The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 09:54:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 [69] 70   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Welcome to the Clocktower  (Read 93837 times)
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #1700 on: March 12, 2011, 04:36:14 am »

*Dashes in, with a wild air about him, a bit disheveled, looking about suspiciously*

*Notices self asleep on floor*

"Damn!  Too early!  I must get the timing right!"

*Dashes out again*

Cheers!

Chas.

Captain Sir Charles A. Lyerly, O.B.T.
Soldier of Fortune and Gentleman Adventurer
wire: captain_lyerly, at wire office "Yahoo dot Qom"

"You'd think he'd learn."
"Heh! De best minions neffer do!"
Morganville
Gunner
United States United States

« Reply #1701 on: June 22, 2011, 06:42:59 am »

*wanders in and takes a seat having a look around*

I am currently looking for someone to help teach me the ways of Steampunk crafting... seeing as I'm doing horribly on my own. *sweatdrop*
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

« Reply #1702 on: July 02, 2011, 03:24:59 pm »

Welcome, Morganville!

I see you are interested in the ways of steamcrafting.  What problems are you encountering?

Cheers!

Chas.
Morganville
Gunner

« Reply #1703 on: July 04, 2011, 01:51:54 am »

I'm looking around for some information on how to get started on projects and what kinds of projects to start off with to get with the flow of things.
Jupiter Harsh
Snr. Officer
Italy Italy

aesthete and dandy bohemian

« Reply #1704 on: July 06, 2011, 10:58:54 am »

*Drifts in on his burgundy leather chaise longue suspended under a sleek gas bag*

'morning all

A black velvet if you don't mind, my good man. And the next round is on me

*drifts over to loom above the fireplace*

Veni, vidi, castratavi illegittimos
"But we don't really live in the past; we live in the present as it should have been if the entire 20th century hadn't gone so horribly wrong!"
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Research Air Ship R.A.S. 'Saorsa'

« Reply #1705 on: July 06, 2011, 01:11:30 pm »

I'm looking around for some information on how to get started on projects and what kinds of projects to start off with to get with the flow of things.

Morganville, how delighted we are with your company, would you like a drink - maybe tea, the Fuding White tip is particularly refreshing I find. Lemon?

Well, now that's settled, where to start with a project? What skills do you have, I mean how are you with needle and thread, paint brush, camera, musical instrument, carving knife, welding kit...

What amuses you? Poetry, art, music, sculpture, history, fiction, jewellery, fashion...?

Is there anything you need or would like to make or do?

There is no real limit here on what you do, there are no league tables of best modded NERF gun (though some would disagree) and I would therefore suggest you start small with something that amuses and interests you and is within your own ability or that maybe pushes you a bit. Then, post it! It's more about you really, why don't you tell us about yourself? Now, where has that tea got to???

Airship Artificer, part-time romantik and amateur Natural Philosopher

"wee all here are much troubled with the loss of poor Thompson & Sutton"
Morganville
Gunner

« Reply #1706 on: July 06, 2011, 02:17:53 pm »

Morganville, how delighted we are with your company, would you like a drink - maybe tea, the Fuding White tip is particularly refreshing I find. Lemon?

Well, now that's settled, where to start with a project? What skills do you have, I mean how are you with needle and thread, paint brush, camera, musical instrument, carving knife, welding kit...

What amuses you? Poetry, art, music, sculpture, history, fiction, jewellery, fashion...?

Is there anything you need or would like to make or do?

There is no real limit here on what you do, there are no league tables of best modded NERF gun (though some would disagree) and I would therefore suggest you start small with something that amuses and interests you and is within your own ability or that maybe pushes you a bit. Then, post it! It's more about you really, why don't you tell us about yourself? Now, where has that tea got to???

I shall try this Fuding White Tip and yes, lemon please.

I find myself decent with a needle and thread though I am much better with a paint brush overall. If you mean taking pictures then I am decent with that as well but not so much with the electronics inside. If I had a carving knife to practice with I could probably develop that skill and as for welding I have no experience whatsoever. With regards to musical instruments I have played classical Violin for 14 years.

While I do enjoy poetry and art in my spare time and have sculpted a few things in my days my main hobby has always been the history and folklore of vampires and the development of such legends as well as other creatures that go bump in the night. I happen to have a demonology book that I flip pages in once in a while. I do like fiction as well as historical fiction and history at that as well. My jewelry making skills are not bad and if I were to acquire more proper materials I would be able to make better pieces. My fashion sense is very good though I don't follow modern trends and have instead focused upon the more traditional Victorian styles.

I would very much like to learn some trick of the trade as well as the disassembly and reassembly of electronics into new steamier items. Leather crafting is something else that intrigues me though I would like to start of small with that as leather is a bit pricey or so I have seen. The acquisition of a decent pair of boots that wouldn't fall to shambles during my trips in my airship would be nice as well...
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

Research Air Ship R.A.S. 'Saorsa'

« Reply #1707 on: July 06, 2011, 04:52:42 pm »

Clearly Terra Firma is your veritable bi-valve mollusc Morganville!

WillRockwell, I think it was (apologies if I have got it wrong, my memory fades with the daylight) suggests the skill is in gathering bits together that have a natural affinity.  Assemble from your scrap draw stuff which looks like it might fit together aesthetically. Once you have a pleasing collection, move them around and explore the juxtaposition of the pieces until you have something that inspires you and go from there. I am trying to make a gentleman's brooch (I don't know what the correct term is) from components on a printed circuit board from an old PC. It is not easy but I am sure that there is something there and that time will produce a result. The problem with disassembling electronic devices for their components is that most domestic devices use large scale integration that is not really suitable for taking apart, even if you are a dab hand with a soldering iron. Old VCRs are usually a good source of mechanical looking devices and it has to be said the older the better as far as recoverable actual components is concerned. The problem is, if you go back too far the value of the piece of equipment is reflected in the price you might have to pay. 

Another area to explore is in writing a book that deals with your interest area. For example an Idiots Guide to Vampire Slaying, a Bestuary of Kraken and their near relatives, there are a few examples of illustrated faux Victorian 'scientific' handbooks dealing with such things on this board in Textual.

With your enviable experience of violin why not think about writing some Steampunk music? There are a number of musicians on the board who work in the various strands that make up SP music and I am sure they would be delighted to talk to you about it. Maybe even collaborate on a musical project? Such things are possible today thanks to the web and easily and cheaply available music software.

However, I understand the difficulty of knowing where to start! I began with one of the 'Gentlemen's Challenge' (see Tactile threads). They are open to everybody and provide a framework and context for you to work in, but most importantly provide a deadline and a group of like minded makers who will cheer you along.

Hope that helps and enjoy the tea!
Morganville
Gunner

« Reply #1708 on: July 06, 2011, 04:55:44 pm »

Oo.. If I could see some steampunk sheet music that would be a lot of fun. I would be able to play it out and test the feel and the tones and then begin my own.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #1709 on: July 07, 2011, 10:17:09 am »

*wanders in, gets bottle of the good stuff hidden behind wood paneling*

Ah, excellent! Still here safe and sound - I've been looking forward to this!

*opens bottle and sniffs contents, chokes slightly as nasal hairs singe* *coughs*

Yeah, still fresh as a daisy!

*pours out a measured dose and sits down in usual place*

So how is everyone?  Care for a drop? 'Though I do warn you that you to go slowly with it, or you WILL see the Devil and he'll try and rip your heart out through your kneecaps!

Anyone?...

SS

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Screaming Lord Pea Green
Snr. Officer

Where the only wrong thought...is the right one.

« Reply #1710 on: July 07, 2011, 11:59:35 am »

*opens bottle and sniffs contents, chokes slightly as nasal hairs singe* *coughs*

So how is everyone?  Care for a drop? 'Though I do warn you that you to go slowly with it, or you WILL see the Devil and he'll try and rip your heart out through your kneecaps!

Anyone?...

SS

Challenge Accepted.

The Moral High Gound - A great place to position Artillery.
Jupiter Harsh
Snr. Officer
Italy Italy

« Reply #1711 on: July 07, 2011, 01:19:23 pm »

Anyone?...

SS

Challenge Accepted.

*leaps off his flying chais longue, lands cat like and stand slowly*

Give ne a pint of that! *slight red gleam in his eye*
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

« Reply #1712 on: July 07, 2011, 02:44:39 pm »

Well, let's see - a combination of violin, woodcarving, and electronics led to this:

So yes, there are things that could be of interest to you.  There are lots of tips on "how-to" in the Tactile section, and dozens of folks who would be eager to give specific, even detailed advice to someone with enthusiasm.

Best of luck!

Chas.
helios
Zeppelin Overlord
New Zealand New Zealand

Probably not Death, the Destroyer of Worlds

eliasvonhelios
« Reply #1713 on: July 07, 2011, 07:10:30 pm »

*Puts on Drinking Hat*
I do believe that that tipple smells rather good, SS. Would you mind passing over a touch of it?

In smoggiest day, in sooted night
no ignorance shall escape my sight.
Let those who worship ignorance's might,
beware my power... Brass Goggles light!
Morganville
Gunner

« Reply #1714 on: July 07, 2011, 07:50:32 pm »

Well, let's see - a combination of violin, woodcarving, and electronics led to this:

So yes, there are things that could be of interest to you.  There are lots of tips on "how-to" in the Tactile section, and dozens of folks who would be eager to give specific, even detailed advice to someone with enthusiasm.

Best of luck!

Chas.

...  *drops glass*

It's.... it's ...  beautiful...
helios
Zeppelin Overlord
New Zealand New Zealand

Probably not Death, the Destroyer of Worlds

eliasvonhelios
« Reply #1715 on: July 07, 2011, 08:11:08 pm »

Oh come on. And the floor was clean, too. Oh well.
*Gets out the mop and frilly pink apron*
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #1716 on: July 07, 2011, 10:25:56 pm »

Challenge Accepted.

*leaps off his flying chais longue, lands cat like and stand slowly*

Give ne a pint of that! *slight red gleam in his eye*

Very well, I shall just get the extra bottle out, and you shall be at my MERC... er table drinking with me. Yeah, thats it...

*digs around in hidden booze hatch, blows dust off a bottle*
Ah, here we are... *pours out requested drinks* Enjoy... *<slightly slow, quiet evil laugh>*

SS
Jupiter Harsh
Snr. Officer
Italy Italy

« Reply #1717 on: July 08, 2011, 10:23:28 am »

*grabs bottle*
*drinks in one*
*tries to light a cigarette*
*shoots fireballs from nose and mouth*
*faints with a great deal of panache and style*
Screaming Lord Pea Green
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1718 on: July 08, 2011, 05:25:25 pm »

*grabs bottle*
*drinks in one*
*faints with a great deal of panache Pancake and style*

Fixed Tongue
Alptraum
« Reply #1719 on: July 19, 2011, 10:32:36 am »

*grabs bottle*
*drinks in one*
*faints with a great deal of panache Pancake and style*

Fixed Tongue

Wait... What?!
Screaming Lord Pea Green
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1720 on: July 19, 2011, 03:10:54 pm »

there isn't a problem in this world that cannot be solved by pancakes...
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1721 on: July 25, 2011, 09:29:38 pm »

*walks in with a butterfly net* Double stout, whatever you've got.

*stares around balefully*

Where's that Dodo? Feller in the paper's offerin' three hundred quid...

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Screaming Lord Pea Green
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1722 on: July 26, 2011, 12:22:19 am »

erm...what dodo?
*stifles a belch, letting a solitary feather slip*
Jupiter Harsh
Snr. Officer
Italy Italy

« Reply #1723 on: July 26, 2011, 04:32:28 pm »

*Sits up violently shile screaming "YEAAAAHRRGAJCBNV  GAAA!!!", bangs head on underside of his own floating couch and renders himself unconscius*
Engineer
Zeppelin Captain

The League of Bournemouth Steampunks

« Reply #1724 on: July 26, 2011, 11:42:10 pm »

Gosh! Its been a while since i've been in the joint. has the decor changed or has someone just moved things around and swept up the dust?

Anyway, to business. Barman, a double laphroaigh if you please Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 [69] 70   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: