases, or just answer a question.

I mean, if taking care of customers is too much trouble, why bother opening the shop?

And don't act like I'm inconveniencing you by expecting you to do you job, bitch, or I'll reach back there and snatch that ring right out of your nose and run your cell phone through the coffee grinder... Just get me my cigars and stow the attitude.
Candor1
Deck Hand

« Reply #198 on: April 30, 2009, 04:16:29 am »

If anything gets me Grumpy it is the English language. How can so many words have so many meanings and only one spelling?

Issue: a discharge (as of blood) from the body, (Merriam-Webster online).

Wow I hope I never have an Issue it could be a problem, and that would really make me grumpy.
Candor1
Deck Hand

« Reply #199 on: April 30, 2009, 04:30:15 am »

Yes, and it's practically every single day... and it's tiring after a while... and he has two other grown sons who rarely lift a finger to help out.  So pray excuse me if I occasionally baulk at being expected to drop everything and scrap my own plans at short notice, when one of my brothers is doing nothing and yet refuses to assist.     
Not bashing you my friend, just pointing out what makes me grumpy. But I offer you this solemn promise from a truly Grumpy Old Man, one day  when you are the Father it will make you grumpy also..

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: