The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 19, 2019, 08:08:05 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 ... 87   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: STEAM LONDON: Realms of Aether Game Thread  (Read 128933 times)
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1825 on: June 19, 2009, 04:35:59 pm »

TEH smells of sausage, bacon, breakfast pastries and several different kinds of Jam eventually brought even Dreyfuss, Nadya, And Madame Arachne from their cabin and to the Ship's Mess. The Cook, Sgt. McLemore, used a style and method of cooking the large quantities of shipboard meals that was rapidly making disparaging comments about "air-fleet food" a thing of the past aboard the St. Elmo.great platters of bacon, scrambled Eggs, toast, hotcakes, even waffles, and the things to put on them on a separate table, several types of hot and cold beverages on yet another table... it was as if Delmonico's from California's Barbary Coast had set up shop aboard the Airship. to serve breakfast, and Luncheon and Dinner were becoming equally attractive.

The white flamers among the Air Rangers had already, for a couple of weeks, been taking advantage of the standing offer of "lab and workshop space in the Envelope Hold" and "scheduled use of the Engineering Machine Shop" to produce items for use on board the St. Elmo and in some cases, a few special orders from the School, in order to use, hone, and in a few cases similar to Nadya's, discharge excess whitefire.

The new extra tables, collapsible and modularly expandable, were but one example of the ingenious designs and projects thus being produced, in addition to the more mundane items, such as replacement machinery parts, uniform apparel, weapons (the cutlasses and practice swords from the night before being one very good example), goods both woven and knitted... it was almost as if an " 'airwise' university and student manufactory" for white flame technomants had been founded aboard the Airship; there was talk of inviting the O'Landry School folk to come aboard and share some of the facilities.

Also, some of the more noviciary white flamers were beginning to ask about perhaps taking introductory or remedial classes at the School. Dreyfuss decided to talk to Patrick about these issues, and sent him a teletype about it as soon as breakfast was over, reluctant though he was to leave Nadya's and Hyacinth's side. Cleo slithered in through the overhead air duct as he worked, and coiled around his shoulders, adding what solace she could, as he worked. A few minutes after he finished the teletype, a knock sounded at his door. "Come," he said in response.

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #1826 on: June 19, 2009, 05:50:15 pm »

Patrick awoke to the sound of a loud, mechanical hoot, An owl shaped construct carried a teletype message printed on lemon-yellow paper between its beak nudged PAtrick awake. He snatched the machine's beak, reading the message with a look of interest.
"Heh, not a bad idea there, dreyf." He mumbled to himself, sitting up and sitting down at his desk. A tiny construct who's left arm was comprised of an ink pen stood at the ready as Patrick began to dictate a reply.

"Well to be honest, your bannana story isn't anywhere near as bad as the one I told you about when we were stationed in costa rica for a month. It took us a week to catch that damn monkey." He laughed nostalgically.
"Though in hindsight, I shouldnt have sliced away my shirt. That was sort of my only one."

"I think it's Helena and Sigmund," Cain deduced "Those two have been talking all night."
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #1827 on: June 19, 2009, 09:29:52 pm »

"Well I think we can fix that tho I must admit I like you shirtless.  I think you are closest in shirt size to Cain and I think he still has some unaltered shirts from before he grew wings."  Helena knocked once on the door and was nearly bowled over by a pink blur. 

Angel hugged Helena and pulled up the hood on her pajamas. "Good morning Helena lady. Look I have bunny ears." She said pointing to her head.

"Yes you do." Helena said smiling.

"Hi Sigmund. Did you really chase a monkey around in your underpants?" Helena nearly groaned of all the people to over hear them it had to be her.

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #1828 on: June 19, 2009, 11:17:14 pm »

"Angel!" Cain snapped, attempting to soften any collateral made by Angel's rather rude and personal question.
"It's bad to listen in on other people's conversations." He attempted to pull her gently off of Helena, but it was no good. She clung to her like a limpet, though he couldn't help but smile at her unbridled energy.
"Er Cain, might I be able to borrow a shirt?"
Cain nodded and vanished into his room, reappearing seconds later with a rather clean green sweater.
"Do try not to slice this one open, mister Sigmund." Cain urged, pleadingly.
"I will do my best." Sigmund replied with a wry smirk.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #1829 on: June 19, 2009, 11:45:25 pm »

"But it was a funny story. Like the one about the inventor who's mechanical pants went all silly and made him dance all over town."  Angel like that story a lot and the pictures in the book were even better.  Helena shook her head Angel just did not understand.
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #1830 on: June 20, 2009, 01:30:47 am »

"Well, that was one of my favorite stories." Sigmund chuckled. "I suppose we had the same storyteller in my world. The inventor's trousers is a very popular tale among the soldiers. Though I suppose now, mister Cain will be writing my story about the monkey?"
Cain slid his pad and pen back into the drawer, doing his best to look unassuming.
Dr. Hastings
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

listen first, then learn to speak

« Reply #1831 on: June 20, 2009, 01:47:56 am »

The doctor had returned to his room late last night, and did not sleep. He talked to himself constantly as he paced the room. Later, he heard noises outside of the room, and decided to check it out. Pulling out a small mirror he checked his appearance, though not like it mattered. He still was stubbled as always, and the dark rings under his eyes persisted. Shrugging, he walked out of the room, and looked for the people.

Learn to listen to the world around you first, you will find the words you need from living.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #1832 on: June 20, 2009, 04:25:56 am »

"Now it is breakfast time right?" Thank goodness that Angel was very easily distracted by food.

"How about pancakes?"  Helena said knowing that would drive the monkey story from conversation.

"Yay!"  Angel squealed and then took Sigmund's hand.  "Helena lady makes the best pancakes, they smile at you."

Helena smiled and hoped Emma was doing better last night she had looked about worn through.
Dr. Hastings
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

« Reply #1833 on: June 20, 2009, 06:04:27 am »

Standing in the doorway, the doctor heard something about pancakes.
Blinking himself awake, he trudged into the kitchen and asked "Whats this I hear of pancakes?"
and leaned himself against whatever was handy.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #1834 on: June 20, 2009, 06:15:17 am »

"Good morning Dr. Hastings.  Please come take a seat I am making some breakfast." Helena was mixing up batter.

"Her pancakes smile." Angel said with a giggle from across the table. Emma wandered in nearly running in to the door frame and speaking in a half awake grumble.  Helena pressed a mug of tea in her hands hoping she could manage to drink it without spilling it all over herself.
Dr. Hastings
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

« Reply #1835 on: June 20, 2009, 06:22:25 am »

"I'm not sure I want food right now. I'm sorry." He said softly. turning to Angel "But I would like to see this smile" He said, grinning a little.

Pulling up a seat, He settled himself at the table either way. "So what is news today? What have I missed?" He said as he leaned back in his chair.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #1836 on: June 20, 2009, 06:41:00 am »

Helena made a quick line drawing with batter in the pan letting it cook for a moment before pouring the rest of the batter in. "When they flip over they have smiles, just like magic."  Angel could not take her eyes off the pan. 

Emma mumbled a response and Helena translated her early morning grumbles.  "She says we are going to travel on the aether plains looking for George again.  I herd that your last trip wasn't that pleasant and if you don't want to come that is fine but we could use the help."  Emma nodded pleased with the translation.
Dr. Hastings
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

« Reply #1837 on: June 20, 2009, 06:48:25 am »

"I might as well. I've got nothing here anymore." The doctor glanced off to the side, but quickly brought his head back to face Helena. "I wont let one trip ruin the rest! I'd be glad to help you gather your friend... that is a sentence I never thought I would say." The doctor lifted his hat and ran a hand quickly through his hair, it was clearly thin and greying, and replaced his hat. "Oh, but, only if I wont impose, I don't want to displace anyone!"
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #1838 on: June 20, 2009, 07:06:09 am »

"You won't be displacing any one we have an empty cabin across the hall from mine that used to be Elisha's.  Since he is watching over things in this London I don't think he would mind a bit."  Helena dished out the first cake to Angel because she knew it would be the attack of the puppy dog eyes if she didn't. 
Dr. Hastings
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

« Reply #1839 on: June 20, 2009, 07:10:48 am »

"Ah, very good! Then All is well! Is there,  by chance, an window in that room? I don't sleep very often, and usually pass the nights watching the night sky." The Doctor clasped his hands in front of himself where the food might have been placed, then glanced over at Angel's plate. "My word! They DO smile! How fantastic!" And leaned back into his seat with a small smile on his face.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 07:29:00 am by Dr. Hastings » Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1840 on: June 20, 2009, 07:26:48 am »

Whoever knocked on his door had not entered, despite being invited. Dreyfuss went to the door and opened it., curious as to why the knocker had not entered.Cleopatra craned her neck and head around as well, but the obvious conclusion was that there was no one in the corridor. "That's damned peculiar, " Dreyfuss said, aloud, and thought, I wonder if I'm beginning to go insane ...

About an hour later, Dreyfuss got his boat gun and possibles bag, put on the Paterson rig, replaced teh Webley in the shoulder rig, and the whitefire pistol in the inner pocket of teh greatcoat, which he donned, and strapped the reforged sword on, it having been added to a regular officer's sword harness. He then went down to Sickbay, to find Arach-- Hyacinth, he corrected himself mentally. To find Hyacinth taking care of the two guest wounded who remained aboard, and Nadya sitting on one of the unoccupied beds, apparently waiting for him, since she got up, put her arm around his waist, and said "Ready for another Adventure beyond the Aether plains, mi Comodoro?"

Dreyfuss Returned the embrace, and kept his arm around her waist, as Hyacinth came over and hugged them both farewell. They stayed thus, for a moment or two. " I know Nadya hates to just up and run off and leave you here, Hyacinth," He began, apologetically, "and so do I, but the search continues, and Miss Emma needs all the help she can get." Hopefully we won't be gone too long,'  and he hugged Hyacinth then, and So did Nadya, and then it was time to go. Dreyfuss asked Nadya, "do you want to fly or displace?" Nadya smiled and gripped him close around the waist, and then suddenly they stood in the workshop/hold of the Boheme.

"Maybe you can 'fly me away home' to the Saint Elmo when we get back," she said impishly, as they held each other a moment longher. Then Nadya went up front to report in, and Dreyfuss let Cleo down on the floor of the workshop, and she slithered up the leg of the workbench and into the box she had occupied on the last trip.
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #1841 on: June 20, 2009, 05:01:06 pm »

Cain could not help but laugh as he watched Angel coaxed the first pancake from Helena's griddle with a watery, doe-eyed pout. He had fallen victim to such wily abilities when cookies had been made, or she had wanted to go out and play at a particularly late hour.
No-one was immune to her abilities, not even Elisha. Cain recalled the time when Angel had managed to force Elisha's hand so that he would surrender his goggles for her to try on for a bit. Sadly, she was not really used to such shaded conditions and would repeatedly run into walls.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #1842 on: June 21, 2009, 05:01:58 am »

Emma had eaten two mouthfuls before she had realised what she was eating.  "As soon as breakfast is done and Dr. Hastings has a chance to settle in we aught to be going.  So far our return home had been peaceful and I think our leaving is the best way to make sure it remains so."  Emma was a bit sad about that.  It almost felt like she was on the run from Black again but without George to help.

Angel was making faces at Cain trying to make him giggle so she could steal his pancake.  It took far too long for them to cook and she was hungry now.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1843 on: June 21, 2009, 05:20:46 am »

"...and I think our leaving is the best way to make sure it remains so."

Nadya entered the lounge just as Emma uttered those words; her back was to Nadya, so she didn't see her standing there with a sympathetic look on her face, but Angel looked up and saw her at about the same moment as Cain did, a look as of a dawning sunrise spreading over her face as he smiled in greeting, Cain smiling and chuckling adoringly at Angel's reaction.  And then Dreyfuss came up the corridor behind Nadya, and said, "We're here, Miss Emma. There''s still a couple of guest wounded on board the Elmo, so it looks as if we'll all be on one ship again this time -- provided that it's alright with you, of course."
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #1844 on: June 21, 2009, 05:39:07 am »

"Good morning Dreyfuss. That will be fine it will be easier to set things up that way."  She caught sight of Angel and frowned.  "Don't eat Cain's pancake.  You know you would be sad if some one ate yours right?" Angel nodded "And you love your Cain and don't want him to be sad right?"

Angel looked at the table "I am sorry Cain. I shouldn't listen to my belly so much."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1845 on: June 21, 2009, 05:54:38 am »

Dreyfuss fought to keep his face neutral; this was a formative moment for the childlike Angel, and he wanted her to get the point of the lesson; he had not been exaggerating when told the Talos of the construct realm that Angel was "...like a child of my own village." She really did seem to him to be like family in the same way that the people of the hamlet in the Moses Austin Colony where he grew up had seemed to be, all those years ago. Sometimes he almost considered her to be like a younger, very naive, and very good-hearted sister. He suddenly realized Nadya was looking up at him, smiling at his attempt to maintain his stiff upper lip.
What?

Oh, nothing much... it's just that it's so cute how you are trying so hard not to smile, Dreyf.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #1846 on: June 21, 2009, 06:41:29 am »

"Because you were good and said you were sorry I think the next pancake should be for you." Emma quite suddenly had a very happy Angel hugging her and was quite glad the tea had already kicked in. How Angel could be so truly awake in the first thing in the morning all on her own Emma would never understand.

"Thank you Emma lady."  she waved and grinned at the newcomers.  "Hi Dreyfuss, Hi Nadya lady.  We are having magical Helena pancakes."
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #1847 on: June 21, 2009, 08:10:28 am »

Cain kissed Angel's syrupy cheeks.
"It's alright, my Angel, I suppose one's tummy does usually get the better of them." He cut a piece of his own pancake, placing the wedge of syrupy, buttery goodness between Angel's lips.
"But then again, if your tummy is as persuasive as your eyes, you may have a bit of a problem."
Sigmund waved jovially as Nadya and Dreyfuss entered.
"We are enjoying pancakes, though I hardly see what is magic about them."
As Helena flipped her latest pancake, it soared through the air, landing like a flat, steaming bird onto Sigmund's head. Cain snickered at the sight as sigmund heaved a sigh,
"I retract my statement." Sigmund declared, defeated by the pancake-loving forces of the universe.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1848 on: June 21, 2009, 08:46:54 am »

"We already ate," Dreyfuss said, "That Sgt. Mclemore's getting to be quite a chef. The ship's mess is getting to be almost as well-served as Delmonicos..."
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #1849 on: June 21, 2009, 03:48:22 pm »

"The pancake is giving you a kiss." Angel said and then broke in to giggles.

Helena laughed too and then handed Sigmund a plate and a towel. "I hadn't meant for you to ware your breakfast. But it is not a bad look on you."

"Pancake hat!" Angel said and started giggling all over again. She finished the pancake Helena dished out to her and started to daydream about wear they would go next.  Angel hoped there would be mermaids or fairies like in her picture book.  After all they had been to a world with kitty people there had to be a world like that out there.
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 ... 87   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: