The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
August 21, 2019, 09:17:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 [70] 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 ... 87   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: STEAM LONDON: Realms of Aether Game Thread  (Read 126649 times)
Dr. Hastings
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

listen first, then learn to speak

« Reply #1725 on: June 09, 2009, 06:02:53 am »

The doctor, looking up from his suitcase, after finishing apparently talking to himself, found a new person amongst the crowd. His new found companions all had guns drawn on the newcomer. Feeling mildly useless, with not but umbrellas strapped all across himself, asked "and whom, or what, is that?". Though was presently ignored again. Shrugging, The doctor closed up his suitcase, and sat on it, watching the scene play out.

Learn to listen to the world around you first, you will find the words you need from living.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler
United States United States

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #1726 on: June 09, 2009, 06:20:55 am »

Emma was glad for the distraction. "That is something that should not exist in this world.  That is a construct using a fragment of my partner as a power source.  If I take the fragment back with this containment device both construct and armor will power down, most likely permanently."

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1727 on: June 09, 2009, 07:21:23 am »

Apparently the games were nearly over; the usual earlybird departures that always occur toward teh endof any large public function anywhere could be heard walking past on the street's pavement not more than thirty feet away. Soon the maintenance people would be out to roust the bushes of vagrants and teh like, if Dreyfuss were any judge of the norm of things in this place.

"Well, whatever we're going to do, Miss Emma, We probably should do it now, before the crowds get too thick." Dreyfuss said, urgently.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 07:22:59 am by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #1728 on: June 09, 2009, 08:11:39 am »

Sigmund smirked, grasping Helena's wildly swinging arm with a single clawlike hand. The whirring of his lance and the sound of tearing metal filled the air. The proteus' extra arm came hurtling off its joint, landing in the dust. The emporer stood tall and the crowd grew silent.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, the winner of the battle by Disarmament is the Saint george!"
Cheers shook the air and could be heard by Cain, Angel and the others.
"The next battle shall be in ten minutes! The Champions Saint George and the Icarus!" The emporer announced.

Sigmund let his armor disengage, he quickly left the steel shell and ran to the shell housing his love. He disengaged the lock forcing the door open to see if his love was unhurt.
"Helena, are you okay?" He leaned in, checking her pulse and breathing carefully.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #1729 on: June 09, 2009, 03:12:40 pm »

"I am fine, Exhausted but fine. Now why don't you help me wiggle out of this thing? When you dented the leg it started to pinch a bit."  Helena said opening the locks to allow removal of the individual limbs of the Proteus.

Emma looked at both Angel and the masked construct.  This entire series of events hurt her heart badly and she wished it could end some other way.  "This is what I am going to do.  I will let you finish the tournament and say goodbye but after that I am bringing you home.  Your continued presence here will only cause death and pain to those you love.  You may not have noticed it but you make the world around you unstable, you cause fluxes in realty that will open a path for monsters who only want to rip this world apart.   I am not unkind but things must be done."  The last line was more for her own well beaning than any of those listening but she still felt like an uncaring cad.
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #1730 on: June 09, 2009, 04:06:58 pm »

Sigmund dented the leg compartment, bending it even worse but permitting Helena's leg to leave it freely.
"You think Emma will mind that we utterly demolished one of her inventions?"
He prodded the steel wreck of the Proteus with his food before allowing a procession of constructs carry it back into the contestant's room.
"Well, even if it wasn't meant for battle, you were probably my toughest oponnent."
He kissed her deeply, ushering another cheer from the audience who apparently loved a little pre-finals romance.

Cain gave an approving smile to Emma, knowing she had done the right thing in the situation even though it was difficult. She was starting to look more and more like the heroes he had sold books about, and these trials and tribulations now seemed as if they would make an excellent sequel to the Original tales of the Boheme.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #1731 on: June 09, 2009, 05:31:56 pm »

"Emma wont be happy I smashed it but I had no other choice.  Now lets go see If I can give the St George a boost before yo fight that metal monster." She wrapped her arm around his shoulder in what she hoped he thought was affection but in realty her right leg was cramping fearsomely and she thought she might fall over without him.

"Go back to your Emon and use what time you have.  I know you are a man of honor and wont run from the enviable." Emma's shoulders sagged, this was the first ime she was reluctant to take a part of George.
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #1732 on: June 09, 2009, 08:34:16 pm »

"Next up is that Icarus bloke. I hope I can go up against him, that armor of his is bloody feirce!" He smiled warmly, realising that she had hurt her ankle with the way she was walking. He placed one hand behind her knees and hoisted her up, carrying her in the style of many illustrated heroes before him.
"I'm sure you and I can make a suit of armor that will beat him easily, especially if we incorporate the parts of the proteus."
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #1733 on: June 10, 2009, 02:31:53 am »

Helena smiled she was already planing ways of repairing the St George. "We need to attach your weapons stronger, make sure he can't block the shell cannon and give you some stronger armor below.  I think we have our work cut out for us."  

The masked construct moved slowly and somberly. "What is the mater my light?" Emon asked.

"Nothing my master, just thinking of how much you look like your mother."

"Too much" Emon said looking down at her chest.  "Soon I will have to bind to keep this play going."

"I wish I could see you grow in to a young woman." The construct said moving to check on the wings.

Emon smiled.  "Silly Gaius haven't I told you that I will never let you go away."

Gaius Lucretius removed his mask to reveal George's smiling face. "Yes you have My Emma."
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 03:06:36 am by Stella Gaslight » Logged
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #1734 on: June 10, 2009, 03:00:48 am »

"Oh, we're capable. I've seen you do harder jobs in your sleep. Besides, my knowledge of weaponry and your knowledge on mechanics in general, I think we can give Icarus a run for 'is money."
He smirked, watching as mechanical centurions dragged the Saint George and the remains of the Proteus behind them into the engine room. Sigmund sat Helena down upon a sturdy wooden bench. He reached for the tool-rack upon the wall and began to work on re-attaching the lances and fortifying leg structures.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #1735 on: June 10, 2009, 03:18:45 am »

"Lift me up to the shell cannon I think i can make it un-jamable." She was beginning to realize how much she missed just fighting for fighting's sake.  She would have to start some sort of sparing regimen with Sigmund after this.

"Gaius! what if someone were to hear that name.  It would give the game right away." Emon said with genital reproach.

"Sorry my master." She was too excited to notice his sadness.

"Don't worry Gaius we only have a little more to go.  When we win I will have no shortage of work and then I can use my real name with no slave stigma attached.  We are moving up in the world I just know it!"  Emon grinned a whole new life spread before her.
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #1736 on: June 10, 2009, 03:29:30 am »

Sigmund heeded Helena's instruction, taking her up and placing her beside the machine's shell cannon. After doing so be made his own asjustments upon the metal centair, adjusting the speed of lance rotation and the sharpness of its tips.
"Odin could not have asked for a finer point." He declared proudly. Within hours, the saint George stood tall, prepared for its next skirmish.
"Well, wish me luck my dear." He kissed Helena and stood up, getting into his armor with a bit of a dramatic flare.
He ordered a pair of mechanical guards to give Helena the best (and safest) seat possible.
"And now, ladies and gentlemen;" The emporer boomed, "I give you the final match between the Saint George, the stalwart champion and son of Saggitarius, versus the Mighty Icarus! It is a battle of mythic proportions!"
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 03:35:50 am by Nigel Wetherby » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #1737 on: June 10, 2009, 03:53:06 am »

"I know this will be a risk but we need to see this match.  Is there any way we can sneak back in?" Emma asked

The Icarus shot forward as soon as the match began sword ready to strike only to be driven back with a loud clash from The St George.  It quicly righted itself and watched it's opponent with more care. This would not be an easy battle.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1738 on: June 10, 2009, 05:39:59 am »

"I'd say there must be a maintenance gate somewhere along this wall, Miss Emma, Dreyfuss said, we might be getting in that way; it probably woudnt be too heavily guarded."
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #1739 on: June 10, 2009, 06:06:42 am »

"Angel you have to be very sneaky for me so we don't get in trouble alright?" Emma nearly burst out laughing as Angel started to creep along on tippy toes.  "All right Dreyfuss lead the way."
Dr. Hastings
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

« Reply #1740 on: June 10, 2009, 06:13:35 am »

seeing he's being left behind again, the doctor floated his suitcase off again, and followed behind the rest of the group. "It matters not, I was never much of a talker anyway" He thought to himself.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1741 on: June 10, 2009, 06:45:54 am »

Dreyfuss looked back, and saw the doctor following along. Dangit, he thought, I'm always forgetting other people. I must be getting senile. "Doctor,"  Dreyfuss whispered, "Come up here, will you?" When the doctor drew up beside him, Dreyfuss apologized for not consulting him about the gate. "I'm sort of long in the tooth, doc," he said, "and apparently I'm going soft in the head as well. Can you get us back inside so that we can take care of our unfinished business?"
Dr. Hastings
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

« Reply #1742 on: June 10, 2009, 06:52:30 am »

"I'll see what I can do, but I can relate to the forgetfulness." Whispered the doctor. Trying to recall the path they took out, but realizing that that could only take them to the guards and the arena. Stroking his chin as he skulked, he recalled the warriors entrance that should be nearby. Whispering back, was it Drie-f? He was always bad with names. "psst, would the fighters entrance suffice? if not, I'm sure there is a small passage way near there."
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #1743 on: June 10, 2009, 07:26:43 am »

Sigmund and his faceless rival encircled  eachother along the circumference of the arena, shining their blades and rotating their lances.
The saitn George reared like a wild stallion before thrusting his lances foreward, their sharp tips tearing into the blue steel of the Icarus' arms. The Icarus slashed at the Saint george, the edge of the blade clanged loudly against Sigmund's sheild. The panels of the sheild pulled away, letting loose a spray of shells, which gnawed at the steel shell of the Icarus' chest.

"Your a damn good fighter, sir! I have to give you that!"
  Sigmund said with delight, his quip getting a reply by way of a steel blade digging into his shoulder joint.
The Icarus wrapped its hands around the arms of the Saint George, grappling with the quadrupedal armor. The icarus refused to let go, slowly lifting itself into the air, pulling all four metal hooves off the sandy ground.

"What the..? HEY!"
Sigmund cried out, attempting to free himself from the flying opponent's grip. The icarus began to spin Sigmund around in the air, letting him go and letting Centrifugal force do the rest. The saint George smashed loudly into the stone wall of the arena's inner circle.
"Bloody...urgh..."
The dust settled, revealing a still standing Saint george, the twin lances broken entirely off by the impact.
"COme on ya damn chicken! I'll shoot you out of the sky!!" Sigmund roared, aiming his shell-launcher.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #1744 on: June 10, 2009, 07:36:42 am »

The Icarus went higher and higher piking up speed.  At the very highest point it could ascend to the Icarus folded it wings and fell to earth like a guided comet laughing all the way.  The two titans clashed with a racket that shook the floor under Emma causing her to run as fast as the dared to see what was going on. She arrived just in time for a giant dust cloud to roll in obscuring the combatants.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1745 on: June 10, 2009, 02:00:32 pm »

Dreyfuss watched Emma to be certain to be available if she had a crisis of conscience or needed anything immediately, as she stood by the grating in the maintenance gate that led into the arena; the good doctor had led them in, past all checkpoints, without a hitch.

Nadya was also ready; when the tim ecame to get the fragment of Emma's friend, she woud displace her and whoever else needed to be there to th eexact spot within seconds. She woudl also displace them back here, to the maintenance tunnel  in seconds, if need be.

Both Dreyfuss and Nadya heard Emma gasp at the final clash of teh metal titans...

Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #1746 on: June 10, 2009, 02:57:01 pm »

The Icarus emerged from the dust, carrying in its arms a rather bruised up and unarmored Sigmund. The emperor stood up and hurled the iron laurels into the air. Sigmund caught the metal decoration and placed it over the head of the Icarus.
"Heh, it was A close one, wasn't it?."
Sigmund shakily left the machine's arms, his right arm hanging limply by his side.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #1747 on: June 10, 2009, 06:48:45 pm »

The hatch of The Icarus opened slowly to reveal its pilot.  Emon leaped from the cockpit grinning.  "That was the most fun I have had in a while."  She gave Sigmund a hearty handshake and walked out to the center of the ring.   Gaius Lucretius came out to stand beside his master knowing that his was far more dangerous than the fighting.   "People of Londinium please look upon your champion with kindness." She removed her wig to reveal the bald head of a slave.  "I am Emma Liburnius and I fight for my freedom."
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #1748 on: June 10, 2009, 07:00:30 pm »

The emporer looked upon the visage of the slave, her armor did not look stolen, and neither di the construct who accompanied her.
"You have indeed earned your freedom, slave." The Emporer declared, a kind smile across his young face. His red-haired emporess kissed his cheek approvingly.
"And you have earned much more than that. The grand prize of the event is not only your own liberation, but you will become the head engineer of the glorious steel centurion army of the mighty Empire of Rome!"
A pair of metal centurions approached Emma, bowing deeply in reverence a they presented her with the traditional band of purple, a sign of regality.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #1749 on: June 10, 2009, 07:20:23 pm »

Emma was in joyful tears as Gaius placed the band on her head.  "We did it, didn't I tell you we would?"

"I wish your mother was alive to see this." Gaius could feel his heart braking.

"I do to.  Just think no more staying in the gutters and scrounging parts. I will have a proper lab and three meals a day." She hugged him close as officials came out to congratulate her.  

"I will take The Icarus back to the hanger mistress, you must speak to these people." If he had been made to cry this would be the moment for it. In the fighters entrance Emma was sobbing.  "I am so sorry."

The construct removed his mask. "Do what you think you must."  He said and it sounded like he was hurting too.

"She will be watched over I promise you." She opened his chest and pressed the locket to the power core.  "I love you." She whispered in to his ear as he powered down.  For a moment Emma looked broken and then she slowly inhaled.  "We have to make sure his body is taken care of. He deserves a hero's grave."  Emma felt like she had a stain on her soul.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 05:17:46 am by Stella Gaslight » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 [70] 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 ... 87   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: