The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
August 13, 2020, 02:56:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 ... 87   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: STEAM LONDON: Realms of Aether Game Thread  (Read 132804 times)
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1550 on: May 29, 2009, 08:24:08 pm »

Dreyfuss turned his attention back to the thing in the gateway. Gathering all of the fire he could muster (an amount that seemd to be getting larger by the second), he turned aorund in midair and hovered, aiming the whitefire pistol at the demon, and firing a bolt as big around as his thigh, and as long as his forearm. It slammed into the thing, and knocked it out through the gate, and into the street beyond, its shielding falling off in shattered starry pieces. he was lining the pistol up for another shot, when a sensation like a giant palm of teh hand slapped him back toward the school. Dreyfuss managed to right himself just before he would have smashed into the outer wall, and then watched in horror as Nadya grappled hand to hand with the demon, releasing all of her excess white fire. "Nadya?" He breathed. The demon then threw her off and into one oif teh gateposts, actually knocking some of teh stonework off of it. "NADYA!" he yelled, and then saw her brothers run out from the Boheme.
He gathered his wings and his will and strength, and swooped out to the gatepaost, faroutsdistancing Nadya's Brothers, and punching the demon dead square between the eyes, letting go a massive bolt of fire as he did and watched teh demon's head rupture and gush black blood and steam and smoke. he then hurried to Nadya and picked her up, and nearly dropped her when she grated, "Dammit, Dreyf, I'm not dead yet. Put me down and let me fight."

"Are you sure?"

"YES! I'M SURE! now put me DOWN!"

Hurt, Dreyfuss did as she said.

The demon was coming around, visibly, but still she turned back and laid a hand on his arm above the elbow, and said, "I'm sorry, Comodoro." He smiled at her to show there were no hard feelings, and stood close by in case she needed help. Emilian came rushing up with Nicolae in tow, then, and demanded to know why he did not stop her, saying "How could you let such a delicate flower as my sister do such things!" And things that sounded similar, in a dialect of Spanish that he only understood parts of.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 08:31:56 pm by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #1551 on: May 29, 2009, 09:20:35 pm »

Patrick opened fire at the hideous figure, concentrating all his pent-up frustration at whatever entity wanted to see his school in ashes upon this monster. Shot after shot of searing white energy blazed towards the monster, who easily ducked and avoided each column of aetheric energy. A slab of cruel, hooked steel whirled towards him, cutting his gun in half. The impact pulled him from his feet onto the ground. It was obvious now that their foe posessed incredible speed and skill to accompany its power of influence.

Cain refused to be intimidated by such skill, leaping at his enemy with bestial ferocity, swinging both deus blades like an infuriated mantis. His speed matching that of their attacker. Swing after swing was narrowily dodged by the Daemon. The daemon thrusted a claw foreward, surrounding in with purple flame. its claws sunk into Cain's chest, the demon payed for its blow with the loss of its hand, Cain glared at his attacker as his leftover hand shrivelled and dried, stil lodged partly into him. He was thaknful it was just a shallow wound.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #1552 on: May 29, 2009, 09:39:59 pm »

Angel stayed back from the thing but she was smiling, she had a plan.  She ran back to the school and and yelled to those inside of it.  "Sing with me and we can stop the bad thing."  And Angel started to sing a banishment song much like the one that had gotten rid of Amon.  Her wings started to pulse in time with the rhythm sending the power out to Cain who felt it quite strongly in his wings.

Helena and Emma were formulating a plan of their own.  Helena was drawing a large pattern in the dirt and Emma was adding some small hastily cobbled together aether disruptors. When that creature tried to get in it would trigger their small minefield and hopefully be destroyed. "Clear!" Emma yelled as she placed the last device. 

"You are a trigger to remove evil." Helena said to her drawing in the dirt as a bright white spark fell from her lips.  "It is armed." She fell back with Sigmund ready to attack if their experiment failed.

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1553 on: May 29, 2009, 10:41:47 pm »

Dreyfuss flew in a short hop over behind the demon, and drew his sword using the last vestiges of his controlled-temper whitefire to line his blade and limn the edges of his wings so that now he wielded, in effect, three blades instead of just one, whirling aroud and around, letting the bright one's soul show him what to do and how to do it, he slashed, parried, blocked and cut with every edge he could muster, driving the demon back to the gates and toward the mine grid. He poured in every last bit of strength he had and then some, refusing to give the demon a chance to retaliate.

Nadya and Emilian dashed in then, giving him a breather, she with the white fire, and he with a heavy saber he had picked up from the battlefield, driving the now-confused demon through the gates, and nearly to the grid, but the demon sensed the danger behind it, and redoubled it's efforts, halting Nadya and Emilian's attack, and standing at bay, refusing to go back a single inch more. Dreyfuss gathered himeslf together then, and flew, then arrowed toward the demon, determined to bull-ram it into the grid field, roaring like the flying bull he was striving to be. Nadya and  Emilian were suddenly both flung away by the demon then, which affected a turiumphant stance before teh grid, just as Dreyfuss slammed into him, knocking the demon backward into the grid and swooping upward and over, in a loop, to avoid the energies of the detonating grid... KAAAAAAPPPOOWWPPOOOWW
Judicator
Zeppelin Captain

This Is My Fancy Picture Caption Quote

« Reply #1554 on: May 29, 2009, 11:47:14 pm »

When the smoke and dust finally cleared to reveal a deformed and damaged
Aether Demon the gathered people let up cheers of triumph.But these triumphs were cut short as Shragst let out a gruesome laugh and sucked up the white fire and smoke around him,healing himself and making himself stronger.

After the initial shock of him surviving passed over everybody they began to attack,but none could make it to him before Angel's song started taking affect,he felt his power both drain and then be absorbed by a winged construct in front of him(Cain).

But Shragst would not be defeated this easily,he summed up reserve power and sprouted massive black bat-like wings lined with purple fire.He also used his power to reconfigure himself into a far taller,stronger,faster and more...better looking aether demon than he was before.All this,though,left him severly weakened and by the time he was done transforming he was at gun and sword point by half the people there,the other half had locked in his minions and were picking them off one by one.

To make matters worse Vortex came walking out at that very moment with Samuel(and Jen if thats ok).

Shragst was,to say the least,at the end of his rope,and he could take no more.He then remembered that he had to hold up for only a few more minuets before his airship was here,then he could destroy the school and be on his way.

A few minuets went by slower than one could even hope to imagine,after dodging numerous head shots and regrowing a few limbs he had to go hand to sword combat with almost six people,him being the hand one and them being the sword ones.The only reason he wasn't killed right then and there was because Samuel had suggested that they "run tests" on him and figure out what the physical capacity for Aether Demons are.

This idea,if not appreciated for the scientific standpoint,was approved for the amusement it brought to almost everyone there.

After the few minuets,which turned out to be two hours,were up,Shragst got his wish,and his air ship finally got there.Only to be destroyed by a boy going wild with some kind of mounted aether based gun.Despite the obviously horribly thought out plan Shragst had stayed optimistic and had developed a plan b,which was simple to teleport to a safer location,build up energy and abduct the baby when it was already born.

And so,that is how the horribly thought out assault ended,with the school bell ringing just as Shragst teleported to another dimension,and a bunch of servants of the Guardians cleaning up the mess and fixing everything.With everything freshly repaired,cleaned and replaced if need be it seemed like nothing went on.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 11:52:39 pm by Judicator » Logged
T.Taylor the Third
Zeppelin Admiral

A Crazy man

thethirdtea
« Reply #1555 on: May 30, 2009, 01:04:04 am »

"hmmm, how odd" trip thought as he watched the gaurdians quickly reconstructing and repairing, "I must be out of the loop"
He thought back on the battle "well it seems draf has wings now....heh..i knew that would catch on, though...his are quite diffrent than mine...demons are attacking the school for some unknown reason...well unknown to me at least...And there are several people here whom i have yet to meet...i wonder were they came from...ah well...that's what happens when you miss calculate a date and arrive later than you wanted eh, trip?...*sigh*....welp best make the best of it..dont want to cause a paradox now do i heh"

-“I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge.”
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #1556 on: May 30, 2009, 03:47:33 am »

Patrick approached Cain, healing the wound in his neck with a good dose of white fire. An approving smile on his face as he ruffled the hair of his "Little brother."
Cain turned his head a few times, flexing his neck to test the flexibility of his newly repaired hydraulics.
"Is everyone else okay? Em'? Angel?" His eyes quickly snapped open upon realizing his own wife had been defending the students at the gray room by herself. "JEN!" He dashed off towards his wife, praying that he would not find her laying on the ground in a crumpled heap or skeletonised by brutal steel skeleton claws, his wife and child reduced to meat by cruel demonic influences.
He exhaled a sigh of joious releif at the sight of a rather tired looking Jen. He ran to her side, hugging her and placing a hand over her belly, reassured upon hearing its heart beat.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1557 on: May 30, 2009, 05:27:47 am »

The Rangers began assembling one by one, at the gates. The bugler finally showed up, so Capn Mina had him sound recall, and then the rest of the rangers came streaming back from  from all over the now-restored front lawn, and even a few from still -open windows in the school, all flying back, their ather jets buzzing like so many giant demented bees. In all only one casualty had been suffered, and that when an exploding clockwork revenant's main spring had whipped across his torso; he was not dead, though, and very excited at the prospect of going to Madame Arachne's for treatment.

Esmeralda and Nadya returned to the St. Elmo, followed by Captain Mina and her Air Rangers, leaving Dreyfuss alone with Emma, Patrick, Cain, Angel, Helena, and Sigmund. "Well, folks," he said theatrically, "shall we depart for parts aetherical, or simply back to the dock?"
Vancouver Air Privateer
Zeppelin Admiral

Privateering off HMAS Landeythan

« Reply #1558 on: May 30, 2009, 05:51:17 am »

Esmond and Gloria had appeared. Vortex was not present, having to deal with the large cleanup of both the aether and physical plains.

"I don't want to rush anyone." said Esmond. "But continuing with the missions seems the best choice. Mr. O'Landry may wish to remain at the school, however. The more of this George we recover, the less paths we leave open to the enemy. We will eventually leave only the direct route to this dimension open. He will either have to stay out forever, or fight us on a fair field. That's what we want so time is of the essence."

"Blessed be Science and her handmaiden Steam;
They make Utopia only half a dream."

"So he pulls an alternating-current taser on me and tells me that only the Official Serbian Church of Tesla can save my polyphase intrinsic electric field, known to non-engineers as 'the soul.' "
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #1559 on: May 30, 2009, 06:33:31 am »

"There's no way in this world or any others that I will be leaving my wife, her baby and my school alone to the mercy of whatever tha hell is after my loved ones!"
Patrick folded his arms, his eyes burning with adamant conviction. He would not be moved from this spot, come hell or high water.

Madame Arachne wiped the sweat off her pale brow. A thin vine of black hair was pushed back into her hair which glistened from the humid air and her own sweat. The catastrophe of the acadamy had lots of people caught in the cross fire, and she was the one mopping up afterwards. The stink of blood, articial skin-grafts and iodine hung in the air. Her arms were covered to her shoulders in white rubber gloves, streaked a horrid crimson. She had puleld bullets out of children, and sewn limbs onto men who attempted to stop the posessed thugs.
"It is grim work I do..." She sighed, missing the days when a good prostitute just needed to listen and unfasten a corset with lightning speed.

MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1560 on: May 30, 2009, 08:12:47 am »

Deyfuss held a brief head-speak conversation with Jock, who at that moment was tightening up the bolts on the new drive linkage to the port side impeller, while simultaneously directing newly-dragooned orderlies (taken from among the crew) as to where in the Engineering deck to put the cots for the wounded children and men. There were also more children being cotted in the stern gallery staterooms and the former officer's mess.

Dreyfuss cleared his throat rather embarrassedly.

"Seems the St. Elmo is full of wounded, both adult and minor; apparently some of our "unwounded" rangers were tryingto put on a stiff upper lip, and were in fact wounded even more seriously than they were aware of and trying to hide. I cannot in good conscience force the Saint Elmo to go gallivanting across the Aetheric planes with so many wounded children, educational staff, and crewfolk. So, whatever is done about the missions will have to be done withoiut the Saint Elmo until all of the wounded are fit for duty or dormitory care."

"Patrick, will it be alright if the Elmo berths here,either behind or in front of the school, or should we go back to Tinker's Row Airdock? Um... I should perhaps warn you that we have quite a few wild and also some late-blooming white fire wielders among the rangers; It made the ride over from Galveston "interesting," to say the least... apparently that was why they were chosen for the honor-guard."

"We (I and Jock) have been training them and we and they have done very well so far, but I thought it only fair to tell you about them."
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 08:53:47 pm by MWBailey » Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1561 on: May 30, 2009, 04:34:53 pm »

Nadya went aboard in her usual way of reaching places that seemed out-of-reach. She went directly to the space on the engineering deck just in front of the Sick Bay door. It was well that she did so, because almost every other availabe space, besides a 5-foot-wide perimeter around the Aether collector and Expansion reciprocators and gearboxes of the propulsion system, as well as narrow paths between the rows of beds, reachingalmost half the distance into the Ship's Mess Hall was filled with cots, pallets, dragooned orderlies and de facto nurses. the whole ship seemd to be one large makeshift Hospital; they were even putting them in the cabins next to Dreyfuss's, she heard one ranger/orderly tell another.

Even bruised as she felt, her cuts and other more serious wounds and injuries having been apparently healed by her whitefire, Nadya went and presented herslf to Arachne for hospital duty.

"Cyn, Here I am. Tell me What you want me to do."
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 02:51:07 am by MWBailey » Logged
Judicator
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1562 on: May 30, 2009, 08:05:12 pm »

Vortex had busied himself with healing,repairing and re-arming the school in case of another assault.He knew that it would be a few days before the Aether Demons tried to come back again,and this time they would be more organized.And the school would need to be organized to.

The servants of the guardians were done with lawn cleanup and out door repairs and were doing mostly inside work,besides the few who were re planting stuff and fixing fountains and things.Those who didnt have any thing to do were helping with healing the wounded.

Vortex teleported beside Dreyfuss and saluted.
"Sir,"He said respectfully,having seen the power and influence the man had."I can send up plenty of extra healers/nurses to the Elmo to help get people on their feet.The repairs and cleanup is going good already and they will be done in a few hours,im sure you could use the extra help on the Elmo?

At that moment Samuel popped up from seemingly nowhere."Hi remember me?Um...yea well i was thinking maybe i could get Oluwatoyin Farai to bring the ol' HMS Judgment around to help with defense?"
T.Taylor the Third
Zeppelin Admiral

A Crazy man

thethirdtea
« Reply #1563 on: May 30, 2009, 09:29:08 pm »

Trip Had walked up to the Group right about the same time as Vortex appeared beside Dreyfuss, trip waited for him to finish talking then walked up to him. "hello I don't believe we have met, My name is Thomas Taylor, or Trip if you prefer. I'm greatly interested in you technology, for you are one  of very few people who have developed teleportation, Though officially I invented it it is always a pleasure to meet some one who has mastered it on their own."
Vortex was slightly confused by this "What? what technology?" Trip smiled "why this technology of course" he then promptly teleported across the room and back via his backpack " its okay as you can see i also have this technology, come how did you solve vertical shift of i might ask? that was one of my biggest challenges."
Judicator
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1564 on: May 30, 2009, 09:46:57 pm »

Vortex frowned at the newcomer and then addressed him sternly.
"You invented nothing!I have the natural ability to teleport and I have been around for thousands of years and so I have been teleporting for far longer than you and your puny human invention.And before that my ancestors did the same."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1565 on: May 30, 2009, 09:53:08 pm »

"Mr. Vortex, that would be Capitol," Dreyfuss said, but I must ask one condition: that they defer to Madame Arachne. She is the ship's doctor, after all, and a surgeon even I would trust -- and that's saying quite a lot."

"Mr...Socull, is it? I have no objection; however, this school and property on which we stand belongs to Mr. and Mrs. O'Landry, and it would be best to make the offer to them, as well, Since it is ultimately their child and their students who will be defended. He Paused, thinking of all of those people wounded because he had intervened.

"And now, Ladies and Gentlemen, if you will excuse me, I am tardy for duty aboard my ship. Anyone who wants to come along and pitch in will be welcome, I am sure."

Dreyfuss strode over under the aft end of the envelope of the Saint Elmo, and whistled for the crane operatorto lower the cargo platform which ha dbeen recently made into and embarkation lift, and was taken upo into the Envelope Hold along with those who came along to help, including several of Vortex's people. He felt that taking wing would be a frivolous act of egotism under the circumstances.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 09:55:03 pm by MWBailey » Logged
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #1566 on: May 30, 2009, 10:03:55 pm »

"Mister dreyfuss, I feel it would be best for us both if ye kept yer ship here. Miss Arachne will have full acess to our medical wing. Not to mention your weaponry would be good practice. If this continues, my students will need to learn more than just healing and creation to keep themselves safe from these monsters."
Patrick despised having to say that. He had wanted to keep these children as far away from weaponry as possible. He wanted these children to be ushers of a new age of peace. White fire was supposedly a gift from god, but if it brought all this trouble, maybe it wasn't as divine as he beleived.

Madame Arachne had her own greivances to deal with. A young soldier had passed on under her care, his cause of death was severe blood loss. She sighed, rinsing her hands and applying new gloves.
"Thank you for coming Nadya, I could use all the help I can get. Please use your white fiore to ease the pain of some of these people. I know you're just getting used to the stuff, but I really need the help."
Her deep, dark eyes looked into hers pleadingly. Hyacinth bore her sadness unto the young gypsie, hoping she would say yes, as she was not sure how much more of this she could take.
Judicator
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1567 on: May 30, 2009, 10:14:50 pm »

Vortex stood over s dying man and shook his head disparingly.
"The damned High Council wont heal these people,even though they have the power to save everyone here...."
He walked over to Madame Arachne.
"I know of a temporary fix that could help save alot of lives,it is underpracticed and rarely use because it is considered too dangerous but...It might work on the more severe cases."

------

After a few minuets of searching Samuel located Mrs. O'Landry,who was apparently the same woman whom he had first ran into when he got here.
"Mrs. O'Landry,would it be ok if I called in an old freind and his airship?It would help with defending the school."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1568 on: May 30, 2009, 10:22:26 pm »

Nadya 's heart went out to the older woman, not only because of their ongoing relationship, but also because, underneath all of the toughness and seemingly carefree love of fun, there was the shy, caring girl that her brothers had spoken of.

"I'll do my best, Arachne. Dreyfuss should be on board in a few more moments, and he should be able to tell me and the other wielders on board how to do the healing bit, better than I already do it.

Nadya suddenly felt all of her lover's sadness and pain, and went to her and hugged her close. "Just let it all out, Cyn, It's all right... No, you are a godsend! These people are already getting better because of you." Nadya held the older girl close, letting her love and support flow out and soothe Arachne's frayed nerves and tattered patience. They stayed that way for but a blessed, healing moment... And then several of the orderlies came by and asked for instructions for the newly-set-up Aether-burn ward that had been set up in the former officer's mess and Captain's Cabin in the stern gallery section. Arachne told them how to group the victims according to specific injury and severity, and told them to be sure that they had plenty of soothing balms.

You see what I mean, Cyn? They'd be lost without you! Nadya smiled reassuringly at her lover.

Nadya hoped she had that small chapter she had found in one of Patrick's old texts down as pat in her head as she thought.

"Well, only one way to find out," she said to herself, and set to work...

-------<|>-------

field hospitals tend to be surrounded with a coppery, iron-like taste and smell in the air; It's caused by blood, and that is, in fact what the stench is: the smell of blood.

It's a thousand times worse when it's the blood of children.

Dreyfuss was close to weeping just from the sorrow in the very air of the St. Elmo.
"Jock, " he said, motioning the Chief aside for a moment, "Is that ship's cooling unit we rigged up for the constructs' world still operational?
"Aye, sir, she is."
"let's get her started up then, shall we? Get some of this air in here moving. The sun will be up soon, and then it'll get hot, and then it'll really start to stink."

He walked into the Sick bay, and found that Arache was not to be seen. He went to the uniform locker beside the supplies cabinet, and got one of the white coats that he had meant to surprise Arachne with; it looked as if she had already found them. Ah, well, maybe i'm not completely in the doghouse, Dreyfuss thought he checked himself in the locker's mirror, and found that the wings made no really discernible lump under the coat's back. he turned back around and found himself face to face with Arachne, who raised a rather harried-looking eyebrow.

"I'm just trying to cover the torn shirt and my dirty wings, Arachne, they still have blood on them." he said.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 03:08:06 am by MWBailey » Logged
T.Taylor the Third
Zeppelin Admiral

A Crazy man

thethirdtea
« Reply #1569 on: May 31, 2009, 01:36:13 am »

TRip sat in the library thinking over the rebuke given him by vortex "Invented nothing?...biological teleportation.....hmmm if i could get ahold of him for a while i could examine him, see how it works.....heh im starting to be sound like a mad scientist...probley shouldnt go that path ah well...ill show him whos a beter teleporter...and i bet HE cant time travel..heh" he jumped out of his chair and straped on his teleportation pack and strode out of the room
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1570 on: May 31, 2009, 11:49:12 pm »

Jock didnt stop with just the big hold and hatchway cooler, but also set up smaller ones in the Stern Gallery and in the F'oc'sle cabin decks, and and made sure the head flues were all open and venting out of the top of the stair house on the Obs Deck. That done, he opened up the weather hatches on the rocket tubes, and then went down and loaded the discharge chambers with sand and cupric sulfate acid crystals.

Jock then hooked up the condensation watergathering tank to the rocket tubes, shut the weather hatches, and filled each tube with water, adding air from the compressor (used normally for short-range, air-propelled delivery of mooring grapnels and the like) to agitate tehmixture, and then let the pressure build to four atmospheres, and opened the tubes' weather hatches, causing the turbid, slightly-corrosive mixture to spill forth on the cobbles of the boulevard in front of the school, thus washing away any vestiges of bloodstains or scorch marks. Local denizens of teh neighborhood who were out early going to work or returning from it were intrigued by the activity, but since it bore the smell of cleaning fluids, they did not stop to investigate.

He left the tubes open to air-dry and went then to sick bay to pick up any changed dressings that could be salvaged, for the laundry, which still had to get done regardless of teh hour or teh stae of teh ship's company. He found that one of the large empty steel  barrels had been used for a receptacle for such.

He glanced into the sickbay itself, and sawMadame Arachne talking to(or rather confronting, more like, from how it looked) Dreyfuss. The commodore was wearing one of those new white coats he had acquired for a surprise for Arachne, and she was wearing one as well, but then she had been when jock came down from the steering room after the battle was over, so that wasnt the issue. He shrugged and carried the barrel with the used bandages in it over to the Mess Hall area, got back into the kitchen, and set up the laundry makings and started boiling the dressings with lye soap shavings from under the counter. He then helped Sgt. McLEmore, the cook who arrived with the rangers, to set up for and cook the morning meal. Today's menu was simple, given the state of many of the crew, and the fact that a large part of the ship's mess was being used as hospital space.

Toast or Biscuits with fried bacon or ham, water and fruit punch, with an option of tea for those who insisted that they drink only boiled water.  simple enough, but to fix it for teh usual crew complement plus several hundred civilian casualties, some of whom would have to be fed by hand, was quite a challenge for just two men. Luckily, Cap'n Scofield and Sgt. Tolchak had drafted and adjusted onboard duty roster, so that the normal operation of the ship would not be neglected; In walked privates Smith and Wesson...
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 03:03:39 am by MWBailey » Logged
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #1571 on: June 01, 2009, 04:36:00 am »

Madame Arachne turned to Dreyfuss, a stoic smile crossing her pale lips. Her face had gone milky white, tinged with pinkness from where she had scrubbed so violently. She was not used to such horrors as a field medic. Her skills before then had been limited to setting wounds and disinfecting cuts.
"I...I think it looks very nice on you mister dreyfuss. Very..." She choked back tears. Cruel memories of a prior marraige taught her to never show weakness before a man.
"I will be in my room mister Dreyfuss, please do not allow my any disturbances..."
She glided across the hallway, her surgeries and procedures had saved lives, but she had lost just as many. Two young men and a wounded young woman who had been simply at the wrong place at the wrong time.
Her dying words stung like a bitter dagger in her chest.
I...I can't die. I...I'm getting married tomorrow.
She opened the door to her chambers, sank to her knees at her bed and sobbed.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1572 on: June 01, 2009, 05:49:54 am »

Nadya...

Dreyfuss felt absolutely terrible. As far as he could tell, he had caused Hyacy--Arachne's--oh, hang it, you pathetic fool, he snarled at himself, call her by her given name in your own head, no matter what she calls herself, she's more like a flower than she's like the spider or the uppity weavergirl anyway!.
Dreyf? What's up?

It's Hyacynth-- Sorry, It's Arachne (no offense intended). She's retired to her room, and asked me to allow no disturbances. He nearly sobbed over the link. She's weeping, Nadya, I can hear her through the door. She ordered me to not allow her to be disturbed. I think we ought to allow her the solace. I doubt she's seen carnage on this scale before[/i]. Gods, I havent seen so many children and young people like [/i]this before in my life. I thought the Mexican Dragoons were brutal, but  this...

Anyway, please refer anybody with a question to me or Jock, or answer it yourself if you can, and lets give Hya--sorry, Arachne some privacy for a while.

Alright. I won't disturb her either, then.

Thanks, Nadya

De Nada, Comodoro.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 06:04:44 am by MWBailey » Logged
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #1573 on: June 01, 2009, 06:43:15 am »

Hours passed, Hyacinth's pillow was soaked through with bitter tears and a droplets of gin (Just a few gulps to help take the edge off) She sat up, her eyes had gone dry, it wasn't a recovery so much as it was the fact that she had run out of tears.
She stood up shakily, her face still feeling a tingling numbness from the steady stream of crying. Her cheeks had gone pink and her eyes were bloodshot. The seductive grace and maternal spirit of Hyacinth arachne was not there. Just a sort of weakened Auxillary Arachne.
She glided out of her room only enough to poke her head through the crack of her door.
"Nadya? Could you...please come here?"
Her voice came in weakly.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1574 on: June 01, 2009, 05:12:54 pm »

Nadya heard the older girl's voice, and could scarcely believe it came form the same girl that she had come to love. Nadya got up from the cot beside which she had been kneeling, and nearly ran to Arachne, her concern evident on her face. "Cin? what's wrong--?" She put her arms around Arachne's waist, her concern growing. "Whatever it is, you can tell me!"

-<o>-
Dreyfuss sat in the steering room/bridge of te St. Elmo, oblivious to all else, including the thoughts in Nadya's mind, strumming his banjo quietly (the gut strings and hide head making such relative silence possible); he strummed the banjo quietly, slowly nursing a glass of black whiskey, in order to make it possible to remain oblivious to all else. He wished that he had a mission to go on, all by himself, so that he would not have to think up ways to occupy the time, but there was nothing. Even the tape ticker in the corner had been silent for several hours. Once or twice each ten minutes or so, he heard something on the order of
Cin! everything will be alr--,  or ..LOVE you, I underst--, which he immediately cut off by stomping on one foot with another, pricking himself with his penknife, starting a new tune,  or just taking and extra-large slug of teh whiskey. After a while, he had managed a slight "buzz," as Jock would have put it, which made it possible to not be so "physically involved," (so to speak), in the process of ignoring the link. Unfortunately, it also made it hard to hear when someone called out to him via the link...  

After several more frustratingly unsuccessful attempts to block out the voice in his head, Dreyfuss decided a visit to the Wrench and Hammer was in order, and got up, put on his sword and put the Paterson and the Webley in their shoulder holsters, got his spare uniform greatcoat from the built-in armoire by the door to his cabin, and decided to visit that tailor who had offices above the haberdashery outside of which Mariana had shot him, and get some alterations made to it that woud enable it to be worn when his wings were out. As an after thought, he grabbed three of his weskits as well., and put the lot into a carpet satchel so that he could carry it in flight.

HE called jock via the link in their heads, left him, Nadya, and Myers in charge, with orders to defend the school at all costs if it were attacked,  and fled via the steering room-hatch, to the right of the windscreen. In his current state of grief, coupled with his light state of inebriation, he figured that the Nadya nor Arachne would probably never notice his absence. or at any rate, not for a long while yet.

His first stop was the Tailor's, who at first thought that he was completely mad; then Dreyfuss took off teh lab coat, unfurled his wings, and showed the tailor what he was referring to. "Oh! You mean those for Mr. O' Landry from around the corner!" It was Dreyfuss' turn to be shocked. he hadn't even stopped to think about whether or not cain's clothing were made locally...

Dreyfuss left a little while earlier, shaving left the greatcoat, the three vests and placed an order for three black-pinstriped white shirts, and three different colors of cravats. all to be picked up withn the next 8 hours; the vests, shirts, and the greatcoat to be inlet and fitted with vertical slits for the wings to poke out of when they opened.

He continued down to the Wrench and hammer, landed outside, pulled in his wings, made them lie flat, and put the white coat on over them, and went inside, where he was greeted by Malc Creedlowe and company, and spent the next few hours being pleasantly diverted by old friends and acquaintances.

HE left just before Sundown, got his package from the Tailor, paid his bill, and made it back to the steering room just as the darkness settled over the school and the airship moored beside it, causing teh ship's mess dinner bell to be rung...
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 08:51:23 pm by MWBailey » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 ... 87   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: