The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
May 27, 2019, 07:07:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 [83] 84 85 86 87   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: STEAM LONDON: Realms of Aether Game Thread  (Read 124872 times)
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #2050 on: July 04, 2009, 05:24:47 am »

Dreyfuss swooped up high, and then dove straight toward the bordello, retaining only enough wing surface to keep him on the diagonal descent and to steer with. He had stopped for a moment when he had swooped low over the roofs separating the Air Dock  from the street, and gotten tangled in that same clothesline again, and thus was rather far behind the others;  Fortuitously, as it turned out. He let the wings out just before he would have been too late to do so, and they made a BOOOM-ing sound and he braked and dropped the scant few inches to the ground.

Taking a moment to flex the wings' strained muscles, he then pulled them inside the coat. No sooner had he done so than he heard the pattering, creaking, clinking rumor of hundreds of feet coming toward the Bordello with a purposefulness he could not have imagined. He drew his sword then, and flamed over once again, letting the flame being have full rein. He didn't know what was actually happening, but he suspected it wasn't good, since every person in the massive crowd who had a sword, a knife, a pistol, or just butcher knives or hatchets had it out and was brandishing it like they meant to kill something. He called togethe rthe fire for a preternaturally loud shout, and Thundered in a voice that suddenly didn't need to raise its voice to be heard, STOP. The others inside the Bordello felt that single word in Dreyfuss' augmented voice through the soles of their feet, before the sound permeated the walls of the bordello. YOU WILL NOT PASS, he thundered. Dreyfuss was striving desperately to not kill any more humans than he had to, by stopping them with his voice. It was a doomed strategy, evidenced first by small chunks of brick and cement that began to land around him and bounce from the Bordello's walls...
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 05:12:47 pm by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #2051 on: July 04, 2009, 05:47:30 am »

Angel was flabbergasted. "They are so little and soft." She said touching a tiny hand.  "Hi little people I am going to teach you how to sing when you get big and read you stories and do all kinds of fun stuff."  The way Angel looked adoringly at the babies it was obvious they had her wrapped around their chubby little fingers already.

"Oh they are precious." Emma gushed. She turned in to a complete puddle around babies. 

Helena was near the back and heard something odd coming from outside. "Siggy do you hear that too?"

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #2052 on: July 04, 2009, 06:01:39 am »

STOP! WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS!? Dreyfuss thundered, the force of the shout alone knocking the crowd back several feet. Then three air pirates in the front, brothers known to the pirating world as The Horsemen, made the worst mistake they could possibly have made, and demanded almost in one voice, GIVE US THE CHILDREN! and fired their pistols point-blank into flame-dreyfuss' face.

Dreyfuss wiped the bullets off of the flame-face, showed the three brothers the molten led in his palm, and then cast it diagonally at them, decapitating two and disemboweling the third.the crowd backed up, then, but something seemed to grab  hold of them, and they surged forward, shouting like madmen, Dreyfuss roared, the sword became the fire sword, and the dead began to stack up like cordwood.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 06:07:12 am by MWBailey » Logged
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #2053 on: July 04, 2009, 06:05:19 am »

Baby George Cain cooed and held onto Angel's finger, a smile crossing his round little face which made everyone in the room smile, though Sigmund was the exception.
"I'm sorry to pull you away Helena, but I think we need to go outside, something needs our attention. I'm picking up alot of...grey. It's the same thing I felt when the school was attacked."
He headed down the hallway, grabbing three or four scalpels on the way down to the entrance. Sigmund handed her a few of the precise blades.
The door creaked open to reveal a swathe of gnarled looking men brandishing blades and cudgels.
"Helena..." Sigmund cracked his knuckles. "GO to the others, find an escape route. I'll keep them distracted. Don't question me just do it."
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #2054 on: July 04, 2009, 06:18:58 am »

Helena took a deep breath and put her captain face on. "When we get clear I am coming back so you had better not be dead."  She gave him a kiss and rushed off.  Everyone stared as she came in they could hear and feel the crowd now.  "Jenifer, Patrick I need you to come back to the school with me now.  We are under attack and I have no wish to risk your children's lives.  Angel, Cain you will take the parents back quickly while Emma and I take the spider platform and get the defenses up. If we are attacked do not try and help us the children are your priority got it?"
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #2055 on: July 04, 2009, 06:35:49 am »

Cain nodded and scooped up the babies. "Angel, carry Miss Jenniffer and Patrick to the academy. I'll carry the babies behind you."
Patrick broke away from Angel's attempt at grabbing him.
"Bollocks ta that!!" He roared, grabbing the cane of a nearby back trauma patient, causing them to plummet.
"I'm fightin' ta protect me kids! Angel, get Jen outta here. Take 'em to tha gray room, they'll be safe there!"
And with that he charged down the stairs, brandishing the cane.

Sigmund closed his eyes, letting them burn with gold flame as he began to block and parry attacks from hurling cudgels. A slight grasp of the arm or tap of the head caused the attackers to tumble.
"Have at the ya damn rats!" Patrick roared, smacking a sailor in the side of the head with the end of his cane, hooking the guard of another man's sword wit the other end and pulling it from his hands. He tossed the sabre to Sigmund who caught it without looking.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #2056 on: July 04, 2009, 06:45:45 am »

Dreyfuss was holding his own. Barely. two nearly got behind him to the door, but he carbonized them with a blast of whitefire, and backed up. five tried to pry around and behind him from the other side, and he lengthened the sword, an swept it , killing them and two others behind the group. he was then standing with his back against the door. one of Arachne's girls tried to open the door, got it to crack open and bellowed, "What the HELL is goin' on out here, Dreyf ?"

"A WAR, he thundered back, STAY INSIDE AND DO NOT OPEN THIS DOOR!"

He made the fire sword six feet long,. and began slaying the maddened, apparently-uncaring mob by tens and fifteens, and yet there was little or no let up in the surge forward; it was a if the pirates and cutthroats were being raised from the very cobbles! And it was getting very hard, now, to keep control. Desperation and fear were taking hold. He decided to try one last weapon before going berserk, if indeed it came to that. A very old spell had caught his eye when Dreyfuss had visited his uncle immediately after Mariana's attempted assassination: The Blade of The Clan.

Basically, it was a waist-height, blade-thin swath of fire which would cut in half everyone it encountered. it had only been used in battle twice before, and both times had decimated the enemy within seconds. It was not something that Dreyfuss would have used even on the aether demons -- but he had had help that day, and as far as he could tell, he was alone on this day (he did not know about Sigmund's and Patrick's stand at the other door). He called the spell to mind, linked it with the whitefire, and then waited until the blades and guns of the mob were nearly in his gut, and unleashed it upon them. Screams voiced almost simultaneously from nearly a thousand throats, all at once, filled the streets around the bordello as the Blade of Fire cut the attackers mercilessly in half -- literally. Patrick and Sigmund were spared, as were any who were not tainted by Apathy's hold, but it was only a brief respite that was gained... but it was enough, as it allowed the spider platform to get away, and Cain and Angel to fly Jen and the babies to the School. "DREYFUSS!" Helena called down from the wall the platform was scaling, "Break off! come to the School!"

Dreyfuss saluted with his sword, opened his wings and took off flat-footed into the air, just as five muskets roared from all sides. The five fusiliers all fell, shot by accident by their fellows.

Jock. JOCK! Get the St. Elmo online! Another mob is attacking! We need artillery! We are approaching now from the Bordello![/i]

AYE, Commodore! Jock  answered, We were already thinking something along them loins, sah! up and runnin, and the rangers are oat with their wingpacks, sir!

Well done, Jock
Dreyfuss sent back.

NADYA! Where are you?
there was no response, not even mind-static. Oh, mY love, I am so sorry. please, come home to us! We couldnt wait, thetime is so short!
No response.
Dreyfuss finally accepted that his beloved world-walker was gone for good. When all is over, Nadya my Darling, I will come and find thee. I pray thee, I will not find thee among the dead...HE suddenly thought he heard Patrick's voice, and doubled back to the bordello...
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 07:02:04 am by MWBailey » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #2057 on: July 04, 2009, 07:01:14 am »

Helena and Emma hit the ground running quickly setting up some nasty aether charged spikes all over the front gate.  "When Dreyfuss gets her we can rig another aether disruption mine grid. Until then we should man the guns."  Helena shouted and Emma scrambled up to the shooting platform.

"Don't worry Jen lady.  We are going to make sure you are safe." Angel very gently set Jen down as the school doors making sure to shield them with her wings.
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #2058 on: July 04, 2009, 07:20:22 am »

"It's alright dreyf. Ye did what ye thought was necesarry. I'dve done tha same, boy-o."
Madame Arachne and her girls fled to a secondary spider walker, leaving alongside Helena and Emma, the girls clung to eachother and Miss Hyacinth in panic. The smirk on her face showed she did not exactly hate her situation.
Sigmund looked into the distance, seeing the white robed figure who looked up at him with absent eyes. His entire body shreiked with pain, causing him to curl up like a dying grub in Dreyfuss' arms.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #2059 on: July 04, 2009, 07:29:32 am »

Dreyfuss saw Sigmund and Patrick looking around in shock at the dead and dying, and swooped down. "PATRICK! SIGMUND! I'M coming to pick you up!" he screamed, and he swooped down low and did just that, grabbing each around their shoulders just at their armpits as he passed, and sweeping them into the sky, laboring along even though the two were not terribly heavy in relation to the flame being. Sigmund, are you alright? he asked, worried that he might be burning the Commodore boy.

"Patrick, I'm really sorry about the carnage. I thought i was all alone at the back door. I didn't know you two were over on that side."

Dreyfuss also saw the figure, and struggled to hold onto Sigmund. "Patrick--! do you see that fi---that figure? or am i just arrgh! hold still, I'm landing now, Sigmund!" he touched down, and sigmund fell out of his grasp onto the schools lawn, and he asked Patrick, do you see that fellow up there too, or am I losing what's left of my mind?"

The shadow of  the Saint Elmo drifted over them then, and they could hear the roar of the ducted fans as Jock or whoever was at the controls maneuvered the relatively-huge War Zeppelin into position. an air ranger hailed them from the air as he flew down from the ship.
"Captain Scofield sends you her compliments, Commodore Dreyfuss, and requests permission to remain aboard with Chief Engineer Lough-Malley, and direct artillery and interference support."

"Very well, corporal, please convey my permission so to do , and my compliments in return, and be sure to tell the Captain to prepare the ship's complement for an aether-damp blast in the next few minutes," he said, seeing Emma setting up the mounting position for said device. He walked over, pulling five or six of the Mondragon grenades from teh possibles bag.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 07:51:05 am by MWBailey » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #2060 on: July 04, 2009, 07:35:38 am »

"Helena come do this!" Emma hollered and Helena ran across the courtyard someone had given her a sword and she was working on aether saturating it. She drew in the dirt as quickly as she could and activated it.  

"It is set everyone get clear."  She saw Sigmund in Dreyfuss' arms and frowned. "Help me take him inside.  I cant risk him getting hurt out here. Hopefully he can ride out whatever is happening to him."

In the Gray room Angel was running about making absolutely sure that Jen was happy and comfortable. Cain was making tea while Angel sat by Jen's side singing. "Can I hold him just for a little bit?"
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #2061 on: July 04, 2009, 07:49:30 am »

Patrick didn't have any time to reply to Dreyfuss, he headed up the stairs into the gray room to his wife and children.
Sigmund stared out the multi-layered window, the figure of apathy vanished from the feild before reappearing within the safety of the gray room.
"Surrender the children." Apathy said with his voice like metal on metal. "It is imparative that they be disposed of. The very nature of existance rides upon it."
"I did not know imparitality could lie." Sigmund spoke in a voice like a thousand emotions expelled at once, his eyes flickering with golden flames,
"It is not a lie." apathy said turning to sigmund. "Your living shell has slowed your mind. Shed it so these feeble humans might see what you truely are."
"What I truely am is humanity itself, and humanity is not always fully human. Leave now!"
Apathy sneered, though none saw it but Sigmund. The figure melted away into purple fire.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #2062 on: July 04, 2009, 08:02:49 am »

Angel peeked put from under her wings that she had spread to shelter Jen.  "Is the bad thing gone?"

Helena watched with a sneer as the first wave tried to brake through her spikes.  People were thrown around like popcorn and the smell of scorched fabric and skin filled the air.  Keeping it active was a large drain but as far as she was concerned it was worth it.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #2063 on: July 04, 2009, 08:10:29 am »

Mina Scofield was on the aetherphone marshalling the Air Rangers.
"Right, the spikes have held off the first wave." A cheer went up from the ranks as the rangers, hovering just ten yards from the starboard gundeck of the St. Elmo, waited for the orde rto open up with their gatling carbines

Dreyfuss asked Helena, "how long til the aether disruption?"
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #2064 on: July 04, 2009, 08:26:03 am »

"I can detonate it as soon as I can get a bead on who ever is controlling this mess. I want them to be hit full on because this is going to his us as well." Helena shifted on her feet slightly fighting to keep the spikes going for as long as she could manage.
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #2065 on: July 04, 2009, 08:33:45 am »

"I beleive you are searching for us?" Apathy placed its hand on her neck, a frightening numbness overtook her body, causing her to fall to the ground limply.
"Your intervenience will not be tolerated. Our objective must be accomplished. This world's symbol of good must be erased. That symbol is the entire crew of the APF boheme and Saint Elmo. We do not wish to observe your deaths, as we have seen the meticulous insides of this world's humans. We will likely find your ultimate eviceration...boring."
The figure vanished once more. Sigmund felt a terrible twinge in the back of his neck as Apathy fled.  Though he knew they would return, and he knew who he was now.
The posessed armies approached Helena's limp body under a single order.
Kill.
The loud cracking of a rifle stopped the blade of a posessed brigand from striking home. Madame Arachne rushed to Helena's side.
"Are you alright, Doll?"
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #2066 on: July 04, 2009, 08:41:39 am »

"I..I think so. My body feels like it is packed in cotton wool." Helena wobbled a little and then got a look of panic in her eyes.  "I can't stand. I don't know what the hell that bastard did to me but I can't get my limbs to respond.  I am a god dammed sitting duck."
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #2067 on: July 04, 2009, 08:51:28 am »

Madame Arache pinched her wrist as she slung her over her shoulder, grabbing the Aetheric blade and swinging it at the oncoming attackers.
Cain stuck his head out of the window, waving his arms madly and signalling them to head towards the entrance. Madame Arachne nodded compliantly, taking Dreyfuss' hand and leading him towards the double doors.
A column of white fire accumulated from every student in the school shot from the tallest tower of the academy, a dome of light covered the school, barring entrance from those under the influence of the cruel being called apathy.
"Alright..." Patrick began. "Siggy, you've got some explainin' ta do."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #2068 on: July 04, 2009, 09:03:12 am »

Dreyfuss sat, glowering silently, the white fire flickering occasionally over some part or other of his body. He was feeling extremely humiliated that all he ha dbeen able to do was fall to his knees when apathy attackedhis whitefiure was like that in a banked forge; still there, and still white-hot, but kept safe under the ashes. And he was smoldering, almost literally. one could hear his teeth grinding if they listened hard enough. He wanted nothing less than to burn apathy into carbon...
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #2069 on: July 04, 2009, 04:46:17 pm »

Helena was embarrassed to be carried inside and a little worried. Whatever that sheet waring jerk had done to her was not going away.  She saw the look on Sigmund's face and tried to reassure him.  "I am not hurt limp as a noodle but not hurt." She sounded frustrated.

Angel was holding little Zora like she was the most precious thing in the world. "it is ok now the bad thing went away and we won't let anything hurt you."  Angel had decided she was going to be the best aunt ever.

Emma was looking out at the courtyard and frowning. "The disruptor should have went off when he got close.  I built in a failsafe to trigger it if an aether demon got too close.  I don't understand why it malfunctioned."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #2070 on: July 04, 2009, 05:11:02 pm »

The Saint Elmo was not destroyed. Holed in the forward and aft  gascells, yes. Held aloft by her ducted fans alone, yes. But not destroyed, and most certainly not without armament. Mina ordered the crew to break out the mondragon grenades, and prepare for a carpet drop. She and Jock guided the St. Elmo, now little more than a glorified hovering land ironclad, over the ravening throng, now so insensate in their frustration and bloodlust that they scarcely resembled anything greater than a gigantic feeding frenzy of shark, or perhaps pirhanhas "READY!"

"SQUAD A! PULL PINS! DROP!the Elmo flew a short distance away. Squad B!...Squad C!"
in all, a series of more thanten waves, comprised of sixty Mondragon Thaumic Overload Genades were armed and released. the effect was devastating to the horde below. in less than sixty seconds, the grenades began to detonate. Wave after wave of wild, expanding thaumic force swept the battlefield on the school's lawn, buffeting the side of the whitefire shield, and wiping the entire Mob from the face of the earth, leaving nothing but scalloped earth where the lawn had been. The figure in white, Apathy, had been caught by the edge of one such blast. He was not destroyed, but he was wounded, and he left that world behind as he plotted the next move...
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 05:18:46 pm by MWBailey » Logged
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #2071 on: July 04, 2009, 05:21:26 pm »

"Because," Sigmund said in a voice that seemed not to come from sound, rather the words resonated through their very sentience. "He is no aether Daemon. Is is something far worse and far higher up. He was once a construct of the creator. He who crafted all. His voice was one of logic and intellegence. The fall of rome, the end of the dinosaurs, all his proposition. But the more he observed sentient life in any existance he decided that all of sentient life was sick. I pleaded to the maker not to consider Logic's offer.
"The maker set up a contest. He was to find a world of absolute evil. And i was charged with finding a world of absolute good."

Patrick held George Cain close in both fear and wonder.
"So that means...that ye're...."

"Indeed. I was the voice of empathy and humanity, who pleaded to the maker to create beauty and music. It was I who asked the maker to craft the bright ones to save your kind from the cold ones, who were started when they who was once called Logic stole away one and infected her with his influence."
Cain shuddered, placing his hand on Angel's shoulder and hugging her carefully with the baby betwixt them.
"I occupied the body of a child born of cold one and human blood, they had been born a brain-dead mess. Unable to think or feel, but I took posession of its body, assured byt he maker that even as my memories faded he would assure I would have the means to travel from reality to reality."
He turned to Helena.
"I fell in love, something I thought was impossible. But I have realised much on this trip. And I must alert the creator before they once called Logic shows him my body's home world."
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #2072 on: July 04, 2009, 05:36:16 pm »

"How are you going to do that?"  Helena asked worried thst he might be leaving and not coming back.

"What if that creature comes back? We don't have much that can stand against him."  Emma was already trying to figure out some improvements that would give them a fighting chance.
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #2073 on: July 04, 2009, 05:44:03 pm »

"You cannot stand against him. He is second only to the one you call god. But then again...so am I."
He turned to Emma, speaking through his mouth to alleviate the tension.
"You all must go find George's final shard and make for Gray london. That world's Emma has a plan. Bring their world's Brian and Shai as well, they must return to their native realities for the plan to work, there must not be a single disturbace in the Aether.
I informed Nadya earlier, I suppose she went early."
His hands blazed with gold fire.
"You must go now. I will distract the one now called Apathy."
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #2074 on: July 04, 2009, 06:00:30 pm »

Helena was hoisted up by Emma and carried over to Sigmund.  "You come back to me you hear."

"We will take Patrick, Jen and the babies with us at least on the ship we can run away."  Emma set Helena on the spider platform and made sure the babies had everything they needed.   Arachne came on board with sword ready should anyone think attacking them was a good idea.
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 [83] 84 85 86 87   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: