The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 15, 2019, 04:40:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 [77] 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 ... 87   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: STEAM LONDON: Realms of Aether Game Thread  (Read 129282 times)
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1900 on: June 24, 2009, 06:46:51 am »

"hmm...Ok, I can fabricate pretty well, or at least I could when I modified the Marblehead into the St. Elmo's boat portion," he said, remembering the original name of the paddle steamer he'd built the boat portion from. "the big RPM increase wheels were the hardest. good thing there's nothing that big here. Here, Miss Helena, let me help you with that thing. They can be devilish beasts to carry..."
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 04:36:50 pm by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #1901 on: June 24, 2009, 07:06:35 am »

"Thanks that blasted thing tried to take my foot.  What next Emma?" Helena allowed Dreyfuss to take the heavy chunk of metal from her arms.

"Well if we can get the engine up and running then we need to repair the fire damage to the hull and check to make sure we still have buoyancy. All in all it looks like we are in for a long night." She smiled at the crew and then turned back to look at what needed to be done. "Stupid lizard." Emma muttered under her breath.

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1902 on: June 24, 2009, 07:29:31 am »

Dreyfuss found a crank-bellows-equipped portable firepit in another locker, along with an anvil pedestal, which he put in the place in the floor where he remembered Roland and Patrick had placed it when they were smithing or repairing parts. There wasn't much coal, or charcoal either, but there were some pot metal shards that looked usable for firepit heat carriers. He piled the pot metal scraps over the rotating clinker hole in the firepit, and pulled out the whitefire pistol, and fired a steady beam of whitefire into the midst of the pile, gently, so that they scraps would build to a white heat without scattering from impact.

That done, he carefully piled in no more charcoal and what looked and smelled like sea-coal, than he would need to make several of the more complex forged parts, and cranked the centrifugal bellows until the coal flared up in a tall, white flame. HE then opened the hull door slightly, making sure to secure it with a handy piece of rope so that it didn't go flapping about in the breeze if it picked up while they worked.

"Miss Helena? Is there a fan in here somewhere we can use to blow the smoke out?" he asked, as he began to gather the hammers and tongs he or whoever else would need in order to smith properly.
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #1903 on: June 24, 2009, 01:52:05 pm »

"I suppose so!" Cain remarked, Angel's enthusiasm and cheerfullness ushering a smile across his face.
"This world's Helena must be a preformer, like this world's Gejiro."
Cain said, rather fascinated at the display. The black armored figure stood up, taking a bow alongside its nemesis.
"PErhaps they know of a good inn we could stay the night in, though perhaps we should hide sweets so she doesn't alarm anyone with her talking."
In the distance, a young man watched as his girlfriend sprouted wings, hovering off into the sky leaving naught but memories and rosepetals. The young man sighed nonchalantly, lamenting how that was the fifth girl that year.
"Or...perhaps not." Cain corrected himself upon seeing the sight.

Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #1904 on: June 24, 2009, 04:45:38 pm »

Angel wandered up to the front as the children left to go play in the attached playground.  "Hi I am Angel. Your dress is pretty and you look like my friend Helena lady."

Gejiro laughed. "Sounds like you have a twin, Herena." He thought the starry eyed Angel was rather cute.

Sweets wiggled in Angel's arms. "This is my kitty Sweets. She has a star on her head and this is my Cain." Both kitty and Cain got kisses along with the introductions.

"Pleased to meet both of you.  I was wondering if you knew of suitable lodgings for my two wards." Sweets spoke impeccable English and managed to sound very elegant for a cat. 

"I think we have a portable fire hood somewhere under this mess." Helena dug thorough the storage locker. "Ah ha. Here we go."  She tugged and tugged until the bag was freed suddenly.  The bag went flying at Dreyfuss's head and Helena crashed in to Sigmund knocking them both to the floor.
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #1905 on: June 24, 2009, 08:44:01 pm »

"Well, there is the to-heart love hotel in the Buristoru district." Gejiro chuckled. "It is a perfect place for a young couple like you!It is not often we see many magical girl and Tokusatsu romances. Most magical girls tend to lean toward the giant robot pilots. But i suppose that' a sign of the times."
He chuckled warmly to himself before pointing to the bright hotel in the distance. The words on the billboard were written in some strange hybrid of english letters and Japanese Kanji. This was a fascinating city indeed. The bright red neon heart swayed back and forth just above the large red thresh-hold.
As they walked by, women with odd hair and outfits that could ahve been used to catch fish blew kisses at Cain, who payed them no real heed.

Sigmund fell foreward, landing face first into the floor. A massive sweatdrop appeared on his head for a moment before vanishing mysteriously.
"Are you alright?" He asked, his voice muffled by the floor.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1906 on: June 24, 2009, 09:14:40 pm »

Dreyfuss lifted up the fire-hood, looking like the villain in one of the three-penny operas that were popular at that time in london, about a pair of rather accident-prone lovers in outer space who were pursued by a heavily-breathing, behelmeted villain all in black who spoke in a cavernous voice. he lifted it off of his head, and attached it to the forge, and grabbed a piece of flexible tubing and attached it to the top, running the end of it out through the cracked-open hull door.

"Thanks, Helena." Dreyfuss said. "Sigmund? Are you okay?" he said, reaching a hand down to help him up.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 04:49:44 am by MWBailey » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #1907 on: June 25, 2009, 04:34:34 am »

The inside was brightly lit and decorated in reds and pinks.  Angel loved it right away.  "This place is very pretty are you sure we can stay here?  It looks like a castle."  Angel was very happy and hugged her Cain. 

The lady behind the counter smiled at them. "I take it you two would like to check in?"

"I am sorry. I swear I didn't used to be such a klutz." Helena managed to pick Sigmund up in such a way his face was quite firmly against her chest.

MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1908 on: June 25, 2009, 05:01:31 am »

Dreyfuss grabbed a piece of scrap steel with one of the five pairs of tongs he had laid out next to the firepit, and thrust it into the middle of the white-hot forge fire. he did the same with three other scraps, turned the crank slowly for a good 10 turns, banked the coals around the irons, and went in search of Borax for welding. "Is there anything around here with Borax in it?'  he asked the ship in general.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #1909 on: June 25, 2009, 05:22:21 am »

"Actually I may have some in my room.  I was planing on using it to give Angel some simple science lessons but it should work." Emma ran off and returned with a small glass jar.  "That is all I could find. I hope it is enough." 
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1910 on: June 25, 2009, 06:27:58 am »

"Yes, sure, it should suffice. In fact," he grabbed an empty jar off of the workbench, opened it, poured in half of teh Borax and left the other half in Emma's jar,"here's the half of it. I shouldn't need more'n that."

HE turned to the forge, picked up the longest piece of scrap steel, a medium-weight hammer, and started in on making the cover plate for the Aether stack access panel, clanging and banging away, fullering, flatting, shaping and then hammering out the large, thin sheet of forged steel for the plate cover, complete with the keyhole, copied from  the old panel in back of the anvil.after abut an hour, Dreyfuss had hammered out the entire replacement armature for the aether caterpillar assembly, and started in on the iron cores for the coils, five in all.after he had forged all five and banked the fire, he felt of teh quenching and hardening baths; the Quench was beginning to steam, so he poured up the hot water in a wooden butt that stood by the bench, and poured a new Quench from teh cooler in the Lounge. Hurrying back with it so that he could use as much of teh coal's heat as possible...
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #1911 on: June 25, 2009, 06:41:26 am »

Sigmund's face went bright crimson, his legs giving out beneath the rest of his body. The only statement able to escape the sea of the now prevalent thoughts of Helena's soft, warm bosom came out in a semi-stifled series of barely audible vibrations in the form of the words. "You smell like daisies..."
His arms hung limply at his sides, a tiny splotch of drool trickling down  his chin. He wiped it away quickly before she could realize it.
"I am fine..." He said quickly, straightening the leather jacket.
"Perfectly fine, why wouldn't I be fine?"

"I'm not so sure, Angel. It seems a little strange." Cain said, looking around the bright red decor. A round, gray-templed man in a business suit headed down the hall, women with skin painted milky white and hair done up in exotic fashions hooked over each arm, giggling like schoolgirls and taking turns kissing the man on either cheek.
"Do not be so disheartened my boy! The burnin-heart love inn is a wonderful place for a young couple like you two! We have free spaces in the royal suite, the Samurai suite, and the..heheh...red heart special suite."
Cain did not like the way the man at the desk mentioned that last room.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #1912 on: June 25, 2009, 07:03:21 am »

"I walloped you pretty hard. I was wondering if I scrambled your brains there for a moment." Helena's grin was wicked, and promising mischief.  "Since you seem to have the reforging efforts under control perhaps Sigmund and I should go looking for timber and food." She added hearing her stomach start to make noise.

Emma looked up from her welding. "Alright but be careful and see if there isn't some descent tea somewhere around here. I could use a pot or two."

Angel had found a book with pictures of the rooms in them and was currently making very happy sounds. "Look at all the pretty rooms. That one looks like a jungle and that one is like a mermaid's house." She said to Sweets.  Her eyes grew wide at the picture of what she decided was the bet room ever.  "There, we have to stay there."   
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #1913 on: June 25, 2009, 05:21:48 pm »

"Er, food! Yes! Food sounds wonderful right now!"
Sigmund's face still seared with a blush. He quickly headed to the door, await9ing Helena.
"I think there was a food market down the street from the freakish feline statue. I saw it when Cain was bringing us down. We might be able to get some fish down there. Granted I was unable to make head or tail of that sigh, but the neon image looked like a squid, and when there's squid there's fish! Er....I think."
Sigmund headed to the deck, looking out into the brightly colored world which stood out like a painting before them Statues and buildings stood tall like gods.

"Where?" Cain's eyebrow raised, he scratched his head as he looked down at the picture of the hotel room. His eyes widened to the size of saucers for a moment before a smile crept across his face. Of course Angel would choose that room.
"It's perfect."
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #1914 on: June 25, 2009, 06:26:11 pm »

"I wish I knew what these words meant."  The walked down the street hand in hand.  This world looked like some kind of glowing jungle where sighs grew like vines on the tall buildings spelling out their odd messages in shining colors.People thronged the streets waring all sorts of clothes.  Even Helena's rather outlandish outfit garnered no more than a second glance.  They found the shop with the squid sign and something inside of it smelled wonderful. The inside was slightly dark and there was a strange curtain hung about head height with even more unintelligible words on it. "I think you might have found a good place. Lets see if we can barter for some food."

"Ah the Eternity meadows room very good choice." He handed them a key with a leaf for a handle.  "Your room is up stairs the second room on the right."  Angel was almost bouncing as she walked up the stairs.  The door they stopped in front of was very plain but she just knew there was something wonderful inside.  Cain opened the door to a sunny meadow full of flowers with a pond at one end and a gingerbread castle  at the other.  Angel went over to investigate the pond and squealed with delight. "We have fishies in our room!"

Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #1915 on: June 25, 2009, 10:11:58 pm »

The sweet smells of garlic, peppers and fruit permeated the air. The building was lit by dangling oil lamps, giving the entire building a rustic feel. Men dressed in blue robes and white headbands greeted them with freidnly smiles as menacing fish dried and smelling of salt hung from behind the counter, glazed eyes staring into nothingness.
"How may I help you?" A young man with black, curly hair and freckles greeted them warmly.
"My name is Paturiku Oranduri. How may I be of service?"

"Oh my...it is even more amazing than in the photo!" Cain declared, observing the fantastic room. Angel's excited statement of fishies brought him over to the pond which indeed teemed with koi who danced playfully within the water. Their scales shone like gold dubloons as others had milky white skin like living pearls.
"I'm glad you picked this room Angel. It's wonderful."
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #1916 on: June 25, 2009, 10:48:13 pm »

"We were hoping we could make some sort of trade for food.  You see our ship was damaged in a fight with a big lizard and we don't have any money from this land. I am more than willing to work for my meal." Helena gave him a gracious smiled and hoped he could help.

"I will be back later fishies. Be good."  Angel took Cain's hand.  "Lets go look inside our castle."  As they got closer the air stared to smell like spices and sweetness.  Angel pulled on a peppermint striped bell bull and a little fan fair broke out inside the castle.  The drawbridge lowered slowly to reveal a lavishly decorated bedroom in lush jewel tones. Angel hugged Cain tight this was one of the most beautiful places she had ever been. 
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #1917 on: June 25, 2009, 11:52:32 pm »

"Hmmm perhaps something can be arranged."
This reality's Patrick had a look of a wry businessman, to bluff him would most likely be a night impossible act.
"There is a beautiful girl across the road by the name of Jeniko. She sells flowers and herbal remedies. Though she has not really sold anything lately, and they are threatening to forclose. I want to help her...I really do. But I'm just a cook. If you can save her business I'll give you all the food you can carry! I just want to see her happy."
His gaze occaisonally turned towards the window, spying the pale-skinned young woman across the road, arranging blooming sunflowers in the garden in front of the store, bright yellow and green standard bearers for nature amid smothering urban development. His freckled cheeks went pink at the sight of her.

Cain looked around at the elaborite gimmic that had been put up for the hotel. He took in the ginger smell and watched with delight as Angel giddily took in the sights, sounds, and smells of the hotel.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1918 on: June 26, 2009, 04:19:03 am »

Dreyfuss finished the forging part of the work list, and started cobbling together a metalworking lathe from the various parts available; he hooked up the main pulley to a small motor that he built from spare aether collectyor parrts and several oddments, which ran on a beam fired from the whitefire pistol. it wa smakeshift at best, but should work for their purposes, he decided. He began turning the first outer cooling sleeve...
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #1919 on: June 26, 2009, 04:51:16 am »

The bed was shaped like a heart and so full of fluffy pillows Angel just wanted to snuggle in and build a fort.  There was a control panel on the wall full of buttons with strange words and pictures on them.  "What dose this do?" She wondered aloud as she poked the button with a moon on it.  Suddenly the room was dark and the stars started to glow on the ceiling.  "Wow. I made it nighttime." Sweets was rather torn, she was smart and cultured but above all a cat and those fish looked mighty tasty.

Helena looked over the flower seller and smiled.  "I think this calls for a bit of street theater.  Sigmund you are going to play a cad who forgot my birthday and I will be your angry girlfriend.  We will have a nice juicy fight in that square and then Jeniko can patch both our hearts and any injuries.  If we play that crowd right she will have all the business she can handle."

Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #1920 on: June 26, 2009, 05:42:16 am »

Cain scooped sweets up, foiling any thoughts she might have had over enjoying the sushi bar provided by the room. He carried sweets to the moonlit  room, placing her upon the soft bed beside Angel who had by now already made a fort out of the pillows and was asking for a password.
"Jam." He said with almost adamant certainty, which warranted Angel to pull him into the structure of pillows.
The fort was dark and smelt of cookies.
"Er...why did you make a fort?"

"I will do my best to play the role of the despicable cad."
Sigmund ruffled his hair, putting on a foul grimace.
"Nice eh?"

Paturiku scratched the back of his head, rather unsure about the whole preformance.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #1921 on: June 26, 2009, 06:17:47 am »

"Silly Cain. Cause it is fun and we don't have nearly this many pillows at home. You know what else pillows are good for?" She said with a mischievous grin. "Pillow fights!" Cain was bopped on head gently by a giggling Angel.

"Just follow my lead and try to remember that no matter what I say I don't really mean it." She walked out to the square looking more angry than Sigmund had ever seen her before.  "I can't believe you are going off with your drinking buddies on my birthday!  All I wanted was a nice quiet dinner with you but no Ken comes in from out of town and you drop me like I was on fire."  Sigmund stammered and a crowd started to form.  "Don't worry about being late I wont be waiting up for you."

She tried to walk away but Sigmund grabbed her shoulder concerned by her acting.  "Wait I didn't..." 

There was a harsh sting and a collective gasp as she slapped him hard on the cheek. "I am going to go have a nice birthday dinner alone and if you try and grab me again it will be more than your cheek stinging." Her voice was as cold as ice as she turned her back on him and walked off to a little cafe not too far out of sight.
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #1922 on: June 26, 2009, 06:58:59 am »

"Why you cheeky little..." He chuckled, bopping her on the head with a soft, bright blue pillow. After giving her a sound bop he pounced onto her much like his more feline and angel-created counterpart. He mewled playfully, much to sweets' dismay. Cain was filling her position!

"I..I just..." He stroked his reddened cheek. A disheartened look on his face. Jeniko emerged from the store, the bell ringing. She pulled a lock of inky black hair from her pale face. She handed Sigmund a rose and pointet at Helena. Sigmund nodded and tapped Helena's shoulder. As she whirled around to see him he had gotten down on one knee, the rose extedned towards her. The tight red petals shimmered with pearls of dew. Several passers by had stopped to watch the debacle.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #1923 on: June 26, 2009, 07:14:59 am »

Helena was speechless for a moment. "It is my favorite. Just like the ones I tried to grow." Her face started to soften. "You planed this all along didn't you?"

Angel barked and the chase was on.   The fort fell down as the bricks were pulled out for ammo and soon Cain and Angel were romping in the big pile of pillows. Angel hit another buttion with a badly aimed pillow and the bed started to vibrate.  "Oh no! I think I broke the room, Cain."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1924 on: June 26, 2009, 09:18:22 am »

Dreyfuss had turned almost all of the symmetrical brass parts for the engine, and the floor at his feet was ankle-deep in brass shavings, and shavings also lay in a radius of about five feet around the lathe. "Miss Emma?" he called. I think we're ready to look at pounding out a few dents, or will be when I finish this last ring." He cast his eyes dubiously over his handiwork. "er, you might want to check these pieces I lathed as well."

Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 [77] 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 ... 87   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: