The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 19, 2019, 03:31:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grumpy Old* Men*  (Read 26728 times)
David Godfrey Esq.
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Its probably best not to ask really...

« Reply #100 on: April 23, 2009, 01:22:51 pm »

Flanders had a tartan rug on his knees. And I thought Mary Shelley was the original goth. Then of course there's the old joke-

"If you're so goth where were you when we sacked Rome?"

Reunite Gondwanaland!
Albrecht
Zeppelin Captain
Germany Germany

Commanding Officer LZ-X1 Württemberg

« Reply #101 on: April 23, 2009, 01:23:39 pm »

And some of us come to it later than others. I was born into Tom Lehrer and Flanders and Swann, and discovered proper goth when I went to Uni.

Ah Flanders and Swann - "The Cannibal Song"

The original goths (did anyone ever see pictures of them ever wearing anything but black ? )  Wink

One of my lecturers at Ludwig-Maximillians-Universität in Munich (who is also heavily on the dark side of the dresscode) claimed that Lord Byron adn E.A. Poe are both pretenders to the throne of "First Goth".

Dr Prunesquallor
Gunner

« Reply #102 on: April 23, 2009, 01:42:51 pm »

One of my lecturers at Ludwig-Maximillians-Universität in Munich (who is also heavily on the dark side of the dresscode) claimed that Lord Byron adn E.A. Poe are both pretenders to the throne of "First Goth".

There's also a character referred to as "First Goth" (along with "Second Goth" and "Third Goth") in Shakespeare's "Titus Andronicus"...

"Doctor Prunesquallor, with his hyena laugh, his bizarre and elegant body, his celluloid face. His main defects? The insufferable pitch of his voice; his maddening laughter and his affected gestures. His cardinal virtue? An undamaged brain."
bizarre_chicken
Zeppelin Admiral

I like vegetarians, but I couldn't eat a whole one

« Reply #103 on: April 23, 2009, 01:44:10 pm »

"If you're so goth where were you when we sacked Rome?"

hahahahahahaaaa..

Oh, that's great.

Click here for win. ---^
Albrecht
Zeppelin Captain
Germany Germany

« Reply #104 on: April 23, 2009, 01:46:09 pm »

There's also a character referred to as "First Goth" (along with "Second Goth" and "Third Goth") in Shakespeare's "Titus Andronicus"...

Damn, I guess we have a winner here.
Violet Rose
Snr. Officer

« Reply #105 on: April 23, 2009, 02:36:57 pm »

What about Chaucer? There are references in the Canterbury Tales to a "carpenter goth", a "goth faire and weel" and a "Goth in the chambre romynge to and fro"

Wink

I'm in Darkshines sewing swap!

Declaring war on mediocrity and a pox on the foot soldiers of stupidity
Albrecht
Zeppelin Captain
Germany Germany

« Reply #106 on: April 23, 2009, 02:47:13 pm »

What about Chaucer? There are references in the Canterbury Tales to a "carpenter goth", a "goth faire and weel" and a "Goth in the chambre romynge to and fro"

Wink

Which part of the Tales is this? Who is the storyteller in question (I have the Riverside Chaucer right beside me). Smiley Cheesy
Benjamin Bleeze
Gunner

Master Locksmith Extraordinaire

« Reply #107 on: April 23, 2009, 03:20:40 pm »

This is great - i feel so at home here, everyone I know about my age round here has about the same IQ as a decapitated snail.  The limit of their imagination ends with PS3, The Office, or Swansea City.

I always feel left out because I have too many other things going on in my head like pondering a fold in the 4th dimension, entropy of a black hole, or steam powering a Sinclair ZX81  to be worrying about such things.

By jove I think he's got it!!!
Violet Rose
Snr. Officer

« Reply #108 on: April 23, 2009, 05:01:35 pm »

Wink

Which part of the Tales is this? Who is the storyteller in question (I have the Riverside Chaucer right beside me). Smiley Cheesy

The Knight's tale and The Miller's Tale I believe  Cheesy
Dr Prunesquallor
Gunner

« Reply #109 on: April 23, 2009, 05:03:02 pm »

Wink

The word "goth" occurs many times in Chaucer, but as a verb (it's the Middle English for "goeth" ... or "goes" in Modern English)
E.G. "This carpenter goth doun, and comth ageyn" = "This carpenter goes down, and comes again".

That brought back memories of studying The Prologue in O Level English Literature more than 30 years ago! Amazing how some of this stuff sticks in the mind.
Albrecht
Zeppelin Captain
Germany Germany

« Reply #110 on: April 23, 2009, 05:17:03 pm »

Wink

The word "goth" occurs many times in Chaucer, but as a verb (it's the Middle English for "goeth" ... or "goes" in Modern English)
E.G. "This carpenter goth doun, and comth ageyn" = "This carpenter goes down, and comes again".

That brought back memories of studying The Prologue in O Level English Literature more than 30 years ago! Amazing how some of this stuff sticks in the mind.

That's a relieve. I did two papers on Chaucer and I should have remembered any mention of goths... Wink
Violet Rose
Snr. Officer

« Reply #111 on: April 23, 2009, 06:05:41 pm »

Wink

I told you he refers to a carpenter goth !
 Grin
Violet Rose
Snr. Officer

« Reply #112 on: April 23, 2009, 06:06:23 pm »

I was having a little joke.

I do sometimes
Dr Prunesquallor
Gunner

« Reply #113 on: April 23, 2009, 08:22:29 pm »

I was having a little joke.

I do sometimes

I thought you might be.

Makes you wonder what a real "Carpenter Goth" would look like, though...
Violet Rose
Snr. Officer

« Reply #114 on: April 23, 2009, 08:29:25 pm »

Black trimmimgs on the band saw?

Violet Rose
Snr. Officer

« Reply #115 on: April 23, 2009, 08:30:35 pm »

I like the idea of the "Goth in the chambre romynge to and fro" myself

Mister Hatter
Deck Hand

Clockwork Aristocrat

« Reply #116 on: April 23, 2009, 08:34:40 pm »

Ohgod, what have I started xD
Violet Rose
Snr. Officer

« Reply #117 on: April 23, 2009, 08:35:54 pm »

Of course one of the first literary references to Goths has to be Beowolf in 1000 AD - if the interpretation of "geats" as goths is correct
Violet Rose
Snr. Officer

« Reply #118 on: April 23, 2009, 08:37:23 pm »

Ohgod, what have I started xD

That'll larn yer
Albrecht
Zeppelin Captain
Germany Germany

« Reply #119 on: April 23, 2009, 09:38:30 pm »

Black trimmimgs on the band saw?

And those crimson stains...
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #120 on: April 23, 2009, 09:50:20 pm »

I have something new to be grumpy about! How is it that when I add "If you are bidding from outside the UK, please email me before bidding!" on the end of my ebay auctions, I still end up with winners from Greece, Hungary and Italy? It annoys me so much, I can barely type, my rage is making my eye twitch. I feel like charging the bastards £10 each just so they will learn! GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

www.etsy.com/shop/celticroseart
clockwork creation
Zeppelin Admiral

Rapscallion Smile

« Reply #121 on: April 23, 2009, 11:23:19 pm »

time for your sleepy pills hun

I am a freak in control not a control freak
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #122 on: April 23, 2009, 11:30:38 pm »

Oooh medication!  Grin
Sean Patrick O-Byrne
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

Belligerent Hairy-Bloke and Improper Philospher

« Reply #123 on: April 24, 2009, 04:47:59 am »

This is great - i feel so at home here, everyone I know about my age round here has about the same IQ as a decapitated snail.  The limit of their imagination ends with PS3, The Office, or Swansea City.

I always feel left out because I have too many other things going on in my head like pondering a fold in the 4th dimension, entropy of a black hole, or steam powering a Sinclair ZX81  to be worrying about such things.

Decapitated snails!?

Well, let me tell YOU! When I was a lad, we didn't have the LUXURY of snails to decapitate. We had slugs, and they didn't have heads to begin with. Why, we had to follow them slugs all day, painting their little slime trails behind them.

Sure, you're lucky to have snails sans heads.

Well I've worked among the spitters and I've breathed the oily smoke
I've shovelled up the gypsum and it neigh 'on makes you choke
I've stood knee deep cyanide, got sick with a caustic burn
Been working rough, I've seen enough, to make your stomach turn

www.doctorsteel.com
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #124 on: April 24, 2009, 09:13:05 am »

I too have something new to be grumpy about.  Imagine for a moment you are unfortunate enough to have to share a room with a sibling.  And now imagine that that sibling has a boy/girlfriend whom they've recently split from.  And now imagine that that ex-boy/girlfriend rings up at 4 in the morning.  And that your sibling not only answers the phone, but proceeds to hold a half-hour conversation.  Of course, the net result of this is that it wakes you up. 

Not a big deal, but when you struggle to fall to sleep anyway and this happens on a nightly basis, night in, night out, how long would you hold out against the urge to smash the telephone and cause a hullaballoo?

Fortunately for him I'm particularly over-patient, but unfortunately for me I'm now particularly over-tired.  Grrr  Angry Angry Angry

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: