The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 21, 2019, 01:35:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grumpy Old* Men*  (Read 26732 times)
Violet Rose
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #150 on: April 25, 2009, 09:46:20 am »

You know what I'm grumpy about? The way Violet Rose looks at me
over her glasses like that! I mean, sure I'm guilty. But not of what she's thinking!

O.K., I'll cop to that too! Just stop with the eyes!!!

DB

Impertinent child !

I'm in Darkshines sewing swap!

Declaring war on mediocrity and a pox on the foot soldiers of stupidity
Violet Rose
Snr. Officer

« Reply #151 on: April 25, 2009, 09:48:14 am »

They only taught you what they'd been taught, history is mostly a concensus!

Smiley

And one written by the winners at that.

Mind you, cabal was a very convenient mnemonic
Why would you want a loser to write your history?  Roll Eyes

Because people learn more from failure than success
Albrecht
Zeppelin Captain
Germany Germany

Commanding Officer LZ-X1 Württemberg

« Reply #152 on: April 25, 2009, 10:12:47 am »

over her glasses like that! I mean, sure I'm guilty. But not of what she's thinking!

DB

Impertinent child !

This phrase usually means "the youngster is my intellectual superior but I am too proud to admit it."  Hang on: this is Grumpy old men not Sociologists R Us, where's my medication...

darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #153 on: April 25, 2009, 10:23:19 am »

I'd like t be grumpy about people complaining when they have an easier job than me. As a bartender, my customer turnver is FAST, one average I serve a person a minute. Some are longer, some are shorter, but thats the average. People RARELY leave a tip in these circumstances, unless I have made a particularly complicated order, or they take a shine to me, most people in Cardiff order, get their drink, pay, and walk away, it doesn't even enter their heads. Last night, when the tips between 5 bartenders were split, we got less than a tenner each.

Now the servers at my work spend about between a half hour and an hour per table when we are busy. Thats a turn over thats 30-60 times slower than me. Their average tip is £10 a table, and they possible see 6-12 tables a day. They take an order, wait for it to come down, then carry to a table. Tey take the dirty plates away at the end, and clean up. Thats is. Yet these people take home a good £50-70 a day in tips.

What I am angry about is how they have the right to complain, cry, get angry at customers, when all they are are glorified plate carriers. If the job is relly that hard, we could get a monkey, or a robot. If I was making that much tips a day, I wouldn't complain about anything! I put up with so much more crap than they do, and I never whinge/cry to anyone! I do my job and grit my teeth. Maybe they all need to come down and do a Friday night shift on the bar, when its four deep, someones smashed a glass on one side of the bar, someone else has vomited on the other, two guys are beating the crap out of each other and theres no pint glasses left! THAT will give them something to complain about!

Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

www.etsy.com/shop/celticroseart
David Godfrey Esq.
Zeppelin Captain

Its probably best not to ask really...

« Reply #154 on: April 25, 2009, 10:40:09 am »

What I am angry about is how they have the right to complain, cry, get angry at customers, when all they are are glorified plate carriers.

Ah the glory of "Tip Wank". In full force its a sight to behold.

Reunite Gondwanaland!
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #155 on: April 25, 2009, 10:45:41 am »

Seriously. They even wear skin tight minidresses, they don't even have to be nice to people!
jarmara
Snr. Officer
England England

Tea anyone?

« Reply #156 on: April 25, 2009, 01:28:52 pm »

They take an order, wait for it to come down, then carry to a table. They take the dirty plates away at the end, and clean up. That's is. Yet these people take home a good £50-70 a day in tips.

What I am angry about is how they have the right to complain, cry, get angry at customers, when all they are are glorified plate carriers. If the job is really that hard, we could get a monkey, or a robot. If I was making that much tips a day, I wouldn't complain about anything! I put up with so much more crap than they do, and I never whinge/cry to anyone! I do my job and grit my teeth. Maybe they all need to come down and do a Friday night shift on the bar, when its four deep, someones smashed a glass on one side of the bar, someone else has vomited on the other, two guys are beating the crap out of each other and theres no pint glasses left! THAT will give them something to complain about!

Having been a waitress i wish my job had been as simple as you describe. both bartending and waitressing  are hard work but in different ways BUT  the places that i have worked in have always split the tips fairly between bar staff AND table waiting staff it all went in to the pot and was divided up at the END of the week between ALL the staff. A restaurant doesn't work if the bar is badly run and vice versa. I always make a point of being polite to bar and table staff because i have seen what goes on behind the bar /kitchen door when a customer upsets a staff member not nice at all !!! Lips sealed

"If you are cold,Tea will warm you.
If you are too heated,It will cool you.
If you are depressed,It will cheer you.
If you are excited,It will calm you." Gladstone.
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #157 on: April 25, 2009, 01:42:52 pm »

Yeah, these servers have never worked the bar before, and although they do "tip out" the bar, the average is about £2 between the five of us! I have been a waitress before, I find it a far easier job, and I would love to be a server at my place! Every time they moan to me, I say "wanna trade jobs?". They soon shut up.
Dusza Beben
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #158 on: April 25, 2009, 01:47:42 pm »

DB

Impertinent child !

You bet I am! Though I haven't been called child in many moons.
Thank you for that!  Smiley

DB

Brought to you by, Muahahahah INC, we add the "muaha" to your "hahah"
Matthias Gladstone
Zeppelin Admiral

Call me Ishmael

« Reply #159 on: April 25, 2009, 01:50:04 pm »

Yeah, these servers have never worked the bar before, and although they do "tip out" the bar, the average is about £2 between the five of us! I have been a waitress before, I find it a far easier job, and I would love to be a server at my place! Every time they moan to me, I say "wanna trade jobs?". They soon shut up.

Go and work in the kitchen, you get the benefit of tips without having to even set eyes on the general public!
Seriously though, if your managers are worth their salt they should put all of the tips in the pot and share it out evenly among the staff. Thats what they've done at the places i've worked. They divide it into an hourly "rate" then give you a portion of the tip based on how many hours you've worked.
-Matt

Southampton University Steampunk Society:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/184948814914233/
Violet Rose
Snr. Officer

« Reply #160 on: April 25, 2009, 03:42:25 pm »

DB

Impertinent child !

This phrase usually means "the youngster is my intellectual superior but I am too proud to admit it."  Hang on: this is Grumpy old men not Sociologists R Us, where's my medication...

cf also "smart arse bitch"  Cheesy
Violet Rose
Snr. Officer

« Reply #161 on: April 25, 2009, 03:45:58 pm »

I have never worked bar but I fleetingly worked as a waitress in a BHS "restaurant" it was one of the worst jobs of my life.
It was so dull I actually volunteered for a transfer to the kitchens to work on the washing up machine; it was nauseating but you didn't have to make an effort to be nice
Goby
Gunner

My story gears are finally turning again!

« Reply #162 on: April 25, 2009, 05:12:29 pm »

I'm grumpy of the fact that younger and younger girls are dressing sluttier than ever and their parents don't even give a damn.
I'm grumpy of the fact that 4chan still exists.
I'm grumpy of the fact that just as I began looking for a job the economy broke.
I'm grumpy of the fact that Brockencyde is considered music.

I've vented.

--Goby--
Arvis
Zeppelin Admiral

Never underestimate the power of a hairless monkey

« Reply #163 on: April 25, 2009, 05:31:54 pm »

Smiley

Beggin your pardon ma'am, but a "person" can learn more from failure than from success. "People" as a whole learn very little if anything from failure. Otherwise history would not be doomed to repeat itself.

DAG-NABBIT...I cut it and cut it and cut it... an it's STILL TOO SHORT!
Violet Rose
Snr. Officer

« Reply #164 on: April 25, 2009, 05:37:34 pm »

Smiley

Beggin your pardon ma'am, but a "person" can learn more from failure than from success. "People" as a whole learn very little if anything from failure. Otherwise history would not be doomed to repeat itself.

Maybe history is so doomed because, as has been observed, it is written by the winners  Wink
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 06:44:01 pm by Violet Rose » Logged
General Ninian Banks
« Reply #165 on: April 25, 2009, 06:32:48 pm »

I'm grumpy at the fact that is considered fashion if women dress slutty.
I'm grumpy at the fact that I am losing thousands of dollars a day in the stockmarket.
I'm grumpy at the fact that my generation wears pants so low that you can see the back of their knees!
I'm grumpy at the fact that proper language is leaving this world at an incredible rate.
I'm grumpy at the fact that my generation ruins a perfectly good car by putting a loud muffler, or some other crap on it.
I'm grumpy at the fact that education is no longer important to this generation.
I'm grumpy at the fact that built in obsolescence is made in to everything made in today's time.
I'm grumpy at the fact that the President of the U.S. is spending money on bailouts that have been proved not to work.
I'm grumpy at the fact that I can not have a intellectual conversation with a person of my age.
I'm grumpy at the fact that the worlds greatest generation (Baby Boomers) is leaving this place.
I'm grumpy at the fact that reading is no longer normal.
I'm grumpy at the fact that black socks cost more than white socks.
I'm grumpy at the fact that I'm considered a freak when I go out in my Victorian wears.

I don't want to keep ranting, but this is a few of the things I am grumpy about.  Angry
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #166 on: April 26, 2009, 07:30:23 am »

"People" as a whole learn very little if anything.Otherwise history would not be doomed to repeat itself.

Fixed that for ya.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Sean Patrick O-Byrne
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

Belligerent Hairy-Bloke and Improper Philospher

« Reply #167 on: April 26, 2009, 12:46:26 pm »

I'm grumpy at the fact that is considered fashion if women dress slutty.
I'm grumpy at the fact that I am losing thousands of dollars a day in the stockmarket.
I'm grumpy at the fact that my generation wears pants so low that you can see the back of their knees!
I'm grumpy at the fact that proper language is leaving this world at an incredible rate.
I'm grumpy at the fact that my generation ruins a perfectly good car by putting a loud muffler, or some other crap on it.
I'm grumpy at the fact that education is no longer important to this generation.
I'm grumpy at the fact that built in obsolescence is made in to everything made in today's time.
I'm grumpy at the fact that the President of the U.S. is spending money on bailouts that have been proved not to work.
I'm grumpy at the fact that I can not have a intellectual conversation with a person of my age.
I'm grumpy at the fact that the worlds greatest generation (Baby Boomers) is leaving this place.
I'm grumpy at the fact that reading is no longer normal.
I'm grumpy at the fact that black socks cost more than white socks.
I'm grumpy at the fact that I'm considered a freak when I go out in my Victorian wears.

I don't want to keep ranting, but this is a few of the things I am grumpy about.  Angry
I enjoy the fact that you can sort out the hussies from the classy lasses
I'm curious at how it feels to have enough money to lose in the stock market.
I'm wondering if you knew that there is no proper name for the back of the knee.
I love the idea that language evolves and changes and I hold on to old words purely for the looks I get.
I'm horrified by our eliance onf trhe computer box, and the keyboard, and not on our wee little phone things.
I'm trying to recall when education was important to any current generation.
I'm fascinated by consumerism, and the rebelion against it.
I'm amused by the fact that, no matter how bad 'society' gets, in one way or another, it always sorts itself out, one way or another.
I'm surly over the fact that when I try to have an intellectional converation, I 'win' right away.
I'm pleased at the decline of humanity, I think it can only improve us in the long run.
I'm grumpy at the fact that reading is so time consuming.
I'm disilusions by the fact that my grey socks never stay in pairs.
I'm vexed by the fact that I didn't win the three hours tattoo time at the draw tonight...

I love ranting, it's very theraputic.

Well I've worked among the spitters and I've breathed the oily smoke
I've shovelled up the gypsum and it neigh 'on makes you choke
I've stood knee deep cyanide, got sick with a caustic burn
Been working rough, I've seen enough, to make your stomach turn

www.doctorsteel.com
Violet Rose
Snr. Officer

« Reply #168 on: April 26, 2009, 02:49:08 pm »

I'm wondering if you knew that there is no proper name for the back of the knee.

The diamond shaped area at the back of the knee joint is called the "popliteal space" which could serve at a pinch
Matthias Gladstone
Zeppelin Admiral

Call me Ishmael

« Reply #169 on: April 26, 2009, 03:46:08 pm »

The diamond shaped area at the back of the knee joint is called the "popliteal space" which could serve at a pinch

Why not just use "Kneepit"? 10 points to anyone who can identify this body part:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
-Matt
Albrecht
Zeppelin Captain
Germany Germany

« Reply #170 on: April 26, 2009, 03:54:00 pm »

Why not just use "Kneepit"? 10 points to anyone who can identify this body part:
-Matt

That's a part of skin on the far southern part of the spine. And as far as I know, due to anatomy, only men have it.
Arvis
Zeppelin Admiral

Never underestimate the power of a hairless monkey

« Reply #171 on: April 26, 2009, 04:35:45 pm »

Why not just use "Kneepit"? -Matt
Awww.... I was gonna say kneepit! Cheesy
Matthias Gladstone
Zeppelin Admiral

Call me Ishmael

« Reply #172 on: April 26, 2009, 04:54:39 pm »

-Matt

That's a part of skin on the far southern part of the spine. And as far as I know, due to anatomy, only men have it.

Slightly off, the spine doesn't run that far down, but pretty much there so +5 points to you.
-Matt
Albrecht
Zeppelin Captain
Germany Germany

« Reply #173 on: April 26, 2009, 05:44:40 pm »

-Matt

Slightly off, the spine doesn't run that far down, but pretty much there so +5 points to you.
-Matt

I know, I just did not want to say "butt". Wink
Matthias Gladstone
Zeppelin Admiral

Call me Ishmael

« Reply #174 on: April 26, 2009, 05:53:43 pm »

-Matt

-Matt

I know, I just did not want to say "butt". Wink

Oooh no, way off there. -5 Points to you. Anyway, to keep on topic, why do other people always think of the best airship designs? My ideas are fairly original, but damn it, the best ones always belong to someone else! Mumble grumble mumble.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: