The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 26, 2020, 01:34:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 ... 87   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: STEAM LONDON: Realms of Aether Game Thread  (Read 130246 times)
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler
United States United States

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #1600 on: June 03, 2009, 04:25:31 am »

"Cain said Rosie tried to eat his head but I think she was just a very good hug-er."  Angel said munching away and taking big gulps of tea. Her voice was coming back nicely.  "I think I will draw a picture for Cleo's room to make it pretty." The cookies were nearly gone and she wondered if they had any bread for a jam sandwich, Today was a hungry day.

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #1601 on: June 03, 2009, 04:58:52 am »

"I know she has no means to harm me, but still something about her just..." He shuddered involuntarily, twitching just a bit as his hair stood on end.
"I think it's the fact that she never blinks. It's like she's staring at me. Watching."
He sipped his tea, his pinky shaking as fear and courtesy intermingled.
"I'm sorry Mister Dreyfuss, but I am not in any way, shape or form fond of snakes. But I don;t want my fears to hunder your friendship with her, Angel."
He smiled an approving smile.
"Play with her all you want, I'll even help you with your picture."

"And what impression might that be?" Sigmund asked, arching a brow, a false tone of questioning tensed his voice.
"That we were engaged in some sadomasochistic dual catharsis in which we were both able to attain peace by viciously beating eachother senselessly? Because I figured that was what we were doing."
He laughed warmly and wrapped his arm around hers, leading her into the Boheme.

Madame Arachne unlatched her hold on Nadya, standing up albeit shakily.
"I think I will be fine for now, Nadya. Thank you so much for helping me through this. I cannot really thank you enough for your willingness to help me."
She kissed her lover once more, her lips still tasting of tears.
"I love you."
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #1602 on: June 03, 2009, 05:21:32 am »

Angel smiled Cain was so very nice even when he was scared. "We should make her a picture of the jungle with big trees she could climb and big leaves so the rain couldn't get her."  She had read a little about snakes in a book but she had trouble remembering that here were different species.  "Cain show me how to make the bread all crunchy again.  I am still hungry."

Helena was thinking that a warm bath would be absolutely amazing when she heard Angel's voice echoing down the hall. "I think we had better go in before we either have no bread left or Angel manages to light it on fire again."

MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1603 on: June 03, 2009, 05:38:41 am »

It's alright Cain, I remember now, I think. I must be going soft in the head.anyway--!" he cut off as Nadya popped out of thin air into the galley, already in a dead-ahead walk.

"Ah! there you are, Nadya! Miss Emma's just putting Cleo--!" he cut off as she kept on walking.

"And I love you, Hyacinth." Nadya said, kissing her back one last time. She bid her lover farewell until her return, and walked out of Madame Arachne's stateroom, and down the side of the Engineering Deck, deftly avoiding the cots and pallets of now-sleeping patients. She reflected that if it weren't for the guns upstairs, the Saint Elmo would make a perfect hospital ship; replace the cots with beds and make real wards instead of groups of cots...

Nadya displaced herself to the Boheme at about that moment. A good measure of her level of preoccupation with Hyacinth's state would be that she was walking when she displaced, and continued walking after she arrived, dodging around the doorway of the Boheme's Galley and continuing down the hall until she realized where she was, and then covered it by proceeding down the ramp to the steering room, waiting there until a casually-strolling Dreyfuss caught up with her, and stood to the side just behind her.

"Penny for your thoughts," he said, extending a hand to her with one of the huge British one penny coppers held between thumb and forefinger. Nadya smiled slightly and took the penny, bouncing it on her palm and then pocketing it, with a crooked, mischievous grin; she became serious again in short order, however.

"You're right. She's very disturbed by the carnage. But she doesnt hate you, specifically, Dreyf. She distrusts men in general. But I'm pretty certain she does love you, in a very cautious, tentative way. She didnt simply dash into her room and slam the door, did she?" Dreyfuss shook his head slowly. "I didn't think so. If it were anyone else, even Jock, she probably would have."  She sighed. "I think you were right about her exposure to field hospital realities, too, Dreyf. She was shocked to the core of her being, and the loss of four patients didnt help either, and that after all those years of running her hospital. But she's not angry with you, and she doesn't hate you. We both trust you and love you dearly, Dreyfuss. DONT ever go off like you did, again, though." She glared at him, then, but her gaze softened after a moment.

"In the future, I will contrive some way to let you know i had no choice, and if there is even a smidgin of time before I have to leave, I will send to you if nothing else." He promised, in a drawl that somehow conveyed honesty, apology, love, and concern. "I will contact you somehow, at some point, as soon as I can, Nadya. I swear it. And I also swear that love both thee and she."

Nadya smiled at that, and then said that she would wait by the steering mechanisms so she could think for a few minutes. Dreyfuss and she decided thay'd handle things te way they had on the St. Elmo, he feeling and watching over the internal security of teh ship, she the external and the navigational end of things.

Dreyfuss walked back into the Galley and saw that Sigmund and Helena were aboard, and also Esmond and Gloria, whom he greeted. Hello Gloria, Esmond. He stopped to talk for a few seconds before going to find a bed to strap into, letting the fire begin to stoke up inside of himself.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 06:24:33 am by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #1604 on: June 03, 2009, 05:45:53 am »

Cain took a few slices of the crusty italian bread, placing it on a hot black skillet. He gave it a few splashes of olive oil and cooked up the round slices. He placed a few golden brown slices on a white plate, laying down the plate at the center of the table.
"Miss Jen showed me this stuff, She called it Broscutto."

Sigmund and Helena came in just in time to smell the bread toasting. The toasted, yeasty smell wafting through the hallways as it danced hand in hand with the scent of razzberry preserves.
"I never knew Cain was such a gourmet." Sigmund proclaimed, sitting down and taking one of the circles of bread, spreading the jam on it and taking a bite.
He savored the sweetness of the jam and the nutty flavor of the bread.
"Oh godess, Helena, you need to try this."
Vancouver Air Privateer
Zeppelin Admiral

Privateering off HMAS Landeythan

« Reply #1605 on: June 03, 2009, 06:00:06 am »

Angel gave a startled, then delighted squeal as Gloria transported herself and Esmond into the room.

"Dreadfully sorry that we've been out of contact." she bubbled. "But Mr. Vortex had quite a lot of work and briefing and such."

"Don't worry, we won't stay for long." added Esmond.

"Oh, right, of course. As mentioned, we've been instructed to help you in any way possible. We've already checked your next destination with Ms. Lighton. We're going to go there right away and look it over a bit - try to make getting along as easy as we can. We'll also look for the piece of George when we get time."

She finally took a breath. "Oh my... that does smell rather delicious. Do you mind if we take some for the trip?"

"Blessed be Science and her handmaiden Steam;
They make Utopia only half a dream."

"So he pulls an alternating-current taser on me and tells me that only the Official Serbian Church of Tesla can save my polyphase intrinsic electric field, known to non-engineers as 'the soul.' "
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #1606 on: June 03, 2009, 06:09:14 am »

"Yum Cain makes the best braw.. bres.. bresh..."  She paused for a moment "He makes the best crunchy bread." 

Helena laughed at her miss pronunciation and took a bite.  "Yes he does."

"Please take some for yourselves.  Now that Cleo is secured we should prepare for a jump. We have a job to do."  Cain nodded and put away anything that could brake in transit and Angel finished her meal and took out her drawing supplies.  The transit had never really bothered her.  "We will launch in five minutes. Those that have to strap themselves down should do so now."  Emma went to go warm up the d hopper with a little smirk on her face wondering where they would end up this time.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1607 on: June 03, 2009, 06:41:12 am »

Dreyfuss went back to the lab, checked on Cleo, and took off the boat gun and laid it on the spare bed that he dug out from under the old boxes in the corner. It didn't have sheets or a blanket, but it did have a mattress, and straps. He put the bed by the workbench, where he could look up at Cleo, and she could look down and see him. He untied the cord that held the mattress in a rolled-up state, spread it out, and got in and started the leg and waist straps , then finally fastened the shoulder straps. he didnt have long to wait before the fallen angel that lived in teh D-hopper grabbed ahold of teh ship and pulled it gently over the boundary yet again,and the ship shot across the Aetheric planes like a pat of lard on a hot griddle...
Vancouver Air Privateer
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1608 on: June 03, 2009, 06:48:03 am »

Gloria nodded, vanishing as she was still munching on the "crunchy bread". She sighed as they arrived. For whatever mysterious reason the Aether worked in, the Broscutto had been lost in transit. Somewhere, somehow, someone was about to have Italian bread with jam fall on their head.

Gloria looked around. This was sort of similar to London... but different. Some buildings looked the same, but others didn't. She realized that they all were done in the Classical style - columns and such. There wasn't a sight of the Gothic architecture that had been a part of the Londons she knew. She then realized that all the Store and street signs were apparently in Latin. It was being spoken as well.

They backed out of the way as a troop of soldiers marched right down the road, rifles shouldered, uniforms in red and gold and white gleamingly smart while a bannder with an eagle emblem was held high.

"Oh my." said Gloria. "What do we think we should do...?"

"When in London, do as the Londoners do." said Esmond dryly.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 09:18:18 pm by Vancouver Air Privateer » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #1609 on: June 03, 2009, 07:16:52 am »

Transit was never good for Emma but she made it out of this one with only mild nausea.  Looking out at the world below them she was shocked by how clean and neat it looked.  She opened communication tubes allover the ship.  "It looks like we have entered a very civilized looking world so please be on your best behavior and prepare for landing as soon as I can find a place to do it."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1610 on: June 03, 2009, 07:58:36 am »

Y ahear that, wings? behave yerselves, Dreyfuss cracked. there had ben no problems inside or outside the ship; he had checked many times himself. Suddenly , he noticed that Cleo was by his side, with a large piece of toast and jam all over her back...
Vancouver Air Privateer
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1611 on: June 03, 2009, 08:11:50 am »

Gloria looked up. "The Boheme!" she said. "We better get something arranged before there's an incident..."

"That might not be neccessary." said Royce. He pointed to another airship that glided slowly overhead, puffing steam. Then another.

"Looks like the Romans got quite a bit more done here." he remarked. He noticed something a bit odd. Most people on the street were dressed roughly like the gentry and middleclass from the London he had left - the designs were a bit different though, closer to what he had seen in the Medeterranian in his time period. But there were still people running around in togas and sandals, with shaven heads. One of them came up to him, bowing and muttering something. Esmond stepped back when he realized he wanted to sweep the streets.

"Slaves..." said Gloria. "Still in this day and age. Well, their day and age.

"Mhm." said Esmond. "Lets not make too much of a scene by dissapearing. I see most of the Airships coming and going from somewhere over there. I think that's where their docks must be. We can meet up with the Boheme there."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1612 on: June 03, 2009, 05:36:09 pm »

Dreyfuss brought the now-sticky-all-over Cleopatra into the galley, and found a pan and filled it part way with water, and put it on the stove. Nadya cam ein behind him, then, and saw Cleopatra, jam all ove rher, the bread stuck to her tail, and dreyfuss heating water in a pan on the stove. Nadya giggled slightly, and Dreyfuss turned to face her. "What?"

"Its hard to say. either you're about to give your snake a bath, or she's about to be supper."

Dreyfuss looked at Nadya, Horror etched on his features. "Eat CLEO?! That's utterly insane! Don't you worry, Cleopatra, I would never do something so despicable."

"I should hope not," said Cleopatra, laughing a very loving, snakely laugh, although it came out past her reptilian lips as "HIISSppsssuppesss!" Only Dreyfuss understood her, because of his long association with both Cleo and her mother, Rosie. Nadya found the whole scene adorable and more than slightly humorous, of course, especially when Dreyfuss wet a towel in the very-warm water and proceeded to wipe Cleo down with it,While Cleo just seemed to love the attention and the washing.

When it was over and Dreyfuss put the wet towel away and dried her off with another towel. he tried to carry her in that towel, but she insisted on climbing his arm and slithering in under Dreyfuss' shirt, vest, and coat, wrapping herself loosely around the base of his neck, resting her bulk on his shoulders, her head under his left ear. Dreyfuss smiled slightly, and gave cleo a good pat-and-stroke on the head. She settled in, contentedly. "Well, lets go see if the others are as ready to go as we seem to be," Dreyfuss said, and proceeded to the steering room.

"I think you're in for a shock, Comodoro, Nadya said.

"Oh? why?" Dreyfuss asked, and then looked out from behind Emma and Helena. "Lafitte's Bones!" he exclaimed, "Is that London? It looks like Rome, without the ruins!"
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 05:49:14 pm by MWBailey » Logged
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #1613 on: June 03, 2009, 07:13:15 pm »

Sigmund looked over the edge of the airship, the marble white buildings glimmered int he bright sun, streaks of gold inlay shone even brighter still, almost blinding him.
The smell of roasted lamb hung in the air. They had apparently come during a festival, as music seemed to saturate the air.
Minstrels and preformers in outlandish outfits preformed and danced for passers-by, taking up piles of gold coins in their wooden coffers.

From what Cain could gather, the citizens of this roman london were speaking an odd amalgomation of Gaelic and Latin.
"Er....does anyone speak dead languages?" Sigmund asked, wishing he knew what these people were talking about.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1614 on: June 03, 2009, 08:17:41 pm »

Dreyfuss said, "I understand a little Old Scotch Gaelic, but its pretty much polluted with New World idioms and such. It's what they spoke in Uncle Caractacus's colony. I really can't say I speak it, I dont really remember much, and what I do remember makes me want to cough when I try to pronounce it." he explained. Dreyfuss listened to some of what was being said that he could make out, and said, "It's some kind of celebration, a hero or something. I dont hear a specific name yet, or If I do, I don't understand it as such. I really don't speak it, or at least I don't speak this polyglot" he waved his hand at the air in general. "It's mostly just gibberish to me."
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 09:05:55 pm by MWBailey » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #1615 on: June 03, 2009, 09:13:13 pm »

"I know some Latin but it is mainly scientific terms and I don't have any experience with Gaelic." Emma frowned so far they had been able to understand the people in almost every world they went to.  She focused and tried to make whatever power had help her speak with the cat people but it was not forthcoming.  The wireless squawked with the unknown language and Emma looked nervous.  If they had airships they had a way to take airships down.  Angel cocked her head to the side listening and then replied to the voice in a short burst of song and a giggle.  The voice said something back that sounded friendly and Angel made a happy sound and nodded.  "How did you talk to  them?" Emma asked astonished.   

"That wasn't talking that was singing." Angel answered as if it was the simplest thing in the world. 
Vancouver Air Privateer
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1616 on: June 03, 2009, 09:35:17 pm »

Walking down the streets of this London was surreal. If it had just been ancient Rome, then Esmond may have had the ability to get himself into a correct mindset at least. But this bizarre mixture was a bit stranger. He picked up what he thought was a penny and saw not the Queen's face, but an imperious looking man. He saw a sign advertising what looked like a gladiatorial fight - each gladiator mounted in large steel battlesuits spewing steam. Horses pulled not the English carriage along the streets but two wheeled chariots.

"I wish Vortex had warned us that we were traveling into a no-English zone." he muttered. "Even if he didn't impart knowledge he could have at least tossed us a phrasebook."

"Oh, well I do have one of Latin here." Gloria responded. "When I was studying Latin was sort of a medium language for all the people who spoke different tongues." She pulled out a battered book. "I doubt it's quite the same but I think we could get by."

She looked up, gasping. The airship dock was a truly impressive sight - a massive columned tower rising above the city, with a wide dome, airships docking all up and down it's side.

They went in, taking a beautifully carved elevator upwards. The sides of the cages had the designs carved elegantly in brass. Soon they were at the outside level, near the top. They waved at the Boheme, it likely that they would see them up here easiest.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1617 on: June 03, 2009, 09:50:05 pm »

Dreyfuss saw the two Guardians at about the same time as everybody else. "Hey, look over
there! Isn't that Gloria and Esmond? Looks like they're waving us over to them."
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #1618 on: June 03, 2009, 10:13:05 pm »

"Well that dock seems open and hopefully we can land there without any problems."  Emma guided the Boheme in to what she guessed was the proper place.  The tie downs that secured the ship were very simple and reminded her more of sailing ships than airships.  Angel liked this place there was lots of singing and food smells coming up from below. People were having fun down there and she wanted to see it up close.

Emma pulled her back from the edge.  "Hello Gloria and Esmond can you tell us anything about the world we landed before we meet the locals and make a mess of things?"
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1619 on: June 03, 2009, 10:39:00 pm »

Not wanting to seem overly warlike, dreyfuss put the boat gun in the possibles bag, feeling it going in, but once again, feeling no difference on the outside of the bag, be it weight or bulk. the gun had gone wherever things went to when put into the bag. Eh wondered if he should put the sword away as well, but saw awell-heeled gentleman walking by wearing a rapier, so he decided to keep his sword out in plain view; besides, the sight of it sliding into the possibles bag right after something like the boat gun going in could cause an incident.

at thatmoment, of course, Cleopatra decided to pick her head up and look around, testing the air with her tongue. Dreyfuss stroked her on the back of her head, soothingly, and she turned her head and pressed her nose against his temple. dreyfuss leaned into the "hug," as he had come to think of such gestures. Cleopatra flicked her tongue against the goggles on his peaked officer's cap, and continued to look around, but made no move to leave his shoulders; in fact, she snuggled in more firmly.

"What is it, girl?" Dreyfuss asked her.

"Hiissppersmist puttasssiphisss" ("I don't know, the air just tastes funny")

"It's probably just the coal smoke, hon."

"Hisspanittsssp."
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #1620 on: June 03, 2009, 11:00:25 pm »

Angel was looking at the people with shock and curiosity.  "Cain they are wearing bed sheets!" She exclamed
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #1621 on: June 04, 2009, 12:19:00 am »

"I suppose they are..." Cain said, looking over the edge of the gleaming empire. The Latin wireless crackled in within his earshot.
"Miss Emma, I think they are asking us to land." Cain said, approaching the radio. "They think the Boheme and the Saint Elmo are the ships carrying the entertainers they called for."
One of the first languages Patrick had taught Cain aside from English was Latin, the Deus components within him also helped give him a hand with dead languages.

Sigmund stared at him, flabberghasted as Cain began to speak in repliance to the transmission.
<Excuse me, Sir. We don't have the gladiators with us.>
Vancouver Air Privateer
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1622 on: June 04, 2009, 12:48:07 am »

Esmond nodded when he understood what Cain was talking about.

"Yes. Gladiators. Gladiators, Emporers, Chariots - but all with steam power. I suppose we've found ourselves in the timeline where the Roman Empire never stopped growing and never fell. So far, no location on George though."

"We're not too conspicuous thankfully" said Gloria. "Our fashions are a bit off, but they'll assume we're foriegners from some far off part of the empire. Only the slaves still seem to be restricted to togas."

"What do we do about this though?" said Esmond. "We can't send any of us into the gladiator pits, but they might start getting pushy about border control if we don't go along..."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1623 on: June 04, 2009, 01:44:45 am »

"Uh..." Dreyfuss began, "I suppose I could pass my self off as a snake charmer, 'long as I don't have to charm anybody but Cleo here. give me a sword, and as long as it's not much bulkier than a saber, I could be a passable swordsman. Then there's the wings. If the costume gets scanty, I might not have a choice about showin' 'em off."

Nadya spoke up and said, "I can dance, and sing a bit; I could also do a bit with Cleo if she would let me."

"Hiissspp! ssssurrrrrussrrrisshhhissp...hisssp."

"Was that a yes or a no, Dreyf?" Nadya asked, giggling slightly.

"It was more of a 'depends on what you want to do with me,' in a coy sort of way," dreyfuss said, dubiously, "she apparently wouldnt mind dancing with you, but she's not exactly sure what else she could do, not being two-legged... of course, it's possible I didnt understand..."
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #1624 on: June 04, 2009, 02:08:15 am »

Emma got a rather nostalgic look on her face.  "I can always bring back the act George and I used to do tougher.  The scientific wonders of Lewastine and Lightion. Goodness I has such fun back then.  I bet I can knock tougher another symphonic aether orchestra in no time at all and Cain and Angel can masquerade as my creations if they don't mind."  Emma grinned the love of the stage had never completely left her.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 ... 87   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: