The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 28, 2020, 07:23:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 ... 87   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: STEAM LONDON: Realms of Aether Game Thread  (Read 130293 times)
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1625 on: June 04, 2009, 03:13:58 am »

"I don't suppose we'd have anything like a calliope on board," dreyfuss mused. the Elmo has one..." he drifted off for a moment, remembering playing Purcell and other classicists amongst the clouds after that first mission, and rollicking renditions of Belle Preusse, Under The Double Eagle, and...the Radetsky March. He suddenly became aware that someone was speaking to him, and snapped out of it. "er...I 'm sorry, what?" he said.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 03:17:20 am by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #1626 on: June 04, 2009, 03:35:43 am »

"Well, I suppose masquerading as a lifeless construct would beat being a gladiator."
Cain said, recalling pictures of gladiators locked in mortal combat against gnashing lions and frothing wild apes.
"But I think our human appearances might be a bit offputting. By the looks of things, they haven't discovered Aetheric technology and its full potential."
Cain looked on to see a proseccion of women clothed in scant blue silken outfits, dancing and whirling in the streets, accompanied by steel-armored automiton-guards. A man clothed in regal purple was carried upon a quadrupedal pedestal, a curvacious woman with bouncy red hair fed him grapes, her pale skin dotted with freckles. The purple-clad woman doted upon the revered man, the lithe man whom the citizens bowed to.
"I think that's our emperor." Said Sigmund, watching the celebrations from on high as the air roared with a unified proclaimation.
"Hail emporer Paulus! Paulus the wise!"

Sigmund had heard plenty about ancient rome, and to be perfectly frank, he was thrilled. He had heard tell of ancient roman boxing. No gloves, no rules, just pure and simple pugilism. Sigmund was as good as anyone with a weapon, but he felt the most alive when he fought with his fists.
"I certainly know what I will be doing. Who knows, maybe they may offer me some grand prize."
He smirked, imagining himself standing in the stone circle of victory, the bloodied and broken face of his opponent lay buried in sand, reddening it with his ichor. His pale fist extended into the air as scores of fans cheered.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 03:50:36 am by Nigel Wetherby » Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1627 on: June 04, 2009, 03:43:49 am »

Dreyfuss noted that they were getting odd looks from people, when they didn't cheer, and picked up the name of the fellow after a moment. HAIL PAULUS! he shouted, answering his crewmates' stares with a muttered, "When in Rome..."
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #1628 on: June 04, 2009, 03:52:56 am »

Angel was grinning she had a plan.  "We can make armor for Cain like Scraps and I can dress up like the Nala lady did."  She was remembering her visit to the theater and the fun she had dressing up.  "I can use my paints.  Remember when I made the big purple smugie on my arm and it took a long time to go away?  I could paint us all shiny like those things down there."

Helena had learned her history on her father's knee and had heard all sorts of stories about the emperors of Rome.  "I wonder if he is a Cesar or a Nero?"  She was a bit worried they would be found out and thrown to the lions or some such thing.

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
Vancouver Air Privateer
Zeppelin Admiral

Privateering off HMAS Landeythan

« Reply #1629 on: June 04, 2009, 04:19:01 am »

"What I'm more wondering is what he's doing in this far corner of his Empire." muttered Esmond. "I suppose with airships it's not too much of a task even for the laziest ruler - but there must be something pretty special going on here." He wondered if whatever it was had to do with George. Without knowledge of Aetheric energy here, a being of his type could get away with almost anything.

The procession passed and Esmond watched it as it went. It seemed to be going towards a large building with a beautiful dome - Esmond looked at the geography and realized that this was the equivilant of St. Paul's Cathedral, though it looked more like a temple here.

"Blessed be Science and her handmaiden Steam;
They make Utopia only half a dream."

"So he pulls an alternating-current taser on me and tells me that only the Official Serbian Church of Tesla can save my polyphase intrinsic electric field, known to non-engineers as 'the soul.' "
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #1630 on: June 04, 2009, 04:26:15 am »

"Maybe he's like Constantine. He was one of the better emporers, plus he Legalized christianity."
Sigmund was not what one might call unread. There was alot of time for reading history when one was between wars on smaller countries.
"Though I do hope they still have those boxing tournaments. Maybe I could get some teeth! I can make a necklace for you, Helena."
He laughed at his own grim little joke.

"I might like that. It has been far too long since I preformed, though we need to remember why  we're here. We need to find that shard of George, he's usually hidden in something solid, mostly prisms or vessels. If you see any jewels or automitons acting funny let the others know."

Cain was in all seriousness, their encounters in Boheme's park was far too close for comfort. Lord knows what might happen to her if she did something they didnt like. These were a culture of people who tossed slaves to lions...
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #1631 on: June 04, 2009, 04:46:22 am »

"I still have my George detector but once we get in the same building with him it isn't going to be much help and I don't have the arrays from the St Elmo to boost it.  Once we get that close we are on our own.  Hopefully this fragment will be reasonable and help us but we can't count on that." Emma looked serous as Angel painted swirls of gold and silver on her skin. She was happy that she got to make a mess without getting in trouble.

"As interesting as a enamel necklace would be I still prefer purls." Helena said with a chuckle.  "Besides I could make one as easily as you could."  She cracked her knuckles and grinned.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1632 on: June 04, 2009, 05:07:57 am »

I suppose... he did a clench-and-release, and watched the huge ball of whitefire flash up from his palm. I guess I could do a few 'magic' tricks. I dont think the flame body would be a good idea, though, I have to be really ticked off before I can do that easily, although it does seem to be getting easier each time." He paused, then said, almost inaudibly, " I'm not sure how I feel about that... ."

Dr. Hastings
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

listen first, then learn to speak

« Reply #1633 on: June 04, 2009, 05:58:53 am »

Stepping silently from the back alley, the Dr. watches the newcomers from a distance. He's seen that style of clothes before...

Sticking a distance back, he follows, unsure whether approaching is the best of ideas. Making a scene is a bad thing usually, but during the festivities that would more then likely end badly for everyone.
Unfortunately the swirling crowd after the procession keeps it hard to trail without getting close.

Learn to listen to the world around you first, you will find the words you need from living.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #1634 on: June 04, 2009, 06:42:22 am »

Angel was proud of the way her painting came out. She was all covered in sparkly swirls, the effect made her look like a person pretending to be a statue than one of the ungraceful constructs. Cain had been mostly hidden in makeshift armor and looked very much like an actor.  As they wandered down the street Emma consulted the George detector and guided them down an ally where a guard stoped them and asked for something they did not understand.  "Oh goodness what now?"  Emma muttered under her breath.
Vancouver Air Privateer
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1635 on: June 04, 2009, 07:05:23 am »

'That's what." said Esmond. Rising admist the houses of London, a round building, a Colilseum, just like the one in Rome, if smaller, rose up. Even with the Emperorattracting people the area outside was buzzing with people. The alley they were trying to get through opened onto a section that was blocked off on the road by more guards, leading into the arena. There was an awkward pause while the guard waited for a response. Then there was noise behind. Gloria looked around and saw a line was forming behind them - rough looking gladiators, brightly dressed acrobats, nervous actors. The guard shrugged, stepping aside, looking slightly annoyed that these performers were too haughty to give him their names. The people behind started shoving, wanting to get in to have time to prepare before the games.

'I think we're assumed part of the repetoire." said Esmond. "Er, I'd rather not be part of this. Whoever wants to go should start moving and whoever is out should get out of line now..."
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 07:55:15 am by Vancouver Air Privateer » Logged
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #1636 on: June 04, 2009, 07:13:56 am »

Cain stepped foreward, his walk was surprisingly mechanical, a stilted stride made it seem as if his knees had been made of door hinges.
<You-must-forgive-mistress. Mistress-hails-from-foreign-lands.> He stiffly placed a hand on his chest <One-will-translate. As-Mistress-has-programmed-many-laguages-into-one's-system.>
After a bit of an impatient statement from the guard, Cain leaned backwards in a stilted fashion, whispering,
"He wants to know your name and where you hail from. Also, who Angel is..."

"I have no doubt in my mind." He placed an innocent peck on her cheek, though his cool, smooth fingers stroked her jawline in a particularly unwholesome fashion.
"Alright, so they have a latin speaking construct, what about us? We need to get some info, and I doubt talking in lawyer phrases will help."
The booming crowd gathered in the miniature colesium where big ben would have been. Raising a thin, black eyebrow, Sigmund took Helena's hand, leading her into the bustle in order to investigate.
Dr. Hastings
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

listen first, then learn to speak

« Reply #1637 on: June 04, 2009, 07:20:35 am »

Noticing the people he was trailing were heading deeper into the fray, there was no hope but to dive in after them, and stick close. Hoping he doesn't drag any attention onto himself he pulls his hat low and keeps his brow lower, as to shadow his face more and hopefully make people not want to look twice. "And how, per say did you think to approach them?" He whispers to himself.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #1638 on: June 04, 2009, 07:26:49 am »

Emma was desperately trying to remember how names went in Latin.  She could remember the names of twelve different iron alloys but not her own.  Finally her mind clicked.  "Tell them I am Emmaline lux lucis and that Angelus (she pointed to Angel) here is a new model singing construct I have made." She turned back to Esmond. "I have to go in there, it is where the detector is reacting the strongest.  Hopefully I can find him and talk him in to coming home before we can get in to trouble."
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #1639 on: June 04, 2009, 07:44:45 am »

Cain translated, though the Guard simply laughed, claiming he had heard everything, and saying it all in crystal clear english.
"Do not over-exert yourself, my metallic friend." The guard chuckled.
"We speak this language only on the days of the festival, to honor the union of the two great nations of europe. But I look foreward to seeing the preformances of these "constructs" of yours. Will you be doing a certain play? Perhaps the Trials of Persius? Or the grim tragedy of the assasination of Ceaser? Though my own favorite is the legend of Emporer Lionus' "Permissive" wife!"
The armored sentry chuckled to himself, politely placing a hand over his lips.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1640 on: June 04, 2009, 08:01:48 am »

Dreyfuss did not shuffle and did not mumble or feign haughtiness. He knew what his features looked like, and people who lived long enough as swordsmen to become wrinkled and topped with gray-white hair aren't usually submissive. They are, however, often rather batty, presumably from people knocking them in the helmet all thetime; So, whenhis turn came up, he simply spoke right up in his Uncle's New World Colonial Gaelic English, saying, "Name's Jaisen Dreyfuss," drawing out the syllables so the guard would know exactly how to pronounce it, it came out as "Jay-sehnn Dry-fuss," with the kind of burr that his uncle would have been proud of. " I hight from Ark-nay (Orkney), Emma, Cain, Angel, and Esmond all stopped what they were doing and stared, waiting to see what the guard would do. "And what be your specialty, Sir Dreyfuss?" The guard asked.
"Swordsman, Sir, and me companions here part o' the same troupe, Sir. Miss Nadya here besides me is a dancer of great talent, she's been workin up a routine with me pet asp, 'ere," almost as if on cue, Cleopatra stuck her head up out from under Dreyfuss's collar and obliged with a flick of the tongue and a desultory "HIIIiisssppp!" Which caused the guard to recoil slightly.Cleopatra, well-behaved royal lady snake that she was, merely watched curiously a sthe guard overreacted, and then subsided, realizing she was not threatening him.

"Sorry, abou' that, sir, she's a bit of a tease, she is." he stroked her just below her head and snuggled her gently, and she nestled in closer to him and returned the compliment."but she's tame as yer granny's lapdog, not a bit o' harm in her, long as ye don't provoke her.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 08:09:45 am by MWBailey » Logged
Vancouver Air Privateer
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1641 on: June 04, 2009, 08:06:31 am »

"Well, Esmond." Gloria could not help saying. "Have any special talents you want to show off?"

"Hmm. Nothing that doesn't involve slicing things to pieces." he muttered. "I suppose we'll wait here, then teleport in if there's trouble."

"Nonsense." she replied. "We're going to go buy tickets. If there is a problem, we'll be in the stands and will be able to see it."

Esmond sighed. It was an integrated plan at least. He had to remember that he couldn't always use technology to overpower whatever world they were in. For now, they bought tickets just like everyone else. As he stood in the arena-goer's line, he looked across to the other side. Through a much larger entrance to the Arena, massive metal machines were being moved in. He realized that these were the gladiator's "arms and armour". He supposed that it might be a bit more exciting that just stabing each other with swords. Less dangerous too, if they armoured those things well enough. He'd be doubtful about getting in one though.

He spent the time in line watching them. There didn't seem to be a really common way to built them. Some had swords for arms, some rode on tracks, some had multiple legs like spiders. The proud engineers stood by their machines, some talking to their hired gladiators and some ordering slaves who polished the suits until they sparkled. One suit caught his attention - it was steel blue, with a remarkably precise design. And it appeard to have wings. He couldn't see how they could make a flying construct without Aetheric energy. It would be just too plain heavy. He looked. The engineer for that one seemed rather odd - his movements were jerky and he was all covered up in a heavy coat and scarf, even though the weather wasn't that bad. Almost like a construct...he mused. But constructs building battlesuits was rather odd, especially a construct who apparently knew how to work the Aether...
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #1642 on: June 04, 2009, 09:05:58 am »

Sigmund admired the steam-powered "gladiators" and their glimmering weapons. But the one that stood out the most was a gleaming construct crafted with white steel. it was built to resemble some armored statue of a god, a mighty sword and round shield in hand.
Sigmund approached it with reverie, as if it were some metallic god. A soldier always could appreciate a good weapon.
As he reached out to touch the machine's cool, white chestplate, his hand was knocked away by a short, stocky, haughty man clothed in soldier's garb. His cape was a regal red, showing he was a man of well standing. He was most likely a very sucessful gladiator. A man who fought for his won entertainment rather than some greater cause.

"You will not lay your filthy hands on Gladius, you uncouth little plebian lout! This is the contestants area, so I suggest you take your whore with you and go somewhere else!"
The stocky man snarled with the temperment of an enraged badger. Sigmund cracked his knuckles, tempted beyond all good sense to pount his face in.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #1643 on: June 04, 2009, 02:54:19 pm »

"We are preforming the story of Milo and Nala. I have even worked up articulated wings for my actors."  Emma smiled Angel had been to see the Milo and Nala play so many times she nearly had it memorized and hopefully that would lead to them being able to pull off a good performance.

Helena's eyes hardened as she looked at the stocky man.  The same temper that riled the dock rats reared it ugly head.  "I have made it through the treacherous straights of the Congo on my own at night.  I have taken down daemons and monsters that would make you quake like the jelly you are. I shot an air kracken from the sky single handed.  I have fought against gangs of men twice my age and well trained and come out without a scratch. I am not afraid of you, you vast pudding of a man and I am no one's whore."  Helena's voice was calm and even as she removed the daggers from their holsters under her overalls.  They gleamed with sparks and Sigmund could see Helena's unique style of drawing on them.  He was quite sure whatever she touched with them would be in quite a bit of pain.   
T.Taylor the Third
Zeppelin Admiral

A Crazy man

thethirdtea
« Reply #1644 on: June 04, 2009, 03:21:38 pm »

Trip got off the Boheme long after the others having fallen asleep in his room. He had decided to carry his Egauntlet, Esword, and his favorite, along with various throwing knives and small secondary weapons. He had also taken a handful out of his stash of gold coins thinking they might be useful in this place.
His backpack did not quite fit with the tech of the area but he didn’t truly care much. After looking about a bit he a guard in his finest Latin what the biggest activity that day was, "well, id say that’s the games over in the New Coliseum,"
"Ah yes that’s probley were they are heh....thank you, good day" he said tipping his hat to the man, he started to leave but stopped "uh...where exactly is that? Im rather new in the city you see" After the guard had pointed the way for him he once again thanked the man and was on his way.

A little man watched him go and taking his fine clothes and attitude into account said to his much larger companion "That be are next mark Thelonius, See how he moves without a care? Obviously he is use to being safe and comfortable; he's never been in the city before hehehehe"
Thelonius looked at Trip "uh...o-okay St-Sto-Stollion wh-what shoud i dd-d-d-do?" he stuttered.
"the little man sighed" let’s just follow him until he gets in an alley way or someplace secluded so we can rob him okay"
"O-okay b-b-brother w-whatever y-you s-s-s-say" the then stated to follow Trip as he walked along toward the games
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 03:26:30 pm by T.Taylor the Third » Logged

-“I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge.”
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #1645 on: June 04, 2009, 03:48:11 pm »

The stocky man sneered, drawing his sword from his scabbard.
"Do not take that tone with me, Woman! I am Rome's greatest warrior, the soldier who slayed the ferocious Frankish general Napoleon Bonaparte in single combat, I am Pius Maximus!"
He stepped foreward, sword extended and ready to strike.
A woman clothed in green with golden hair tied into a bun  quickly placed a hand on Pius' shoulder.
"You may be a gladiator, but that gives you no excuse to kill your fellow contestant, Pius." The woman's voice was bot playful and authoritative, and judging by the frustrated look on Pius' face he could do nothing to end her taunting.
"This is not the years before Christ, little man. We do not kill contestants, especially if there is no crowd to cheer on the spilling of their blood." The woman reprimanded before turning to Helena and Sigmund.
"Excuse me miss, Are you entering your slave into the tournament? He looks like a very strong young man indeed. I bet you give him quite the workout to keep him in this shape."
The woman winked playfully and snickered.

"Hm, I must say I have never heard of that play. The emporer loves new plays though, though I doubt you will be able to earn the favor of his applause after he has seen the works of Julius Spiro."
The guard stepped aside, permitting the constructs and their "Creator" To enter the bustle of the Theater.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1646 on: June 04, 2009, 04:16:15 pm »

"Pray, sirrah, leave off and aggravate her nae more," Dreyfuss said, smiling both jovially and menacingly at the short warrior, "she's hard enough tae break bread with as it is." Dreyfuss turned and winked at Helena, holding his arm out between the two as if to draw her into a comradely embrace (but also to help her see that they were all in danger of getting into a battle that they could not afford just yet).

"I care nothing at all for how she breaks bread, but she'd be fine to break toa man's will," the unwise fellow said.

Dreyfuss drew himself up, opened his coat and vest and shirt, revealing the Marauder-made Mailshirt and hauberk that was standard dress over smallclothes even in the Texian army to that day, due to their resiliency against gunfire and hafted weapons, and even most archery weapons; he also pulled his sword half out of it's scabbard and narrowed his eyes,  letting just enough of the flame through to make them glitter dangerously and weirdly.

"I'm a soldier, sir, and I've seen marr battles and more gore than most men 've seen of breakfast before they're thirty. Most o' the gore was other people's, and I've survived as both a swords man and an air officer, to be relatively old. Get the bloody POINT?!."

The guard, or cointestant, or whatever he was turned white as a sheet, backed up, and nearly fell over himself moving to find somehere else to stand guard. Dreyfuss fought the wildfire back into its kennel an dprayed that he would not have to use it on the man.

"Sorry, Miss Helena. While I'm quite sure you could make him into ground chuck, I'd rather not serve him up just yet. Are you all right?"
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #1647 on: June 04, 2009, 09:16:02 pm »

Helena fumed in silence for a few moments and then exhaled.  "I am going to enter the contest. I will not suffer a bully like that to continue his rein.  It is high time they were knocked down a peg."

Angel let out a squeal of joy. There were all kinds of costumes that the actors could rent for a small fee and music all around all in all it seamed the perfect play place.  She burst in to song, something so bright and trilling that the other performers who were warming up fell silent to listen.  There were lots of jealous eyes on them then and some friendly ones too.  Either way they had managed to shake up what was a rather firm looking hierarchy in only a moment.  Emma sighed trouble seemed to follow them like a puppy.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1648 on: June 04, 2009, 09:25:17 pm »

"Then You'd better augment your weapons with some stronger fire, Miss Helena; he's not going to meet you on the ground by himself; that machine of his is his fighting platform. I only hope they'll allow me tae use me fire and me wings," he said, dropping back into character as two guardsmen strolled past.
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #1649 on: June 04, 2009, 10:10:03 pm »

"Oh there is not a way in this world that I am letting you compete in all the fun while I wait in the sidelines like some over entusiastic athlete's strumpet!"
Sigmund exclaimed, cracking his knuckles as the inhuman muscles beneath his skin twitched, aching for action.
"I want to help take that snooty little gnome down a notch! Didn't miss Lighton mention an old walker tank from the cold one wars? Mister O'Driscoll mentioned the Saint George more than a few times."

Cain placed a hand on Angel's shoulder, urging her to be silent for her own safety, though not in so many words, after all he was posing as a non-sentient machine. Which was terribly hard seeing as how he was in the company of the one thing that made him feel the most human.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 ... 87   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: